Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is it about TS4 that makes a computer run so hot?

My last desktop ran super hot while playing TS4. Well, a couple of days ago I bought myself a gaming desktop. It has a GeForce GTX 2060 with 6 GB and an Intel i7 10700F, and even with that big boost in hardware, TS4 will make all of the fans crank up to high speed. Even the glass side panel is pretty warm to the touch. Why?

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    It's CPU intensive and poorly optimized. The team is apparently working on the simulation lag issues; hopefully that will include optimizing the code a bit so it's no longer as taxing on the CPU.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    You're right about being CPU intensive. On my last comp it would sometimes run it at over 90%
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,884 Member
    I have to use a cooling pad for my laptop when playing. Just ordered a new one with six fans. I was seriously considering a new laptop but after seeing you're having issues I doubt that would be the solution.
  • Options
    I just exited the game, and 30 seconds after that, the fans spun down to normal
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I play in offline mode and it gets less intense. I predict the constant connection/communication with Origin has a little to do with it too.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think it's orgin related. Origin without playing the sims, takes my cpu up to 90 plus. Massively slows down everything until I force quit origin and restart the PC.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, for some reason it feels like the game runs better in offline mode. Origin might be one reason.

My RTX 3080 seems to handle the game pretty well and the computer doesn't get very warm, not compared to some other games, I still get massive framedrops from time to time though and the game is very cpu intensive. I don't know how people manage to play this on old computers. At least not on older saves.
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    Yup can confirm that Origin is causing issues. If I forget to close Origin after playing sims my pc bluescreens when playing other games. Only happens when Origin is also running.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited July 2021
    Yesterday I played Sims 4 longer than I usually do. I have a gaming laptop that heats up really badly after about an hour of playing and I use a cooling pad. After playing about 3 hours yesterday I noticed that my laptop smelled like something was burning. I immediately stopped playing and closed the laptop.
    Today I've used my laptop already and it seems fine. I hope it's not going to break up when I will play Sims later today. I'm definitely not going to play more than 1-1,5 hours this time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips about Origin, everyone--when I play next, I'll try offline mode
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    The Sims is very much a CPU hog.... I remember the Sims 3 and 2 also ran my computer(s) much hotter back then too, and I've always had the latest-greatest gaming computers with massive cooling systems etc throughout all the years (I take my gaming very seriously LOL). Sims 4 doesn't seem to be any better, even though this one is supposed to be minimized for lower-end computers... but it still sucks a ton of CPU usage just like the previous generations.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,884 Member
    I don't think it's an Origin issue for me. As soon as I exit the game my laptop fans immediately stop running. With Origin still on. Then I'll shut down my laptop and get that message that Origin is still running.
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Try capping the maximum cpu load from 100% to 99% - made no difference to the quality of gameplay but reduced my maximum temperatures from 99C/100C down to 60C.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have an older desktop, it does ok for most stuff. But when it comes to playing Sims 4, I have to have a fan sitting next to it to blow away the hot air coming off my computer. I've only recently had to start doing this. If I don't do this, my computer will overheat and shut down, besides that it would be very uncomfortable just sitting this close to it.
    (I won't give my age, but let's just say I'm going through the change of life with hot flashes, so it makes it ten times worse).
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Try this:

Does your laptop feel like it's running really hard when you play The Sims 4? If it does and you play using the Origin client you can see if this helps:
    Open Origin, at the top in the menu bar select Application Settings, Scroll down to Start-Up Options and De-select Origin Helper Service.

See if that lowers your CPU load, mine was running at almost 100% playing the Sims 4 recently and it shouldn't have been anywhere near that. I don't play on a laptop but it fixed the problem for me and maybe it will help you too.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    As others mentioned, it is hardware intensive. My old laptop ran it like lava. However, my new one I sprung for a fair bit of upgraded cooling on my new thing so it stays nice and cool. I'd get one of those cooling peripherals or upgrade the paste/etc. if you are tech savvy.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,965 Member
    Vlad in swimming pants probably

but yeah i don't really know why but my computer be running like crazy sometimes when i play and sometimes it makes not a sound and there doesn't really seem to be any particular reason either
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    Origin is the top culprit I look for when my fans start going out of whack when I'm not playing any games. I don't allow origin to run when my computer starts up, but sometimes, it runs in the background anyway and I have to force it to quit through Task Manager. The CPU goes crazy when origin is running!
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    SkylunaSkyluna Posts: 1 New Member
    I had the same problem before when I bought a gaming laptop. What helped me was underclocking the CPU. Look it up on youtube, don't worry it won't damage your PC and it'snot a complicated task, it will just turn off turbo boost and reduce the heat.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2021
    I play on a 2015 laptop with 46.86GB of mods and about 400 Sims, and I don't have a problem with my laptop running hot.
    I make sure my laptop has plenty of airflow, and I keep my Saves and Screenshots folders as empty as possible. I give it airflow by playing with it on two cheap plastic shelves stuck together:
    51345265949_e1cc21eefd.jpg
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    I verified that it wasn't Origin causing the problem by closing it in task manager and playing in offline mode--made no difference in temps
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited July 2021
    It's CPU intensive as others have said, but my fans tend to stay pretty quiet while playing the Sims and I play in windowed mode (approx. 2560 x 1440) with a YouTube video playing at the same time because my monitor is a wide-screen. The only time my fans really get going is when I have Reshade on in Live Mode. I have an i9/2080 Ti, though.

ETA: What are you doing in the game? If you're building odds things or modding to have a ton of sims on a lot that may have an effect.
  • Options
    I'm just playing most of the time--no building, and the only mod I have is for woohoo, which I rarely use
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    edited July 2021
    I always make sure Origin is offline. My GPU temps are usually around 53-58 °C and my CPU temps are around 45-55 °C. I do have 7 fans and some liquid cooling though.

I always keep an eye on temps and stuff. This screenshot was after a few hours of playing. My fans are super quiet as well.
    fYoiAOU.png
    He/Him
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I am running the game on a desktop - aging i7 CPU, Nvidia 1060 6GB video card driving a 4K TV in native resolution.

CPU fluctuates between 14% to 25%. GPU about 35% with an odd peak about 70%

The game seems to slow and drags more the longer it is running. I restart about every 3 hours
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison