Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims on the New Steam Deck?

So I had heard rumors about this thing for a bit and just sort of let them fester in the back of my mind. Now it has officially been announced and preorders begin tomorrow (or later today for some). I am actually really interested in it, more than I thought I would be during the initial rumor phase.

I love handhelds, and being able to play regular PC games on the go sounds pretty great. For the record, laptops never felt as portable as they were made out to be for me. I despised having to set up, pack up, and lug around mine for classes. It was not anything special to be especially heavy, either. Laptops have ended up a PC for a non-traditional setup for me. Aka, I rarely have access to a proper desk or equivalent hard surface so a traditional desktop does not really work for me (and I have set desktops up on a coffee table). Bare minimum portability is exactly that, bare minimum, and something beyond that I find enticing.

So the idea of a super portable Steam library is fairly appealing to me. Plus it has much more storage than the Nintendo Switch at the base level and, as a PC equivalent, allows the use of Epic, Origin, Microsoft, etc. games on top of Steam. You can even download windows and what not, browse the web, etc. That means the Sims 4 should play on this thing.

Now, I am not typically into Sims mainline UI with console controls, but for the portability I think it will be a decent compromise. Especially with those touch pads acting as a laptop track pad. It seems like it will pretty well define flexibility as a handheld in usage, you just will not be able to upgrade parts beyond SD cards (something not foreign to the console market).

So what does everyone else think of this? Would you want to play Sims on a PC portable like the Steam Deck? I personally think it suits it more than a Switch port that would eat up my storage space. Plus, it would not have to be ported at all. Steam Sims players will just find the game in their Steam library upon launch. Even the pricing does not seem that prohibitive, not compared to buying a new PC or console. $400 base model is only $100 more than a Switch, which is fairly old hardware. Just $50 more than the new OLED model which is old hardware with more storage (though the same than the base Deck) and a better screen.

The Sims on the New Steam Deck? 57 votes

I am interested in the idea of PC handheld Sims and would like to try it.
21%
StrangerthanGothangelLizzychicagoClassicalSimfilipomelLairaSiggDiggitCalico45EnigmaOFFCEternalSunshineIzzyIceBellsmd0665 12 votes
I am interested in the idea of a handheld Sims, but would not be interested in trying it on the new Steam Deck.
5%
simgirl1010AstroChazzzy 3 votes
I am not interested in the idea of a PC handheld Sims, but might like it for other games.
12%
GoldmoldarMstybl95elanorbretonHarukotyanbixtersdearie_blossomAuntyCaitlin 7 votes
I am not interested in the idea of a PC handheld Sims and would not be for any other games.
56%
Akl500Pauroraael14jeepjeepcatWrenryhaneulgoodcakebaker62DarkLady2788mitchiebanjotaydevspice3Babykittyjadeannaliese39Onversercatmando830EnkiSchmidtMDianaSimsBreazonaDenimjothenightcourtSimDestroyer 32 votes
For reasons I am listing below, a Sims Nintendo Switch port is actually better than playing on a PC portable.
3%
BreeSashaFelicity 2 votes
I like the idea of PC portables, but I do not know which one is right for me. I think I would want to see if it becomes mainstream for the hardware options.
1%
PurpleHeather 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    I am not interested in the idea of a PC handheld Sims and would not be for any other games.
    If I play video games?
    I play video games.
    if i go out of house?
    I go out of house.

bring humans to my home when i video game?
    bad idea.

bring my video game with me in places with other human?
    equally bad idea.

I just am very much one task at time human and i like to immerse in whatever I'm doing at the moment

and if im out of house its certainly to do other stuff than play video games

steam deck in specific?
    no interest for I don't even use steam to begin with
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    I rarely go anywhere, so portability is not an issue for me. But if you young'uns think it's something you'd like, I hope you go for it.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    None of those options fit me. I am not interested in it. I already play with a laptop anywhere, so my game is in fact portable. We do own 2 switches, a laptop, and a desktop. I see no reason or use for a new portable.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    No interest in such things, particularly when the battery would only last about 2-3 hours when the thing is loaded. It's not something i could take with me because it wouldn't last long enough and would need a few of those power storage devices to drain from which is likely to be another £40-£60 on top of this as any work place or being at someone elses place is likely not be seen in a good light when you are leeching off their power and giving them an extra few pounds on the bills.

There is also the OS it runs, it would mean running a version of Proton for windows games, this includes TS4 and at the best of times Origin is extremely resistant to being operated by Linux emulators or emulator like software like WINE, Lutris or even Proton, so this will require the compliance of EA to make their DRM platform more easier to work with for TS4.

The specs aren't well known and neither do we know the controls are compatible with TS4 or for that matter any EA title on Origin outside of Steam. Too many unknowns and not enough information at this point.

As it is i'm not remotely interested to consider getting one.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    None of the options really matched my situation. I was very interested in the idea until I learned that the deck is only 4.6 inches tall. I already find my iPad Mini a bit small for gaming, so the deck probably won’t work for me.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I don't think this would have the specs to run The Sims 4 decently and I don't think the Sims is a good game for a handheld at any rate.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited July 2021
    @NorthDakotaGamer I think the not interested for Sims or other games fits. I understand you consider laptops portable, but you have to call it something and the PC Portable seems to be best name available (considering it is considered a PC subgenre and the Steam Deck isn't the first). If I called it mobile everyone would assume phones or tablets and this doesn't connect to cellular data either, even if portable and mobile have very similar definitions, too.

@Hoverael Really? I 100% get handhelds not being your thing, but I've watched several interviews and read on the reservation page and there seems to be a fair bit of information now: AMD APU processor, Zen 2 4c/8t 2.4-3.5 GHz CPU, 8 RDNA 2 CUs 1.0-1.6 GHz GPU, 4-15W APU Power, storage depends on which of the three models you buy (64 GB eMMC - 512 GB high speed NVMe SSD), and 16 GB RAM. Not to mention all the control inputs. The battery life was said to be 2-8 hours, but yeah, I'm betting 4 for normal play like you.

As for proton, I haven't had a linux machine prior so I'm just going to assume you know more about the compatibility than me. There are claims that this is a new version of their OS that will be more compatible with foreign games and that the OS isn't locked so you can download Windows, but I cannot exactly speak to that either. So I am going to defer to you there and say it is more useful if you already have connections to the Steam ecosystem.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Console can barely handle sims. Can't imagine something like this. They would have to dum it down like a mobile game....i just don't see it working well
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    It doesn't matter that much where I'm playing sims (besisdes the fact that console can't use mods), the only thing is that I don't want the devs to compromise the game quality just to fit all platforms. By that I mean... look at the size of the sims 4 worlds ever since Cats & Dogs were released... They are smaller and smaller, and the devs didn't even bother to add a CAW to compensate for that. And, gues what? Cats and Dogs was the first EP released after the devs had ported Sims 4 to console! :neutral:
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't think the main sims game would work that well on a tiny screen as it's not optimised for it, but I did used to play the sims games on the DS and those were fun
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    While I do adore my switch and it’s portability I’m not super interested in this. It’s cool for sure but I’m not sure sims would even run well on it along with a few of my steam games (aka planet zoo that struggles on nasa level computers). It just doesn’t seem worth it for me personally.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    For reasons I am listing below, a Sims Nintendo Switch port is actually better than playing on a PC portable.
    I already own a switch. I like the idea of a handheld PC, but this is one where I'll wait a few generations. I do have a few games that I own on PC and on Switch and while I wish I could transfer saves between the two, I just don't think that most of the games I play on PC would transfer well to handheld.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Im only interested if its a sims spin off, original title games. Like urbz, my sims,sims 2/psp/ds.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    That is teeny tiny, my phone is bigger than that!

That is for sure something I would not ever consider getting, the sims would be the size of ants.

And, when I play, I close my door and lock the outside world out, so portability is not something I would need. When I am not home, I obviously have some errands to do or I'm visiting friends and family, going out to eat, etc. And, I'm not so obsessed with the sims (or gaming in general) that I would be having withdrawal symptoms from being away from my pc and game. If I need to get online for something, I can do that with my phone, so I would have no need for a teeny tiny hand held personal computer.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    If I'd purchased Sims through Steam already, I likely would be interested. But I didn't, I purchased it through the origin store. So that's a no for me. I do plan to buy one eventually, when they're on the market for a while and not as expensive, and are tested by players as well, for some of my games that are on steam.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I never leave the house so my laptop is portable enough for me. I also own two switches so I don’t need another handheld gaming device.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2021
    I don't have a need for a portable gaming device right now. I have a laptop and a desktop PC.

Money for gaming will go towards upgrading the desktop PC.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm not really interested in it. I bought a switch lite so that I could play Animal Crossing and now I barely use it.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    No, they'd be so tiny I wouldn't be able to see anything. Also, I bought my games thru Origin. I am not buying them again.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    I can't see myself getting something like that but I could see my nieces ending up with them.

I don't play enough games to warrant it, and of what few things I have played, outside of sims I mush prefer access to a mouse and keyboard so I can set up a ton of keybinds and move / turn rapidly. Those are not options with 'controllers'.

For Sims, that looks like something where my mods would not be available to me, which if so would make it a non-starter.

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    It doesn’t even seem like it could even handle every Sims 4 game. Plus you waste your money on that getting the cheapest one and you need to shell out more money for more storage. So it doesn’t seem worth it.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the responses. To be honest, I am not exactly surprised. As mentioned prior, I don't exactly desire mainline Sims on console without it being a spinoff like they used to make, but I find the idea of the PC portable much more promising.

But I 100% understand the majority of skepticism. Plus if a handheld is not your thing, it just isn't. Though I do remember a subsection of the community wanted a Switch port, and I am surprised that they would not somewhat be interested in this instead. I love my Switch, but it is weaker than this and requires proper porting.

Anyway, I am curious how popular it turns out to be. I have seen some speculation that casual players will lap it up, but, honestly, I don't think they'd touch PC portables until they become established.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Well, if I could I'd change my vote and am now on the reservation list. It's big and it's heavy, but not nearly as big and as heavy as my laptop. AMD must have some faith in this as well given they're making a custom chipset for it. I can see playing Sims 3 on it, though I would not want to buy it through Steam. I have a lot of indy games that should run just fine on it. My guess is it will handle Sims 4 just fine at 720p, but I'm hoping I won't have to install Windows to run Origin. It wouldn't surprise me if there ended up being an app for both Origin and Epic.

I am an older gamer, with very old parents, and I help them a lot, including taking them to doctors appointments. I use my switch to pass the time, but being able to just have one copy of a game I love and being able to take my save game with me will be cool. I asked my husband what he thought, and he said, "Merry Christmas!"
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    No because of not having access to mods or cc.

I have Stardew Valley on both the PC and Switch and though I do enjoy having it on the Switch since I can play it when not at home, there’s a meaty selection of mods available for the PC that boost its playability. Want a tractor to ride? PC only. Want a totally new map to play? PC only. Anime style bachelors? PC only. (Though I’m totally fine how Harvey looks.)
  • Options
    Wrenry wrote: »
    No because of not having access to mods or cc.

I have Stardew Valley on both the PC and Switch and though I do enjoy having it on the Switch since I can play it when not at home, there’s a meaty selection of mods available for the PC that boost its playability. Want a tractor to ride? PC only. Want a totally new map to play? PC only. Anime style bachelors? PC only. (Though I’m totally fine how Harvey looks.)

This does do mods, though. It is a PC, not a console.