Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you like Mid Century Modern? If so, what is your favorite that you have made or found in Sims 4?

I grew up in an Eichler house, and I think that has made me rather partial to such architecture. Do you like Mid Century Modern? Do you like playing houses of the style in sims 4? Do you like building in that style?

I'm not that good at building houses, as my brain tends to drive me to build things that are symmetrical and boxy. Tends to be good for gameplay but not for looks.

Comments

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    MCM is one of my favorite architectural designs and I gravitate to that style a LOT. I never, ever play big mansions or large houses that have over 2-3 bedrooms. I much prefer all of my played houses to be only one floor and the majority of mid-century modern houses are typically only a single story home so it fits me perfectly.

I actually turned Newcrest into an MCM neighborhood with all houses and community venues only in that style and I love it!

MCM is actually one of the styles that is quite easy for me to build myself (and I'm not a builder by any means) when I can't find something I like to download.

I don't always decorate it traditional 60's retro, mid-century modern furniture and decor. I much prefer muted, neutral colors and have a tendency to stick to more scandinavian/minimalist styles for my personal played house.

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited July 2021
    naw I mostly find midcentury modern quite meh and I wish they would stop repeating that build theme with packs

might be because where i live pretty much all the annoying boring places like schools and waiting rooms and offices have that decor style and not in like fancy innovative way

it just gives me quite uncomfy vibes and i rather find antiques and such to be the good vibes for myself

for my sims though decor theme is not about what i like its about what suits them and what they (seem to) like

and some of them yeah live in midcentury modern/ modern kinda houses

(well especially since I mainly play premade families)

I do tend to keep some type of symmetry/balance too though
    it really irritates me if something in build is awfully unbalanced.. which is probably why yeah i don't really excel in modern exteriors
    I just can't do that to myself

eventually will have to though cause del sol hills are still waiting to be built and i have to make at least one modern flat mansion there
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    MCM is one of my favourite styles, I can't say I build MCM well but many of my builds are inspired by MCM elements.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    I like it. I live in a MCM house and the interior style is a mix of muted MCM and Industrial.
    Although I build a lot, I don't really build MCM in the Sims. The only MCM I ever built in TS4 was...my house. Only because I'm planning for an extension. :D

In the Sims I build haunted castles, steampunk mansions and cozy cottages. It's very unlikely that I will ever live in one of those...
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited July 2021
    I like MCM furniture, but I do not like the house styles except for the ones designed by Frank Lloyd Wright or any of his apprentices (and only because of all of the hidden storage and built in furniture). They got it so right as far as aesthetic and function. Most of the MCM houses I've been in have a lot of dead space or areas that don't really have a purpose. The thing that always bothers me about the MCM houses in my area are the huge stairways that take up so much space and then small living spaces.

In game, I do enjoy playing the style, though I don't build them myself. I think I'd like to recreate some of the more famous ones and see if I can make them a little more functional.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I'm not too fond of the style really, but one major plus is that most MCM floorplans are single storey.
    So far I've like built one shell in this style, it's fun to build this type of house, but the aesthetic just doesn't really interest me. I guess I'll build more of them once I tackle Del Sol Valley and Oasis Springs.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited July 2021
    MCM is my number one favorite style. I also love rustic cabins and weird builds, but MCM definitely dominates my game.
    I like symmetry by the way. :)
    And I'm so jealous that you got to grow up in an Eichler house! As a child, that was one of my dreams.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I do like MCM in general, but in gameplay I sometimes find them a bit limiting for my tastes. It really depends on the needs of the sim(s) living there, though.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I like MCM furniture, but I do not like the house styles except for the ones designed by Frank Lloyd Wright or any of his apprentices (and only because of all of the hidden storage and built in furniture). They got it so right as far as aesthetic and function. Most of the MCM houses I've been in have a lot of dead space or areas that don't really have a purpose. The thing that always bothers me about the MCM houses in my area are the huge stairways that take up so much space and then small living spaces.

In game, I do enjoy playing the style, though I don't build them myself. I think I'd like to recreate some of the more famous ones and see if I can make them a little more functional.

Frank Lloyd Wright is definitely legendary. Fallingwater is on my list of top 10 places I wish I could live.
  • Options
    SimKeats wrote: »

Frank Lloyd Wright is definitely legendary. Fallingwater is on my list of top 10 places I wish I could live.

I used to live in the town he came from and I got to tour quite a few of his first homes and I've had the pleasure of touring some of his granddaughters designs. They're amazing! The piano hinge doors are so awesome. I mean...I can't even imagine how long those hinges took to place. LoL
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have been in several beautiful churches that use Eichler-like design. I love that style for a church or library or school. It doesn't really feel homey to me though.

I don't love that late 60s-70s ranch style of house with the low ceilings.

I love Craftsman and California Mission style homes. (Though I suppose that's a bit older than mid-century...)

• Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    this is very interesting - in the UK the only one storey homes we have (apart from flats) are bungalows and 75% of them are mostly lived in by elderly/disabled persons as its easier to have access to all rooms and get about. I had to look up mid century moderns and Eichler Homes, got some great floor plans! IRL I live in a two storey house, but in the Sims 95 per cent of the time I build bungalows because its easier to keep track of where my sims are and what they are up to!!
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I have been in several beautiful churches that use Eichler-like design. I love that style for a church or library or school. It doesn't really feel homey to me though.

I don't love that late 60s-70s ranch style of house with the low ceilings.

I love Craftsman and California Mission style homes. (Though I suppose that's a bit older than mid-century...)

I love craftsman style as well, particularly a fan of Greene and Greene. Not as much a fan of Mission style.
    Interestingly enough, the town I live in now, is mostly victorian, craftsman, and mission style houses. Sadly though, a lot of the victorians are only two colors of paint, and at this point, almost any style of house around here may have a stucko finish, even some historic victorians that were definitely siding/shingles etc. previously.
  • Options
    wahini2024wahini2024 Posts: 547 Member
    I don't know if I have favorite 🤔
    I tend to design and decorate to the sims personality, story etc. I don't put as much effort into curb appeal as I do the interior which can literally be a suburban cookie cutter but that sim is all about boho or island decor. It really depends on the situation for me
    I also don't really match neighborhood themes so if they feel like a sim that would have a palm tree in New crest but they aren't "island life" but maybe just love costal themes then they get a palm tree.
    So... yeah...I decorate to the sim and not to a particular fave I have.
  • Options
    Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    Yes, I like that style, I used to build it a lot in the past, but now I'm more into the victorian style :)

Here are two houses i built based on that style:
    [img][/img]OP1UjMk.png
    [img][/img]7qqpEBA.png
  • Options
    Well, you guys inspired me to give this style a go. Found a cute little house on Zillow for inspiration and I love how it turned out! I even removed my mods and CC so I can be more creative with the in-game and debug objects.

9M2H8ny.jpg

oRTlf0s.jpg

mKO341e.jpg

hwrXlGZ.jpg

FZITfQ3.jpg

TnRWic6.jpg

DvR76zA.jpg

J7jRquf.jpg

3rv3hTE.jpg

Z12aOKl.jpg

S3YtOXV.jpg

PBP9a7d.png

SaXvUfT.jpg

ytQl0JX.jpg

kqnPg9m.jpg

• Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Well, you guys inspired me to give this style a go. Found a cute little house on Zillow for inspiration and I love how it turned out! I even removed my mods and CC so I can be more creative with the in-game and debug objects.

Super Cute! You did an awesome job, not only on building but decorating too! It always amazes me how good some houses can look with just game items.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    It's handy for my Futuristic play.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    aw too bad @SimKeats - victorians ought to have lots of color :)

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    No, not a fan of Mid Century Modern at all. It's probably my least favorite style. I look at it and I just think of those old ugly cinema styles in the 1970s. Too many straight lines and bright awful color combos.

But I'm from New England where we have a variety of Victorian mansions and Federal styles and Georgian, Colonial, Shingle and the like (as well as Farmhouse and Ranch and Cape Cod and everything else, lol). I like architecture that looks like it has a history or mystery or that it's haunted or hiding magic or secrets. Probably has to do with the kinds of books I read growing up. The House With A Clock In Its Walls comes to mind, that's still one of my favorite stories. (Not the film, the movie changed everything and was a horrible travesty.)

Frank Lloyd Wright is pretty cool though. He does some really unique designs that are truly fascinating.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    One more. This one is inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's Rosenbaum House.

Smsl81A.jpg

XkFY84i.jpg

xHHBPyg.jpg

l9VVA4F.jpg

ajLvn7r.jpg

In6R1nv.jpg

VIHQ7nc.png

CLtrh9T.jpg

LSL6V8r.jpg

6319wvF.jpg

kfLrwgP.png

RWZiR59.png

mnlVejA.png

91WV7lq.png

JyB3ZMK.png

VI95DbT.png

oITL0dg.jpg

2T9o5eO.png

• Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I don't care for mid-century modern very much in general and I really don't care for the Ikea furniture style either.
    I loved the Moroccan style and wish we could have a lot more of that added to the game. I like the colors and curved lines.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited July 2021
    LiELF wrote: »
    No, not a fan of Mid Century Modern at all. It's probably my least favorite style. I look at it and I just think of those old ugly cinema styles in the 1970s. Too many straight lines and bright awful color combos.

Gah, me too, that awful dark brown or pea soup green long 🐸🐸🐸🐸 carpet and dark gloomy interiors. Gives me hives to this day. ;)

The edited out word is that carpet with the long yarn pile, s h a g carpet, I wasn't being naughty. lol