Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Canning

SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
Can't wait to learn more about the canning! I do use a mod currently, and it is fun too, but I guess the new will be even more EA match, and also those small labels look kinda cute :)

screen3ep11.jpg

Now I wonder how it will work in game, like if a produce can be served in various settings, like jam on bread and pickles as snack or whatever. I hope serving will transfer to a group meal, not like with the honey, that you simply eat the full glass/can. I also wonder if canned stuff will go spoiled over time (should take long, but might look weird if you can enjoy someting your greatgreatgranny canned 150 yeas ago ;) .

Canned stuff seems like the perfect gift, a way to make a little more money from selling your produce, and the best of all you can do it without running a big farm. In my game a sim living in a San Myshuno flat makes extra income from canning. In smaller apartments/houses it will be a good thing that canning is done on the regular stove.

I wonder if kids can learn canning, maybe it will be a no-kids thing due to dealing with very hot items.

Also think canned stuff will make for great decor in a kitchen as well as restaurant and store etc.

What do we actually know about canning, except being connected to the already existing cooking skill?
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
Post edited by Simmerville on

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Can't wait to learn more about the canning! I do use a mod currently, and it is fun too, but I guess the new will be even more EA match, and also those small labels look kinda cute :)

Now I wonder how it will work in game, like if a produce can be served in various settings, like jam on bread and pickles as snack or whatever. I hope serving will transfer to a group meal, not like with the honey, that you simply eat the full glass/can. I also wonder if canned stuff will go spoiled over time (should take long, but might look weird if you can enjoy someting your greatgreatgranny canned 150 yeas ago ;) .

Canned stuff seems like the perfect gift, a way to make a little more money from selling your produce, and the best of all you can do it without running a big farm. In my game a sim living in a San Myshuno flat makes extra income from canning. In smaller apartments/houses it will be a good thing that canning is done on the regular stove.

I wonder if kids can learn canning, maybe it will be a no-kids thing due to dealing with very hot items.

Also think canned stuff will make for great decor in a kitchen as well as restaurant and store etc.

What do we actually know about canning, except being connected to the already existing cooking skill?

In the trailer it showed a jar of aubergine preserve, so I wonder if produce from the grocery store will be available only in season and whether fruits and vegetables will start to lose their quality over time. Until now it was possible to keep it indefinitely and we could buy the seeds from the pot or telephone but my sims used to eat them. So I do wonder if canning will change how vegetables and fruits work in game.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I don't think they've given us any information about how canning works yet, except that it's an extension of the cooking skill. (Thank goodness, we don't need another huge object.)

I agree that the labels are super cute! I am really looking forward to the addition of this skill, and I'm hoping they tell us more about how it works soon.
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited June 2021
    Will be interesting. Did @icemunmun say she worked on the EP?
    Images from her canning mod
    Untitled-1.jpg

Also @Simmerville looks like that girl in the photo wants steak and eggs and now I do too, with some asparagus.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    troshalom wrote: »
    Will be interesting. Did @icemunmun say she worked on the EP?
    Images from her canning mod
    Untitled-1.jpg

Also @Simmerville looks like that girl in the photo wants steak and eggs and now I do too, with some asparagus.

Awww, that mod looks awesome! I thought I had icemunmun's canning mod, but it must be an early version. My sim can make preserves but I never saw those detailed servings.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I hope canning in Cottage Living is at least at the level of the Sims 3 Store Canning station and its products. In the Sims 1, there was a canning station but it was very basic. Using it produced a crate of 6 jam jars which your sim could sell immediately or give away as a gift (which did have the advantage of providing a healthy relationship boost in a game where it was notoriously hard to maintain relationships).

In the Sims 3, your sims could either can, preserve or pickle most produce in the game except for the life fruit and flame fruit (I assume because of their special properties). The resulting jars were each distinctive both in the interior of what you could see through the glass, and with a unique label/name. Most of the berries and fruits made jams, but tomatoes uniquely produced ketchup; oranges, lemons and limes produced marmalade; cucumbers could be made into either pickles or relish; eggs could be pickled; cocoa beans made chocolate spread. The jams could be spread on either toast or scones for "smothered toast" or "smothered scone" as a dish to be eaten. Unfortunately you couldn't sell any jams or preserves at the consignment store or through the bakery, but only directly from the sims inventory or the station.

I don't like when the developers take away a functionality that previously existed in an earlier game, so I hope that we can at least do all of that in Cottage Living, and hopefully more. Ideally I would like to have a host of unique jams and spreads (for every harvestable and for combinations of harvestables -- which you couldn't do in the Sims 3), with their own proper names and appearances, as well as the ability to spread jam or preserves on any bread, scone, or baked pastry in the game. It would also be nice if sims could take preserves with them tomb-exploring and adventuring in Jungle Adventure and eat them directly from the jar without any fear of them spoiling (because that desiccated grilled cheese has always looked so disgusting to me).

It would be even better if jams or preserves could also be ingredients in certain dishes, like varieties of jam being used in jam tarts or pies, or ketchup being added to fish and chips or hotdogs and hamburgers, etc. It would also be nice if there were a few new recipes that you could only make if you had jam or preserves in your sim's inventory such as jam-filled puff pastries, victoria sandwiches, cobblers, crostadas, black forest cake, etc. (We're only getting a few new English-style recipes like beef wellington so I rather doubt that there will be many new options for canned goods to serve as ingredients in new recipes, sadly). It would also be nice to be able to sell jams and preserves on Plopsy and through the sale table, as well as at the new grocery stall in the new town square.

I expect I will be disappointed in the amount of new foods we will get from canning, and we will only get jam on toast, and if we are lucky, on scones, but I am still glad that canning is coming back to the Sims 4 at last.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    It sounds like the canned produce can be used in place of fresh produce -- so if you want to make spaghetti sauce but tomatoes are out of season you can use canned tomatoes instead. I wonder if quality will be determined by the quality of the produce, the Sim's Cooking skill, or a combination of both. And canned produce might make a good gift, particularly for Foodie Sims; that'll come in handy if we ever get an actual attraction system for matching up Sims.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    If it's a skill, I hope it's an easier one to do than Herbalism which is the one skill that eludes me because I can't seem to find anything required. This does look like a lot of fun though and I agree with the labels being adorable. The jar is also cute.
    1500x500.jpg
  • Options
    It sounds like the canned produce can be used in place of fresh produce -- so if you want to make spaghetti sauce but tomatoes are out of season you can use canned tomatoes instead. I wonder if quality will be determined by the quality of the produce, the Sim's Cooking skill, or a combination of both. And canned produce might make a good gift, particularly for Foodie Sims; that'll come in handy if we ever get an actual attraction system for matching up Sims.

Yes, and that's so cool that preserves can be used for cooking later. They c an also be packed into the picnic basket and it seems there will be some typical picnic meals made from it. Basically I love the decor value of these preserve jars, and will definitely build a pantry in many of my households where cooking or farming is essential :)
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I LOVE when they come out with things that allows me to eliminate another mod😆😆 love mods but (most) add glitches I prefer not to deal with. Almost lost a precious sim from a mod a few days ago. Luckily I was able to delete the mod and re-download my sim from the gallery with no farther issues. But yea, excited for this! I'm wondering now if simmers regret getting long meal times nerfed.🥲 now that means picnics are over in 3 sec or less. And all that canning goodness will be consumed and over in 3 bites😑
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    If it's a skill, I hope it's an easier one to do than Herbalism which is the one skill that eludes me because I can't seem to find anything required. This does look like a lot of fun though and I agree with the labels being adorable. The jar is also cute.

Canning is based on the regular cooking skill.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I am pretty pleased with the canning details I've learned so far. Sixteen varieties with just the basegame and Cottage Living is pretty good for a start; I think I saw preserves made of blackberry, apple, cowplant, one with a label of an egg with milk which is probably custard, aubergine, lettuce, eggs, strawberry, tomato, something red (a berry) that looks like it could be raspberry (which I hope means this pack will include it as a new harvestable), pumpkin, watermelon and the new mushroom. There were two varieties whose labels I couldn't interpret, but they looked maybe meat related? So that is a pretty decent amount, although there are certain strange omissions I don't quite understand.

Sadly, there didn't seem to be any jars of cherry, pear, plantain, lemon, dragonfruit or pomegranate. I don't know why these basegame fruits weren't included in the canning system (at least according to what was shown in the trailer), since many of them are often commonly used in preserves. I do hope some day that they are added -- if only because cherry jelly and lemon marmalade are delicious and ought to be included. I also can't help but wonder if there will be any crosspack functionality with other EPs and GPs so that fruits from these other packs can also be used to make preserves or jam, (like elderberries, huckleberries, pineapple, avocado, and coconut).

I do really like the possibility that sims can use preserves as ingredients when certain fruits and vegetables are out of season for those off-the grid and simple living households, but I also hope we get some new dishes for which these canned goods can serve as new or exclusive ingredients. For instance, there looked to be at least one new pie in the trailer, a sort of orange-looking pie that I am hoping is pumpkin. It would be great if these jams could be spread on toast and scones (and crumpets!) as in the Sims 3 too.
  • Options
    Sadly, there didn't seem to be any jars of cherry, pear, plantain, lemon, dragonfruit or pomegranate. I don't know why these basegame fruits weren't included in the canning system (at least according to what was shown in the trailer), since many of them are often commonly used in preserves. I do hope some day that they are added -- if only because cherry jelly and lemon marmalade are delicious and ought to be included. I also can't help but wonder if there will be any crosspack functionality with other EPs and GPs so that fruits from these other packs can also be used to make preserves or jam, (like elderberries, huckleberries, pineapple, avocado, and coconut).

I love avocados, but avocado preserves seem pretty questionable to me. It would be gray goop within hours. But I need, at a minimum, cherry and elderberry preserves of some kind! I'm also pretty obsessed with pineapple spread in real life at the moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Amapola76 wrote: »

I love avocados, but avocado preserves seem pretty questionable to me. It would be gray goop within hours. But I need, at a minimum, cherry and elderberry preserves of some kind! I'm also pretty obsessed with pineapple spread in real life at the moment.

It's true! Avocados are more useable in salads and salsas, I guess. Mind you, I wouldn't have thought there could be any sort of lettuce or aubergine preserve either, but apparently they're a thing. However, regardless, I would certainly like to have cherry, pineapple and elderberry jellies, and also coconut milk. In real life I use coconut milk a lot in certain curries and any kind of Thai dish, and it would be great to have as an ingredient. I also have very fond memories of my mother's canned peaches and pears (nothing else compares), so I wish we could have pear preserve. I know if you have Get to Work, all these fruits are useable in the fruit pie, or and you can also bake lemon meringue and cowplant essence meringue pies, but it would also be nice to have them as preserves.
  • Options
    Here's a picture captured from today's trailer video, as posted on my blog. A bit blurry, but it shows the 16 versions.

Canning-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Mind you, I wouldn't have thought there could be any sort of lettuce or aubergine preserve either

You know, I thought the lettuce conserve was odd at first, but then I remembered that I have a book about traditional preservation methods that don't involve water bath canning, and there's a whole section on heads of lettuce preserved in brine, which apparently was a very popular traditional method of preserving lettuce in colonial America. Who would have thought?
  • Options
    plutoplumbobplutoplumbob Posts: 47 Member
    > @Simmerville said:
    > Yes, and that's so cool that preserves can be used for cooking later. They c an also be packed into the picnic basket and it seems there will be some typical picnic meals made from it. Basically I love the decor value of these preserve jars, and will definitely build a pantry in many of my households where cooking or farming is essential :)

You mentioning a pantry made me think of something. I wonder how cooking will work if sims can only use the ingredients they have; will they have to have the ingredients in their inventory or will they know to get something from a shelf or the fridge? hopefully theyll explain in the livestream!
  • Options
    > @Simmerville said:
    > Yes, and that's so cool that preserves can be used for cooking later. They c an also be packed into the picnic basket and it seems there will be some typical picnic meals made from it. Basically I love the decor value of these preserve jars, and will definitely build a pantry in many of my households where cooking or farming is essential :)

You mentioning a pantry made me think of something. I wonder how cooking will work if sims can only use the ingredients they have; will they have to have the ingredients in their inventory or will they know to get something from a shelf or the fridge? hopefully theyll explain in the livestream!

No idea, but I guess they would need to have those ingredients in their inventory (or perhaps preserves can be stored in the fridge, too?) looking forward to livestream :)
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    I'm looking forward to this! Now I can make use of the City Living produce stand more!
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited July 2021
    I LOVE when they come out with things that allows me to eliminate another mod😆😆 love mods but (most) add glitches I prefer not to deal with. Almost lost a precious sim from a mod a few days ago. Luckily I was able to delete the mod and re-download my sim from the gallery with no farther issues. But yea, excited for this! I'm wondering now if simmers regret getting long meal times nerfed.🥲 now that means picnics are over in 3 sec or less. And all that canning goodness will be consumed and over in 3 bites😑

@Babykittyjade

There's a mod over at Mod The Sims called "QuickEats" by Mikya that speeds up or slows down your sims' eating times. There's 4 different versions of the mod: Slow-Eater, Peckish, Hangry, and Ravenous and you choose which one to put in your game (you can only use one mod at a time). And the mod is kept up-to-date with this latest patch.

I'm thinking the slow-eater version would be right up your alley.... I've seen you mention a few times how much you hate the new sped up eating times in the game, so maybe this mod will solve that problem for you? Not only can this mod slow down (or speed up) eating times, but unlike other eating speed mods, this one also allows your sims to still interact with others while they're eating.

Anyways, maybe give it a try? With any luck, hopefully this mod will be the answer you're looking for! :)
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain