Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a PRIDE location in your game?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2021
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Jyotai wrote: »
    A Pride location would be like a Chinatown in both it's purpose and effect.

If you look at these places in the real world, and as a native of San Francisco I'm blessed with the 2 most famous of them both being in my hometown, ask why they formed and what purpose they serve and the answers come back to some very unpleasant events and motives.

These are communities that were formed to protect people against attack in the case of the Castro District, and because the city forced them to live in cramped underserved quarters where they could be more easily targeted in the case of Chinatown.

@Jyotai In my experience, not always. A reason why LGBTQ people would visit, go to a pride location in real life is to meet other members of that community, make friends or find a date.
    For example it is incredibly difficult for a gay man to flirt in a non-gay bar because there is no way of knowing if the other person will be interested in a same-sex relationship. Usually when we don't know a person's sexuality we assume they are straight.
    So gay men need a place where they can go and know that the people in that place will be interested in a same-sex relationship. They need a place to go and flirt and talk up guys.
    It's a convenience thing because gay men are a lot more rare and if one spends their time trying to find a same-sex partner in other places, one might as well search forever.

Look, the reason you go to a gay bar to meet guys is not so much to avoid rejection - gay guys turn down gay guys all the time - but to avoid angry or violent confrontations, possibly fatal.

@Sindocat I think I know the reason why I go to gay bars. Like I said one reason is because I just don't like hitting on straight guys.
    Other reason is that gay guys are a minority. If I go to "normal" places and try to find one guy who is interested in other guys I would probably have to search for months to get a date.
    Also by going to gay bars I avoid the risk of falling for a straight guy that will never like me. Yes, not every gay man will like me either but at least I'll have a higher chance there. In non-gay bars you see 20 guys you find attractive and you can be sure that none of them will be interested in a same-sex partner.
    At least when I go to gay bars I have an equal chance like everyone else.

Yes your reasonings are also true but let's not act like if I went to normal bars I would have any chance at all. Gay men are much rarer and unless you have them all in one room together it's difficult to have a normal love life like straight people.

You might study the history but I live it.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I'll bet you dollars to donuts I have been living it longer. My point stands. You have your cruise-y bars because we needed somewhere to dance without getting beaten up. Appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I'll bet you dollars to donuts I have been living it longer. My point stands. You have your cruise-y bars because we needed somewhere to dance without getting beaten up. Appreciate it.

@Sindocat Did I say the opposite? @Jyotai and you said that LGBTQ locations only exist to protect us from attacks and we wouldn't need them if it wasn't for that.
    And I said no that's not true, there are a lot more reasons why people feel the necessity to go to these places and presented my arguements.

If gay bars were created to protect us back then is another story, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they have other reasons to exist as well and are vital for a lot of young people trying to lead normal love lives without the struggle of trying to find 1 gay in a room of 1000 straights.
  • Options
    When EA/Maxis partnered with the Trevor Project for its LGBT+ content release celebrating 50 years after Stonewall in 2019, they chose a project whose focus is (and remains) suicide prevention. When the movement - that is, as a concerted effort to address social bias and criminalization of Queer lives - began around 1890, it was begun with the aim of suicide prevention. That's been top priority all along. It's what Magnus Hirschfeld began his research to address, and it's still a concern.

Community is life-support. Whether that's to encourage each other where others won't, or to stand together against violence perpetrated against us, it's why we congregate and create spaces. So we can breathe. So we can be ourselves. So we can lay that weight aside. Any benefit of an easier hookup is obviated by dating apps. Except those get used to target us, too. So tell me again about how it's not about safety?

Actually, don't. I have blocked you so I don't say any of the very rude things I am thinking. Toodles.
  • Options
    Any benefit of an easier hookup is obviated by dating apps. Except those get used to target us, too. So tell me again about how it's not about safety?

I'm just saying it's not just about safety like you guys are claiming. I go to gay bars for many other important reasons other than to feel safe.

Actually, don't. I have blocked you so I don't say any of the very rude things I am thinking. Toodles.

Okay...
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    I remember the good old days of last Saturday when this thread was about in-game lots.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I completed my new gay hang out last night. Lots of problems with a custom table cloth causing the restaurant not to work, but who needs table cloths in a club like this anyway. I added a small stage, but I play no drag artists, but imagine they will only perform weekends. Other days there are open mic sessions and a karaoke machine can be placed there, too.

I found just about enough decor, but I think these details are due to change over time. Now I should make sure the club gets a few more members ;)

More pics on my blog https://simmerville.blogspot.com .

20210622e.jpg
    @Simmerville Wow that’s a cool lot. I love how you’ve decorated it. 😎😊.

I’ll definitely check out your blog.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I do not have a Pride location in my game. Since all my sims appear to be bi and have no preference on who they hook up with unless I'm forbidding them to because I have another person in mind for them, they will just flirt and chat up any sim. So all of my lots and venues are open and welcoming to everyone.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    Thanks @ncisGibbs02

I see a lot of you guys don't need a hang out for the gay group, and that's fine. Neither do I nor my sims, but I still think it's fine having one specific spot for the youngest in particular. It might also be a place that attracts creative minds and thanks to the rainbow flag the lot is more visual from other lots, too, adding something to Spice Market. Where a young sim hangs out might help setting that person's personality.

My bookworm sims don't need to hang out at the library because in my game sims can read books wherever t hey are - but I still like them to frequent the spots where other bookworms tend to be. Garden loving sims don't need to gather in the park, because in my game garden sims can garden at home and enjoy plants at most community lots without having a defined hang-out spot. Still they gather i parks occasionally because I like the green thumbs to find each other, like hey would have done out of interest in real life. Elders don't need the Café Lavandula as a hang-out for their Grey Sims club, because they can have their coffee & chat at so many community lots.

It is NOT because my sims can not hang out anywhere that I turned Waterside Warble into their favorite spot in town ;) I don't really see the relevance.

And PS: I don't need to bring in the entire gay challenge of all times to my game, to give them a hang out. I keep it simple. Warble is a place to meet sims of the same kind. Period. Because I never focused on this group before - hence their club still has only 2 members, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited June 2021
    Thanks @ncisGibbs02

I see a lot of you guys don't need a hang out for the gay group, and that's fine. Neither do I nor my sims, but I still think it's fine having one specific spot for the youngest in particular. It might also be a place that attracts creative minds and thanks to the rainbow flag the lot is more visual from other lots, too, adding something to Spice Market. Where a young sim hangs out might help setting that person's personality.

My bookworm sims don't need to hang out at the library because in my game sims can read books wherever t hey are - but I still like them to frequent the spots where other bookworms tend to be. Garden loving sims don't need to gather in the park, because in my game garden sims can garden at home and enjoy plants at most community lots without having a defined hang-out spot. Still they gather i parks occasionally because I like the green thumbs to find each other, like hey would have done out of interest in real life. Elders don't need the Café Lavandula as a hang-out for their Grey Sims club, because they can have their coffee & chat at so many community lots.

It is NOT because my sims can not hang out anywhere that I turned Waterside Warble into their favorite spot in town ;) I don't really see the relevance.

And PS: I don't need to bring in the entire gay challenge of all times to my game, to give them a hang out. I keep it simple. Warble is a place to meet sims of the same kind. Period. Because I never focused on this group before - hence their club still has only 2 members, LOL.

@Simmerville I get what you mean.
    I use the club system to organise like minded Sims to use a venue to meet others with the same interest. Most clubs use a set venue.

Not all Sims are members of clubs and go where they want.

I have a fitness club that gathers at a particular gym. Purple Fitbox, everything is purple.
    I have an LGBT group that meets at the new park.
    I have a library group called Talking Books that meet at StrangerVille library.

I’m going to transfer members of the Paragons to Good Timers as there’s only 2 left in Paragons and to me the clubs are similar. I want to change aspects of the Good Timers but with existing clubs your Sim has to be the leader to change activities etc. 🙄

There’s a foodie group but I tend not to use that so I might disband that one.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @Simmerville I agree that just because the sim world doesn't technically need a pride location, doesn't mean there can't or shouldn't be one. But I still think the comparison with bookworms or gardeners doesn't really work, because those are activities that like-minded sims can do together, be it in a club or simply in a place that allows for them. Being a member of the LGBT community is not an activity, so what exactly would those sims be doing together? And if it's just about having a public place for them to meet, how to make sure that all, or at least most sims who go there are actually LGBT?

I've been thinking about adding a pride location to my own sim world, I'm just not sure how to make it work properly for these reasons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    @Simmerville I agree that just because the sim world doesn't technically need a pride location, doesn't mean there can't or shouldn't be one. But I still think the comparison with bookworms or gardeners doesn't really work, because those are activities that like-minded sims can do together, be it in a club or simply in a place that allows for them. Being a member of the LGBT community is not an activity, so what exactly would those sims be doing together? And if it's just about having a public place for them to meet, how to make sure that all, or at least most sims who go there are actually LGBT?

I've been thinking about adding a pride location to my own sim world, I'm just not sure how to make it work properly for these reasons. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ok, so comparing gay with bookworms was a bit far fetched, but not if seen from the view of clubs, identity and hang-outs. Anyone who prefer focusing on all problems and fights and unfairness of RL will still protest. I never urged to drag RL's conflicts into my sims game. My gay community will simply build relations, hoping for a romantic match. I might use it for story telling, but mainly I'll play other non-gay guests at Water side Warble, and the Rainbow club members will be there in the background adding something to the general vibe, I hope. So, the answer to your Q is clubs - members of a club will always (?) show up at the lot that is connected with their club, even if you play non-members. It's a good way to "decorate" a community lot. Say you want a ORANGE club, you can of course add orange decore, but you can also create a club (GetTogether pack) with never played sims all wearing orange clothes, and when your played sim visit the place there will be many orange guests there. silly example, but the concept can of course be tweaked in any way you like to add the right vibe to any community lot.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    There is a rainbow mailbox that came with Seasons. It has many swatches to choose from but the rainbow is one of them.

I always forget about that!
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited June 2021
    I never thought about any kind of special gathering place for anybody in my game, because I don't go to bars or parties myself. Basically my sims just hang out at home enjoying themselves 24/7, like I wish I could afford to do. :D I guess that's why they are mostly single LOL! I just got CL and have been forcing myself to send a sim to the karaoke bar because she is gregarious and I am struggling with her social need, so, other than Batuu, I think that's about the first time one of my sims has gone to a bar.

@RavenSpit's nightclub looks amazing, I'll have to download it because it is so cool looking.

This just shows how we all play our games differently, which is the whole point of The Sims, for me. :) My sims do what they do and love whomever they love, I like that I can do whatever I want with them.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    @Simmerville If I can offer a suggestion, maybe add a light in that back area where you have the microphone set up? The sim in that spot is very darkly lit and I couldn't even tell they were there at first! I would expect a venue to have some kind of spotlight/focus on a performer like that.

Otherwise, I think your Pride hangout looks great :smiley:
  • Options
    bizuktag wrote: »
    @Simmerville If I can offer a suggestion, maybe add a light in that back area where you have the microphone set up? The sim in that spot is very darkly lit and I couldn't even tell they were there at first! I would expect a venue to have some kind of spotlight/focus on a performer like that.

Otherwise, I think your Pride hangout looks great :smiley:

Thanks @bizuktag I already adjusted that light, LOL. I had spots in there, but they were probably not lit when I took the screenshot, no idea why. I've moved them a bit front, works better now.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    I do wish the community center concept of Eco-lot was more expansive so I could use it to build a community center like I see often in Bay Area - where it's a place that many different communities share and swap time in for hosting celebrations, gatherings, and so on.

The Eco-lot ones seem more focused around market-spaces.

What I want is more around 'club houses' as a community space that I could multiple clubs in, and use something like the 'holiday decorations' system to swap the theme based on the calendar.

Then I'd have how I see this being in a world where the bigotry never came about. Something like what I see 'partially present' in my home town were we are 'working to try and become' that better place. Not always there yet, but always striving for it.

I find that 'shared space' concept better than specific spaces when I'm looking at it from the POV of celebration/meeting rather than protection.

Also I just don't like bars / nightclubs and such in general as places for hangouts. The last thing anyone ever wants is to wake up and find out they've just been the 'date' of the next Supreme Court nominee... Dating is best done 'sober' on an app. I always loved the presence of 'Mama Bears' over in Oakland in the 80s - though it forever set my mental image of lesbians as stodgy old ladies reading books while collecting armies of cats...

I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    No this is something I’ve ever even considered since sims 1. All my sims go to whatever lot they go to whoever they are. To me the game has always been a blank canvas to create what we want I don’t understand the sudden interest with inclusivity when it has always been in the game.
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    I do wish the community center concept of Eco-lot was more expansive so I could use it to build a community center like I see often in Bay Area - where it's a place that many different communities share and swap time in for hosting celebrations, gatherings, and so on.

The Eco-lot ones seem more focused around market-spaces.

What I want is more around 'club houses' as a community space that I could multiple clubs in, and use something like the 'holiday decorations' system to swap the theme based on the calendar.

Then I'd have how I see this being in a world where the bigotry never came about. Something like what I see 'partially present' in my home town were we are 'working to try and become' that better place. Not always there yet, but always striving for it.

I find that 'shared space' concept better than specific spaces when I'm looking at it from the POV of celebration/meeting rather than protection.

Also I just don't like bars / nightclubs and such in general as places for hangouts. The last thing anyone ever wants is to wake up and find out they've just been the 'date' of the next Supreme Court nominee... Dating is best done 'sober' on an app. I always loved the presence of 'Mama Bears' over in Oakland in the 80s - though it forever set my mental image of lesbians as stodgy old ladies reading books while collecting armies of cats...

I made a community space that has each type of marketplace in it, but it also has a "grill and chill" area, a dance area, a suntan area, a painting area, a bookcase... it just has everything! I love the number of people that go there to interact.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    netney52 wrote: »
    I don’t understand the sudden interest with inclusivity when it has always been in the game.

But it hasn't? Sims could date but not marry or adopt. Sims 2 "joined unions" reflected the legalized discrimination that passed as progressive at the time. Maxis meant well, but also is still improving. TS4 gets more right than most iterations of The Sims, and yet the community remains welcoming to those who want toggles to hide LGBT options, who deny trans folk exist, etc.

It's not sudden interest. It's vocal opposition to the steady improvements Maxis is striving to make. They need better community management if it's going to be believable, however.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited June 2021
    I don't really observe Pride anymore, I guess I'm just over it. Then again I don't celebrate a Lot of things in my game, (It's a different world. With Different Histories But, in my Story/Saves, honestly, everyone is Bi deep down. Even in my medieval fantasy, I practically normalized it, basically changed society.

In my Worlds, I just focus on Story. The Places that exist in my saves, exist because the Story calls for it.
    It's everywhere and no where at the same time.
    Like If my Royal Family Hosts a Ball, or a Feast, or even common day to day activities. You should expected to find Sims just living their best life. And My Artistic Bunch, Painters, Musicians, Authors, Actors, Singers, Comedians. They actually Partake in Drag. And they Put on a SHOW.

However I Have been trying to change the game cause I noticed I tend to mainly use Friendly interactions with friends/best friend, and Both romantic and friendly interactions with love interests, and for some reason I suddenly feel like that's right.

I'll use my two sims for example, Henry Halcyon and His Best Friend Lord Kaegan Charmont. Henry's the Crown Prince and Kaegan is a GrandMage (A title granted, under his Brother the Archmage two most powerful spell casters in the Kingdom), I love their Dynamic because they have this unique type of relationship, where it's a really Strong Bromance, and from an outside perspective they could easily be mistaken for Lovers. Like they are basically married, like if I erased everything else in the story, and just left it at Kaegan and Henry, They would be happy. Even after Henry Grows older and marries Cora, his future Queen, Kaegan and His Future wife Vivian, I don't want to call it a four-way marriage but it kind of is. Like all four of them are really good Friends... Well 5 technically, but the Fifth, Vincent, is an actual Fifth wheel. for the Longest time Kaegan was the Third wheel, to Henry and Cora. Until King Henry and Queen Cora urged (Low-key Commanded) Kaegan to Marry Cora's Lady, Vivian. Anyway I'm rambling, But I wanted to make this sort of thing Natural, I wanted to take Intimacy and Romance to a new level, make part of their culture. Where it's more actually more acceptable to be romantic with close friends without sexuality being in question. I love their relationship so much I kind of made it a "Generational thing." Henry and Kaegan's Daughters, Giselle and Julia grow up together, with their same relationship. They are inspired By Charlotte and Tiana from Princess and the Frog, Lady Gaga and Beyoncé. They are that Kind of Duo in a Nutshell. Sisters. and then Giselle and Julia have Sons, Henry and Kaegan's grandsons, Tyrion and Mason (Hi B) ) who share the same relationship, and are the spitting image of their two Grandfathers. Except Tyrion Is a werewolf, so his personality is slightly altered but literally a copy of His grandfather. and Mason is Bi, and Tyrion is actually Straight where as Both their mothers and Grandfathers were truly straight, Henry BiCurious, Kaegan's twin Brother however, Archmage Lord Daerick Notoriously Gay. Devilishly handsome the most renowned Pillow biter in the 5 regions of the Kingdom. Left most women in Tears, when he used them to get to their brothers. His Ultimate lover was Lord Vincent, a Knight. But before Vincent, Daerick, got with The King (Henry's Father) after His wife, the Queen Tragically passed away. Sugar Daddy Situation, sort of How he became Archmage even though it was his birthright but he proved he deserved it.
    he had the hearts of the Knights in the Royal Guard in his hands. I'm rambling again.

Cause like in real life, Your Best friend(s), and family, should know who you are, romantically, not just friendly. If your Best friend doesn't know you romantically, then they only know 50% of who you are.

I only say it because recently, I experienced, opening up to someone else. To be able to hangout with your best friend and Literally talk about and "share fantasies" with each other. Or even sometimes jokingly flirt and compliment each other. That's another thing I want to normalize tho too is being able to compliment someone without their sexuality being in question, "Is he flirting with me or is he just being a Super Nice dude." I don't know, I personally feel like that's a good, healthy thing going on, and strengthens their relationship.

Anyway, Pride isn't a thing, it's more or less, my characters being who they are, they grow and change, They've Loved and They've Lost just as I intended. It's a Fantasy after all, They have bigger problems they need to deal with, Tyrannical Kings & Queens from time to time, malpractice, corrupt prison systems, Bullying, Theft, Murder, Betrayal, Famine, Vampire/Cannibals, Plague, Regicide, Patricide, Fratricide... Literal Daemons Kaegan's Twin Spellcaster Brother, Daerick Mistakenly unleashes from the Realm of Darkness. Originally he summons them to deal with his own sexual frustrations on a weekly basis... But they always break free from his power and start ravaging the Kingdom, again I'm not one to judge. Sips Wine, C'est La Vie. Otherwise Only other things My sims deal with Is body Image.

Huh... Maybe it's my castles. that's where most things go down.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    No. I want to think that Sims are more accepting than humans and they don't need PRIDE.
    I have few gay bars on some of my saves that I play with LGTBQ characters, but nothing else. In my Sims world everyone is equal and that's how I want it to be. :)
  • Options
    tasmabeltasmabel Posts: 207 Member
    My sims are all, at the very least, bi/pan. Straights are banished as I don't prefer those kind of values in my game :D