Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I know y'all want Generations, but Parenthood is basically TS4's version of Generations

Parenthood doesn't contain everything that Generations had and Generations doesn't have things that are in Parenthood. And that is a great thing.
Genvs-Parent.png

I actually like that TS4 is different from TS3. TS4 is like TS2 on steroids. Yes I LOVE the open world of TS3, but I really love the fact that you can travel to and experience all of the worlds you purchase in TS4. Do I like all of the loading screens - nope. But I do like that the games are different. I actually opened TS3 today to see if it still lagged now that I have a new video card and became reacquainted with some of the game play objects in the game. So, when I become nostalgic about some game play that is not in TS4 I just fire up TS3 or TS2 and have fun with those games.

I personally don't want the Sims team to recreate every single pack that was in TS3. I want them to work on and create packs that we haven't experienced before, with game play that is novel, deep, engaging, and fun.

Oh and I think the graphics in TS4 are better than TS2 and TS3. I also enjoy the world objects that we can't interact with, makes the worlds look pretty, interesting, and different.
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱

Comments

• Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    I agree. I don't want all music to sound alike, all art to look the same or all packs to be clones from other sim games.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I don't know if I want Generations. I honestly didn't like it much in TS3, but the Sims 4 team/devs have specifically said that Parenthood is not the TS4 version of TS3 Generations and that a Generations pack could still come.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    The problem is that Parenthood, despite being similar to Generations, only covers a small portion of what Generations offered. It's not that Sims 4 needs to copy Sims 3 to the letter (though it would be an improvement for most packs.) It needs to give us what we want and expand on it. A Generations EP would give us what the Parenthood GP lacked, and we desperately need those things in the game.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I'm not going to go trawl back through his twitter feed to find it, but SimGuruNinja has said that Parenthood is not Generations for Sims 4, and should not be taken as a sign that they're never going to do it.

That doesn't mean that they will do a Generations for Sims 4 either, but Parenthood wasn't intended as a replacement for it.

I mean, other than some more activities for kids/teens which could be satisfied by a School Daze pack (game or expansion), I don't actually care if we get a Generations pack, other than letting realism players move on to demanding something I might actually be interested in - like cars or bands. But I'm not writing off Generations because of Parenthood.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Generations was about Generations.
    Parenthood is about parenting.

Generations could still focus on all the life stages and add more game play for each other than Parent/Child relationships.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I enjoy Parenthood, and feel it fills that niche well.

I might want to see other aspects of family life, particularly aging, receive a pack treatment - Elders have never really had a spotlight, and I think a creative, innovative team could really make them shine.

But I don't think the basic Toddler-through-Teen path is lacking, here - and I currently am raising juveniles of all age states across a couple saves, and have been, off and on, for four generations now on my Legacy save.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Take that back.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like Parenthood in its own right but I don't think that means the generations concept has been completely covered. Parenthood was developmental but only focused on childhood/teen development and parenting. It was not about all the stages of life like Generations.

Honestly, I remember liking Generations a lot and I didn't know that there was any controversy on here but it has been so long that I don't really remember all about it. At this point, I do agree that everything does not need to be a rehash of TS3. I do think that we as players need to make individual decisions about what we want. I actually prefer having an accelerated pace for content and having an idea of what is coming up.

I think rehashing too often is a problem. At this point, if I jump to a new version, I'd actually want it to be about historic gameplay or to be able to focus on that. I'd take a re-do of Sims Medieval. I'm also fine with the continued development of TS4 especially if that means getting new types of packs that haven't exactly existed before.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    I'm just going to leave this here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcz_Bub_oZ4
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    BreeNillaBreeNilla Posts: 160 Member
    Parenthood is not Generations. SimGuruNinja has confirmed this.

Parenthood focuses on *Parents*
    Generations expanded *every life stage*

Generations in TS4 would not be an exact copy of what we got in TS3. But the main thing people want is for each life stage to feel unique. More things exclusive to the different life stages and ways to celebrate life and milestones. TS4 can do this in its own way.
    8a597ff0f1eef1830795b3ae467ad12c6bb980ae.jpg
    I made a Sims 4 Save File set 15 years into the future using the premade sims by giving them family trees, storylines and lore, fixed and added relationships, and more!
    Check it out here! -> kookablarn.tumblr.com
  • Options
    AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Parenthood barely has any activities for the kids, I need:
    Prom
    Sleepovers
    Teen parties
    Boarding school
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    When I say I want Generations, I don’t literally mean an exact replica of every feature in it. It’s the concept of adding more depth to the life stages, making each one more unique. You can’t say it’s been done with Parenthood, that’s about parenting. Without naming the specific features we want, the best description for it is “Generations” but nobody wants an actual copy & paste.
  • Options
    Clancy57677Clancy57677 Posts: 10 New Member
    I personally think that both things are good in their own way, I like trying to get all the charicter value traits for 2 sims (a good kid and a bad kid) and it gives me a better goal when raising kids. Some things that I wish parenthood would have
    Boarding school
    Sleepovers
    More different activities for teens that dosen't make them feel like mini adults that can't do as many things
    Homeschooling
    Kids being able to drop out or get expelled school for the story line of a poor family.
    A Suburban world

If Parenthood had these things than I would buy it as an expantion pack. I personally think that parenthood has so much potential, it is not generations but it could have more content to be better than the beloved Generations.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    May I ask a related question here? Is it really "Generations" style pack that people here want, or it more child/baby/toddler/teen play? Would you be disappointed if a new Generations pack focused mostly on Adults and Elders?
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    There are a few life events that I would like to see like, proms, baby showers, bachelor/ette parties, but other than those, parenthood personally satisfied my needs. I can see though that there is plenty more they could do with a generations pack, probably alot of stuff that I haven't even thought of, so once I saw what was included, I would probably be quite excited.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Parenthood would have been great if it didn't focus entirely on the parents and adults. I mean, we still don't have ways for kids to play together. All I want is for my kids to play tag or games together without objects being involved. Kids don't act like kids. Teens don't act like teens. Toddlers are good, but they could use some social interactions that are more toddler-ish.

Toddlers should be playing together. They should get into mini-fights, bite each other, throw things, try and steal toys, and as they learn more, lose some of their aggression and learn to play...heck, in real life, that's a whole skill they need to learn.

Kids need more games to play together without toys. They should be able to ride bikes around the neighborhood, play tag, Mary Mack, slappy hands, punching, tickling, tricks, pretend magic, hide and seek. They should want to go outside and hang out with their neighborhood friends. Heck, the only sims we should see walking around neighborhoods should be the local kids playing with each other.

Teens need to act like teens and not adults. I don't know how to fix this problem because they look old as heck so it's hard to pin specific content for them when they are actually adults and not teens. So my fix is to add younger teens or pre-teens to the game and have them have age specific gameplay like going on first dates, going to school dances or maybe have dances in parks that we can actually attend, hanging out at malls and parks or diners, studying or slacking, some rebel interactions.

All I know is I'm currently playing a game where every age besides toddlers feels the same. Even the kids just stand around talking all day. This is definitely not the game I want and I know they could add so much with a pack that adds more interactions for other ages and I'll call that pack Generations.
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    I wouldn't want an exact replica of Generations but of course Id like for them to borrow some features from Generations and add their unique spin.

Parenthood focuses on parenting. Generations focused more on activities for every age as well as cute family gameplay. Maybe they cross wires a few times but ultimately focus on different things.

Example. I understand some people like teens as they are but I would love if they stood out more from adults. The same with Elders.

I want unique gameplay for each life stage. That way each stage brings different opportunities I can look forward to and use in storytelling.
  • Options
    SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2021
    Parenthood focused on being a parent and the family dynamic. Generations gave each life stage new and unique activities. TS4 needs Generations.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Personally, I like how the Sims has advanced in time. Some interactions that have been in the game, have returned, but generally with a new and better twist to them. I really love how the reading to a Child/Toddler has evolved from Sims2 where it came into being, initially. These are the type of things I want in all iterations of the Sims. But, I do love new stuff, too. Just give the old stuff a proper dusting off and find that new way to present it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Kironide wrote: »
    May I ask a related question here? Is it really "Generations" style pack that people here want, or it more child/baby/toddler/teen play? Would you be disappointed if a new Generations pack focused mostly on Adults and Elders?

I can't speak for everyone but for me personally yes, this is what I want. We don't need anymore packs that focus on the YA/Adult stages but it would be nice to have a pack that fleshes out the other life stages a bit more. Not just for baby/child/teen but also for elders as well. To answer the last question if they made a generations pack that focused mainly on YA/adults and maybe elders(cause let's face it they probably wouldn't focus on them too much in a pack like this), yes I would be disappointed.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    In Generations I hope for:

Babies: Strollers (they would need to be freed in a patch).
    Toddlers: Strollers, spring riders.
    Children: Tree houses, dress-up boxes, hopscotch.
    Teens: Prom and graduation.
    YA/Adults: Bachelor/ette parties.
    Elders: Canes.

Basically I just want a pack full of new interactions and gameplay objects.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    Kironide wrote: »

I can't speak for everyone but for me personally yes, this is what I want. We don't need anymore packs that focus on the YA/Adult stages but it would be nice to have a pack that fleshes out the other life stages a bit more. Not just for baby/child/teen but also for elders as well. To answer the last question if they made a generations pack that focused mainly on YA/adults and maybe elders(cause let's face it they probably wouldn't focus on them too much in a pack like this), yes I would be disappointed.

Thankyou for answering my question. I too want to see a generations pack with all the life stage filled out and I also want to make it clear that I'm certainly not criticising anyone who wants more family/child play in the game.

I asked the question, because I thinks its important that people are very clear on what they really want or it might lead to disappointment. (Recent example being farming and the expectation of horses).

I agree that the young adult life stage is the most represented group in terms of CAS assets and gameplay, but I draw a distinction between them and adults. In my view, adults in the game are as severely unrepresented as elders. There is not a single pack dedicated to them or gameplay that highlights the possible difference between adults and young adults. In real life you wouldn't expect an adult (thirty plus) to behave and dress in the same way, or want the same things out of life or have the same interest and hobbies as a young adult and I for one care about that, though I expect it's not a popular opinion.

• Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Hey Y'all I get it. I LOVED generations in TS3 and when I got Parenthood I was like what in the what what, where is my generations. I miss this I miss that - especially prom. And I play a lot of elders so I miss their interactions too.

BUT

I still would rather the sims team focus on creating stuff they haven't done before than to spend time on Generations. Would I hate it if they released, prolly not. Will I be disappointed if they just focused on redoing what they've done before? H to the yes.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    I would rather they repeated what made The Sims great (family ties, interactions and objects that made each age group feel unique and alive) than to simply make something new for the sake of being new. New to the Sims is not always great (Into the Future).
  • Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    @Simtanium I liked Into the Future. Great assets in that game. Enjoyed traveling to the future and meeting their descendants. Changing the present day and going back to the future and seeing the impact.

I embrace change and want the sims team to push themselves to be creative and do something that hasn't been done in the Sims before.