Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I understand a few of the team decisions for cottage living.

I understand why the team choose these decession.
No horses.(We have lot animals already and horses can come in a flesh out game pack.)
No pigs ( I understand this decision because we can not get meat from animals.All the live stalk animals have something we can get. Chicken has eggs, Cows have milk, and llama has wool. There is nothing you can use pigs for.

Comments

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Pigs dig up truffles in Stardew Valley. But I understand and I agree. Maybe they will make a Ranch themed pack in the future.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I understand why the team choose these decession.
    No horses.(We have lot animals already and horses can come in a flesh out game pack.)
    No pigs ( I understand this decision because we can not get meat from animals.All the live stalk animals have something we can get. Chicken has eggs, Cows have milk, and llama has wool. There is nothing you can use pigs for.

Pigs can be trained to find truffles. The llama is cute but I don't see how it is useful apart for people who have the knitting pack. Maybe we can make thread for embroidery from it's wool. I am sure horses will come eventually and maybe even pigs.
  • Options
    QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2021
    I think the llama was in large part added because it's the Sims mascot. And I'm sure people will at least be able to sell the wool, even if they don't have the knitting pack. The fact that you can use the wool for knitting if you have that pack is a nice bonus, though.

Edited to add: I just saw the speculation about using the wool to make thread. That makes total sense, now that I think of it. I hope it's true, so people without the knitting pack can use the wool they gather from the llamas.
  • Options
    KamioKamio Posts: 2,213 Member
    I can see a lot behind the way that they went with this one. I feel as though this is the cute quirky twist I loved the sims for in TS2. I love the vibe and simplicity. It’s a magical pack.
    Simming since 2001!! Origin ID: KamioMax[/center]
  • Options
    SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2021
    I agree with you. When I think of farms I think of pigs, but like you say, they are only really associated with their meat. And I personally never expected horses to be in a farming pack, I expect them to have their own GP.
  • Options
    tastongtastong Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm more than happy to be critical of the Sims 4, but they truly went for the jugular with this one. Do I wish it had MORE because it's and expansion pack? Of course. Will I lick the breadcrumbs off EA's boot like a starved fiend? Also yes.
  • Options
    bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    edited June 2021
    I hope they add an additional pack for horses, goats, sheep, and pigs. Pigs can be just for show after all they are part of God's little creatures.
    We can have the cutest little baby piglets contest to win a blue ribbon or something 😆 also still hoping to get orange trees in this game!
    Maybe add a farmer tractor for an corn and wheat field too. Corn to make cornbread, corn fritters, corn soup and the wheat for flour etc...
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Pigs I’m not terribly upset by not having. I really only needed cows and chickens to be happy. Llamas were a lovely surprise. I don’t necessarily need horses ever as I never used them in 3, but they really do deserve more love than being smushed in this pack as do faeries.

I always wish expansions had more but this is how it is now with their budgets and they look to have done fabulously by sims 4 standards for this pack.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    When it comes to getting wool, sheep (which are pretty much universal) make a lot more sense than a llama (which lives in only a limited area). Goats provide milk, thus cheese. Horses have so many uses in a farm setting their omission is incomprehensible.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    When it comes to getting wool, sheep (which are pretty much universal) make a lot more sense than a llama (which lives in only a limited area). Goats provide milk, thus cheese. Horses have so many uses in a farm setting their omission is incomprehensible.

The reasons there not doing horses.Because they have a lot of animals.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I can understand most design choices they made so far.

- Llama instead of sheep : sheep would have made more sense in this surrounding. Llamas on the other hand have been referenced to so much in the franchise, that I am OK with Llama instead of sheep.
    - no horses : horses would have taken more time than the other animals. They need to be able to move around in the world, not be tied to a shed like cows and Llama. While they would have fitted in nicely, I'd rather wait and have them done properly.
    - pigs would have been nice but I am totally OK with the choice of animals that is being offered. Not being able to get meat from them but at the same time buying meat from a market stall feels a bit hypocrit. But that is just realism I guess. So many people buy meat at the supermarket without considering the actual animal it comes from.
    - having a market stall and not a shop: this one feels a bit odd, but it's not a big deal. The UK feels like a country where an indoors shop would have made a lot more sense due to the weather. Sure, it would have been a rabbithole building, but it would suited the world better

There is however one design choice I don't like at all
    - no fairies or any other occults like improved plantsims : such a wasted opportunity. Especially fairies would have fitted in nicely. This world looks as if it were magical so it would have been nice if it actually was magical.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    I have to tell myself they do as much as they can. I'm glad we don't have horses if they'd be limited to just standing there. The same for fairies. If we get them I want them done right. They need to be special on their own, not just crammed in as an afterthought.

@Atreya33 it does look like a magical world...we'll just have to add our own magic. :)

I think this world would go well with fairies. I hope we get them.
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    Pigs dig up truffles in Stardew Valley. But I understand and I agree. Maybe they will make a Ranch themed pack in the future.

They were also in Harvest Moon: Magical Melody and Sunshine Islands as a pet that could do that.

I feel like wool animals were added at least in part because they’re a staple of the farming simulation genre. Llamas are a sims series mascot, and there have been llamas in Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons games. Llamas also have way more personality that sheep, which have had basically every possible brain cell bred out over thousands of years.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Isharell wrote: »
    I have to tell myself they do as much as they can. I'm glad we don't have horses if they'd be limited to just standing there. The same for fairies. If we get them I want them done right. They need to be special on their own, not just crammed in as an afterthought.

@Atreya33 it does look like a magical world...we'll just have to add our own magic. :)

I think this world would go well with fairies. I hope we get them.

I will definitely add some magic. I will have spellcasters and possibly even a mermaid live there. Perhaps I will edit the magical shops I created for Glimmerbrook and place them in/near the town center.
  • Options
    mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    I'm actually glad horses aren't in this game as it's just another feature I will never play. Put it in a game pack or kit so I can ignore it please.

I thought I would prefer sheep, but I love the Llama. It fits in a hypothetical sim world where Llamas were native to Europe or something. It's great for people who want to play in Latin America too. Just add a bunch of Llamas.
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Llamas have been iconic in the sims since the beginning. Makes perfect sense to have them in the game finally. Live so to speak.
    I seriously want horses back but also am glad not crowded into this pack. They need their own game pack. And I would also like to see fairies added in the same way.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Llamas are not only bred for wool they are used for carrying loads in their native countries. It would be nice to see a llama cart carrying people or goods around the countryside. I didn't know there was so much difference between them and alpacas though. I thought alpacas were a small type of llama!

Found out I was wrong here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxEOdbe5JVQ
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    @Simburian Meet baby Jeneca (Alpaca)

5R5yeyC.jpg
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    I love the rabbits, but pigs could be something cute that run around and befriend you just like the rabbits.

I'm so happy they picked the llama and not a sheep. Way more interesting.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    edited June 2021
    I love the rabbits, but pigs could be something cute that run around and befriend you just like the rabbits.

I'm so happy they picked the llama and not a sheep. Way more interesting.

I would love if cats could befriend the cow and the llama and sleep on their back.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

They gave us chickens and a single cow and llama tied to a barn glorified bassinets not even close to the effort to create cats dogs and horses none being locked to a object all given to us in one pack in Sims 3 not to mention all the other animals such as lizards, turtles, snakes, birds and wild deer and raccoons.

So yeah I don't excuse them for not adding horses though I do expect the minimal effort they put in packs seeing as people defend it and have become use to it. We have now come to the point in Sims where people have to say "I'm glad horses were not added to the pack because everything else would suffer" so sad.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

They gave us chickens and a single cow and llama tied to a barn glorified bassinets not even close to the effort to create cats dogs and horses none being locked to a object all given to us in one pack in Sims 3 not to mention all the other animals such as lizards, turtles, snakes, birds and wild deer and raccoons.

So yeah I don't excuse them for not adding horses though I do expect the minimal effort they put in packs seeing as people defend it and have become use to it. We have now come to the point in Sims where people have to say "I'm glad horses were not added to the pack because everything else would suffer" so sad.

They gave us bunnies, chickens that you can breed and have up to eight in a coop.Llama and cows that are tied to shed, but you can put as many sheds as you want on the lot.

I'm not excusing anything.You can't compare this to pets from sims 3.Cats, Dogs , and horses were part of your household.The farm animals were tired to objects.

Horses in this pack would been let down.I want horses but here they wouldn't be reach for their full potential.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member

They gave us bunnies, chickens that you can breed and have up to eight in a coop.Llama and cows that are tied to shed, but you can put as many sheds as you want on the lot.

I'm not excusing anything.You can't compare this to pets from sims 3.Cats, Dogs , and horses were part of your household.The farm animals were tired to objects.

Horses in this pack would been let down.I want horses but here they wouldn't be reach for their full potential.
    So we agree we cant expect decent horses unless we shell out $20-$40 to get them in their own pack which is sad and what the Sims has become. Its not like this pack is just full of content besides the animals that are tied to objects, group cooking and the very small world not much is new here besides Mrs Crumplebottom purse smacking animation (which I do love) so much of the pack is reused systems we already have I have not forgot Sims 2/3 that's packs added new content or integrated by adding more to old content they did not just keep reusing old content slightly altering it and reselling it as new such as festivals from City Living or gifts from wild animals just like dust bunnies from Bust the Dust.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm just amazed how Cottage Living is so going to fit with my Civilization & Medieval Game Saves. Way too cool. B)
    Just wish I had my Fairies & Wolfies in Sims 4. Oh well. :'(
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited June 2021

So we agree we cant expect decent horses unless we shell out $20-$40 to get them in their own pack which is sad and what the Sims has become. Its not like this pack is just full of content besides the animals that are tied to objects, group cooking and the very small world not much is new here besides Mrs Crumplebottom purse smacking animation (which I do love) so much of the pack is reused systems we already have I have not forgot Sims 2/3 that's packs added new content or integrated by adding more to old content they did not just keep reusing old content slightly altering it and reselling it as new such as festivals from City Living or gifts from wild animals just like dust bunnies from Bust the Dust.

Please note that if you wanted farming content in the Sims 3, you had to pay about $13 or $14 more for all the various store sets than you will have to pay for this EP (as I pointed out in another thread), and the animals were still tied to objects then as well (and not nearly as nicely animated). Plus there is, at least based on the initial information we've received, more content than you seem to be implying there will be, including canning, which was in a store set and is now returning, cross-stitching for all ages, a country fair/ judging competition (which is not the same as the CL festivals since the judging interaction will be new and will include chickens, vegetables and pies), new recipes, foraging for new harvestables like chocoberries, growing oversized harvestables, with family gardening to tend them and maybe more.

And it really isn't fair to conflate Sims 3 Pets with this pack when it should more accurately be compared to Sims 4 Cats and Dogs (which was admittedly lacking in many ways, including in the inclusion of minor pets). If you want to be fair, compare this EP to the store sets, once it is released. If Maxis takes a lot of interactions or features away that were originally in those store sets and adds nothing, then you'll have a point. So far it doesn't look that is happening here, but since I dislike when they take things away that we used to have, I will be the first to concede disappointment if the cows and chickens are less than they used to be in the Sims 3.