Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Cottage Living Expansion Pack

Comments

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited June 2021
    As is often the case with trailers, they are often misleading. I need more details before i commit. i'm sure the closer to launch this pack gets the more details will show up on this forum by other users i can pick up on. For now i'm not paying any mind to it.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    The bonus content looks lame.

I very much agree. There is literally nothing of value to it and 34 pounds for a small bit of content to a larger game where as you can buy a whole new game with plenty more to it for the same value. so pre ordering the expac just for this? not a chance.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Ah nice, it's....the one pack I never really cared about.......Well on the bright side I can say that I've now saved $120 from not buying the last few Expansion packs!
  • Options
    derevaunderevaun Posts: 46 Member
    edited June 2021
    I like the vibe: it feels adjacent to both Windenburg and Brindleton Bay, so it will be nice to have coherency like we got with Willow Creek + Magnolia Promenade, etc. The gameplay looks unintrusive, which is a plus for me. And maybe they'll fix the gardening bug. If I had to guess, I'd speculate that the bug requires some major changes to fix.

In any case, they had me at Japanese Breakfast in Simlish!
    Post edited by derevaun on
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    My first thought was that though I don't play Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I know multiple people who do and this seems like they are trying to answer it. I was also picking up Hobbit vibes from it.

For the theme, I've been waiting for a country world and it fits my playstyle so yes, it's really likely that I'll get it. I thought that when they announced the theme though since I wanted this type of world. I am bummed that there are no horses and it seems like they might try to repurpose the llamas later for that. It's not a repeat of TS3 though - and I thought the pack in TS3 was great. It does seem like they are going to be around for a while with this new format.

About adding the limited time stuff to the game, at least it's not really anything that you "need" to play. If this becomes the norm, it'll mean that being a "completionist" won't be tied to shopping sales if you want that stuff unless they resell it later. It'll be more about deciding if that stuff is worth it over a sale which will depend on how into a theme you are.

Do I like it? I mean, not really. I see why they're doing it. If I was planning to get it anyway and buying it one week over the other included that stuff if I'll actually use it, would it make a difference? It might. They are trying to stabilize the revenue stream from when people buy packs. They'll also probably have gamechangers promoting the bonus stuff to their fanbases. I mean, it's a marketing strategy.

I have interest in this specific theme because I've been waiting for farming and yes, I'm interested in the cottage theme/expanded country lifestyle. Will I need to be a completionist for time limited stuff if this is the new regular strategy for future packs? No. Do I wish there were horses? Yes. They probably figure that more people will buy horses separately than llamas. I think the individual consumer will need to think about how you actually want to play. That said, I don't think a flowery bike, a gnome and lights on a tree are deal breakers but it's worth evaluating the trend.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    Cottage Living may just bring me back to Sims 4 because I really like what I'm seeing. If they didn't want to do horses because of all the extra animations involved, perhaps they should have just done a pony which you can't ride rather than a Llama. Still, I really like what they have done and I've been waiting a very long time for this kind of content so after buying no packs at all for quite some time I may just have to buy this one.
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    edited June 2021
    It definitely has some things going for it - I adore foxes so it’s cool to see legit foxes that aren’t dogs or cats in disguise making an appearance. Other than that I’m not particularly hyped.

The world looks nice. England-inspired I assume, and I saw on the zoomed out view of the world some kind of stone henge-esque spiral thing. Is it possible this pack has more features to announce, such as a new occult?

Return of the Crumplebottom is mega though.
  • Options
    bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    The pack looks cute. I feel mostly positive about it. Here is what I noticed in the trailer:

There is a picnic basket. Not sure if it works.
    There is a sign with a chicken on it that shows the butcher marks on it. Not sure if that means anything.
    There are ducks in one of the ponds, but I'm guessing they're decorative.
    I saw jars of what look like jam or jelly in several shots. Not sure if it's just decoration or something we can actually make.
    The town square appears to be filled with shops, but I have a feeling it's all set dressing.

It's a world based on the UK. I'm still bitter we don't have a functional tea set. I would've even settled for a traditional kettle. lol.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited June 2021
    Llamas, hurrah! And it's like I told you, Chickens come in chicken coops. Llamas and cows come in sheds.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    @bookish_sammy a guru confirmed the picnic basket works. :)
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    SydneyErinSydneyErin Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm wondering if we're getting standalone foxes or something? They're shown in the trailer and on the webpage for the pack, but to my knowledge those are just retextured cats from Dogs and Cats EP?
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    @bookish_sammy a guru confirmed the picnic basket works. :)

Thanks for sharing! I'm happy it's something you can actually use. I do love clutter objects but I love objects your Sims can actually interact with more.
  • Options
    BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    @SydneyErin from the information provided it looks like it's an npc fox that can steal your chicken eggs
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • Options
    EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    I guess no one noticed, but the pond on that lot from the trailer isn't a "shallow poll", but a natural body of water, I think they'll add this in the update before the new pack. I noticed it wasn't a fake pond when a paused before the pond was build and it had only two water puddles with natural borders. And I think they are swimmable too. aaa
  • Options
    @Sucom I like the Llama better than a pony, tho. Its such an iconic moment in this series, to finally have a llama in-game.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    Sucom wrote: »
    If they didn't want to do horses because of all the extra animations involved, perhaps they should have just done a pony which you can't ride rather than a Llama.

no i would have literally hated that. either do properly or don't + you can get wool from llamas which you can't get from horse or pony so thats probably the real reasoning
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    I will probably get it just for the build / buy / cas items.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Pond tool, picnic basket and most importantly Mrs. Crumplebottom can actually smack Sims with her purse I will take this as a small victory.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone already psoted this here, but Harrie said she build a lot in the pack and even showed which one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8jzuXRJRI
    I want to know who else built lots, so if you know please tag me haha
  • Options
    > @Yuna said:
    > 1.40 in the vid looks kinda fairie to me... reddish/orange skin, green hair, best quality in whatevers on his table or he is representing a veggie himself and theyre just being funny here ...I mean come on

@Yuna you're streatching it a bit haha he jsut has a reddish undertone to his skin and a painted hair, I doubt they would've hidden fairies or horses from the main trailer.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited June 2021
    okay new thing to think about :I wonder if we have haystack woohoo with this pack

itd be nice to have haystack party "bush" for lotharios granary
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    I just checked out the trailer, I'm in! I think I could have fun with that pack, although of course, it won't be the kind of fun that EA has in mind...
  • Options
    LenaDietersLenaDieters Posts: 254 Member
    Well, I love the pack already. This will surely become my favourite pack.
    I am happy that the trailer was well made and not cringe worthy!!!

Personally, I love nothing more than cottages in real life, so this style is just....WOW!
    I never expected this with a farming pack and it honestly exceeded any expectations I had.
    I expected a max of two animals with less animations, so I am beyond happy. The animals look amazing and the whole place seems alive and magical because of them!!
    This can be used for sims that want to live the country off the grid lifestyle, or for a fairytale play through.
    I have not pre-ordered any pack but I pre-ordered this. This trailer seemed less fake and quite frankly showed enough gameplay for my game style to make this finally worth the price. I will have lots of fun with the world lore, animals, gardening etc. Hope they fix gardening...that is my only worry. I loved gardening in the sims up until it broke..
    I have never been so excited for any sims 4 pack.

I am also glad that horses are not included. I think they will be the next GP and I know lots of people will complain and I get it, but I prefer for them not to be like mermaids or something. I want them to add more stuff to do with them and not just being there so I think they are easily gamepack worthy.
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    Kits were supposed to be niche and yet by some "coincidence" it fits perfectly with this new expansion. Seems shady to me. :#
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    edited June 2021
    logion wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about the buy by september 2nd and you will get three additional items. It's kinda like a pre-order but not really because it's available for a month after release. It doesn't mix well with them releasing their packs with bugs where we have to wait months for them to be fixed, I still have trouble with my plants reverting to dirt piles.

Pretty sick they are directly exploiting people who are completionist about owning the whole collection, pushing them to buy sooner or else miss the chance to own it all. First kit packs and now this, they are never gonna stop pushing worse and worse monetization. People have had fears about what the monetization would be like for a sims 5, but they're already making it worse now.

Not to mention the wasted artist and design work that will only ever be usable by a limited number of players who bought within a few months.

Limited time special items have typically been a physically produced item, which is why they were somewhat justified as limited time; producing each one requires allocating the resources to do so and ordering in bulk to save costs. A digital item like this costs virtually nothing to produce and deliver units of it once it's actually finished (really only the cost of hosting and download where relevant), so they are just arbitrarily locking off something into exclusivity to make more money.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    - A little disappointed in no horses, but also kind of glad at the same time. Perhaps they can have a dedicated pack, which will help ensure they'll actually be fleshed out. I'm afraid if they had come in this pack, there wouldn't be much to them.
    - Farming aspect doesn't appeal to me, but that's just a personal preference. The farming theme has never interested me, so I'm going to reserve my opinions on the animals for now.
    - Bunnies are cute as heck though.
    - Dislike the new buy-before-this-time, get-"bonus"-content... Also the bonus content doesn't really look that great, minus maybe the bicycle, but eh. Not really worth it. Whole thing doesn't sit with me right.
    - Disappointed in the lack of lots as usual, only 12 being confirmed.
    - Loving the fact that we're seeing new content for children to do.

I am pretty interested in seeing some more in-depth details. I haven't been too interested in many of the packs they've been releasing, so my hopes haven't been high for this one. But we'll see! I'm a bit interested.