Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For everyone complaining about DHD gameplay...

alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
The following post from someone on Reddit is 100% to the point of explaining how the gameplay of gigs were intended. This person is right on the dot!

Edited to add: There is also some very enlightening responses on this same post that just add things to think about to the most enjoyment out of the pack. Interior decorator career is by far one of the best careers to hit any Sims game and I've been there since beginning. Definitely needs some bugs worked out but I am having fun with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Sims4/comments/nsymhl/please_please_try_to_understand_how_a_game_works/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Comments

• Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Thank you!! This is exactly how I’ve played it and I have mostly very successful gigs. Plus this is so much fun. There is something really satisfying about this career. I get actually nervous during the reveal and excited when it’s liked.

Once the kinks in this pack are worked out it will be a top career for me.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,454 Member
    edited June 2021
    @Holiday Not just the same four questions. Under the Interior Decorator menu you have options for "show simterest board" & "show mood board" as well as one other I think. I actually have a bit better luck with these in getting info.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Thank you!! This is exactly how I’ve played it and I have mostly very successful gigs. Plus this is so much fun. There is something really satisfying about this career. I get actually nervous during the reveal and excited when it’s liked.

Once the kinks in this pack are worked out it will be a top career for me.

Yes! There is something so satisfying about this career. I am having a blast with it and it's encouraged me to be more creative with building. I am not the best builder so hopefully my skills continue to improve because of the nudge of the gigs in this pack. 😀
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Very interesting Reddit post. Definitely helped clear a few things up for me regarding the career. I'll be sure to keep those notes in mind when I get around to playing with this pack. There's for sure a type of strategy to approaching the various gigs and clients wishes.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    LittleFox2 wrote: »
    Every iteration of each Sims series consisted of some type of point and click.

I play the game mod-free. When a pack is released, I buy, play, then decide for myself and come to my own conclusions about any given pack that is released. Gameplay along with so many other things about the Sims is subjective. One may not think DHD has gameplay while others do and I happen to be of the latter opinion.

I don’t want every client to be happy, I don’t want every client to pay me. I want things to go wrong and right at times. I don’t want easy in my game. It’s a fantasy game that should not mirror realistic life.

Thank you for including that reddit post because some don’t understand certain things in DHD. That person is right on point about this GP. :)

I think the issue of buying first than deciding is, well, if you don't like it, you're out of luck because it's yours.

I would love it, and it would bring me back to Sims 4 tbh, if there was a trial period on the dlc. Then I could make a decision rather than just watching other people play.

Now, of course there won't be trials put on DLC -- in a lot games, it's possible to go through all of the content during a trial period. In Sims 4, that's not an issue, though.

It's weird. I played a demo recently of another game that had over 10 hours of gameplay for me. It kept me engaged, so I bought it. It also made it clear to me that the dev was pretty confident about the quality of their game.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Origin has a return policy that you can read at this link: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/great-game-guarantee

Here is an excerpt from the link:
    Here's how to return a game with the Great Game Guarantee

You may return eligible EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) and participating third party titles purchased on Origin for a full refund. Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within fourteen days from your date of purchase, or within fourteen days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can't play it due to technical reasons within EA's control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.

Visit your Order History and select the Request a Refund link next to any eligible* product.
    Complete and submit the Refund Request Form.
    You'll get a response within 48 hours and your refund within 10 days.

For more information, you can check out the Great Game Guarantee Policy.
    Felicity wrote: »

I play the game mod-free. When a pack is released, I buy, play, then decide for myself and come to my own conclusions about any given pack that is released. Gameplay along with so many other things about the Sims is subjective. One may not think DHD has gameplay while others do and I happen to be of the latter opinion.

I don’t want every client to be happy, I don’t want every client to pay me. I want things to go wrong and right at times. I don’t want easy in my game. It’s a fantasy game that should not mirror realistic life.

Thank you for including that reddit post because some don’t understand certain things in DHD. That person is right on point about this GP. :)

I think the issue of buying first than deciding is, well, if you don't like it, you're out of luck because it's yours.

I would love it, and it would bring me back to Sims 4 tbh, if there was a trial period on the dlc. Then I could make a decision rather than just watching other people play.

Now, of course there won't be trials put on DLC -- in a lot games, it's possible to go through all of the content during a trial period. In Sims 4, that's not an issue, though.

It's weird. I played a demo recently of another game that had over 10 hours of gameplay for me. It kept me engaged, so I bought it. It also made it clear to me that the dev was pretty confident about the quality of their game.

I don't know how many packs you own or if anything would bring those who feel TS4 is lacking back to the game. TS4 isn't lacking for me and I've never been bored with the game and I'm always engaged. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

I buy packs because I want a ton of cross gameplay, BB and CAS. I've played various games growing up. Yet, as an adult with so many other things to do and entertainment to select from, TS4 is now the only game I've decided play. :)

The guarantee does not apply to DLC. Just to the games proper. It says that in the first sentence.

I own a lot of packs. All of them up through paranormal with the exception of MFP and JtB.
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,784 Member
    edited June 2021
    I can talk from personal experience because I purchase all my Sims content on Origin and I've returned: ROM and Spooky Stuff. It just has to be done within their guidelines.
    Origin has a return policy that you can read at this link: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/great-game-guarantee

You may return eligible EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) and participating third party titles purchased on Origin for a full refund. Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within fourteen days from your date of purchase, or within fourteen days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can't play it due to technical reasons within EA's control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.

Visit your Order History and select the Request a Refund link next to any eligible* product.

I don't know how many packs you own or if anything would bring those who feel TS4 is lacking back to the game. TS4 isn't lacking for me and I've never been bored with the game and I'm always engaged. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

I buy packs because I want a ton of cross gameplay, BB and CAS. I've played various games growing up. Yet, as an adult with so many other things to do and entertainment to select from, TS4 is now the only game I've decided play. :)

The guarantee does not apply to DLC. Just to the games proper. It says that in the first sentence.

I own a lot of packs. All of them up through paranormal with the exception of MFP and JtB.

Informative article OP; saved it as a favorite to reference when I start playing the career. I own DHD and am looking forward to playing the career one of these days. On the livestream they stated this is a progressive career with lots to discover.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    That's only one aspect of the game that does not concern "everyone".
    My beef with the game play is that it does not require anything of your sim besides performing gigs.

It's basically a fake it until you make it career because your sim does not require any skills that factor into their performance as a designer.
    The other careers require skills. This is a game pack, and the game play is just asking questions and putting in the items. There aren't any functional objects for your sim to use as a designer to improve their skills. I assumed that the design desk and mood board were interactive objects for your designer sim to use, but they are just a regular desk and wall decor.

There's nothing else designerly to do in our off hours, so I guess we'll just paint, because
    those two objects on the left don't do much. Maybe they were supposed to when this game was just a concept.
    Sadly those are the only two notable objects that say your sim is a designer. I had to turn to CC to get design trade jounals and art books.
    Where is all her designer stuff?
    06-05-21_11-18-44_AM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

What I want is a game that requires your sim to skill up in Charisma, Photography, and a Design related skill, and these skills impact how successful your sim is. I want them to go out and prospect for clients by building a website and getting invited to sims homes for research. Then they go off and design using their skills and then send off their design to the clients. If the clients approve, then they are placed on the gig list.

Most of your time spent with DHD is decorating, something that you can do without this pack.
    The social interactions are a small portion of your game activity and time. I want to see my sim develop as a designer, not just see her interviewing sims. We have to be honest here. Our sims aren't actually the designer. The simmer is, because we are creating the design. Seeing the other aspects of our sim's development as a designer helps suspend disbelief.
    06-05-21_3-02-23_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Since my sim's life as a designer is just limited to her asking questions, I am fleshing out my game play using other packs. She is using social media to promote her business. Sher records video of her gigs as well as live stream them.
    06-05-21_3-04-06_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It's really cool to have one of those pop-ups from random sims claiming how impressed they are with the job, not because of mental telepathy, but because they saw the live stream.
    06-05-21_3-07-22_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So the Media Production skill and social media are now one aspect of her career in my game.
    06-05-21_3-17-14_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

But this is just the beginning, because she is working up to save money to buy retail property, so she can start a home decor business. She will sell decor and her art work, as well as provide Interior Decorator services. This amount of game play would be game-pack worthy to me. As it is, I see DHD as great stuff pack sold at a Game Pack's price. Paranormal Stuff is a stuff pack and it has more game play than this Game Pack.

Completely agree - I might buy this eventually for a 50% discount bc the BB items are great, but I also might not. It's just a bit shallow for 20, just like Batuu was. GPs used to be so awesome but meh ..guess not anymore :/
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »
    So we're considering gameplay as repeatedly clicking through pie menus to keep asking the same questions then?

What else do you do on any Sims game though? It basically is clicking and going through menus for all features? Also the post clearly had much more to say than "click through menus"?

This career is literally based off asking Sims the same 4 questions. There is nothing "complicated" about it like the title of the post suggests. There is no gameplay added by adding a string of text to a pie menu. I don't really understand what's not to get that this pack does not include gameplay? You show up to a house, ask the family the same 4 questions and then enter build/buy and then do a farcical reveal.

It is all gameplay.
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    I’m so confused right now. :sweat_smile: Didn’t the gurus already say something along these lines in their livestream? Something similar was also in that write-up that was posted right after the trailer. But judging from all the awards and upvotes the reddit post had, it has me wondering if other Simmers don’t actually pay attention to the pre-pack content the Sims Team puts out.

Thanks for the article OP, but unfortunately my gripes against the pack goes beyond seemingly unrelated Likes and Dislikes. Though it’s prolly just me nitpicking as someone who works in the design and construction industry. :wink:
  • Options
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    I can talk from personal experience because I purchase all my Sims content on Origin and I've returned: ROM and Spooky Stuff. It just has to be done within their guidelines.

That is a great informative article OP; saved it as a favorite to reference when I start playing the career. I own DHD and am looking forward to playing the career one of these days. On the livestream they stated this is a progressive career with lots to discover.

Huh, then they changed it and that's awesome. But the guarantee quoted only mentions games, not dlc. I'm glad it was changed.
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »
    So we're considering gameplay as repeatedly clicking through pie menus to keep asking the same questions then?

What else do you do on any Sims game though? It basically is clicking and going through menus for all features? Also the post clearly had much more to say than "click through menus"?

This career is literally based off asking Sims the same 4 questions. There is nothing "complicated" about it like the title of the post suggests. There is no gameplay added by adding a string of text to a pie menu. I don't really understand what's not to get that this pack does not include gameplay? You show up to a house, ask the family the same 4 questions and then enter build/buy and then do a farcical reveal.

It is all gameplay.

Sad that you think so. New gameplay to me would be having new traits to play with, a new aspiration to work towards, a new design skill to focus on which would ultimately play a part in the difficulty of the renovation, objects that allowed Sims to help shape their career while out of working hours. I really don’t think turning up to a house, finding out some likes and dislikes really cuts it, because entering build/buy isn’t gameplay, it’s build/buy.

Paranormal came with a new, gig-based career (though only five levels) and a new skill. I honestly do not understand how Maxis classifies packs at this point.

• Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    The person who made that reddit post have a point I guess. It's pretty difficult to keep track of your clients likes and dislikes though. I guess you have to look at their sim profiles?

I also can't help but wonder that the game generates likes and dislikes when you ask them, which means that you will just end up generating likes and dislikes by asking them, but I haven't tested it.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Thank you for this!!! I'm not a career player so the part about having a career doesn't capture my interest that much. But I've been keeping up with everyones gameplay on it and it sounds like fun!!🤭🤭🤭 I saw some really fun stuff on twitter that people are doing with it!
    It's natural that it's not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine. But I think many are being unfair about it.

I was playing yesterday in general and I had a blast! Can't wait to continue where I left off.
    But if I go back and think about what I REALLY did I was... pointing and clicking... watching my sims eat at a restaurant for a few hours and clicking through socials among other things lol.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    What I want is a game that requires your sim to skill up in Charisma, Photography, and a Design related skill, and these skills impact how successful your sim is. I want them to go out and prospect for clients by building a website and getting invited to sims homes for research. Then they go off and design using their skills and then send off their design to the clients. If the clients approve, then they are placed on the gig list.
    This would have been perfect! Why on Earth didn't they do this?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    In my game my sim is both a Stylist and an Interior Designer with the Unlimited Jobs+ mod from turbodriver on Mod the Sims. So that adds a bit more requirements in charisma, writing and photography if I want to level up in both.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited June 2021
    logion wrote: »
    The person who made that reddit post have a point I guess. It's pretty difficult to keep track of your clients likes and dislikes though. I guess you have to look at their sim profiles?

I also can't help but wonder that the game generates likes and dislikes when you ask them, which means that you will just end up generating likes and dislikes by asking them, but I haven't tested it.

Think I saw you mention in the positive thread that you went in and gave Eliza Pancakes likes and dislikes, including disliking the colour orange. Yet when pressed in a gig, she choose orange as a colour? It makes me wonder what the point of likes and dislikes is at all. Should't the game have selected one she at least didnt have on her dislike list?
    Or did I get that wrong?
    You had given Bob orange as a like. So it seems that when you ask a household member they are going to give you a like of any random sim in the household maybe. Why would Eliza tell you to use Bobs favourite colour. It ought to pick another of hers.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    CelSims wrote: »

Think I saw you mention in the positive thread that you went in and gave Eliza Pancakes likes and dislikes, including disliking the colour orange. Yet when pressed in a gig, she choose orange as a colour? It makes me wonder what the point of likes and dislikes is at all. Should't the game have selected one she at least didnt have on her dislike list?
    Or did I get that wrong?
    You had given Bob orange as a like. So it seems that when you ask a household member they are going to give you a like of any random sim in the household maybe. Why would Eliza tell you to use Bobs favourite colour. It ought to pick another of hers.

Yeah I think that interaction doesn't work if you have selected a bunch of disliked colors already. I'm still trying some of these interactions out. She should have said one of her other favorite colors and not one that she hated. I probably should have designed the room so it used both colors that I knew both Bob and Eliza liked, and not try to convince Eliza to like another color.

I think colors matter, Bob loved it and he loves orange. That said, it's pretty difficult to keep track of what your clients like and dislike when the UI only lists a few likes/dislikes in the list (I think it's one per client? Eliza's color was pink and it changed to orange so I think she changed her like/dislike from the UI and not someone else's) Expecting us to keep track of what our clients like ourselves is not great but I think it's designed so you can change the likes/dislikes in the UI into something that you can work with by keep asking your clients.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member

CelSims wrote: »

Or did I get that wrong?

Yeah I think that interaction doesn't work if you have selected a bunch of disliked colors already. I'm still trying some of these interactions out. She should have said one of her other favorite colors and not one that she hated. I probably should have designed the room so it used both colors that I knew both Bob and Eliza liked, and not try to convince Eliza to like another color.

I think colors matter, Bob loved it and he loves orange. That said, it's pretty difficult to keep track of what your clients like and dislike when the UI only lists a few likes/dislikes in the list (I think it's one per client? Eliza's color was pink and it changed to orange so I think she changed her like/dislike from the UI and not someone else's) Expecting us to keep track of what our clients like ourselves is not great but I think it's designed so you can change the likes/dislikes in the UI into something that you can work with by keep asking your clients.

It's not, all three can be filled by one person if you are not careful. Besides some households have one sim, other have eight, so it can't be 1 per client nor can it be just those 3.