Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Favourite Minor Hobbies

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    I suddenly realized that everyone and their mother has a social media presense, even if they aren't doing it for followers, so for some people, that is more of an actual hobby of sorts. Especially since it fills the fun and social need. Not everyone should be into video games I feel like so that's a good way of diverifying up stuff.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    My spellcasters need certain frogs for spells, plus I have a mod that erases the "cool down" period between breeding. You click on the frog in the inventory, option comes up to breed frog with... Click and a list of frogs in your inventory will appear, just click on the frog you intend to breed the frog with.

Currently some of my sims are collecting simi capsules from Komorebi, snowglobes from the leftover boxes after festivals and the flea market, the festival posters and rare Easter eggs in the spring. I did not know until recently, some of the strangest places you can hunt for eggs. :D Woodworking, painting and gardening are things my sims do to earn money.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited April 2021
    Ebbis wrote: »
    I love to have my sims doing yoga and meditate as a hobby, as well as using the journal. Another hobby I like to give my sims is having them read books, and chessplaying is also really fun.
    I only just started getting my sims to read some different books, ones that you have to buy which are not skill books.

I wish bookcases came empty as I hate seeing the same books in them all the time and usually delete them out of annoyance.

Does anyone know if a sim can purchase a book written by a sim in a different household?

From earlier in the thread, how do you breed frogs?

To purchase books from other households you would need to set them for sale in a retail store. You can either buy/resell an unowned store (make a note of household cash, cheat cash if needed, buy store, set book/copy of book for sale, resell store, set cash back to original amount), or gift the book/copy of book to a sim that owns a retail store and set it for sale once you rotate to that sim.

To breed frogs you need at least 2 in your inv. Click on one and choose "Breed frog with..." then select partner from list. You'll get a frog matching a parent, or a hybrid combo (frogs have various patterns and colours, so a hybrid would inherit a colour from one parent and a pattern from the other). There's a cooldown of frog breeding before you can use it again.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    My sims might choose a specific sport as a hobby or use it as their go to choice to raise fitness, such as cycling, workout videos or swimming. For mental health they might have a preference between meditation, journaling or going on walks with their dog.

For more cerebral sims they might choose cards, scientific studies (microscope/observatory) or reading logic books, rather than chess (unless required for aspiration, etc.)

Pub games like darts/foosball/Don't Wake the Llama from GT, ping-pong/robotics from DU, horseshoes from OR, bubble blowers from CL, collecting fish (especially endangered ones if Evil) for the aquariums from SD/DO are other potential hobbies and wouldn't suit every sim.

Building sand sculptures is one that can be done in most places and by most ages (by adding sand terrain paint as a sandpit, or just sandy areas like OS/SV/BB/WB) as long as IL is installed.

Painting, music and writing all have genres/styles. I often stick to one category once it's unlocked to further add distinction between sims. For writers you might get a famous sim who is known for their self-help motivational books, or romance novels written by that rather promiscuous sim (all the woohoo is just research, right?). Rebellious/deviant sims might stick to graffiti and defacing other's murals, whereas an outdoorsy painter might prefer landscapes.

They might have preferences when cooking and eating out too. Maybe they cook fish a lot to use up what the husband brings home on his fishing trips. If they are athletic they might not worry about their weight and thus cook more sweet treats. Maybe the family is Japanese (or other ethnicity), so they want to learn all the Japanese recipes.

Charity/community work is another option as a hobby, especially for sims with the Good trait. PH gave the option to volunteer with family via the phone. CL allows protesting via Politics career (unlockable for all sims with mods). IL lets you participate in beach clean up and beachcombing for trash. You can make community garden (food plants) lots to help maintain (don't forget bee boxes or bug houses as other sources of sustainable food). BG allows donating to charity on the computer. GF allows donating objects to fans and throwing fundraiser events (Good Reputation + Fame). BG allows skill mentoring and helping with homework, DU adds tutoring options for students. Seasons added the ability to gift items or money to other sims, so you can do direct donations this way too.

Throwing parties can be a hobby for some too. Whether it's high brow dinner parties and black and white bashes for your Snobs, or casual cookouts and costume parties for your suburban families.
    Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    The only collecting my Sims have done was during my Legacy Challenge game. They collected to keep themselves alive, and the lights on. LOL Other than that, I like my Sims' kids Child and Teen to have private journals. This helps them cope with their emotions and adds to their Values. Sometimes, I'll have a Sim garden. In my TEST save (started after the patch took out some of the mods I find necessary to play) I had one of the Sim Teens garden. She found a Cowplant seed in the Rare Seed packet. Dern monster needs to be uprooted! LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Hm... Roller skating. Figure I do participate in the little collections. Over the seasons, sims buy festival merch, find some frogs, beach comb, and on a boring day, write a pen pal. Never stopped to think, this is a collection.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I really like the handiness skill, it's nice to gradually upgrade all the items in my sims house and then when their level is high enough they can upgrade the beds so they sleep better. I like gardening as well but it's too overpowered, my sims make hundreds every single day so I usually don't have many plants.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I really like the handiness skill, it's nice to gradually upgrade all the items in my sims house and then when their level is high enough they can upgrade the beds so they sleep better. I like gardening as well but it's too overpowered, my sims make hundreds every single day so I usually don't have many plants.

When I first got Sims 4, handiness and the whole upgrading aspect was one of my favourite things to do, it's a treat to see my house become a more comfortable living space for my sims.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited April 2021
    filipomel wrote: »
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I have a part time fisherman that likes to beach comb for collectibles to sell on the table, he also does woodwork, and has a hunting dog he takes out that digs things up too. His wife actually does most of the selling, But, next time I play them she is going to start knitting. They garden too.
    I love this idea, beach combing with a hunting dog, definitely using this in a future game of mine.

Sorry, I meant the dog digs things up while out on walks, they live in Brindleton Bay. I haven’t asked the dog to hunt on the beach, but since you brought that up I will try it! I know my sim beachcombs on his own sometimes.

@elanorbreton I’m not sure if they can sell them on the little sales tables or not, I would think they could though. But, if your sim owns a store then they can sell them there. Also, if you have a store that is owned by someone else but you want that writers books for sale you can put the books in a tiny room, upload to the library and then download to the store you want them sold at. Move the books to where you want them and delete the room, then place the books on sale. If you want your author sim to make money for the books sold, you will have to cheat that. But other households can have their books to read.

But, I know someone else mentioned there is a problem placing books for sale now, so that might nix it. You could still download the books to the family you want to have them though, and cheat the money.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    My spellcasters need certain frogs for spells, plus I have a mod that erases the "cool down" period between breeding. You click on the frog in the inventory, option comes up to breed frog with... Click and a list of frogs in your inventory will appear, just click on the frog you intend to breed the frog with.

Currently some of my sims are collecting simi capsules from Komorebi, snowglobes from the leftover boxes after festivals and the flea market, the festival posters and rare Easter eggs in the spring. I did not know until recently, some of the strangest places you can hunt for eggs. :D Woodworking, painting and gardening are things my sims do to earn money.
    @bshag4lv it’s been so long since I hunted for eggs. How do you do that now? Is it one of those things you can have a sim do during a holiday ( from the calendar ) now?
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I've not done a lot of hobbies, so I'm mainly posting to keep track on this thread - thanx OP for posting!

Some of my sims did collect those dolls you dig up, others collected snow globes and posters (City Living). Woodworking too, but that is perhaps more a job than a hobby. I just figured out how frogs work, but won't call it a hobby as the sim only have two frogs yet :).
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    edited April 2021
    I saw someone mention bubble blower, but what about the little bottle of soap to blow bubbles? Kids love it.
    Also, and I know for some it's a pain in the ... but, the ball of clay.

Wish they had the Rubiks Cube.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Ok so here's a list of the minor activities I've compiled so far.
    - Pen Pal Post Cards
    - Frog Breeding
    - Trading/Training Void Critters
    - Journal
    - Collecting (Snow Globes, Posters, Rocks, Feathers, Insects, Simi Capsules, etc.)
    - Bee Keeping
    - Simstagram
    - House Management (Chores, Object Upgrades, etc.)
    - Fashion (Vanity Tables, Shop for Clothes, Trying on Outfits, etc.)
    - Cosplay
    - Beach Combing
    - Dog Hunting
    - Aqua Zip
    - Roller/Ice Skating
    - Biking
    - Soccer
    - Basketball
    - Pumpkin Carving
    - Charity/Community Work (Donating, Mentoring, Protesting, Beach Clean Up, etc.)
    - Bug Farming
    - Cow Plant
    - Yard Sales
    - Bubbles
    - Bubble Blowing
    - Lump of Clay
  • Options
    mlnov39mlnov39 Posts: 2,294 Member
    edited April 2021
    May I add?
    sand boxes
    game table/card table
    chemistry table
    arts & craft table
    small child's vegetable or flower garden
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    More...

Knitting
    Singing
    Piano/guitar/viola (as long as you don't work as Entertainer I guess it's a hobby?)
    Baking
    Photographing (perhaps Painting, too, although it easily brings in tons of money)
    Flower garden (collecting and growing/grating wild flowers)
    Diving

Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Aqua-Zip
    Bowling
    Diving in pools
    Dumpster diving
    Festival goer
    Nudism & Streaking
    Pranks
    Sailing
    Snorkelling
    Street art/Graffiti
    Sunbathing
    Swings
    Waterslide
    Woohoo
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I just had the thought yesterday that if your sim is not an astronaut, rocket science is a hobby. Anyone can have a rocket ship in their backyard, apparently. Or on the roof of their penthouse, which seems totally safe.
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    I love reading everyone's ideas on this--so many!
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited May 2021
    I quite like collecting fish and frogs, then giving them obscure human names and displaying them around the house. I do this in both TS4 and TS3, although TS3 has more fun ways of obtaining fish through opportunities. My sim fixed the pipes in the city hall and found a lobster in them. I kept it and named it "President."

This isn't a minor hobby, but it's fun for me to have my sims write books since I like coming up with titles and descriptions for the books. Building up a library of custom books in your house is quite fun and a bit of a challenge if you want a large collection. I'm currently planning on building and owning a library in TS3 that is filled with books my sims wrote over a few generations - science, non-fiction, whacky romances, murder mysteries etc. The library will be on a boat, so of course there will be quite a few books on marine biology.
    Post edited by Louise_G0325 on
  • Options
    QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    @Louise_G0325 That's hilarious about the lobster!
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Options
    isobel13isobel13 Posts: 23 Member
    For my sims it's yoga, hiking, camping, sailing... (lots of outdoors loving sims), travelling (with the 'frequent traveller' lifestyle), and for some adults mixology and drinking in general (with the 'juice addict' quirk).