Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycling animations.

Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
There have been complaints at times about The Sims 4 recycling animations. This is common practice and not just in video games. Animation is expensive so many game, television, and movie studios will recycle animations in the interest of saving time and money.

More examples here:
QZCIlQp.jpg

g7m9YTt.jpg

H2KjgBl.png

ar1Vfoe.png

Disney is easily as large and wealthy a company as EA, and it’s obviously a practice they employ fairly frequently.

Comments

• Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    In disney it's less noticeable because it is movies you watch once/twice and some details are changed. The Sims is sandbox game that you can play for a long time, and it will be stale fast if lots of animations are reused. I noticed some animations in sims 4 are reused, like every complain is same, be it about weather or love life, and some of them don't make sense like same animation for melancholy thoughts and fake bad news.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »
    In disney it's less noticeable because it is movies you watch once/twice and some details are changed. The Sims is sandbox game that you can play for a long time, and it will be stale fast if lots of animations are reused. I noticed some animations in sims 4 are reused, like every complain is same, be it about weather or love life, and some of them don't make sense like same animation for melancholy thoughts and fake bad news.

You only watch movies you like once? I have Aristocats and Robin Hood memorized from repeat watching, and I absolutely noticed this in the days before the Internet too.

Not to mention the many animated TV shows that would reuse animation cells against different backgrounds. Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbara, various Japanese animation studios... they all do it.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    The problem isn't that animations are reused - even Sims 3 reused animations. And why make new animations for stuff like pressing buttons? It's largely in the execution, where they seem to create content just so they can reuse animations. (That, and loading one of the Eco Lifestyle previews with tons of clips that reuse animation.) Or how we have sims use a tablet for ringing up customers instead of using the cash register, checking things in JtB, etc., when new animations should be brought in.

Logion had a good post about it here. But it's actually been a recurring criticism, as seem by this post:
    Are we recycling it because there's a clear demand for it and we're trying to work efficiently, or are we recycling it because the development of Sims 4 prioritizes features that we can recycle just to save on costs?

I do think it's fine to reuse certain features and animations, and I'm glad merchant tables and certain features aren't limited to one pack. (Which was something DeservedCriticism was talking about.) But the way Sims 4's been going about it is flawed.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I don't have a problem with reusing animation in places they make sense. However, it seems in this game that they choose what 'new' activities to add by looking at existing animations and just reskinning items around them.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Wolfium wrote: »

You only watch movies you like once? I have Aristocats and Robin Hood memorized from repeat watching, and I absolutely noticed this in the days before the Internet too.

Not to mention the many animated TV shows that would reuse animation cells against different backgrounds. Warner Brothers, Hanna Barbara, various Japanese animation studios... they all do it.

Yes, twice at most. Maybe again after a long time. About those two movies, I watched them once.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    I don't mind the recycled animation, you are right it's very time consuming and very expensive to make, but I don't like when it's recycled in a way the change out of shoes animation was done. It looks horrible, I wish the animation was something different.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    Honestly I'm not all that stressed about animations. They're fun to watch the first few times but I'm more concerned with the end result. Right now I'm playing and one sim is knitting, one sim is painting, the kids both have friends over after school and are playing with the dollhouse and playing chess. I'm zoomed out so that I can keep an eye on and direct them all so I'm not really paying attention to how they're doing what they're doing.
  • Options
    AmeliaTodd wrote: »
    I don't mind the recycled animation, you are right it's very time consuming and very expensive to make, but I don't like when it's recycled in a way the change out of shoes animation was done. It looks horrible, I wish the animation was something different.

Shoes animation doesn't exist.
  • Options
    > @Wolfium said:
    > Shoes animation doesn't exist.

From the game changers video i saw that it does this little whirling at the bottom of the legs, it was enough for me to remove all the shoe signs from my game.
  • Options
    > @Wolfium said:
    > Shoes animation doesn't exist.

From the game changers video i saw that it does this little whirling at the bottom of the legs, it was enough for me to remove all the shoe signs from my game.

Yes, the whirling. There's no animation for removing/putting on shoes.
  • Options
    > @Wolfium said:
    > Yes, the whirling. There's no animation for removing/putting on shoes.

It may not what you would call an animation, but the whirling is an animation. It's why I don't like it, the fact that the actual action is not animated and only the whirling animation is added imitating the clothes change. Hope that clears it up for you.
  • Options
    > @Wolfium said:
    > Yes, the whirling. There's no animation for removing/putting on shoes.

It may not what you would call an animation, but the whirling is an animation. It's why I don't like it, the fact that the actual action is not animated and only the whirling animation is added imitating the clothes change. Hope that clears it up for you.

Yes, the whirling is an animation that imitates changing shoes, but for me it's not real shoes animation.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    The problem isn't that animations are reused - even Sims 3 reused animations. And why make new animations for stuff like pressing buttons? It's largely in the execution, where they seem to create content just so they can reuse animations. (That, and loading one of the Eco Lifestyle previews with tons of clips that reuse animation.) Or how we have sims use a tablet for ringing up customers instead of using the cash register, checking things in JtB, etc., when new animations should be brought in.

Logion had a good post about it here. But it's actually been a recurring criticism, as seem by this post:
    Are we recycling it because there's a clear demand for it and we're trying to work efficiently, or are we recycling it because the development of Sims 4 prioritizes features that we can recycle just to save on costs?

I do think it's fine to reuse certain features and animations, and I'm glad merchant tables and certain features aren't limited to one pack. (Which was something DeservedCriticism was talking about.) But the way Sims 4's been going about it is flawed.

Thank you for liking my post.

I don't mind reused animations if it makes sense and it works with the pack, but when it doesn't make sense or you get the feeling that it influenced the game design of the pack, then I don't like it.

I understand that they do it to save time, and that we often get other new animations but I don't want them to cut corners so much that it makes the pack look cheap.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    LOL. You literally picked example's of Disney's animation when the company wasn't doing very well. I'm pretty sure Disney was almost bankrupt in the 70s' when Robin Hood, Aristocats, The Jungle Book were released. So, I'll give them a pass for reusing animation.

What's EA's excuse? Their company is worth $24 BILLION? They can afford to give Maxis a little more money....
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

That’s not recycled animation.

That’s Mowgli daydreaming about being a little boy called Christopher Robin.
    The only thing Mowgli really wants is a little teddy bear who follows him around. And let’s be fair. He also wants to wear something more than just a pair of underpants.

See? It’s just that he forgets about the teddy bear at some point. But sure those things happen when you daydream.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited May 2021
    bixters wrote: »
    LOL. You literally picked example's of Disney's animation when the company wasn't doing very well. I'm pretty sure Disney was almost bankrupt in the 70s' when Robin Hood, Aristocats, The Jungle Book were released. So, I'll give them a pass for reusing animation.

What's EA's excuse? Their company is worth $24 BILLION? They can afford to give Maxis a little more money....

Right! I was about to say...go ahead and show me the recycled animation from a successful Disney. Heck, Moana had a team of animators just for hair and a another just for water. Raya and the last Dragon had 179 animators and they worked from home and put that movie together masterfully.

EA can do better. The recycled animation are crud and they should be ashamed of how much they reuse everything. The game becomes stale and boring for players that like to actually watch their sims.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    1. All the listed movies are very old and are from a time when animation meant you had to draw the single frames for the whole movie. You don't have to nowadays, technology has evolved a lot and you don't see this recycling anymore.

2. Just because another big company did it doesn't make it any better. So what if Disney recycles animation, does that make this practice better? for example just because your friend is a smoker, does that make smoking a good thing for you and your body all of a sudden? No.

3. Recycling some animations where it makes sense and doesn't get dull is okay but the Sims 4 is taking the easy road with animations all the time. They are recycling way too many animations. Anything that goes so overboard isn't acceptable to me especially if you realize how many animations just for the "chat" interaction the Sims 2 had.
    The whole point of a game like the sims is to try and make things interesting and differentiate between personalities of the individuals sims. Watching the same animation for every sim is reduntant and makes all the sims feel like the same person. That's not a good thing.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I've never understood the big deal about animations being reused. I've played the game for years and haven't noticed it in play unless people specifically point it out and it doesn't remotely affect or make my gaming experience worse. We all know how restricted they are by EA so if that's what they gotta do to get more content in I have no issue 🤷
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited May 2021
    I feel 50/50 about it. As someone who takes play sessions very slowly and enjoys watching every little mundane thing in normal speed, I definitely welcome new animations. And I think with a bigger budget they can do much better and add much more variety. Like sitting comfortably on the couch is something very simple but would add a lot. And there are so many minor animations I would love to see vs just grabbing at air and having something dissapear into their pockets.

But on the other hand it hasn't taken away my enjoyment or made it feel stale.
    .and yes, regardless of the actual reason EA is not the only one.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    The difference is that Christopher Robin walking over a log isn't a core gameplay feature.

When one of the only interactable objects in Eco Lifestyle that Maxis hypes up turns out to be a reskinned bee box, people have a right to be miffed.
    We're paying good money for the least possible effort.

Yes, they do it to save time and money, but The Sims makes billions of dollars. It's one of EA's highest-selling games, yet it gets a fraction of the budget that Madden, NHL, Battlefront, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed, or Literally Any Star Wars Game receive (except ironically Journey to Batuu)

We're allowed to be annoyed that EA is cheating the players AND the developers out of unique gameplay experiences.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    edited May 2021
    Why does Disney reusing animations in the past matter? Previous Sims titles had so much variety in animations and there's no refuting that. And since TS4 is apparently successful, they could do the same for this game. But they don't. So I will rightfully find reused animations annoying. As someone who plays while taking a lot of screenshots, there's less animations and facial expressions I can use because 5+ of the interactions have the same animation. Granted, I'm not as annoyed by it as some other issues in the game like your Sims constantly wanting to sit in chairs when I want them standing. But it's still annoying nonetheless.

Heck, I find it absurd your Sim can't sit while playing the guitar.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Even live action shows will use the same seens in different episodes even when the characters are supposed to be in a complete different place. For example: in the Hercules & Xena TV Shows they kept using the same hill over & over again, even when they travelled to another country. I always thought that was so rediculous.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Well yes, making new animations takes time and money.....but that should be expected if you're making something that you expect people to pay $40 for.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited May 2021
    nothing wrong with recycling animations sometimes where it makes sense

heck i kinda wish they recycled some animations to give me certain gameplay things

but also the animations shouldn't be made vague in order to recycle them.

and surely they should stop making every activity into " use machine " cause i mean sure it cuts lot of animations but its freaking boring to stare at your sim using this or that machine all day long
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I'm not a fan of recycled animations in certain circumstances.

Like when they enabled toddlers to play in the sea - I guess it fits in a way, but it would have been much better with something totally new. Same with shower woohoo... they couldn't even be bothered to disguise properly the fact that the sims vanish.

And there is far too much skipping of animations altogether, like sims being taken into cas before they open their drawer or wardrobe door. Little details like that would make it so much more fun to watch.