Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is anyone else often annoyed by the game's animations?

MElleSimsMElleSims Posts: 77 Member
This came up in another thread I made but I really wanted more opinions in a relevant thread. It feels like they tried too hard to make them "funny" but like...in a really forced way. When I flirt with another sim I want it to look like flirting, not like a sunday morning cartoon. When I have a friendly conversation with another Sim, it would make me extremely happy if my sim did not look like they were about to dislocate their shoulder from all the unnecessary arm moving. Who thought this was a good idea? Is there a mod for this?
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Hahaha i totally understand. They tried to make them so emotional and expressive. Well they certainly did but it's definitely more cartoony expression. It's not my taste and it's hard to have serious sims or killer vampires or atleast believable ones because at the end of the night they all look silly😆😆😆 flirting is the WORST maybe. I avoid it at all costs. Don't know any mods.

Some are really funny though like when they're telling a dramatic story😂 looks like they're about to have a seizure. I always hoped that any future animations they add could be a bit more serious and neutral. No luck yet😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    I mostly get angry when my sim is supposed to be sad and like they are mourning their family member that just died and like 2 seconds after that animation they are back to :smiley:

like uh would it hurt to just tone down the :smiley: I don't think sims should default to being so smiley all the time
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    There is no mod...I get annoyed with some of the overly childish animations too. One of the reasons why I prefer TS3 and TS2. It's really obnoxious to see the sims over gesticulate when having a normal conversation. And let's not talk about the woohoo fist bump.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Hahaha i totally understand. They tried to make them so emotional and expressive. Well they certainly did but it's definitely more cartoony expression. It's not my taste and it's hard to have serious sims or killer vampires or atleast believable ones because at the end of the night they all look silly😆😆😆 flirting is the WORST maybe. I avoid it at all costs. Don't know any mods.

Some are really funny though like when they're telling a dramatic story😂 looks like they're about to have a seizure. I always hoped that any future animations they add could be a bit more serious and neutral. No luck yet😆

the flirt animation....don't get me started it's so annoying. why do they wave :D or when they kiss the phone after getting the other's number...who does that. but yeah some of them can be really funny. one that i do like is the woohoo in closet from get together.
  • Options
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I mostly get angry when my sim is supposed to be sad and like they are mourning their family member that just died and like 2 seconds after that animation they are back to :smiley:

hahahah i know exactly what you mean. and then the emotion changes for 1 second to happy because the room has a cool plant or whatever, before going back to very sad. ruins the atmosphere :D
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    There is no mod...I get annoyed with some of the overly childish animations too. One of the reasons why I prefer TS3 and TS2. It's really obnoxious to see the sims over gesticulate when have a normal conversation.

The TS2 ones were subtle yet so natural and often humorous without trying too hard. sims 3 were also pretty sweet - i loved the proposal animation and how sometimes they'd accidentally drop the ring. such a step down from those two games in my opinion.
  • Options
    MElleSims wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

hahahah i know exactly what you mean. and then the emotion changes for 1 second to happy because the room has a cool plant or whatever, before going back to very sad. ruins the atmosphere :D

:lol: So yeah thats how now I'm very happy using paranoid trait cause now instead of smiling all the time my sim spams scared face which in my opinion is more appropriate because id be scared too if i was surrounded by creepy 24/7 smiling people
  • Options
    CBSSDHCBSSDH Posts: 20 Member
    I mean we did ask for sims to have more emotion right? Well they gave it to us. I just wish my sims wouldn't become so happy/playful that they become hysterical when they literally did nothing but browse the web for the last 8 hours and decide to randomly take a bubble bath or something. Seems like a daily occurrence in my legacy household to suddenly have to run to the mirror to prevent death.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm not massively fond of all the over the top animations but they don't bother me to much either.

I would rather they do things in a more toned down realistic way to be honest. Like when they cook in the Sims 4 it's like they are putting on a circus show. I just accept that it's the Sims 4 style. It's a bit immature for me sometimes but I feel like they are or were maybe trying to draw in a younger audience to the game. I'm hoping that the Sims 5 will tone it down a bit more.
  • Options
    CBSSDH wrote: »
    I mean we did ask for sims to have more emotion right? Well they gave it to us. I just wish my sims wouldn't become so happy/playful that they become hysterical when they literally did nothing but browse the web for the last 8 hours and decide to randomly take a bubble bath or something. Seems like a daily occurrence in my legacy household to suddenly have to run to the mirror to prevent death.

hahah "run to the mirror to prevent death". yeah i agree. i think they overdid it with emotion in areas they shouldn't have, but didn't give as much attention to areas theh should have.
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I'm not massively fond of all the over the top animations but they don't bother me to much either.

I would rather they do things in a more toned down realistic way to be honest. Like cooking for instance it's like they are putting on a circus show in the Sims 4. I just accept that it's the Sims 4 style. It's a bit immature for me sometimes but I feel like they are or were maybe trying to draw in a younger audience to the game. I'm hoping that the Sims 5 will tone it down a bit more.

Oh yeah the cooking thing...it's so over the top and for no reason! i'm scratching my head as to why they paid attention to that and not other animations which are a bit more lacking...i also wish they tone it down for sims 5, when/if there is one
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I'd be the anomaly in this thread and say that I absolutely adore the over-the-top cartoonish animations and it gives the Sims a huge amount of charm. I love the dazed facial expression.

Xg4BDQC.png

And seeing Sims 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off is so immensely satisfying.

SrctLqS.png
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    I'd be the anomaly in this thread and say that I absolutely adore the over-the-top cartoonish animations and it gives the Sims a huge amount of charm. I love the dazed facial expression.

Xg4BDQC.png

And seeing Sims ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off is so immensely satisfying.

SrctLqS.png

Well, all opinions are welcome! i think some of them do have their charm, but i do prefer the toned-down style of Sims 3 and the subtle liveliness of Sims 2 more.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Even Sims 3 has their over-the-top moments more than the Sims 4 such as Sims yelling in rage at broken appliances and the animation of them sneaking up to scare someone.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I'm not so bothered about how they look, just when they do them. Do anyone elses sims just walk into a room and then stop, perform an animation and then carry on with what they were doing? My sims just seem to enter the house, then stop for 5 seconds and carry on at the moment :s
  • Options
    Even Sims 3 has their over-the-top moments more than the Sims 4 such as Sims yelling in rage at broken appliances and the animation of them sneaking up to scare someone.

Yeah for sure...though i think it's incomparable to how over the top the sims 4 is. An animation choice that i absolutely do adore in the sims 4 though is the little artwork that pops up when child and toddler sims are playing. you know, those little drawings only they can see? that's really cute and such a good way to indicate a child's imagination. it's one of my favorite things about child and toddler sims
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    I agree about the extreme arm movements. It's super annoying especially when making movies. Sometimes I feel like waving my arms when talking to my RL friends, just to state the example, but I guess none of them would have any idea what I was trying, so I better not... I think body language in general is a bit disturbing, but facial expressions are quite good .
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Sims 2 is the best at animations, in my opinion. They just put a lot of detail into the whole game and overall, there are still some wacky animations, but in the right spots. Like when they're in aspiration failure, those animations are downright comical.

I do enjoy some of TS4's animations, but the problem for me is that I see too many of the same animations over and over again because the game has a serious lack of things to do and a lot of recycled animations. So seeing things over and over just kills any charm it might have had to begin with. I wish they had a couple of different animations for certain things. It puts me off when I see my serious sims fist bump when they're about to woohoo with the same partner they've had and their kids are now teens.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I'm not so bothered about how they look, just when they do them. Do anyone elses sims just walk into a room and then stop, perform an animation and then carry on with what they were doing? My sims just seem to enter the house, then stop for 5 seconds and carry on at the moment :s

Sounds like the terrible Eco Living animation. I hate it when my sims do that thinking and puts a finger up in the air, especially when they all do the exact same animation in sync... Yes, it often happens when they enter a new room.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member

I actually think the vampires are genuinely creepy looking with all the features for them. Generally I see people do discrete vampires that look like normal sims (which is the idea I guess lol), but if you add the dark black eye sockets, cracked skin, scars, insane looking brows, red or black eyes, pointed ears, teeth, the dripping makeup, etcetera - they're genuinely creepy to me lol. I know it's usually the dark form but I have vampires that are like that in their normal form and when they show up to a lot when I'm playing a normal sim I'm like yeah...I'm out lol.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited April 2021
    I mostly dislike idle animations that are repetitive or reused and feels like they are very out of context, like the "yawn" and "a-ha" that they added recently to show if the sim likes the room around them, or the laugh that sims do to show that they are happy, it makes them look like psychopaths. I use a less smiling mod to tone down sims smiling all the time too.

Reused animations bother me a lot when I feel that they don't make sense, like when the cafeteria vendor in Discover University shouts like they are standing in a market stand like...why? Imagine if someone did that in a cafeteria. Or the fact that some animations are the same but they talk about different things, you should be able to somewhat tell what they are talking about. I think for example that "discuss good book" and "compliment appearance" are the same animation, like...whuh?

Sometimes they do a good job, like the "talking about crafting" animation from eco lifestyle, and sometimes they don't... like the reused sims sniffing in the air in bust the dust, which looks weird, and they seem to do it way too often too.
  • Options

I don't really count their facial animations in the same boat as the interaction animations. I personally love how expressive they are visually on their faces. It's just all the other stuff like cooking, the overly expressive body movements while chatting ect that I'm not a big fan of.
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    "a-ha" that they added recently to show if the sim likes the room around them

Is that what that is? That has been bothering me for a while now. I hate it.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Sometimes I feel like waving my arms when talking to my RL friends

me suddenly realizing maybe that is why people in public look at me weirdly when i do my pretend extrovert mode to ask someone something cause #awkward :flushed:

maybe I'm just subconciously playing out animations like
    *cheerfully punches air*
    *leans forward hands in questioning position*
    *raises hands close to face in oh yes i understand way and nods*
    *does whatever the heck the tell story animation is to explain what i want in my subway bread*
    *sees something i don't like and hisses*

ah yes it all makes sense now
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Idle animations bother me. The others not so much... idle animations are repetitive and boring and take away a lot of my sim's time.