Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we once and for all retire the "I want my teen Sims to look 12 years old" thing?

Comments

• Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited April 2021
    If I remember right, the reason they are the way they are is if they were a different height from adults, they would need an entirely separate set of animations for every animation in the game. Not saying it's a valid excuse, but animations are the most time consuming and considering we hardly ever get brand new animated objects and interactions these days as it is, it would probably be even worse if teens needed their own. So I can live with it.

This is also why kids can't do things like ride bikes. Which is NO excuse to me, and just plain stupid.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I just want teen and YA to not be identical.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited April 2021
    I had a friend from 7th grade forward. He was around 5'6" at the end of 8th grade and when I saw him again on the campus of our high school, I was astounded. He was 6', or close to it. Just over the summer he shot up like nobody's business. Females grow until they're about sixteen. Males, however, can continue to grow until about age 21 years. My boys certainly reached their final height in their teens. I grew a whopping half an inch in high school. I'm a tall, short person at 5'3 1/2". Hey, at least I'm taller than my daughter, but only by that half inch. LOL

As for the Sims, if I am creating them at that age in CAS, I will very often give them narrower shoulders. But not always. Some guys are just built in the teens. It's a very subjective subject.

But, if EA decided to give us sliders, that would be cool …
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    My son is 12yo(dear goodness, where did the time go! 😭) and he is already taller than me who is only 5'5". My husband, his dad, is 5'11" and our son is giving him a run for his money lol. The other day when my son answered my phone my husband thought another man had answered the phone.

Basically, kids these days are getting older looking sooner. So wanting teenagers to look like their twelve is a stretch imo.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I just wish they had more teen related activities in the game and I would be satisfied. Also more teen themed clothes and furniture would be nice.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    My son is 12yo(dear goodness, where did the time go! 😭) and he is already taller than me who is only 5'5". My husband, his dad, is 5'11" and our son is giving him a run for his money lol. The other day when my son answered my phone my husband thought another man had answered the phone.

Basically, kids these days are getting older looking sooner. So wanting teenagers to look like their twelve is a stretch imo.

It's a game though. There's nothing wrong with wanting some kind of visual difference.
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Height slider (despite requiring additional animations) per life stage would be great. At least teen and up. Height could be randomized upon age up.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

It's a game though. There's nothing wrong with wanting some kind of visual difference.

Exactly....
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited April 2021
    Okay imo:

1. Boys grow a lot taller than they are at 15 years old.
    2. Even if a lot of teens reach their almost adult height before 15-16 years old there are still other visual differences.
    3. This game cannot implement other visual differences (face aging, body hair and other things that seperate teens from adults) so the game has to rely on height to create a visual difference.

So imo, no. Teens being as tall as adults is not a good thing in the Sims because there is no other way to tell them apart for sure and it makes children going from looking 8-9 years old to 17-18 really weird.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    Height slider (despite requiring additional animations) per life stage would be great. At least teen and up. Height could be randomized upon age up.
    I would love a height slider too. But either way Paralives is going to have it at least. :)
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t want my teen sims to look 12. Twelve isn’t a teen. I want my teenagers to look like teenagers. My 16 year old nephew may be taller than me, but you would not look at him and mistake him for an adult. He still gets asked for ID when buying certain movies, he can’t get away with buying alcohol.
    As @Zeldaboy180 post shows, that “teen” in his example is not a teen at first glance. I also have examples of this. I have one screen shot of an adult female sim with her teen daughter and when I asked people on this forum to identify which was which, not one person got it right. That’s pathetic.

EA were lazy and dropped the first of many balls with teens. That’s a fact.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    No, sorry! people should not stop just because you strongly disagree ;)

For me personally, i would like for there to be a defferince but i apprecite the benefits we got in exchange so i dont mind that much.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's just such a short time of your life that it seems a little redundant.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Can we retire the whole telling people how to feel thing? As someone who's run a teen youth program for 5 years, I can assure you that most teenagers look nothing like adults, my teens however, look exactly like my young adults in game.

The title feels like it's a bit passive aggressive, which may not have been your intention, but people have every right to be upset about the teens not being distinguishable from young adults.

Especially the "if you ACTUALLY paid attention". Please don't insult me to lick EA's boot, thank you.

See, that picture is just so shameful lol. How do not care enough to perfect and differentiate life stages in a life simulator? It just makes zero sense.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    The problem is that they look exactly like young adults. The transition from a 10 year old child to a 16-17 teenager is just bizarre.
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Players want many things added or improved on in this game, Everyone has their own preferences. To ask that people "once and for all" just to stop asking for something they might want because you personally don't want it, is not really cool..
    I loved the teen sims in S2, and miss being able to distinguish a teen from a YA easily. Preteens or even height differences would be a great addition to the game, I highly doubt we will see it in S4 though. Mods are wonderful things I use Luumia's height slider and preset bodys for more of a variety in my game.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Different height teens means they will fall into a separate clothing category altogether, just like children and toddlers do. So, like children and toddlers you can be guaranteed that if they were to do this they would give us a small handful of outfits in a free update like they did with toddlers and then proceed to give us a shirt, or a pair of pants with pack releases, and if TS4 is truly nearing the end of its lifecycle as people say, even if that means “several” more years that’s not much in the way of CAS options.

So then the forums will be flooded with threads titled things like Please EA/Maxis give us more outfits for teens! And before you tell me that custom content will fill the gap allow me to point out that not only does Maxis give us precious little for kids and toddlers but so do cc creators. I can only assume the smaller meshes are maybe harder to make. I don’t know, but I can see from here how this will turn out. I like having the full range of clothing and accessories that we have right now. I have no trouble dressing my teens “appropriately” for their age so to speak, and sometimes I intentionally dress them to look older too. I don’t want to be hyper limited in those choices. I agree with OP 100%.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    One thing I want to point out is that with the height presets I use, the teens can still wear the same clothes. They look just fine. The teens are only a little shorter than young adults. Maybe half a head shorter. Just that little bit helps to distinguish them.

So if we do ever get shorter teens, they might not need a whole new wardrobe.
  • Options
    telemwill wrote: »
    One thing I want to point out is that with the height presets I use, the teens can still wear the same clothes. They look just fine. The teens are only a little shorter than young adults. Maybe half a head shorter. Just that little bit helps to distinguish them.

Might not, and if they do we’ll get shafted.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

I agree with that. I wouldn't want to have nothing for my teens to wear. But if modders can do it, why can't the developers?
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited April 2021
    I personally like the teens in the sims 4, I also like that they have the same clothing as adults, in previous games if you didn't download cc, your teens didn't have much, I don't dress my teens like adults or give them tattoos, i think since buying Parenthood they are much more better and hopefully we get A Generation's pack to add more teen stuff and gameplay, the only thing I'd like to really change though is teens ordering drinks from a bar lol, my teens don't go there anyways but still, my teens only have a drink is when they are eating at a restaurant with their parents, my teens go to coffee shops instead lol , I do think that the messing around interaction for teens is also very realistic let's be real, I do understand why some people want the teens to be like the previous games, how the sims 4 does it is you choose what your teens are going to be like in your game, are they going to live with their parents and have a curfew or live by themselves and be more independent ( some teenagers do and are)
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I agree with that. I wouldn't want to have nothing for my teens to wear. But if modders can do it, why can't the developers?

As I said in my original post, not only does Maxis make precious little in the way of CAS for toddlers and kids, but modders too. No matter we’re you look the CAS options for these two very size specific age categories is super limited. I think the developers don’t because T-E are the most played life spans. That’s why they’re the same sizes and share their entire wardrobe. There’s only so much budgeted for CAS and they’re going to spend it on the life stages people play the most, and that are the longest in the game. Plus , and correct me if I’m wrong but, I think the smaller meshes are maybe more time consuming and harder to make in terms of proportionality. I don’t know. All I know is that the two most size specialized outfit categories in game almost never get any new assets and when they do it’s 1-2 items tops, and I don’t want a third like that. I like my teens exactly the way they are.
  • Options
    SaveirxSaveirx Posts: 29 Member
    The teen sims look 15 - 16 and I wouldn't want them to look 12. If supposed 15 - 16 year olds looked 12 I wouldn't really consider them teens, I'd consider them pre-teens. The Sims 4 does a pretty good job of making teens. Around the 15 - 16 mark a lot of teens are wearing they same size clothes as there parents or at least close to it. Also, if you notice when you age a teen up to a young adult they gain more face structure. When you age them back down their missing that face structure. That is pretty spot on because in your teenage years you start to develop more face structure, but it's not fully there until about the young adult mark.
    6a3kniwvkzc11.jpg
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." - Martin Buber