Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims for Men

AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I noticed The Sims 4 became very girlie. I don't remember the previous versions being so girlie. I picked up my first Sims game because it was an amazing game to build houses. I don't know if it was CC content I used then that made the game less girlie. But now I'm playing on a console so there is no way to add CC stuff. So I have to stick with what EA has to offer but most of the packs are so women orientated and that's weird in 2021it's even borderline conservatism. I haven't build one family and do not intend to build a family.

When I look at how many playstation friends have this game I was shocked how many of them own the Sims game. I never see them play it but they owned the game one time or another. I think EA is alienating men who want to play the sims with all the women centric content. And for those who don't understand where I'm coming from. Rest assured I don't want want guns in the game or a GI Joe themed pack o:)

Edit on April 19th

I leave the original post untouched so new readers understand the answers that followed better.

The part that I want to clarify is the wording 'girlie" and "for women". My native tongue is not English so I'm not always using the correct language which sometimes can sound offensive. With girlie I meant "directed to teenagers" and "for woman" should have been 'domestic tasks"
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• Options
    GoddessBylineGoddessByline Posts: 281 Member
    I see. Not enough power tools for you? I guess a vacuum doesn't count?
    I don't use CC so if you see something in a screenshot of mine, it's from the game.
    EA Account (Gallery) ID: BylineBelife
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by women oriented? Do you mean just because of all the CAS stuff being mainly for adult women?
  • Options
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by women oriented? Do you mean just because of all the CAS stuff being mainly for adult women?

The kits are a good example. Kitchen stuff, vacuum tools and 90's outfits. Where is my garage?

• Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I see. Not enough power tools for you? I guess a vacuum doesn't count?

You know that's not constructive either, right?

But it made me smile. I can take a hit :)
  • Options
    LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by "girly" or women-oriented. Aside from CAS, there doesn't seem to be a bias towards male or female sims... since both can do the same things.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited April 2021
    I agree, in my opinion there has been a shift as to whom the game is advertised towards. It seems like there is a lot of marketing made by the Sims to appeal more to teenage girls, who are their target audience, hence the popularity of lilsimsie and similar Youtubers.

I think this is made more visible when taking old Sims commercials and trailers into consideration. Sims ads used to be a lot more "raunchy" and actually seemed to represent different types of people playing the game. You can see that in these commercials that feature the female audience as well a more male audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVLyMcATcSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sQCQ33VRg

Compare that to packs like Snowy Escape which had a trailer that to me seemed very girl-oriented, from the music to the characters to the features shown or packs like Paranormal, Nifty Knitting or the Bust the Dust kit filled with "cutesy" content and items, you'll see they have changed their target audience quite a bit.

Even the collaborations they do with celebs like Sabrina the teenage witch or Vanessa Hudgens or Kpop stars, are directed more to a female audience. Not that no males enjoy Sabrina, or High school Musical or Kpop but these tend to be things associated more with a female audience.

I think at least their advertising is more female-oriented.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Idk why it's like that now either. Maybe they want to zero in on young female demographic. There are a lot of posts asking for more male or even more masculine clothing, activities, etc. Its popular now in society to blend the differences between masculine & feminine and the Sims team/EA seems to lead that way now. Either way theres still people who want manly men, masculine clothing, traditional gender roles etc and I wish the Sime put out equal amounts of male CAS stuff
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    Antwerpo wrote: »

The kits are a good example. Kitchen stuff, vacuum tools and 90's outfits. Where is my garage?

Those aren't really girl things just normal everyday stuff. But if it's any consolation almost all of us have been asking for cars and garages since 2014. The developers acknowledged that they know we want cars but...they're not working on them. Why...well who knows.

There's been a few threads for the CAS stuff though....Maxis neglects male sims a lot. The latest EP for instance had about 5 different feminine hairstyles and 2 masculine ones.The discrepancy is huge.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "girly" or women-oriented. Aside from CAS, there doesn't seem to be a bias towards male or female sims... since both can do the same things.

I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself correctly. My mother tongue is not English. But there is a lot of stuff in the game that irritates me as a man. One example that I think is very girlie. Correct me if I'm wrong is all the flirting in this game. I don't get it. I want to be this modern man that doesn't think all girls are hookups but what happens every time after I talk to whomever they start to flirt. I remember the sims being hard work to make 2 sims fall in love. Not in the Sims 4. I'm always like? "Who plays this? This is a teenage girl fantasy or something".

It's not about being male or female being able to do the same thing, it's about forcing both do to the same time. Like forcing a boy to play with a car when he prefers a doll.
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Antwerpo wrote: »

Those aren't really girl things just normal everyday stuff. But if it's any consolation almost all of us have been asking for cars and garages since 2014. The developers acknowledged that they know we want cars but...they're not working on them. Why...well who knows.

There's been a few threads for the CAS stuff though....Maxis neglects male sims a lot. The latest EP for instance had about 5 different feminine hairstyles and 2 masculine ones.The discrepancy is huge.

Indeed, this describes a lot of what I mean. In those ads, it's a game for everyone.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited April 2021
    Understand C.A.S. Is women directed. I play men sims, and do the same I would with women. Shirt, pants, job, lifelong goal E.G. Own a restaurant, top promotion, children, dog. Maybe I'm a bit of a simple ton. Open to hear other opinions. PS4. Edited: it blurred simple ton. Asked a question, scroll down (not a malicious way, I want to know more.)
    Post edited by BettyNewbie1 on
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2021
    Sort of agree, a lot of the stuff nowadays is very "cute" and more feminine. I looked at the trailers as well and every single one of them has a female protagonist, I couldn't find a single trailer where a male sim was the star of the show. I feel like this is more for their "family friendly" thing then targeting females though, too much focus on making things cute and friendly to appeal to children. In the Sims 3 trailers were more mature and humorous, nowadays they're all "have fun in the beautiful mountains :-) play on the slopes! meet the friendly mascot!". Sims 4 trailers are literally like trailers for a children's tv show...

In game as well I'd like to see a lot more male focus in general, there's a billion female hair and clothing items but the options for male sims are incredibly lacking (and where are the normal hairstyles? I don't want my sims hair to either be ridiculously high or flat.)
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Hm. I don’t see a problem. Maybe because I’m sort a girlie guy. But there is more content for female sims than makes. I don’t know. Do more females play than males? It might be a demographic thing. In any regard. I’m happy.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    Not an a malicious way I ask. What manly tasks do you ask for? I am curious, I only have a woman's perspective, so I may not see the gaps.
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    I definitely get what you mean OP. But, hey if they want to neglect half the video game market it's only less dollars for them so, eh whatever.

• Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited April 2021
    The only thing I can agree about being "too girly" (not exactly how I would phrase it, however) is the fact that CAS is extremely female oriented, as opposed to being equally attentive towards male Sims. I definitely agree EA should focus more on male clothing, hairstyles, and accessories.

Other than that, I can't say I entirely agree... what exactly is "girly" otherwise? I mean, to be fair, The Sims is basically a dollhouse simulator... it's never been the most "masculine" type of game to begin with. I mean, the Sims are pretty much dolls you dress up and play with... but that definitely doesn't mean boys and men shouldn't be able to enjoy it. I'm a guy and I've been a fan of The Sims since I was around 10 years old (I'm 26 now). Though, I'm also gay, so maybe that's a factor? I have no idea.

Either way, if we're talking about the excess amounts of CAS items geared towards female Sims VS male Sims, then I definitely would agree... but the overall game doesn't come off as "more girly" than previous games in the franchise. At least not for me.

Edit: Also, to my understanding, The Sims is a unique franchise in the video game industry that has mostly female players VS most other video games, which generally have mostly male players. This could possibly be why it's geared more towards girls and women... but, I still don't personally think it's necessarily "girly".
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think it's girly. Though I find it too pre-teen focused :/

THIS! The Sims 4 definitely feels more "childish" compare to previous games in the series (especially Sims 2 and Sims 3), but that definitely has nothing to do with it being "girly" or whatever.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think it's girly. Though I find it too pre-teen focused :/

Yes. I'm too tired for this demographic :(
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2021
    The only thing I can agree about being "too girly" (not exactly how I would phrase it, however) is the fact that CAS is extremely female oriented, as opposed to being equally attentive towards male Sims. I definitely agree EA should focus more on male clothing, hairstyles, and accessories.

Other than that, I can't say I entirely agree... what exactly is "girly" otherwise? I mean, to be fair, The Sims is basically a dollhouse simulator... it's never been the most "masculine" type of game to begin with. I mean, the Sims are pretty much dolls you dress up and play with... but that definitely doesn't mean boys and men shouldn't be able to enjoy it. I'm a guy and I've been a fan of The Sims since I was around 10 years old (I'm 26 now). Though, I'm also gay, so maybe that's a factor? I have no idea.

Either way, if we're talking about the excess amounts of CAS items geared towards female Sims VS male Sims, then I definitely would agree... but the overall game doesn't come off as "more girly" than previous games in the franchise. At least not for me.

The way the males flirt in the game. Definitely girly at times and they flirt with men and women whether you want them to or not. Also, not everyone plays the game as a "dollhouse" I play because I've always been fascinated by AI. And watching these tiny people live their lives is still amazing to me.
  • Options
    Lazzial wrote: »

The flirting. Definitely girly at times and they flirt with men and women whether you want them to or not. Also, not everyone plays the game as a "dollhouse" I play because I've always been fascinated by AI. And watching these tiny people live their lives is still amazing to me.

So, flirting is "girly" now? lol I honestly don't understand this point of view, but okay... also, I never said everyone plays it like a dollhouse. I said that's basically what it is, because it's true... you're basically playing with virtual dolls that you dress up and create stories for, while also decorating/building houses for them to live in. It's obviously not an actual dollhouse simulator, but can easily be considered one. It wasn't meant in an offensive way at all. All people should be able to enjoy playing with dolls. It sparks imagination and creativity, along with teaching people (especially children) about caretaking.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    Lazzial wrote: »

The way the males flirt in the game. Definitely girly at times and they flirt with men and women whether you want them to or not. Also, not everyone plays the game as a "dollhouse" I play because I've always been fascinated by AI. And watching these tiny people live their lives is still amazing to me.

Yeah well...TS4 is 90% doll house compared to the other games....it's more about the concept rather than the execution...like setting up a play instead of you playing through a video game. The previous games allowed you to do this but the video game aspect wasn't as compromised...there was more logic and a better balance regarding punishment vs reward.

In TS4 sims can literally get plastic surgery for free for example....in TS2 you needed to complete a whole career to be able to do that and it could still fail. In TS3 you had to pay for that and it could still have a failed outcome especially if you went cheap. TS4 doesn't care about player choices, you'll almost always get it for free or the easy way or it won't matter,you're no longer playing a game. In previous iterations, mainly TS2 you literally had to live with the DNA you gave your sim in CAS, choices mattered...that's why TS2, a game from 2004, still rivals TS4 to this day.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Not an a malicious way I ask. What manly tasks do you ask for? I am curious, I only have a woman's perspective, so I may not see the gaps.

I think it's hard to explain, because my answer is "look at the packs" but I realize you will see nothing wrong because everything looks fun :)

Knitting, doing laundry, vacuuming, ... not saying they are things women should do but I can't look at those packs and think. "Oh yes that's what I want to do, this looks fun". I almost got the laundry pack because everyone is raving about it but why would I wanna make my sims do laundry? There are butlers for that.

Also the community is rather feminine. I don't want to offend anyone with that but it something and that is not something that bothers me but I only found one YouTuber that can explain the game to me so I understand what's fun but he's a game changer so I don't fully trust his opinions entirely.

It's hard to explain without offending anyone, it's a bit a mine field to express. But I guess it's better to reverse the question. Do you feel most other games are not catered to you or women are not represented enough in the game communities? It's something I noticed in my Youtube algorithms which is pushing a lot of female YouTubers all of a sudden but they all play the sims.

I always thought the Sims was the only game that was really catered to both men and women but I don't find that in Sims 4

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited April 2021
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Clearly, the game wasn’t made for me and that’s especially clear these days when everything is very much catered to younger female teenagers, and the team has acknowledged that young female teenagers are who play the game most.

But listen, I’m not mad about it. It’s only natural for a business to cater to their target demographic whether they care to admit it or not. It would make no sense to cater to everyone young/old/male/female when you know the majority of people who buy and play your game are young and female.

That being said, I will continue to play the game and hope to see more things I would personally enjoy as a player. It’s not a game I play everyday nor is it a game I play and then talk with my friends about. I will stop playing when I stop enjoying it. Until then, I’ll just sit back and buy packs that appeal to me and use features that appeal to me, however few and far between they arrive.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top