Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we get a rehaul on more base game hairs?

I do enjoy seeing a lot of the afro texture hairs being redone and new ones coming to the game, as there's always been a lack of variety of those hairs in just about every iteration of the game

But, a good handful of the base game hairs are like a fever dream of bad especially the yellow ones of being too mustard or that weird green shading for the light yellow. The high updo bun is probably a good example of that (not on my computer to show it). That and there's some that look a little too chunky looking. :#

Would like to see a lot of these updated to look a lot smoother and better shading of the color they have.
5vJrxmT.png

Comments

• Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    edited March 2021
    I agree that more color options are needed for hair, but I'd prefer that they just add more color swatches (like they did with skin tones) rather than change the existing ones. I don't want my sims that I already made, play with, and take screenshots of, to change their hair color automatically in an update. I want to be the one that chooses whether or not their hair color changes.

And I also don't want the shape of existing hair styles to change, for the same reason. I'd rather just have more options.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I agree that more color options are needed for hair, but I'd prefer that they just add more color swatches (like they did with skin tones) rather than change the existing ones. I don't want my sims that I already made, play with, and take screenshots of, to change their hair color automatically in an update. I want to be the one that chooses whether or not their hair color changes.

And I also don't want the shape of existing hair styles to change, for the same reason. I'd rather just have more options.

All well and fine. Understand that. Have a few sims with base game hair.

But some of these base game hairs just aren't all that great in the least and I believe some of them can definitely benefit in being redone better especially the ones that seem to have more than one version of itself. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2021
    I agree that some swatches could be fixed, that yellow hair in particular.

And basegame hairs aren’t great in general, but they look even worse now next to the updated ones, and even next to the more recent ones.
    So yes it would be nice if they got a redone as well.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Since they've already chosen to update hairstyles, rather than add new versions, I'd definitely vote to update other base game hairs.

Separate to the color issue, there are a number of hairs that are less sophisticated mesh-wise and definitely blurry/low-quality in terms of the texture. It would be nice if they were all brought more in-line with their current style.
  • Options
    This top bun one I never liked at all.. :#
    fjGHVlp.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I really, really hope that after they complete the Afro hairstyles upgrades, that they'll fix the Wavy & Straight hairstyles.
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I really, really hope that after they complete the Afro hairstyles upgrades, that they'll fix the Wavy & Straight hairstyles.

Yeah, glad to see more options and better face lifts for the afro-texture hairstyles, especially for just base game alone because before you started getting packs they were more than sparse, but now there's definitely better choices for them.

One I want redone is the one long hair over the shoulder that has two versions of it.

5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    These could use an update....

F6JOSoY.png
    B5E7YMd.png
    6WW9xxf.png
    gE6sIp5.png
    RvVjWEZ.png
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »

F6JOSoY.png
    B5E7YMd.png
    6WW9xxf.png
    gE6sIp5.png
    RvVjWEZ.png

They all look like....cheese :D:D

I actually don't really mind them, but they could update the textures and shapes a bit. Especially if this game is supposed to go on for years.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    fjGHVlp.png

Her bun is held in place by......magic?
  • Options

F6JOSoY.png
    B5E7YMd.png
    6WW9xxf.png
    gE6sIp5.png
    RvVjWEZ.png

That first one and that hair line. D:

Second long hair definitely very chunky lookin and really needs to be smoothed out a lot more the next ones too.

The last two could use a bit of tweaking as they aren't too bad but agree with the above could use some better texture for it too.

5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    bixters wrote: »

Her bun is held in place by......magic?

Yep, just magic. :T

Wouldn't mind seeing a hairtie for this one or at least making the bun look like it's not defying gravity and plopped on there. Definitely need some better textures.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,348 Member
    edited March 2021

F6JOSoY.png
    B5E7YMd.png
    6WW9xxf.png
    gE6sIp5.png
    RvVjWEZ.png

No. I like those hairstyles and I actually use all of them a lot. Especially the last one, which is one of my favorites. This is what I'm talking about in my earlier comment. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people don't. I don't want the hairstyles I am already using to change. They should just add new ones instead.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm very 50/50, I don't mind the idea of some being slightly improved so the meshes are better quality, but some of the improvements (like better shaping) which would make the hair look nicer would also take away from their originality and make them different hairs. Like this hair for example, sure the new version is nicer but it's just not the same hair anymore.
    improved.png

I just feel like it wouldn't go great as a lot of people like the originals and use them regularly and wouldn't want their sims to suddenly start looking different. Like as of the last update Bob Pancakes looks different as his hairstyle was updated and imo although the mesh is nicer, it's really ruined his look and took away his individuality and he just doesn't look the same anymore. I don't want that to start happening to all my sims unless they find some way of making it optional so we can chose to keep the older variant if we prefer. As someone else said I'd rather they just added new ones.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

F6JOSoY.png
    B5E7YMd.png
    6WW9xxf.png
    gE6sIp5.png
    RvVjWEZ.png

No. I like those hairstyles and I actually use all of them a lot. Especially the last one, which is one of my favorites. This is what I'm talking about in my earlier comment. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people don't. I don't want the hairstyles I am already using to change. They should just add new ones instead.
    And I don't so much, but that's okay because opinions varies. :)

Yeah could see some various second versions of some said hair which could be fine, but at the same time I don't care to have two or three of the same hairs for base game as well. As per usual there's always going to be some disappointment somewhere with some if they do ever decide to do something with the base game hairs be it making a new mesh entirey or updating.

Some I find to really just need some better tweaking than a complete overhaul as I still like a lot of various original designs of some of the base game hairs, but could definitely use some better mesh smoothing or better textures.

5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

F6JOSoY.png
    B5E7YMd.png
    6WW9xxf.png
    gE6sIp5.png
    RvVjWEZ.png

I 100% agree. Those textures are really awful and the hairs are very chunky looking.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    fjGHVlp.png

I despise that hairstyle....the scaling on the bun has always looked off to me and it's too slick looking.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2021
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    fjGHVlp.png

I despise that hairstyle....the scaling on the bun has always looked off to me and it's too slick looking.

That one looks as if someone did a "snip and sketch" round the original and cut and pasted it onto the head! It's too smooth around the edges. Nobody (from my knowledge anyway) has hair starting from the forehead like that!