Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you care about the "abuse" of virtual pets ?

What I mean is, often you see comments about, for example, the big size of the terrariums in MFPS. I almost never have them in my homes (yes I caved in and bought the pack and I am so ashamed I had to donate to WWF 10 bucks to justify it to myself) due to the fact that you can't let them roam around in your home. It's animal abuse to keep a single pet caged all it's life with it's only contact with another being once or twice a day for extremely short periods of time. So I don't like the terrariums, but I do think they're a good size. However a lot of people want them to be smaller to fit their aesthetic.

I know it's all just pixels, but I don't like to think about my sim mistreating an animal :/ Well, except maybe if they're some evil scum, but during regular gameplay. Do you care?
Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(

Comments

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @Marinuttonen

Yes I do care but thats because of my RL personality in general which includes being a pet owner so regardless of the fact this is a game in the whole 12 years I have been playing sims I have never deliberately killed my sims or pets as I personally get invested in them too much :) Actually I am not sure we can mistreat our animals in game (can we?) I hope not but as I have never tried to I am not sure if it's possible? If it is possible then that would not be my gameplay style for sure :)
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I do care. I don't enjoy being mean or hurting anything even if it is virtual.
  • Options
    MarinuttonenMarinuttonen Posts: 165 Member
    @SPARKY1922
    You can yell at the cats & dogs, other sims constantly do it to my pets when they're around my sim-homes. I decided when I first noticed this behaviour that I'd become nemesi with anyone who did it, so my sims have quite a ridiculous amounts of nemesi. Nemesises?

You can completely ignore the small pets in MFPS and let them live in filth. Not sure if they die from it, haven't tried for obvious reasons.
    Where are the pet bunnies, Sims 4 ?! :'(
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I would never be deliberately cruel to animals in real life, nor do I do so in the game. However, I must admit that I don't worry overmuch about creatures that can do a magical spin to change into a different colored collar, kerchief, sweater or what have you.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    @Marinuttonen

wow I have not seen that reaction to my pets by visiting sims so maybe I just spend so much time with my pets they are chilled? In real life if my pets take an instant dislike to somebody I am very wary of them as in my experience pets are extremely good at spotting not so great people quite naturally :)
  • Options
    @VeeDub

I don't mind that sort of things either. My take on it and I think the OP's as well is deliberate harm/neglect..
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't want the game limited to only good interactions or the right thing to do at all... I would be bored to tears if I only watched movies like that or read stories like that.
    With MFP.. yes you can let them live in filth .. the consequences are a filthy uncomfortable home for your sim.. that is very noticeable.. and an undying rodent (except from age) that bites ... and of course a disease that will kill your sim and can spread and kill others if you don't cure them.
    I have a hamster in a few homes that are well taken care of... immediate cleaning of the cages by good responsible sims one (Stardew Valley Abigal)... and I have evil types of sims (Sims 2 Loki Beaker types) that want to spread disease on purpose for his own deviant experimental reasons.
    I've personally never harmed a hamster or pet in real life and don't plan on starting any time soon. Really.. It's a game not everyone likes to play out Mary Sue over and over. You can take care of your hamsters responsibly.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I do care. I don't enjoy being mean or hurting anything even if it is virtual.

I hate animal abuse offline. I feel horrible when I accidentally step on my cat's tail in real life. Virtual animals I am against abusing too even when it's a mean or evil sim.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I am against abuse both in real life and virtual life. I don't get upset about the small pets in MFPS because they may seem to be stuck in little cages, but they are able to rocket off into space and go on adventures. My last little friend held raves and was a writer, too. I think that cage is keeping him from blowing up my house. ;)
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Do I care that the little guinea pig in game doesn’t get to roam around the house? No.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Um....do you have any idea how many Neopets I abandoned over the years?

• Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    Idc unless its like a bludgeon your dog to death simulator

I don't know why but this made me laugh harder than anything has in weeks.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    No. I honestly could care less about a virtual pet. In real life, I have a cat and I adore her but in the sims, I usually don't even play with pets. Because the sims is a video game I don't think too much into how my sims or their pets live their lives.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Idc unless its like a bludgeon your dog to death simulator

I don't know why but this made me laugh harder than anything has in weeks.

Glad to be of service 😂😂
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SimskristaSimskrista Posts: 175 Member
    I bet the sims small pets live better lives than lots of small pets irl...unfortunately
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    No. Unless it is something that is very very awful and encourages the player to do it. In Assassin's Creed 3 for example you can kill Cats and Dogs, however unlike other huntable animals the game considers them as Domesticated animals, and the Assassin you are playing do not kill Domesticated pets. If you do kill them, you will get "Desynchronized" (Basically the Assassin's Creed version of Dying in video games). I am fine with that since it gives the player penalty or give the players consequences for their actions. Discouraging them from doing something like that in real life.
  • Options
    talongirl6talongirl6 Posts: 184 Member
    I personally don't care about the animals in a video game because they aren't real, and I love to be able to tell darker stories in my games where everything isn't always happy and friendly. In fact, most of my time in video games is spent messing around and destroying as many things as possible, because I find that fun to do in video games. I do similar things in The Sims sometimes if I feel like it, such as just allowing my Sims to die randomly. However, I certainly do care about real life animals, because it's wrong and horrible to be cruel to them in real life. I would never do the things I do in video games in real life.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    I've never had a pet or animal confined to a cage i.e. gerbil, hamster or bird, Im more of a let 'em roam the house or property(so long as they know where to do their business) kind of person. My cousin used to have gerbils and I always thought it was mean he never interacted with it. I always tried to when I would go to his house. Of course the poor thing was hateful probably because my cousin was a hateful person(always picked on me-but its ok his life is trash now so-karma?🤷‍♀️) or maybe because he was caged and never let out. But Ive never purchased the caged animals in the game because it seemed wrong and kind of a waste since everyone was so busy living their sim lives.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Is it wrong if I say no 👀
    I'm pretty sweet and caring in real life and I like sweet things but I also don't like life sugar coated nor do I want to put myself in an illusionary bubble of alternate reality to pretend I'm in candy land.

Life is about balance and imo we need both the ugly side of life and the good even if it's in a game.
    I would love for the hamster to be able to roam but I don't feel particularly bad about it.

And lmbo @StrawberryYogurt 😂😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited March 2021
    I actually care a lot about the abuse of virtual animals. Of course, I'm a talking dog, so I may be a bit biased.

I'm not as worried about the small animals from My First Pet Stuff, because they actually go on vacations and send us postcards. Maybe the fish do that too, and are just less thoughtful and don't bother to write?

I move dust bunnies in Build/Buy mode so they won't get vacuumed up. I can't even handle virtual dust animal cruelty.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    I think we should be able to let them run around, or hold them and show them off to people, and stuff. Just having them be in a cage is so dull. IIRC didn't Sims 3 let you hold your pets and carry them around?

But other than that, I'm not worried from an animal abuse level. At the end of the day, entertainment trumps being realistic, so I'd gladly keep a flamingo or peacock or sea turtle as a pet in the Sims, even if it's not good for them in real life. (Seriously Sims, exotic pets pack when?) I get how you feel, though.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I refuse to buy Cats & Dogs because I can't stand the idea of a pet dying, or the animations for it. I've lost two cats over the course of my life and it traumatized me both times, especially with my mental health issues. It would just remind me constantly about that if I had pets in the game and just make me anxious and sad anytime I'd turn the game on. I use The Sims to escape, not remind me how cruel life is sometimes, especially for animals. I can appreciate the realism in the pack though.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    @SPARKY1922
    You can yell at the cats & dogs, other sims constantly do it to my pets when they're around my sim-homes. I decided when I first noticed this behaviour that I'd become nemesi with anyone who did it, so my sims have quite a ridiculous amounts of nemesi. Nemesises?

You can completely ignore the small pets in MFPS and let them live in filth. Not sure if they die from it, haven't tried for obvious reasons.

Neglected rodents in game can develop Rabid Rodent Fever, and if they bite a sim they transmit it. It’s contagious so you have to quarantine the infected sim, you can get them treatment for it, but if they die from it their ghost is doomed to spend eternity in a gerbil 🐹 costume. Well eternity only if you decide not to edit them in CAS 😈.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Sometimes? It depends on the severity. I have learned that many different people have various determinations of what humane means for people, let alone animals, and they do not always match up. I do not think it is a black and white answer, and what may be okay for one pet may not be for another.

(Some people consider it inhumane to keep a large dog in an apartment or to not walk them constantly, for example, but not all dogs have the same energy requirements. My own Alaskan Malamute is more than happy to sleep most of the day away on her memory foam bed inside, but by that definition I would be "abusing" her.)

More on topic, this sort of gray area informs my beliefs on virtual pets. I have no reason to look at the MFP small pets and assume abuse. Beyond just pretending they get let out, they quite canonically leave on their own adventures and send you a post card along the way unless you turn it off. Further, these are not real pets that you can see the suffering. If there were some sort of detailed suffering mechanic, you bet I would avoid it, but why would they add that? It is the Sims. A virtual dollhouse. You abuse the pixel people and pixel pets no more than you abuse Barbie when you change her clothes without her permission.