Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kind of annoyed at the scared emotion

Comments

• Options
    TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited February 2021
    Haunted houses are super OP :lol: (i mean that in a good way, don't even think about nerfing them, Maxis!)

My poor sims were constantly in a cycle of Scared and Terrified and I enjoyed every moment of it. Kinda interested to see how they expand this new emotion with DLCs moving forward.

Though outside of haunted houses, I barely notice the emotion.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited February 2021
    The only thing that really makes a Sim scared is thunderstorms. Oh, there's a few other things, but they burn off within an hour or two. This shows how much effort they really put into 'Fear' in base-game.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Now the only thing that I want is the "Scare" Mischief interaction to be actually scary hahaha
  • Options
    VikVik Posts: 125 Member
    Tantalus wrote: »
    Vik wrote: »
    Anyone else isn't crazy about the new scared emotion? If you don't play the new stuff pack, the sims just get scares for dumb reasons and start screaming at others. I rather have them go back to being tense in some cases.

I still need to experiment the fear emotion. Annoying? pff, as i said, since the update, nothing for me. I dont think people is going to go crazy for something that barely exists in the game unless you force it.

I don't force them to be scared of thunder, so nah
  • Options
    bella_goth wrote: »
    outside the stuff pack my sims barely get scared

Lucky you, my sims get scares of swimming, get scared of lighting, get scared of monsters under the bed and just end up running around an screaming at everyone else in the household. I would like the emotion more if they didn't do that because of some lighting strikes.

What traits do the sims you're talking about have? Like is it every sim you play with, or only certain ones?

I haven't played the game in a little while since I've been busy adding builds from the gallery in a new save file, so I can't speak from experience. But, to be fair, I find a lot of these fears realistic personally. I'm very afraid of lightning in real life and terrified of the dark too.

I'm pretty sure that all sims are scared of thunder (minus the ones that have the the special storm chaser trait). Some sims are scared of water, others aren't. I dunno what exactly determines that.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I love the scare emotion. We really can use some challenge in ts4.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    Thanks @Nikkih ! That's a big help!

Your welcome 😊 happy simming @Daephene
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,130 Member
    My sims are too brave for such nonsense.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    The only thing that really makes a Sim scared is thunderstorms. Oh, there's a few other things, but they burn off within an hour or two. This shows how much effort they really put into 'Fear' in base-game.

And the scared moodlet is often overridden. I have a snob sim in an empty starter and she barely got scared during a thunderstorm because the house was poorly decorated!
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited February 2021
    Anyone else isn't crazy about the new scared emotion? If you don't play the new stuff pack, the sims just get scares for dumb reasons and start screaming at others. I rather have them go back to being tense in some cases.

I still need to experiment the fear emotion. Annoying? pff, as i said, since the update, nothing for me. I dont think people is going to go crazy for something that barely exists in the game unless you force it.

The storm chaser reward trait is very cheap and will stop them being scared of storms.
    The childs night light completely removes the monster under the bed.

Outside of haunted houses my sims are scared of storms, the monster under the bed and I have one sim with the fear of water phobia. Hardly over whelming and the scared moodlet itself is usually over ridden by decor or other things so I personally would prefer it to be stronger. And carry a risk of death.
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »

And the scared moodlet is often overridden. I have a snob sim in an empty starter and she barely got scared during a thunderstorm because the house was poorly decorated!

Understandable for a snob, under the roof he isn't in life danger anymore and now he could take care of the most important important things, like the poorly decorated house. What could other Sims think of him, it's embarressing. :D

I'm okay with the scared emotions, I like them exactly how they are.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2021
    That's something I noticed. The scared emotion is overridden extremely easy as everyone says. Don't know yet if it's a good thing or bad thing but I think they tried hard to keep it tame.
    Unless something major happens in real life most fear is passive. Like seeing bugs or being around water or heights. Normally as soon as you are away from the thing that made you scared you move on and forget about it pretty quick.
    So I think it's pretty tame and realistic.

Now what I would like to see is phobias you can choose and sentiments related to them. Including fear that last longer for major things like fires.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited February 2021
    I have liked my sims getting scared more than I expected. The emotion feels better balanced - again - than I expected it to be. One point where I really didn't like it is that I have a vampire with day phobia and she often wakes up with daymares. She used to get +4 tense in combination and not be able to do pretty much anything. Now she just gets +2 tense +2 scared and can fuction normally. That's what I was kind of worried of, that the new emotion would lessen the effect of negative emotions. It's not a huge thing though, I'll just have to adjust to her being more capable again or get her one rank up in day phobia (is that enough to make her unfunctional again?).
    Post edited by musteni on
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I haven't had a sim get scared once to the point where it overrid the other emotions.
  • Options
    CelSims wrote: »

The storm chaser reward trait is very cheap and will stop them being scared of storms.
    The childs night light completely removes the monster under the bed.

Outside of haunted houses my sims are scared of storms, the monster under the bed and I have one sim with the fear of water phobia. Hardly over whelming and the scared moodlet itself is usually over ridden by decor or other things so I personally would prefer it to be stronger. And carry a risk of death.

I'm not doing to give my sims reward if it's not part of their story. I also play challenges and I need my satisfaction points.
  • Options
    I guess my sims' emotions work differently do to Meaningful Stories mod that is made to create better emotional balance. I guess that's a good thing because it's not a very good sign when a sim was more concerned about poor decor than scared.
  • Options
    I guess my sims' emotions work differently do to Meaningful Stories mod that is made to create better emotional balance. I guess that's a good thing because it's not a very good sign when a sim was more concerned about poor decor than scared.

Well if you won't use the options available to stop them being scared and you use a mod to make emotions more meaningful and last longer, I don't understand what the problem is? You seem to be deliberately making it worse for yourself and then complaining?
  • Options
    edited February 2021

Well if you won't use the options available to stop them being scared and you use a mod to make emotions more meaningful and last longer, I don't understand what the problem is? You seem to be deliberately making it worse for yourself and then complaining?
    I didn't know the mod would make the emotion kind of annoying, if that's even the reaosn why. And I was not complaining, talking about some things you don't like is something I see on here all the time, so I don't see why I can't express something without "complaining" SHM
    Next time ignore me, thanks.
  • Options

I didn't know the mod would make the emotion kind of annoying, if that's even the reaosn why. And I was not complaining, talking about some things you don't like is something I see on here all the time, so I don't see why I can't express something without "complaining" SHM
    Next time ignore me, thanks.

Click on the users name to go to their profile page. From there click the little person icon and select ignore. If you are going to get upset at wording of responses you are probably going to need this quite a lot ;)
  • Options
    ForEmaleighForEmaleigh Posts: 33 Member
    After seeing how often a sim is scared.....I absolutely understand why we don’t have “scared to death”.
    Sims are scared so frequently that we would probably have an entire neighborhood die within a sim week 🤣
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Honestly the Paranormal stuff is watered down and poorly written. EA has given up and writing this stuff while using the restroom. Not all are frighten by the unexplained. Night after night my Sims have to deal with the Temperance breaking appliances then you got Gautry hanging out till the sun comes up. Need a better way to remove these spirts then just candles and kicking stuff.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Ohh meaningful stories... ok, with that mod it can be anoying...
    For example, when someone dies this mod makes a sim very sad for around 6 to 8 days. Well, if you're playing in normal lifespan, this can be way too much (for some people, while of course others will love it)...
    Try taking the mod out and playing like the game is intended for a while. You'll notice that there's nothing exagerated. It is problably one of the features more toned down right from the beginning.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,462 Member
    Honestly the Paranormal stuff is watered down and poorly written. EA has given up and writing this stuff while using the restroom. Not all are frighten by the unexplained. Night after night my Sims have to deal with the Temperance breaking appliances then you got Gautry hanging out till the sun comes up. Need a better way to remove these spirts then just candles and kicking stuff.

If you don't want the spirits, why are you playing a haunted lot?
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

You can disable Guidry and Temperance doesn’t appear very often if you keep the spiritual serenity of the house up by removing the cursed items and performing ceremonies on the seance table. I actually think the pack is quite well done and it’s definitely one of the best stuff packs so far.

If you really don’t enjoy the gameplay you do have the option to turn off the haunted residential and play as normal.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,954 Member
    Need a better way to remove these spirts then just candles and kicking stuff.
    Pause your game (or not if you do not wish to)-> enter build mode-> change the lot type to residential.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina