Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Can I Make EA Hear Me???

This doesn't go here but at this point I am beyond frustrated and don't know what else to do. I have emailed, posted a thread in the tech area, done live chats for FIVE years and EA absolutely REFUSES to understand what my issue is and have not helped me.

I live in Barbados, in the Caribbean. Origin quotes my prices in Euros, I do not use a VPN. The latest excuse from EA is that my region does not have a dedicated Origin store so it directs me to the nearest region that does. How is Europe the closest region to the Caribbean?

Now getting a price is European currency would not be an issue if the price was actually correct, but it isn't. A game that costs US$9.99, $19.99 and $39.99 should not cost me €9.99, 19.99 and 39.99. If you do the conversion you will see that the prices do not match. When converted I am instead paying US$12.03, $24.07 and $48.15 respectively. This does NOT include taxes but is the base price. I also enquired of someone who lives in Europe as to the price they are seeing on their Origin and it is not the same that I am getting. I have been raising this issue since 2015 and NO ONE seems to ever understand what I am saying.

Something I use to relax and relieve stress should not be stressing me out this much because after five years this is just too much. I love the Sims and usually purchase games immediately on release or shortly after but I am just fed up at this point in time. The only fix I have for this is to purchase any future content or Sims titles ONLY when they go on sale because I am absolutely fed up and absolutely disgusted that this cannot be fixed after all this time.

Comments

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm not sure if it is anything to do with your Customs duties or this sort of thing which effects other countries as well. The international exchange rate, which I am not an expert on at all. I think your custom duties on imports might be large as Barbados needs the money but have no idea if it applies to digital ones as well. The UK always pays much higher prices for PCs than the USA for example. I suppose you pay higher for living in such a beautiful country.

https://simscommunity.info/2018/01/16/origin-has-changed-prices-for-the-sims-4-packs-in-multiple-countries/
  • Options
    Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it is anything to do with your Customs duties or this sort of thing which effects other countries as well. The international exchange rate, which I am not an expert on at all. I think your custom duties on imports might be large as Barbados needs the money but have no idea if it applies to digital ones as well. The UK always pays much higher prices for PCs than the USA for example. I suppose you pay higher for living in such a beautiful country.

https://simscommunity.info/2018/01/16/origin-has-changed-prices-for-the-sims-4-packs-in-multiple-countries/

It has nothing to do with custom duties. This is my price listed on Origin. There are no customs duties on a digital game. It's an issue with Origin that needs to be addressed. I shouldn't even be charged in Euros.
  • Options
    edited February 2021

This only happens on Origin. How can there be import duties on a digital purchase? I can shop on Amazon, Ebay, Steam any website and pay what is charged on those sites. I bought Snowy Escape on HumbleBundle and paid US$19.99. Humblebundle however no longer carries sims games. Why can't I pay US$9.99 for this last pack on Origin or couldn't on any pack in the past. Origin is charging me €9.99. How can that be??? That's US$12.04. No one who actually lives in Europe is paying €9.99.

That link you posted is from 2018, I've been having this problem since 2015 at least.
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Make a YouTube account and get 70 million subscribers. Then scream about a part of the game being racist. We have seen that's the only way to get EA to listen.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    One way could be to wait for a sale of the base game in steam, buy it, then buy your packs with steam and import them into origin. I know it's not a ideal solution but I can't think of anyway to get marketing to listen to you, sorry.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited February 2021
    Have you tried to buy in other site besides origin? Like cdkeys or instant gaming? Maybe they'll charge you in american dollars...
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I saw this on Reddit about buying X box games from other regions much cheaper and Microsoft seems to allow it. It might work with Origin. I don't know. Maybe you could try changing your Origin country choice to the USA & USA dollars? I've never tried this myself but Origin keeps changing my country to the USA all the time!

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/5dmneb/guide_buying_digital_games_from_other_regions/

Otherwise you are just unlucky and have to wait for sales.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I actually had to look up what was happening where you live which was interesting which makes prices in your country interesting and possibly a change for them if this pans out:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/barbados-remove-u-k-s-queen-elizabeth-ii-head-state-n1240195

I don't know where to direct you to for it, but sent this link to this thread to contact some Gurus on where to direct you to help you out hopefully. You might need to contact SimGuruFrost about it on Twitter and ask him about it because your situation is very unique. Just explain what is happening. Honestly I think the whole Caribbean should be charged US prices in my personal opinion. I know SimGuruFrost lives in Canada, so he probably has a better understanding on how international pricing works out. I hope you are able to get some help on this and directed to the right area for help. SimGuruFrost is the community manager for the Sims 4, so could start there. Make sure to explain that you tried contacting EA help and they were unable to help you. You got this.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    One way could be to wait for a sale of the base game in steam, buy it, then buy your packs with steam and import them into origin. I know it's not a ideal solution but I can't think of anyway to get marketing to listen to you, sorry.

Would I still get to keep my current packs?
  • Options
    telmarina wrote: »
    Have you tried to buy in other site besides origin? Like cdkeys or instant gaming? Maybe they'll charge you in american dollars...

I don't want to use CDKEys because EA doesn't recognise it as an authorised dealer. I used Humble Bundle last time but they don't sell Sims 4 anymore. I'm not sure about Instant gaming.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    I saw this on Reddit about buying X box games from other regions much cheaper and Microsoft seems to allow it. It might work with Origin. I don't know. Maybe you could try changing your Origin country choice to the USA & USA dollars? I've never tried this myself but Origin keeps changing my country to the USA all the time!

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/5dmneb/guide_buying_digital_games_from_other_regions/

Otherwise you are just unlucky and have to wait for sales.

No matter what country I change my Origin to the pricing and currency remains the Euros.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Scobre wrote: »
    I actually had to look up what was happening where you live which was interesting which makes prices in your country interesting and possibly a change for them if this pans out:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/barbados-remove-u-k-s-queen-elizabeth-ii-head-state-n1240195

I don't know where to direct you to for it, but sent this link to this thread to contact some Gurus on where to direct you to help you out hopefully. You might need to contact SimGuruFrost about it on Twitter and ask him about it because your situation is very unique. Just explain what is happening. Honestly I think the whole Caribbean should be charged US prices in my personal opinion. I know SimGuruFrost lives in Canada, so he probably has a better understanding on how international pricing works out. I hope you are able to get some help on this and directed to the right area for help. SimGuruFrost is the community manager for the Sims 4, so could start there. Make sure to explain that you tried contacting EA help and they were unable to help you. You got this.

We have our own currency so removing the Queen as head of state won't affect that. I don't use Twitter unfortunately but thank you. Every single website I use quotes me in US prices which is actually tied 2:1 to the Barbadian dollar and therefore easy for me to calculate the local cost to me. I don't understand why Origin is like this.
  • Options
    Saunta2 wrote: »

Would I still get to keep my current packs?

You won't be able to transfer your origin packs into steam but you should be able to transfer the packs from steam into origin. I've never read of a problem being able to use steam packs in origin but I have read of problems of being able to use origin packs in steam.

I have all the packs in sims 3 through origin and when origin stopped letting me load more than the base game when I play it, I bought the sims 3 and most of the packs again through steam. Before I got greedy and tried to load my store packs from the sims 3 into steam, (but is it really greedy since I already owned them?) I was able to play the steam packs with no problems. Now steam gives me an error when I try to play the sims 3 and origin won't let me load my owned origin packs because the game plays better with fewer packs even though my computer specs can play the sims 4 at high settings. I uninstalled the sims 3 from both steam and origin but I still can't get it to work in steam, so I gave up. I'm really furious with EA about it.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    You have to use a louder megaphone
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Is this large enough?
    Giant-Wooden-Megaphones-In-A-Forest-To-Amplify-The-Sounds-Of-Nature.jpg
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    I feel with you, as an expat I'm moving houses around the world. I still get paid in my home country and have a credit card from my bank account too, but they became useless the moment I move abroad.

They offer me the new region prices in foreign currency and the region locked version, but they don't accept my credit card in due of the foreign IP-adress and foreign bill adress and I'm not able to buy the game in my own language anymore because of the region lock thing. Yeah Origin is very bad designed for me too, I gave up. In a few years amazon will help me again.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    I am not sure who it was you asked about prices in the EU, but the full price in Ireland is €9.99, €19.99, and €39.99 and has always been unless there is a sale.

In Italy the price is a little lower because of their tax.

Also, if you're looking at prices in the US, those listed are excluding tax, so by the time you're at the checkout, the full price is more than the listed $9.99 etc. (as per their laws regarding pricing, where tax is not added until the end of the purchase process).
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Now getting a price is European currency would not be an issue if the price was actually correct, but it isn't. A game that costs US$9.99, $19.99 and $39.99 should not cost me €9.99, 19.99 and 39.99. If you do the conversion you will see that the prices do not match. When converted I am instead paying US$12.03, $24.07 and $48.15 respectively. This does NOT include taxes but is the base price.

I believe it's because in Europe taxes are already included in the price, whilst in other countries taxes are added after. The price to get the packs in Britain is exactly the same as the higher prices you listed when converted to dollars
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited February 2021

I don't want to use CDKEys because EA doesn't recognise it as an authorised dealer. I used Humble Bundle last time but they don't sell Sims 4 anymore. I'm not sure about Instant gaming.

I believe one of the gurus or origin themselves confirmed that cdkeys was safe to use. We debated on this a long time ob this forum. But someone finally confirmed it.
    Hopefully someone here can link the official info. It might have been on twitter.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    US taxes on purchases are based on whether the state has sales tax. My state doesn't have sales tax but it has state tax.
    Post edited by DragonAge_300905 on
  • Options

LOL..
  • Options

I believe one of the gurus or origin themselves confirmed that cdkeys was safe to use. We debated on this a long time ob this forum. But someone finally confirmed it.
    Hopefully someone here can link the official info. It might have been on twitter.

I actually asked in a live chat and was told no
  • Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I got more clarity here than I've gotten from the live chat and emails with EA in 5 years. When I first contacted EA about this issue in March 2015 I was told that it was an issue with programming that they would not be able to resolve due to costs and having to re-train staff. Every time since then the cause of the issue has been different.
  • Options
    I am not sure who it was you asked about prices in the EU, but the full price in Ireland is €9.99, €19.99, and €39.99 and has always been unless there is a sale.

Also, if you're looking at prices in the US, those listed are excluding tax, so by the time you're at the checkout, the full price is more than the listed $9.99 etc. (as per their laws regarding pricing, where tax is not added until the end of the purchase process).

When I bought Snowy Escape from Humble Bundle I paid US$39.99. There was no tax added on.
  • Options

When I bought Snowy Escape from Humble Bundle I paid US$39.99. There was no tax added on.

When you go to the grocery store, do you have to pay taxes on your purchase? They can only add sales tax if you have to pay sales tax where you live.