Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your favourite things in The Sims 3

Hi all,

I have been a long time player of all the Sims games but have had a long break from The Sims 3.

I am planning to get back into it within the next few months but I feel uninspired and overwhelmed all at the same time. I have all the expansion packs apart from Showtime and Into the Future.

Please can you all let me know your favourite things to do in the game. Such as your favourite world, favourite pre-mades, favourite expansion packs, favourite challenges, favourite professions and careers etc. I would really love to know :)

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    KkffooKkffoo Posts: 51 Member
    I've just started playing sims 3 this week (have played 1,2 &4). Though I'm still learning the ropes there are many things I already love, such as being able to change the hue and texture of items, and just now visited a grocery store. For some reason filling up my virtual fridge was really satisfying, even though my poor sim couldn't cook any of it due to lack of skill!
    Today, finding out that all the bookcases in the library had a slightly different selection of books, swimming in the sea, and I must be mad but that bobbly obscure glass in the shower cubicle seems to be adorably retro.
    Ooh, house phones, and reading newspapers, and the lovely details in the animations, such as page turning a book. So much of sims 3 seems to have been done really well.
    As I am such a short distance into the game there must be much more, the idea of being able to download complete new worlds seems really exciting.
  • Options
    FoxInSocksFoxInSocks Posts: 18 Member
    I haven't played in years, but I loved the outcomes of the puppies/kittens/horse babies. You always got a pretty good combo of the parents unlike in the sims 4.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I have all the expansions packs here but I play with just a few. A good idea is to install little by little. For instance, play a generation with just the base game, then install another expansion pack. Play the next generation and repeat. This way you can explore the expansion packs leisurely.
  • Options
    capgalcapgal Posts: 308 Member
    @Kkffoo Welcome to the game! There are some great details. I love the baby announcements in newspaper.

@FoxInSocks I’ve had the Pets expansion since release but really haven’t explored the pets let alone breeding. I don’t ever think I’ve ever even had a pet horse. Thats definitely something to explore when I get back to playing.

@thuggishsplicer
    That’s a really great idea actually. I feel like that would be good for really perusing each expansion pack. There’s so much I haven’t explored.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited January 2021
    Screenshot-257.jpg
    Bebe Hart - shown here with E-Skin; cc-eyes and cc makeup.

For a base sim... Bebe Hart was exquisite perfection and that's one of my "favorite things" about Sims 3. :D:mrgreen:

Bebe_Hart_%28Sims_3%29.jpg
    Bebe as she is in the game un-cc'd.

Who's Jamie Jolina???
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer Jamie Jolina married one of my sims. They were a cute couple, of course I toned down her make up. XD
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    River McIrish is #2 on my list of favorite things. :mrgreen

...or at least the one I play with.
    Screenshot-10.jpg

Now my favorite things to do list is a whole 'nother story. :D

1. Achieving the highest skill possible in cooking -
    Screenshot-384.jpg
    2. Gardening -
    Screenshot-4.jpg
    3. Fishing -
    Screenshot-67.jpg
    4. Eating -
    Screenshot-27.jpg
    5. Dropping large flaming objects on sims. (meteors).
    Screenshot-186.jpgScreenshot-187.jpg

Oh and 6. (Can't forget six...) Nuking Sunset Valley.
    Screenshot-127_nuke3.png
    Note: You can only do this in Photoshop. You can't do this in game. :mrgreen:
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    KkffooKkffoo Posts: 51 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer hah ha you got me! For a moment there thinking there were unknown *sims city* elements mixed in.
    Actually the sims city feel is another thing that I love about the open neighbourhood, but with meaningful individuals instead of generic crowds making up the backdrop. I loved seeing one of my sims from another household leaving the cinema that I'd left him in, after I'd swapped households and was playing with another family.
  • Options
    capgalcapgal Posts: 308 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer You know, I don't think I've ever played Bebe Hart or River McIrish. They're both on my list when I get back to playing. I also loved the fishing, cooking, gardening etc. I've got my eye on a few of the gardening premium content in the store. Your screenshots are great by the way. I love the meteor crash! :D
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Favoruite world as of now is Evansdale County
    Favourite expansion pack is either Ambitions or World Adventure
    Favourite challenges : no challenge
    Favourite Professions : Firefighter
    Favourite Career : Any career
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

@capgal Hi, welcome back to sims 3. It is an amazing game and I love most everything about it. :grin:

My favorite world is Moonlight Falls. Second favorite Dragon Valley. Least favorite Sunset Valley.

My favorite expansion is Supernatural. I have all though and finally got a desktop and have all installed. AWESOME!

My favorite pre-mades: Marshall Flynn from Midnight Hollow (he is really Mitchell Flynn but I changed the name, bad experience with a Mitchell :grin: His wife is Jennifer Doe also a pre-made from MH. I don't play many pre-mades though preferring to make my own sims or beg my friends for their sims and create stories with them. I do use EA sims as friends, neighbors and will occasionally pull a favorite into a story.

Favorite challenge: I don't play challenges. I don't like rules. Got enough of those in real life.

Favorite professions: It depends on what story I'm telling. I'm enjoying the ghost hunting and detective right now and have one sim dabbling with architecture. I also like making them writers or painters or gardeners so I don't have to restrict activities to after a rabbit hole job is done.

My favorite Mods: Nraas, they enabled me to continue playing the game with the awesome mods that truly make this game mine. I was ready to quit in 2013 before I starting using them.

My absolute favorite thing is being able to tell a story with my sims.

Hope you have lots of fun rediscovering this awesome game. Happy simming!
  • Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,910 Member
    edited January 2021
    I love the open world of sims 3 and walking outside and seeing the neighbors out in their yards hanging out and playing with the kids or pets. I started out playing Sims 3 so I have some very fond memories of it!

P.S. had to add this also, when sim children/teens are in school its realistic and they aren't out on the streets during school hours, I super duper love that about Sims 3.
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,774 Member
    I love the open world because it’s more realistic to me. You actually get a big area to explore and you’ve got a lot of room to expand, depending on the world you use. Some people don’t like the occult’s but I love playing them. World Adventures is fun to do, especially the tombs. However, I’ve done them so many times that I know which one is which. I know Sunset Valley is the base works but I love all the townies there and I know where everybody lives. I can’t really say I have an absolutely favorite world because they are each unique.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    edited January 2021
    I also just recently moved back to TS3, after taking an indefinite break from TS4 until some critical bugs get fixed. That was six months ago -- still waiting.

Anyway, I forgot how much fun TS3 is. It's always been my favorite of the series, and now I remember why.

To answer a few of your questions: Favorite EA world is Midnight Hollow (with Supernatural). Second favorite is Dragon Valley. Favorite non-EA world is Legacy Island 3.

Favorite mods: Everything by NRAAS is mandatory for me, but absolutely Master Controller and Overwatch. Also, Retuner lets me "fix" some interactions where I don't like the standard behavior. Another that is almost mandatory for me is No foot tapping while waiting for a route to clear", by Stevebo77 (from Mod The Sims). Others that I enjoy: Auto collect (by douglasveiga at MTS), Enhanced Witches (by PuddingFace at MTS).

Favorite thing to do: almost endless. Swim in pools, swim in ocean, run, play chess, play pool, ride horses, fish, collect insects, brew nectar, ride the fairy train, garden, cook, bake cookies, dance, break space rocks, brew potions, channel surf, cook outs, train other sims, sim-watch on community lots, spar, ... I think that's about 1 percent of it.

Edit: oh, and my favorite expansion is Pets, but sadly I can't play with pets in my sim household because the dogs in my real household go crazy when they hear the sounds.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Playable babies!

0KC5rAP.jpg

Xm13JZ6.jpg

I'm also back over from Sims 4, finally gave up hope of getting content with any depth to it. I'm starting to rediscover so much of what I missed about it, but mostly being able to send every member of your household to a different lot & still be able to play them all.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Welcome back, @ldmarko

@Kkffoo - I used to be a wildlife photographer, so Photoshop was an ever-present thing for post-processing my images...now I get to "post-process" my sims images. :D For my apocalypse sims fic, I wanted an actual visual of Sunset Valley getting nuked; so I had to go into my Photoshop and cook up one. And luckily someone did a post-apocalyptic Sunset Valley wasteland so that helped too. I wish there were hidden elements of SimCity disasters like tornados, fires...etc. in the Sims game.

@capgal - Bebe Hart is one of the successes for the devs in Sims 3 who created those characters. She turned out pretty nicely even as a base sim.
    River McIrish on the other hand...is a diamond in the rough. River_McIrish.png
    EA Base Sim.
    What I turned her into:
    Screenshot-64.jpg
    If you tweak her she's stunning.

There's a lot of favourite things in the Sims 3 that I like but I'd be here all night listing them.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,358 Member
    Hi! Favorite world is Sunset Valley. When I started playing Sims 3 in Sunset Valley in 2014 I thought I'd play until I was tired of it and move on to the next world. Six years later I'm still there! I have played briefly in other worlds but Sunset Valley is like home, so familiar and I love the townies or pre-mades, whichever they're called.

I love the Cornelia, Gunther and Mortimer Goth, Agnes Crumplebottom, Claire Ursine, the Frio brothers and the Wolffs. Those are my favorites.

Favorite non EA world is Cake island by Rflong7. Her worlds are awesome and she has many.

My advice is just boot up the game and start playing. Next time you look up it will be 4 am :)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    My favorite things in Sims 3 are:
    Time Machine
    Genies
    Fairies
    Werewolves
    Generations
    Moonlight Falls
    Bridgeport