Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open neighborhoods?

Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
edited February 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
This is probably not the first, nor the last thread about it, but I strongly believe we should be able to move between different lots on the same neighborhood without a loading screen.

The other lots don't necessarily have to be "active", but the transition should still be seamless, much like how residential lots are "opened up" when your Sim is let in. Loading screens should only be encountered when moving between neighborhoods.

In fact, it would be great if we could "open up" multiple lots at once, so that while one Sim is at a cafe, another Sim in the household can go to the adjacent library – with both of the lots remaining active until the first Sim leaves the cafe.

I'm aware that one of the biggest problem with the idea is performance, so perhaps it could be made a toggle, allowing players to change their settings based on how much their computers can handle

If it is made a toggle, which setting would you play on?
Post edited by Lorenerd11 on

Open neighborhoods? 52 votes

All lots in the neighborhoods active at all times.
51%
nickibitswardLukedrake_mccartyFelicityLiverickClassicalSimHarukotyanbenson2006ThenyoukissmeRenato10CAPTAIN_NXR7VermilionSphereKkffooValeahChicklet453681logionPatriceSMae64SimmerGeorgeEllupelluellu 27 votes
Multiple lots active at a time, but only when a played Sim is visiting the lot.
32%
GoldmoldarasimbsimBluelleFroilAPottsaujinehEnkiSchmidtMareahGrumpyGlowfishDaWaterRatCangwenElizaG2016orenjiAiLorenerd11VeeDubAbbyBaba729BookBear 17 votes
Only one lot active at a time, but with seamless transition and no loading screens.
9%
BabykittyjadeRifftraxRulestexxx78OldeseadoggeSERVERFRA 5 votes
Keep lot loading as it is.
5%
birdonawireSeashoreLiviaKimmer 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    VermilionSphereVermilionSphere Posts: 114 Member
    never gonna happen . the entire game is predicated on loading screens : the game's functionality would have to be reprogrammed from scratch . less costly to use loading screens . biggest mistake EA Maxis made in their creation of Sims 4
  • Options
    Lorenerd11Lorenerd11 Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2021
    never gonna happen. the entire game is predicated on loading screens: the game's functionality would have to be reprogrammed from scratch.
    I'm not sure why. You can use off lot objects just fine, and the others lots are still loaded up to some extent. You can see other lots and the objects on these lots just fine, you just can't use them.

I mean, darnit, move an object just one tile away off the lot with TOOL, and you can use that object from any lot in the neighborhood at all. So the restriction feels somewhat arbitrary.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited February 2021
    Only one lot active at a time, but with seamless transition and no loading screens.
    Even if i had a powerfull pc i wouldn't need to have all lots active at all time. I actually didn't like this in 3, cause sometimes i just wanted this friend to meet me quickly at the club and he was coming from the other side of the town and it took so long for him to arrive...
    But i def would like to visit neighbours and neighbouring community lots without a loading screen.
  • Options
    Cassieb95Cassieb95 Posts: 347 Member
    I would like that as long as it does not break my game.
  • Options
    AbbyBaba729AbbyBaba729 Posts: 135 Member
    I'd like all lots active at all times, but that'd set several peoples' PCs on fire.
    Base Game Sympathizer. Please push for more BG updates! Not everyone can afford packs!
    Proud Giyu Tomioka simp. :)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    One thing I never understood about the Sims 4 is why the districts aren't open?! I mean when you are in your active lot, the game has to load the whole environment, all the NPCs, all the surrounding houses and it even loads some of the objects you can see in the houses through windows or balconies. So the game basically loads everything in the whole district yet you still need a loading screen to change lots...

The only thing missing is the inside of the houses which is a) not very demanding and b) they could make it so you can "knock on door" so that the furniture has time to load. I cannot justify the 20 second loading screen unless the problem is that super outdated engine they are using which would be understable.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I would have been more conservative with my laptop before because I do not care so much about open worlds. However, now I have a new one that should be able to handle anything that the Sims can throw at it. So why not an open world if it is a toggle and it does not give me problems?

I am with you, though, there is no excuse for closed neighborhoods at this point. It was disappointing at launch and aged even worse with the pseudo open neighborhoods.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    This one suits my needs the best since i feel like only a handful of active lots at a time is enough for me. I would like my sim to visit the resturant i placed next door, or their next door neighboor without a loading screen. My laptop wont probably handle plenty of active lots and i dont really need that many anyway.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    One thing I never understood about the Sims 4 is why the districts aren't open?! I mean when you are in your active lot, the game has to load the whole environment, all the NPCs, all the surrounding houses and it even loads some of the objects you can see in the houses through windows or balconies. So the game basically loads everything in the whole district yet you still need a loading screen to change lots...

The only thing missing is the inside of the houses which is a) not very demanding and b) they could make it so you can "knock on door" so that the furniture has time to load. I cannot justify the 20 second loading screen unless the problem is that super outdated engine they are using which would be understable.

This is something I want to understand also. 🤔
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SMae64SMae64 Posts: 21 Member
    I voted for 'All lots in the neighborhoods active at all times'

I too find the loading screens a PITA so the eradication of them (if that's possible) would be a massive improvement for me
  • Options
    SMae64SMae64 Posts: 21 Member
    Oops.....didn't realise the forum software automatically adds poll option to the post

Lesson learned!
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2021

I don't understand this either, I assume it was part of the "project olympus design" where the game was supposed to be online. The game for some reason removes everything when traveling between lots, it's a very strange design decision because there is no reason why we can't use the assets that are already there, as you said, the only things that are missing are the interior. But the game does not support it.

I once got in a conversation about this with TwistedMexi, who you may know as the creator of the T.O.O.L mod which allows you to place objects off lot. Apperantly it's built into the UI and everything. He is just as confused as many others why they chose to do this.
    It's like moving from one one chair to another chair when sitting at a table by removing the all the chairs, the entire table and then move it back again and sit down on the other chair.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited February 2021
    What has bothered me the most about Sims 4 is that you can have a sim outside, say, fishing, and if you want another sim to visit a neighbor, after the loading screen, the fishing sim has gone into the nether where you can choose to have them taking care of needs or whatever.

Edit: Having said that, simulation lag, even with only one open lot, is an issue for many people, including people with high-end gaming machines. I'm not sure the engine can handle much more, which is a huge problem for a game in 2021. Given the state previous Sims games were left in when they moved on, I would not hold my breath waiting for an engine upgrade.