Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I don't want a Generations pack.

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
edited March 2022 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Hey guys,

So ever since the Sims 3 Generations came out people have been requesting a Generations pack for the Sims 4 as well. Now I have to admit I didn't like the idea of a generations pack in the Sims 3 and I don't like it in the Sims 4 either. The main reason is because I think generations belong in the base game. Same goes for the Parenthood game pack in my opinion.

So the first reason why I think the Generations and Parenthood should be base game content is because the Sims 4 was so empty at launch. The team cut out tons of content from the Sims 3 to not put it in the Sims 4 because they were worried it might cause issues but at the same time the team made absolutely no effort to compensate for the lack of these features ex. Open-world, lack of personality etc. by adding more stuff for family, generational play.
If you take the Sims 2 as an example, it was also a game that didn't have an open-world or several other game-changing features that came with the Sims 3. The team however was able to compensate for it by adding tons of personality and family gameplay. The sims 2 already has tons of content specific to certain lifestates which is kind of like Generations but in the base game.

My second reason is evolution. It is 2021 yet the Sims 4 feels like The Sims 2.5. The game is as limited as ever, has oudated graphics and pretty much always the same old expansion packs over and over again. It has all become so predictable and so same. It feels 10 years ago. The game needs to evolve so adding stuff from EPs into the base game and making an effort to come up with new fresh ideas for the DLC.

Finally, my most important reason why I think Generations and Parenthood should be part of the base game is because they feel like cut content from the base game. Those packs aren't really expanding the gameplay in a new direction, they are just adding stuff that could have been in the normal base game but wasn't. The Sims is a game about Sims' lives through several lifestages. That is exactly what the Generations pack adds! new stuff to do in the different life stages. How isn't that not the base game? You can be a teen in the game but if you want actual gameplay for a teen then pay up! Isn't the game itself about playing Sims through their different phases in life, why does there need to be a DLC for that. Just put it in the base game. Same goes for Parenthood. "You can have kids and be a parent in the base game but there are no parenting interactions, you need a pack for that..."

Sorry but at this point Generations and Parenthood feel like a rip-off to me. It kind of feels like the team thinks the (60$) base game should just consist of a CAS, BB and Sim models with 5 animations. C'mon guys, have you forgotten you actually need to put stuff in the base game as well and not put it all in your 59830732 DLCs?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited January 2021
    if sims 5 doesn't start with generations, weather, pets, and many other core game features inside the base game then they better keep it, although with the rumors of sims 5 being subscription or being online we'll be lucky if ts5 base game has half the things ts4 had at its launch..
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    100% agree that "core" sim life functions for all life states should have always been in the base game. But, like @maice said, TS4 doesn't have it and it's something that a ton of people have been asking for over and over. And since we all know that EA is not going to gift us with these gameplay functions by adding it to the base game in an update, a DLC is what we will have to buy if we want it (and that's if it ever manifests, that is, at this point in time going on 7 years, I'm losing home for any type of Generations).
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Do you mean because generations didn't come In the basegame you don't want them to make a pack for it at all? Or you want it but you're just expressing your disappointment that it didn't come with the basegame?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hey guys,

So ever since the Sims 3 Generations came out people have been requesting a Generations pack for the Sims 4 as well. Now I have to admit I didn't like the idea of a generations pack in the Sims 3 and I don't like it in the Sims 4 either. The main reason is because I think generations belong in the base game. Same goes for the Parenthood game pack in my opinion.

So the first reason why I think the Generations and Parenthood should be base game content is because the Sims 4 was so empty at launch. The team cut out tons of content from the Sims 3 to not put it in the Sims 4 because they were worried it might cause issues but at the same time the team made absolutely no effort to compensate for the lack of these features ex. Open-world, lack of personality etc. by adding more stuff for family, generational play.
    If you take the Sims 2 as an example, it was also a game that didn't have an open-world or several other game-changing features that came with the Sims 3. The team however was able to compensate for it by adding tons of personality and family gameplay. The sims 2 already has tons of content specific to certain lifestates which is kind of like Generations but in the base game.

My second reason is evolution. It is 2021 yet the Sims 4 feels like The Sims 2.5. The game is as limited as ever, has oudated graphics and pretty much always the same old expansion packs over and over again. It has all become so predictable and so same. It feels 10 years ago. The game needs to evolve so adding stuff from EPs into the base game and making an effort to come up with new fresh ideas for the DLC.

Finally, my most important reason why I think Generations and Parenthood should be part of the base game is because they feel like cut content from the base game. Those packs aren't really expanding the gameplay in a new direction, they are just adding stuff that could have been in the normal base game but wasn't. The Sims is a game about Sims' lives through several lifestages. That is exactly what the Generations pack adds! new stuff to do in the different life stages. How isn't that not the base game? You can be a teen in the game but if you want actual gameplay for a teen then pay up! Isn't the game itself about playing Sims through their different phases in life, why does there need to be a DLC for that. Just put it in the base game. Same goes for Parenthood. "You can have kids and be a parent in the base game but there are no parenting interactions, you need a pack for that..."

Sorry but at this point Generations and Parenthood feel like a rip-off to me. It kind of feels like the team thinks the (60$) base game should just consist of a CAS, BB and Sim models with 5 animations. C'mon guys, have you forgotten you actually need to put stuff in the base game as well and not put it all in your 59830732 DLCs?

Providing options in other packs is an EA/Maxis strategy and I do not see them letting that one go and some see this as paid supplemental packs I also believe some of the options in other packs could have been in the base but again that would conflict with their plans to get more money. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    I have to kindly disagree with @maice @Chicklet453681 I do believe that just accepting what the team does and saying a pack is better than nothing is exactly what caused this issue to begin with, which not having high enough standards when buying a 60$ game. Saying well I'm gonna pay 40$ dollars because there's nothing I can do about it is why the quality in this game keeps decreasing. The more you play along with their marketing strategies the more they are going to exploit you and the less you will be getting for your money.

@Babykittyjade Yes I am saying if it's not in the base game then it shouldn't exist. I will not buy a Generations pack because of that reason no matter if it's good or bad. EA doesn't want this game to become better and evolve unless the customers force them to do it. So yeah I'm not buying like I didn't buy any pack that didn't feel like it was worth it's money. I am a long time fan who bought this game on day one for 60$, I will have to control myself and not buy every bone Ea throws my way. It's consious consumerism.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    While i do get your reasoning, i'ld buy a generations pack right now.

I'ld buy it because i will stick to this game for a good amount of time to come and i want to play it with the best features posible.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Agree to be honest. This is how I feel about Seasons as well. I was thinking about video game prices as a whole the other day and it really is ridiculous how they charge players 40 dollars for weather and another 40 dollars for generations in a life simulator.

No other franchise would take such basic features out of a game and then sell them as "extras" for as much as the game costs again.
  • Options
    telmarina wrote: »

I'ld buy it because i will stick to this game for a good amount of time to come and i want to play it with the best features posible.

@telmarina For me that's just not conscious cosumerism. I would never support something that negatively impracts the future of the game but that's just me.
  • Options

@telmarina For me that's just not conscious cosumerism. I would never support something that negatively impracts the future of the game but that's just me.

I won't argue you... i'm just being honest... if i have invested in this game and i know i will stick with it for a long time i want the best for it. honestly i believe like me a lot of people will want their game improved. And i don't feel any guilt about it, as it is implied. This is a game that has always had addons via payable dlc. In all the iterations we could discuss some dlc's that could well be at base game... It's not like people don't know where they're going to.
  • Options

I won't argue you... i'm just being honest... if i have invested in this game and i know i will stick with it for a long time i want the best for it. honestly i believe like me a lot of people will want their game improved. And i don't feel any guilt about it, as it is implied. This is a game that has always had addons via payable dlc. In all the iterations we could discuss some dlc's that could well be at base game... It's not like people don't know where they're going to.

@telmarina Yeah, no it isn't supposed to make anyone feel guilty. If people know the consequences of their actions and the effects it will have on the game but are fine with it then they should go ahead but those people should never expect the game to get any better.
    I would probably enjoy more lifestate gameplay too and it would benefit me to buy the pack, yet I won't because I know it won't send the right message and it will continue ruining the game. If you want the game improved but you are buying everything that comes out, then you ain't going nowhere.
  • Options

@telmarina Yeah, no it isn't supposed to make anyone feel guilty. If people know the consequences of their actions and the effects it will have on the game but are fine with it then they should go ahead but those people should never expect the game to get any better.
    I would probably enjoy more lifestate gameplay too and it would benefit me to buy the pack, yet I won't because I know it won't send the right message and it will continue ruining the game. If you want the game improved but you are buying everything that comes out, then you ain't going nowhere.

Who said i'm buying everything that comes out? Nobody cause it ain't true :) i will, though, buy a generations pack if it comes out and if it's done in a way that would improve the game, regardless of it being a good base game feature or not...
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    And... i do think you're using the "you people that don't care about the game buy everything that comes out" card to make people feel guilty about them buying whatever they feel they want to spend their money on... it's pretty clear on your speech. And it's a bad thing. Advocate your position, don't try to manipulate other's...
  • Options
    adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    the concpet of "generations" is in the sims 4 and has been in sims 2 and 3 right from the start, its not like u cant make giant families in the sims 4, u can. the concept of the sims 3 generations is that it added more ways for simmers to capture moments and make family play even deeper in the sims 3 and thats why EVERYONE incudling me ofc lol likes it, it expanded even further on what everyone who plays sims long term play which is big families. now i will say i will say the sims 4 neeeeeeeeds more content for kids and teens that much is needed but i tbh would rather have 2 gamepacks which focus on teens and kids separately instead of one giant expansion pack cuz gamepacks usually have alot of gameplay in em for the price.
  • Options
    And... i do think you're using the "you people that don't care about the game buy everything that comes out" card to make people feel guilty about them buying whatever they feel they want to spend their money on... it's pretty clear on your speech. And it's a bad thing. Advocate your position, don't try to manipulate other's...

@telmarina No absolutely no guilt. Do it if you want. Nobody should feel guilty. I'm just stating the fact that if EA sees high sales and makes profit they will continue to do they things they do now. If they see low sales they might try to improve. That isn't manipulation, it's a fact, it's how a business works.
    So I'm just stating the fact for everyone to know and if you are fine with it then do as you please and buy what you please. No problem.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2021
    Well they gotta find a way to please both their players and their shareholders, unfortunately that ended up in them making packs that should have been basegame features or implemented way earlier in development. Their design decisions led them to this point.

If they will do a generations pack then I hope the pack will add to the basegame and other existing packs, something that expands the sims4 and doesn't just try to add sims3 features, because they will just be rabbit holes anyway unless they will add cars, high schools etc. which I hope they will...eventually but it also feels like you said like a never ending cycle of DLC.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

@telmarina No absolutely no guilt. Do it if you want. Nobody should feel guilty. I'm just stating the fact that if EA sees high sales and makes profit they will continue to do they things they do now. If they see low sales they might try to improve. That isn't manipulation, it's a fact, it's how a business works.
    So I'm just stating the fact for everyone to know and if you are fine with it then do as you please and buy what you please. No problem.

I believe that if EA/Maxis started getting low sales they would stop producing more packs and finish with the game. That is what I myself believe how large corporations work.
  • Options
    Simburian wrote: »

I believe that if EA/Maxis started getting low sales they would stop producing more packs and finish with the game. That is what I myself believe how large corporations work.

@Simburian They wouldn't stop producing the game because it is one of the highest selling franchises to have ever existed and the existence and excitement for Paralives would tell them that there is interest in a game just not in theirs.
    Right now EA doens't care about feedback or criticism. They see if the game sells or not and since it does they think their game is good enough so no effort needs to be put in to improve it.
  • Options
    Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    I do agree that this should be in the base game, and i do see the point about not buying the pack because then they'll realise this should be in basegame bla bla bla. But if they see this pack fail to sell they wont bother putting this stuff in basegame for next installments bc "no one wants it" and also I'm not waiting around for them to put it in the next instalment bc to me it just doesn't seem like something I think they'd do. And I've been waiting like 6 years for more family gameplay so I personally can't be bothered waiting another 3 or whenever sims 5 comes, just to have to wait another 8 years for the sims 6 to have family gameplay and then another 8 for the sims 7. Also even if this stuff was in basegame I feel like it being a pack allows them to expand on it more and will be less watered down.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    But generations wasn't even basegame in ts3? It was added DLC and no one complained then. Granted ts3 basegame was bigger but ts4 basegame has really improved a lot over the years and continues to improve.

I understand your view. But don't you think packs that focus on singular themes add much more meaningful content? Like almost everyone agrees that vampires and spellcasters (though they needed better spells) are more fleshed out and fun than previous versions. I played sims 3. I still have it on my pc now. And I believe even ts4 mermaids blow ts3 mermaids out of the water. The only thing ts3 mermaids has the advantage on is the underwater lot.

Ts4 even now has plenty of family play. I am an apocalyptic occult family player myself.
    What it's missing is all of the well thought out details the older games had but we all know they didn't even have time to implement that in ts4 because of the whole online thing.

But if they do make a highschool pack with generational style stuff imagine how fleshed out and better the teens would be. And then if they do one for kids. And I still believe babies are coming. And toddlers with tricycles 🤭🤭
    Yes it's more DLC but honestly if it's well done and adds more content and fleshed out gameplay I'm willing to pay for it.

I paid 10 dollars for the paranormal pack and I've been getting days of fun that will turn into months of fun or more.
    I also brought a pizza the other day for a whole 26 dollars (tasted horrible too) and that was gone in a day so....😆😆

But yea if you think a generations pack is a rip off don't waste the money. But I know tons of simmers would run to buy that one 😅😅😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    But generations wasn't even basegame in ts3? It was added DLC and no one complained then.

Oof, you definitely weren't around during TS3's forums. It was full of people ranting that it was a glorified stuff pack mainly because, in comparison to the other packs, had a very specific and, I guess you could say, a "safe" theme. In retrospect, after seeing the quality of The Sims 4's DLC, I'd buy it twice, lol.

Anyway, I think a generations pack could be very helpful to the game, and honestly, it could extend a little further than the themes that The Sims 3 touched upon. Combining TS3:Generations with TS2: FreeTime and a base/core game overhaul patch along with it could be an amazing addition for TS4.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @Babykittyjade All I am saying with my post is that The Sims is a life simulation game in which you play Sims' lives through their different life stages. The Generations and Parenthood packs basically give you features to play through your Sims' different life states. How is that not the same thing? How is it not the actual game itself?
    Shouldn't we expect EA to make a life simulation game with actual things that happen in life? Like parenting and going to prom and having a mid-life crisis and carrying a cane? These are not expanding the gameplay in a different direction, this is what should have been in the base game.
    And the arguement that if we get a Generations pack then they are gonna be more in-depth is exactly what is wrong with this game. They should be fleshed-out in the base game already. Have high standards for a 60$ pls my lord.

The pizza arguement is also an invalid one people seem to be falling for. The pizza you bought was made for you. The cook took time to make a meal just for you, this is why it is expensive. A video game isn't made just for you. A video game is simply a copy of a game that was programmed and coded only once. They only had to make the pack once and not individually for every person buying it like they do with pizza. So the price difference makes sense.
  • Options
    isitachimiisitachimi Posts: 87 Member
    Hey guys,

Yup I agree but still miss prom, throwing eggs, misbehaving teens, teaching them to drive, slumber parties, school functions plays etc or wild teens throwing parties, even stroller sizing with toddlers. They seemed more alive on sims 3 than here. Sims 4 is just better graphics, easier building but lacking in filling for content. If we could combine sims 3 strengths with strengths of sims 4 we would have it perfect. When I bought a sims 3 pack, I couldn't blow through it in 3 to 5 hours. 7 yrs they haven't improved on it so they never will. Crossing fingers "paralives" game will be more entertaining in the future.
  • Options
    isitachimi wrote: »

Yup I agree but still miss prom, throwing eggs, misbehaving teens, teaching them to drive, slumber parties, school functions plays etc or wild teens throwing parties, even stroller sizing with toddlers.

To me that should be base game content, lifetime crisis and canes for elders as well. These are lifestate features for human Sims. It what the base game should deliver.
    Even though I miss them and would love them in my game I still won't buy the pack because EA speaks with money and if they don't see it coming they might realize the fans want more. Buying is giving up and accepting less.
  • Options
    Conlon94Conlon94 Posts: 83 Member
    I had already brought up a variation of this in the Things that we would need Sims 4 discussion Thread however I view that it goes better here and I don't quite understand how to delete it from the other discussion Thread unless someone elses does it for me. It has been claimed before that EA wouldn't do a realistic gradual aging process to replace the life stages since they claim that such a thing is impossible for their personal/individual variance of the computer game programing. However I want to point out that I can't quite understand how that could be the case since with the following a sims 3 modder had designed this particular gradual aging mod. https://modthesims.info/d/517293/age.html plus Paradox Interactive have incorporated it into its newly released Crusader Kings 3 with the build your own ruler aspect of the game(even if it isn't totally perfect it is still better than Sims 2, 3, and 4 Sims avatar life stages). https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I9MnFAfEb5U

And their is the following aging wrinkling modding(https://maxismatchccworld.tumblr.com/post/185583784885/wrinkles-created-for-the-sims-4-by, and https://maxismatchccworld.tumblr.com/post/185583784885/wrinkles-created-for-the-sims-4-by) that the programming could be applied to have it gradually increasingly applied to the Sims characters avatars in adjacent to the gradual increasingly accumulation of Stretch/age marks, Age/liver spots and warts, greying and whitening hair before the age related thinning losing hair giving way to almost complete or complete age related baldness. Along with the gradual growth age related health issues and symptoms. It would be interesting to have the various choices of Assisted living at home care, Assisted living/retirement apartments, retirement/nursing homes, semi-assisted living homes, apartments, and mobile home communities and even the hospitals rooms that the elderly go to die from old age or even extreme old age or beyond extreme old age. Along with the specialized futuristic architecture design/technology/products specifically for the various categories of the Middle aged and elderly aged Sims characters avatars. And it would be Interesting to have various fashions for the middle aged and elderly aged that could either be traditional and doesn't show off the aged beauty assets of their body or a more modern or even futuristic less traditional fashions that usually for the teens and younger adults but is tweaked for the middle aged and elderly aged in order to allow them to show off their aged beauty assets of their body.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top