Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Buying packs and intentionally not using the main feature

Comments

• Options
    mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    edited December 2020
    Other
    sorry weird double post
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I like several packs without being interested in the main feature
    I've done this a few times, ECO EP, University (I've never been a huge fan of the University EPS though), several GPS.

Then again, I bought Sims 3 Into the Future purely for the glass floors, so this is nothing new for me.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited December 2020
    What's the point of owning a pack if you don't use the main feature?
    There isn't anything wrong with it, mind you, but I do question the point of buying anything when most of the content is something you would not use. SPs are $10 and mostly BB and CAS, so fine, but entire GPs and EPs? Especially if you do not like the content at all. (Thinking more of people hating occults but buying vampires here, for example. Not people like the EL people because that was bugged to Timbuktu and back, even if I did not experience a lot of it personally.)

I do not use everything all the time, but I did complete the Strangerville story once; I have brought several YAs through university; I have made many mermaids, vampires, and spell casters; I have definitely neglected Granite Falls since I have other stuff but I have ventured to the hermit and learned the herbalism recipe a few times; I have laundry items and Seasons stuff in all of my builds; I pretty much do not play with pets beyond the small pets anymore, but I certainly have; and so on.

If you have so little interest that you do not want to play the main feature even once, then I think you are seriously overpaying for it. Even on sale, because everyone else playing for gameplay got more out of it at the sale price. Granted, value us subjective. If you find it worth it, then it is all on you to choose what is worth your money and far be it from me or anyone else to try and tell you how to spend it, but... It would be $10, $20, $40 for pure cosmetics. It happens, but usually when I look into a game and see that I do not pick it up.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I've a few packs gotten solely for the CAS/BB, usually on sale. There are a few others that have wound up that way because the main feature either doesn't work well or I tried & didn't like it. When it comes to packs I have 3 basic rules: research thoroughly, determine if the CAS/BB is strong enough to justify the purchase if the main feature fails, wait for sales.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited December 2020
    Realm of magic and vampires I got for the worlds, bb and cas. Once tried realm of magic gameplay and found the magical world so glitchy and slow I can’t play it and it was very boring. Vampires I just have no interest in playing but I did buy it on sale. Inadvertently eco lifestyle has ended up being a pack I only use the cas (at a push I don’t like it) and bb items, same with moschino which I wanted for the photography but never use it but it’s bb items are used in pretty much all my builds and I use a lot of the cas too. On the flip side I got university for the world, cas and bb items and use the gameplay more then the cas and bb items.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    It wasn't intentional it's just that I lost interest in the main features of the Eco pack very quickly. I do like all the things that come with it and if it's for sale that's a good time to buy it. I wasn't thrilled with snowy escape but I bought it when it went on sale just for all the stuff. I bought the vampire pack and magic pack just for stuff too.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    It happened once or twice when I saw a pack without being interested the main feature
    I don't see any problem with purchasing a pack without being interested in the main feature. Every pack I own has added something fun to my game, but I don't use all the main features all the time and I will admit some interest me far more than others. If you really want something from a pack and can afford it, then I think it's worth it, at least on sale. You may even be pleasantly surprised and get more enjoyment from it than you expect.
  • Options
    smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    It happened once or twice when I saw a pack without being interested the main feature
    I think I would only buy Realm of Magic and Vampires for the build items. Some of them are beautiful.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I no sooner get a new pack, give the main feature a cursory workout and then set about using all of it in my other worlds, CAS, Building, Lots and all. I still don't think I've taken my Sims bowling yet at the Bowling alley provided. I've yet got to do serious climbing. They've got to be trained up to it.

After getting Eco Lifestyle, Nifty Knitting and Snowy Escape I am now sending my teenager to University living with the Mayberrys. Those new counters from Komorebi are so useful to store more kitchen and bathroom stuff in those little houses there and their son has been sent to the top floor old nursery.

There's nothing like mixing and matching.
  • Options
    candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Other
    I really think it is impossible to buy a pack for the main reason simply because it is hard to please everyone, not everyone likes the same thing. Sim 4 leaves much to be desired so I think you will find a lot of people buying it for many different reason. i bought the last one for the skying aspect that is only one feature I guess but to me there really wan't any other reason to buy it. Sometimes I buy it for content just to get clothes and objects. Most of the time I go to second party to get my stuff it is much better. Sims 4 is dead.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I own C&D and Dine Out but have never owned a vet or a restaurant.

I bought DU upon release but only recently sent a sim to university and just today dabbled in robotics.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Think the only pack I never used the main feature for at first and not much at all was the vintage glamour. Build/Buy was just great, but just didn't use the butler much at all. Probably since I don't have stupid rich sims. :p
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I have Vampires and only played as Vamps 3 times. I love the pack content though.
    Stars Wars ... I have never taken a Sim to Batuu. The stuff from build/buy is used a lot. The floors, plants and the toys. Also has nice looking trash can. I will go to Batuu one day when it fits into my storyline.
    Parenthood and Dine Out are disabled most of the time.
    Eco Lifestyle is turned off in options. I use the content all the time.
    I have only played with magic once but use the windows/doors a lot.
    I could go on but I don't feel the need. Everyone is different and makes different decisions based on different things. Just be true to yourself and make the final decision. I hope my input helps someone.

I mainly buy a pack for objects. I see my pattern. For me gameplay is a bonus and not always used. It's too much for one Sim. I have played or will play everything at least once. Will revisit some stuff if I want to. It's my game and my money.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I like the Cats and Dogs pack but couldn't care less about the main feature. I never play with pets as I don't like how they work and they're just a chore but I still get enough to make it worthwhile as I love the world that comes with it, the stuff and the vet career
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    Cats and Dogs - I bought it at 50 % of for the world and CAS rsp. B/B. A lot of my Sims live there after graduating from university but none of them owns a cat or dog.

Vintage Glamour - The clothing options and B/B are nice. I never ever used the butler.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I've bought a few packs that didn't really interest me just for the CAS items. I like to have lots of options when it comes to dressing my sims. The only one that didn't manage to tempt me with new CAS items was Star Wars.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I suppose I bought Strangerville with that intent. I played through the story once, which was kind of a waste of time, but I like the neighborhood fairly well, and I use the clothes all the time. So no regrets there. I'm still not sure whether I regret buying the Star Wars pack. On the one hand, I got in on sale, so for that small amount of money I guess I'll eventually probably use enough of the CAS and objects to make it worthwhile. But I got about half an hour into the storyline and was so bored that I stopped playing and never went back. I mean, to that storyline, and to the whole game for a few months. I thought at least I'd have the nostalgia factor, as I grew up on SW, but it's just not doing it for me.

I think with all the other packs I have used the features pretty extensively, at one point or another. For example, I didn't think I would be that into the fame system, and I do have it turned off for most of my sims, but every now and then I like to play one of the handful of actors that I made (and a couple of singers, although I'm mostly waiting on those to see if they ever do more with bands). I also sometimes like to make my writers and painters famous. I've never actually gotten around to owning a restaurant, although I always intended to, but I take my sims out to eat all the time.

I play rotationally, but not with a set schedule (and with aging turned off), so it really just depends on which household I want to jump into based on my mood.

As for Eco Living, I sometimes bother with the NAPS and sometimes don't, depending on whether there's anything that fits a given sim and their neighbors. It's not too hard to slot in a few of the innocuous ones and then forget about it, though. I actually really love the community centers, although I really, really wish they would add a cheat code to change the type, as I desperately want to put in a farmer's market on the island in Brindleton Bay. I already built one there, and put a lot of effort into designing that version of the building (which looks so cute!), before I realized you couldn't change over. And I've been too lazy to go back and recreate all those changes in the generic version. :D
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Other
    I scrolled through the items in JTB. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan by any means, but I was looking for some futuristic clothing, since I do have a game 'set' in the 23rd century. It was easier in Sims3 when we got the Future pack. But, sadly, I saw no clothes or objects that I wanted or liked, else I would have purchased it just for that. Nothing wrong with it at all. I also will refuse to purchase a pack that is or has things I don't want in my game.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    I bought City Living on a sale for CAS/BB and some of the mechanics (festivals) but never actually lived in an apartment. Maybe someday...
    I also haven't played the Strangerville story though I have a sim in MIlitary career and use the CAS/BB.
    And my use of pets is also limited - though this is mostly because we weren't given two extra household slots as in TS3. I play in legacy style, so if I have 2-3 generations in one house, there's often no space left for pets.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited January 2021
    I usually explore packs slowly and that's why I sometimes get into some features later than the others. For example I haven't tried NAPs or lifestyles yet, but I do want to try them, my one and only save just isn't ready for them yet and I don't know when it will be. So at the moment I kinda bought EL mainly for cas and build/buy and I think it's totally fine.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    edited January 2021
    Not quite sure I see this as an issue at all, I mean there's no way each of us will love ALL packs, so either we get them nevertheless, or we skip a couple as we please. Also, if we get a pack where the main feature does not appeal that much, it might grow on us r we might play differently in a couple more packs, finding ourselves really use a not-so-interesting feature a lot.

I got Vampire mainly for the BB but loved the main feature from the start. I got ECO Lifestyle for the BB and hobby/home business aspects, and have yet not tried to improve a hood through gameplay (and probably never will). I got Sulani for the world, and will probably never try to clean the beach or play mermaids, but use it for a vacation world. Ask me again in a year and main feature of one of these might be my all time favorite main feature :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I've gotten several packs like that more for the CAS/BB and other features than for every feature. I look through the content and make a decision whether to get something right away, whether to do a sale or generally wait. If I don't like one aspect of a pack but I like a lot of others, I'll still consider it and probably get it.

- Some of the features of EL did not interest me at all. I'm not interested in bugs, or a very dirty industrial world or in trash. I like that world, nearly all of the CAS/BB and enough other things about it. I have some interest in the eco concept and while they aren't perfect, I do use some of the NAPs so that different neighborhoods take on different characteristics.
    - I don't really play with supernaturals aside from one vampire. I still got ROM and Vampires. (I only got Vampires later, I wasn't someone who got it and then complained; I do use the Victorian content). I turned Glimmerbrook into an Irish rural village setting. Forgotten Hollow is still an eerie vampire vale.
    - I got MFPS in a sale. I don't use this one much, but I will as soon as I have some more nerdy kids in my game.
    - There are other examples including of popular themes for which I wasn't completely crazy about everything in the pack but I still was interesting. Nifty Knitting was the opposite. I wanted another hobby so I was interested in adding the knitting. Most of the CAS/BB from that pack did not interest me. I still got it and added some knitting sims. If more activities that I want are added, I'll still be interested.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    What do you mean? I play with all aspects of every pack I own.
    I have all of them, eps, sps and gps and probably use all of them in their own time.

I have disliked Sims' franchise pets since Sims 2 when the filthly little mutts would dig up my sims' flowerbeds. :s But, I kept buying them because of some of the CAS and build items. This time, I had one sim with a small dog who kept getting injured or sick and my sim kept taking her back to the vet. In my game, the vet clinic worked perfectly and I was very impressed.

I love sending my sims who are spellcasters to Batuu to get the light sabers, they make great contests between family members, lol. I even bought MFP just for the end table and coffee table and I use it all the time. I tried with getting a kid a pet hamster, and wth, the little bugger went on vacation? We don't play with hamsters anymore. :D

I love and use every pack at one time or other and love all of them. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    For me, there’s a few stuff packs I bought just for the BB/CAS and haven’t otherwise used there features yet.

I do recommend you buy Eco Living. The new activities and BB/CAS is really wonderful and versatile. There’s a setting in the game options to turn off NPC voting so you the player can completely control NAPs.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I felt exactly the same way about Eco Lifestyle. I recently got it at half off because I didn't want the gameplay, and if there were no toggles I probably would have skipped it, like I did with Parenthood. So first thing I did was toggle off the gameplay when I loaded the game.

Turns out, I really like the CAS a lot more than I thought I would. The hairs I especially love, and the outfits are more ragged than I saw in the livestream, but I was kind of bored with it so maybe I wasn't paying close attention, haha. Also, the world is perfect for my Apocalypse theme. Anyway, so far there's been no invasive gameplay so I'm happy with what I paid for. :)
    #Team Occult