Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why is it that People claim that The Sims 4 is dying down even when it is proven to be a success?

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    @OEII1001 what people thinks in regards of the game should not bother you, if you've ever been called disgusting i'm pretty sure it's not a personal remark but rather a generalization of the playerbase that blindly supports the game (perhaps you don't but some people just assumes). there's nothing we can do to control what people thinks. negativity is everywhere i just think some people seem to focus more on it when they come here because seeing the smallest complain about something they like makes them insecure.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I am slowly learning all the account names. I doubt the complainers are as many as 3 millions.
  • Options
    FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I don't think it's dying since there is new players coming in.

However they're losing the players they have had from TS1, TS2 and TS3
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited December 2020
    Sales wise it appears to be a success from what most of the community not on here but on other social media outlets say about the game is mainly negative. I don’t think the game is as bad as people say it is. This may be a controversial comment but specifically on this forum a lot of simmers make out sims 2 is everything and how you can’t play sims 4 without mods. I’ve had comments put to me about how i must buy and play sims 2 to prove a point sims 4 is bad and how I didn’t download mods correctly and some people I found were so rude about it. I’ve even had someone tell me to upgrade my laptop so I have higher specs as though I just have £1000 lying around to buy an average gaming laptop. It annoys me so much and I found those 3 specific things so insulting. I’m sorry but some of us quite like sims 4 and don’t feel the need to play past sims games or use mods to enjoy the game and can’t afford higher end laptops or pc’s. I do get so fed up of these I know best attitudes on this forum.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited December 2020
    netney52 wrote: »
    Sales wise it appears to be a success from what most of the community not on here but on other social media outlets say about the game is mainly negative. I don’t think the game is as bad as people say it is. This may be a controversial comment but specifically on this forum a lot of simmers make out sims 2 is everything and how you can’t play sims 4 without mods. I’ve had comments put to me about how i must buy and play sims 2 to prove a point sims 4 is bad and how I didn’t download mods correctly and some people I found were so rude about it. I’ve even had someone tell me to upgrade my laptop so I have higher specs as though I just have £1000 lying around to buy an average gaming laptop. It annoys me so much and I found those 3 specific things so insulting. I’m sorry but some of us quite like sims 4 and don’t feel the need to play past sims games or use mods to enjoy the game and can’t afford higher end laptops or pc’s. I do get so fed up of these I know best attitudes on this forum.

I personally couldn't play the Sims 4 without mods. It has to many horrible design choices that I can't stand, situation outfits, endless spawning of random townies and an emotion system that is the actual epitome of what I would consider to be a serious case of bipolar disorder, no offense meant to anybody. Their moods are all over the place and it's not normal.

I'm not exactly one to preach what others should do with their time, money or game. As long as people are having fun then it's all good with me. Personally I can and do enjoy the Sims 4 with mods. I've played all the previous iterations of the Sims games and I also used mods in those too although not to the extent that I do in the Sims 4. I never needed game play altering mods for the previous versions of the Sims games, mostly just tweaks for minor annoyances.

The older games aren't as perfect as others will have you believe, they all have their good and bad points although something that is significantly different in the previous iterations is the amount of game play we got in the base games and packs compared with what we get in the Sims 4. We're definitely getting a lot less for a higher price tag with the Sims 4 and I don't think anybody who has played the previous iterations can really argue against that.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    netney52 wrote: »

I personally couldn't play the Sims 4 without mods. It has to many horrible design choices that I can't stand, situation outfits, endless spawning of random townies and an emotion system that is the actual epitome of what I would consider to be a serious case of bipolar disorder, no offense meant to anybody. Their moods are all over the place and it's not normal.

I'm not exactly one to preach what others should do with their time, money or game. As long as people are having fun then it's all good with me. Personally I can and do enjoy the Sims 4 with mods. I've played all the previous iterations of the Sims games and I also used mods in those too although not to the extent that I do in the Sims 4. I never needed game play altering mods for the previous versions of the Sims games, mostly just tweaks for minor annoyances.

The older games aren't as perfect as others will have you believe, they all have their good and bad points although something that is significantly different in the previous iterations is the amount of game play we got in the base games and packs compared with what we get in the Sims 4. We're definitely getting a lot less for a higher price tag with the Sims 4 and I don't think anybody who has played the previous iterations can really argue against that.

Thank you I wish there were more simmers like you 🙂 I have no issue with others using mods or playing older versions of the games if that gives them enjoyment. Personally i enjoy sims 4 with no mods but that’s my preferred gameplay style. My bug bear is having other simmers push there views and preferences onto others in a rude way and tell others they are wrong if they don’t agree with them. I agree sims 4 isn’t great it has its faults but so did all the other versions like you say and I think a lot of people forget sims past sims games had their faults. I just wish people respect others opinions more.
  • Options
    OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited December 2020
    bella_goth wrote: »
    @OEII1001 what people thinks in regards of the game should not bother you, if you've ever been called disgusting i'm pretty sure it's not a personal remark but rather a generalization of the playerbase that blindly supports the game (perhaps you don't but some people just assumes). there's nothing we can do to control what people thinks. negativity is everywhere i just think some people seem to focus more on it when they come here because seeing the smallest complain about something they like makes them insecure.

I didn't say or imply that it bothered me. I'm pointing out patterns that I have noticed in reference to the topic at hand. Your insistence that those who like The Sims 4 are not "disgusting" as individuals, only "disgusting" as a whole, would seem to reinforce what I had stated that I observed. That you end with an attempt to frame the noting of this pattern as a product of personal failing -- being insecure specifically -- is an added bonus.

EDIT: And I don't think that the idea of "blind support" washes either. How do you "blindly support" a consumer product that you enjoy? The enjoyment or lack thereof of that product is entirely subjective. There are no facts when it comes to taste. What the notion of blind support does is place a qualifier on the legitimacy of a person's enjoyment of that product. It states that in order for a person's enjoyment to be legitimized, they must first acknowledge the primacy of the positions of those who do not enjoy it. Otherwise, the enjoyment and opinions of that person are summarily dismissed.

I think it would be best for everyone if we stopped doing things like that. It isn't fair, and it certainly poisons the well when it comes to discussion in these parts.
    Post edited by OEII1001 on
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited December 2020
    I think the audience is huge and it all depends on where you look. On various social media channels there are a lot of fans. I just think that a lot of people want different things from each other. I do think there are design issues and unrepaired bugs but not everyone complaining wants the same things.

I'd like to see the bugs fixed and I'd be interested in more of an upgrade. I'm really happy with the save that I have going, so while I want new content, I'm not in a hurry to move on from it. I have another save or two, but I mostly play in my main rotation where I have a bunch of characters that are multiple generations in. I have fun. I've had my main save going for years.

I'd like to see more fresh content and more optional gameplay stories or ways to do more with the households I play with. I think that this is happening and I was pretty happy with Snowy Escape, though I'd really like another pack or packs really focused on adding more activities or major potential optional gameplay. I think there is always going to be some complaining. I might complain about some of the things that others want or not be that interested.

I think that the developers are trying and I enjoy a lot of what I have in my game. Like EL was a weird theme to me, there were bugs and parts of it that I had no interest in (eating or cuddling bugs), or that aren't a big deal to me (like complexity with taking out the trash). The CAS/BB was great IMO and the world is interesting. It added a needed extra "average" world. I still enjoy it and even parts of it that I didn't care about, sometime add more for my sims to do. They take out the trash more just like they do laundry; neither were themes that I asked for but they add to the game. Knitting wasn't my first choice and the pastel color scheme wasn't that interesting to me, but I have a lot of knitting sims now.

Anyway, I don't want to switch to a new version in which I need to start over any time soon. I'm fine with having more open neighborhoods and I agree with the need for some improvements. I edit or cull most of my townies; I'd like to set the outfits and ability for unplayed sims to casually walk in certain worlds. I'm not wanting to buy weather or pets again any time soon. I think these were generally well done. Yeah, the pets are a little needy, but I kind of like that - when my households have pets, they are usually hands-on with them.

If they want to move to an upgrade and I can still play with my current saves, sure, I'd be interested.

I do think they should and will release Happy Haunts. With the backlash against JtB, I don't know what they will do next or have planned. I do know that I don't want some of the popular changes. As an example, while I want the game to be more adult and less childish, I don't want it all to be dark. I like having mostly happier households.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    OEII1001 wrote: »

I didn't say or imply that it bothered me. I'm pointing out patterns that I have noticed in reference to the topic at hand. Your insistence that those who like The Sims 4 are not "disgusting" as individuals, only "disgusting" as a whole, would seem to reinforce what I had stated that I observed. That you end with an attempt to frame the noting of this pattern as a product of personal failing -- being insecure specifically -- is an added bonus.

what insistence?
    & i said insecurities cuz i'm always being attacked by the same circlejrk of users that insult me if i'm not 100% adoring their worshipped game. you're the one invalidating comments or accusing people of fishing for likes just because they don't share your opinion.
  • Options
    OEII1001 wrote: »

what insistence?
    & i said insecurities cuz i'm always being attacked by the same circlejrk of users that insult me if i'm not 100% adoring their worshipped game. you're the one invalidating comments or accusing people of fishing for likes just because they don't share your opinion.

Insistence was perhaps the wrong word. It was more of a case that you were excusing the behavior by generalizing its direction. And I would never dream of invalidating your opinion, nor have I done so. The topic at hand is a question as to why there is an insistence about the death of a game or franchise despite all evidence to the contrary. I've offered what I've found from experience. While my experience is no doubt as wrong as my enjoyment of The Sims 4 is, it was exactly the sort of thing that we were prompted to offer here.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I mean it is "dying down" like every game. It is certainly not dead but it reached its peak during the Sims 4 Cats and Dogs and Seasons expansion packs, that really had crazy sales. Since then the online content about newer expansion packs is dying down in views. Every game reaches that point at some time, so did The Sims 2 and 3.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @OEII1001 the answer is simple, people gets bored of seeing the same thing over and over and there isn't any other alternatives to a life simulator out there other than sims 3 (sims 1&2 are debatable as they're hard to get). some people wants to play the game but at the same time the game is no longer enjoyable. ea as a big company knows that customers will always ask for new things cuz that's how it works, that's why they keep launching so many packs, the problem is that those packs are slowly taking out more and more content, which leaves a shallow product and gives people the fake necessity of wanting more content for the game thus paying way more for what it should've been way less.
    besides, people claims game's deaths on every community all the time, it's not exclusive of the sims.

in regards of your edit, blindly supporting the game means supporting any decision made for it, be it good or bad with no sense of criticism not letting boundaries about what ea can and can't do, while also arguing and insulting anyone that thinks the opposite of them. you don't have to acknowledge anyone's opinion to enjoy the game, you do you my man.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    People have been saying Sims 4 is dying for the past 3 years & somehow the game keeps getting revived. Personally, I think the game won't be finished until 2023 or 2025 at the very latest. The devs somehow hacked into the engines of Sims 4 & are now stating to fix things that should of been in the game back in 2014. Both my daughter & I are quite happy that the Sims 4 is just stating to feel like the best of Sims 3.
  • Options
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    People have been saying Sims 4 is dying for the past 3 years & somehow the game keeps getting revived. Personally, I think the game won't be finished until 2023 or 2025 at the very latest. The devs somehow hacked into the engines of Sims 4 & are now stating to fix things that should of been in the game back in 2014. Both my daughter & I are quite happy that the Sims 4 is just stating to feel like the best of Sims 3.

I'm not sure that it would go on for another three years, let alone five. It seems likely that The Sims 5 is in development, but I certainly won't complain about more Sims 4. It's become my favorite iteration, and it is my last go-around on The Sims merry-go-round. I'm tired of going back to the base game and waiting for the features that I want to be released piecemeal.

So, yay to more Sims 4.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited December 2020
    I don't think TS4 is dying, I think that people are just tired of it, taking breaks, going to other games or other iterations of the older Sims games. People are just ready for something new. They get excited for packs, but there are always bugs, bugs, tons of bugs that some never get fixed and also when they realize it's just a repeat of what is already in the game just with a different look or similar to what we have already, they get disappointed and discouraged and bored.

From what I can tell from different social media platforms, the people who are mostly satisfied and content with the game are builders, and CAS creators, and new players who've never played the older games. Because people who have played all (or most) of the older Sims games it's sometimes really hard for them to NOT compare gameplay and amount of pack content from previous games compared to current gameplay and pack content for TS4. Almost every single person will agree that TS4 has the superior CAS and Build mode, but what happens if you're a player and you don't like to build or create sims? You'll probably get bored much more quickly with gameplay.

I've also never understood the need to bash players for preferring TS4 over the other games or vice versus, if it brings you, the player, enjoyment that's all that matters. Everybody is here, on this forum, or on other social media platforms discussing The Sims because of one united reason .....Our LOVE of The Sims games! I find that Twitter, to me is really obnoxious and toxic and ridiculously bashing on TS4 out of all of the games. But, I also feel like a good portion of them are young, and they're sheep .... they follow the thoughts of the "leaders of the pack", they jump on the bandwagon of anything and agree with all of the negativity that others posted (even if they themselves don't feel that way). They have not matured enough to stand up for how they feel, it's much easier to go with the crowd's view. If those "leaders of the pack" only posted positive tweets, then you'd see a big difference in all of the negativity on Twitter. The one thing I've seen about twitter is, people deliberately "bait" others with controversial TS4 tweets, like their goal is to get people riled up. They say something negative about TS4, others join in, then you have a ton of people joining in and arguing. It gets the original tweeter, lots of likes and followers.

Reddit is a much better platform to me, people are helpful, about any of The Sims games, people comment positively about others players builds, sims, or gameplay pics. There's a little bit of TS4 bashing and comparison of it to the older iterations, but not nearly as much as on Twitter.

Now, am I personally disappointed in some aspects of how TS4 does things versus the older iterations? Absolutely! But, I'm not going to try to and convince other players to feel the way I do about the game. The way I feel is my own personal thoughts and preferences.

Over the years I've just learned to accept TS4 for what it is, it's a very different game from the TS1, TS2, and TS3. You definitely need to have an extremely active imagination and dream up stories in your head and then direct sims in that story line. But, for me personally, I actually get really bored "pretending" my sims are doing something or feeling something. I much preferred the older games when I could leave autonomy on and watch my sims live their lives according to their traits and be surprised by what they did or how they reacted on their own and only had to intervene for some things, like pushing certain sims towards each other if I wanted them to be in a relationship.

The other iterations definitely had more interactive objects and activities so that helped a lot for me not having to always be the storyteller but more of the observer.

I have absolutely no problem using mods and CC to "almost" get the type of game I want out of TS4 even though there are still things I miss from the other games. But for the most part, I can deal with not having those things.

THE one thing that irritates me to no end about TS4 and is the reason I often go back to the other games, is the inability to modify the worlds!

Yes, they gave us Newcrest, an empty world to build in, but .....

..... they also loaded it up with all of their hideous fake houses and buildings!

I absolutely can not stand those fake building shells breaking the vision I had for my world! Yes, I can build a matching style neighborhood with themed lots but once you start roaming the world, those fake buildings totally ruin that design!

I love Mid Century Modern style architecture and have wanted to create a "retro" neighborhood with a 60's vibe, but I can't!

Because my world looks like this: (the in-screen pic is a house I built, as you can see it does not fit in with the fake houses in that neighborhood, at all!)

bxMoqWs.png

So long story short .... I'm ready to see what Maxis has in store for us with the next iteration .... hopefully it will give players a little more freedom and creativity.

• Options

bxMoqWs.png

That's a good looking house. I do a lot of colonial and Victorian style builds, but the mid-century bungalow is not something I have ever really been able to get down. All of my attempts end up looking like baby's first Sims building. I also like what you've done with the terrain spray. Your grass doesn't grow right up to the building or pavement, just like real life. I always appreciate builders who take the time to do that; it makes the lot "pop" a bit more.

Nice job.

• Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    Where is the proof that the game is "A proven success"? I mean, when Sims 2 and 3 sold like hotcakes EA had no problem slapping sales numbers around and touting them as some of the best selling PC games ever. Sims 4.......Silence.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    How can a single player game die exactly?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Where is the proof that the game is "A proven success"? I mean, when Sims 2 and 3 sold like hotcakes EA had no problem slapping sales numbers around and touting them as some of the best selling PC games ever. Sims 4.......Silence.

https://simscommunity.info/2020/08/02/the-sims-4-was-among-the-top-10-best-selling-pc-games-in-june-2020/
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I think we only notice the 3 million vocal complainers.
    The remaining 17 million continues to play with their little Sims in utter peace and silence, happy out.
    This game ain’t dead yet.

Any time a "Sims 4 is garbage, it's dead, this pack sucks and nobody asked for this" conversation comes up I just laugh. People seem to think a Sims forum, Reddit, and Twitter is the entire fan-base and all it's sales. Like you said there's MILLIONS more players that don't say anything at all or even participate in internet forums.

Lyndsey said My First Pet Stuff was #4 for the most popular stuff packs a few years back. Number 4. You'd think based off what people say on the internet about that pack it would be dead last.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    There are also people who say fortnite is dead, and it happens to other games as well. I dont play that game but it still gets updates. Maybe a game is not as popular as it used to be but that doesnt equal dying, unless it was a big and constant decrease in players and buyers, imo. Point is some people are dramatic or just throw terms around XD
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sims 4 actually has the biggest player base yet for the franchise, so it is doing really well and even better since it got outside its comfort zone of playing safe and going the exclusive route instead:
    "Around the world, our multi-platform Sims community continues to grow, and
    our Sims 4 player base on PC and console is now the largest in franchise history."
    https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2021/q2/Q2-FY21-Prepared-Remarks-Final.pdf

People are just in denial with a lot of facts these days despite the numbers proving them wrong. Sims 4 is doing extremely well and thankfully to those that have provided constructive feedback like sparkfairy with toddlers who actually had the guts to reach out to the Gurus to get things done, the game has gotten better than from six years ago. Basically the franchise continues to grow and reach out to more Simmers and be inclusive towards them. Those who enjoy the game and provide constructive feedback will be the ones who will still be apart of the Sims community 10 years from now I think while others will probably move onto other games instead or maybe they'll stay with the Sims too because of brand loyalty. End of the day, numbers and finances prove how successful any game to EA and its investors regardless of any of our opinions.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Well OP, to sum it up, the malcontent vocal minority thinks it's the majority.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I don’t care how many people are buying this game. Numbers mean nothing to me when they’re continuing to build onto a broken core, that being the engine. While there are packs being released yes I will buy them if I’m interested (still haven’t bought Star Wars tho), but that doesn’t mean I’m not ready for a new iteration. The Sims 4 will not and should not last forever and that’s just a fact 🤷‍♀️
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,184 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

https://simscommunity.info/2020/08/02/the-sims-4-was-among-the-top-10-best-selling-pc-games-in-june-2020/

Oh nice, it was the 10th best selling game in June!......In June.....One Month. Out of all the years this game has been on sale. The same month where NOTHING came out except for The Last of Us. For all we know, Sims 4 could've sold 5000 copies that month. Maybe even less.