Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The grand sequel to: "The first one to page 100 wins!"

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Lyoufln wrote: »
    DeKay wrote: »
    Today's Q Q is:
    What is your favorite “grounding” activity (anything that involves using the hands/doesn’t involve “spacing out” or escapism - something like gardening, knitting, dancing, cooking)?

Drawing, right now, and also baking bread especially.

Random but y'all who bake here, do y'all like to bake bread more than cake or nah? XD Cuz my colleague the other day asked me to give some recipes for baking and I asked her if she meant cookies, bread or cake and she said cake but she's never baked before and I was like, "Bruh, if you've never baked before, you probably would not want to bake a cake cuz it's hard." Is it just me who thinks good cakes are hard and also tedious to make? :sweat_smile:

Anyways, I told her to make an apple crumble or a bread pudding. I think those are more delicious than just a simple plain cake. XD

I find baking bread is grounding. So is building a puzzle.

As for bread vs. cake difficulty...it depends. I’ve made some complicated cakes that took up a long time. The breads I’ve made are pretty basic, though I’d like to try more complicated recipes. The only difficult thing about bread that I’ve experienced so far is yeast proofing. It’s honestly not a big deal and I’m pretty good at getting the water/liquid at a good temperature, but if you’re not comfortable with doing that, cakes are easier.

Oh my God, yeah, yeast proofing is hard. Sometimes the yeast doesn't bloom and just dies and you have to throw away the whole thing.

Cakes are just more tedious to me, especially when you have to make the cream or frosting part. Cakes without layers or cream will be more boring to eat. 😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    xSongxxSongx Posts: 1,562 Member
    Today's Q Q is:
    What is your favorite “grounding” activity (anything that involves using the hands/doesn’t involve “spacing out” or escapism - something like gardening, knitting, dancing, cooking)?

Random but y'all who bake here, do y'all like to bake bread more than cake or nah? XD Cuz my colleague the other day asked me to give some recipes for baking and I asked her if she meant cookies, bread or cake and she said cake but she's never baked before and I was like, "Bruh, if you've never baked before, you probably would not want to bake a cake cuz it's hard." Is it just me who thinks good cakes are hard and also tedious to make? :sweat_smile:

Anyways, I told her to make an apple crumble or a bread pudding. I think those are more delicious than just a simple plain cake. XD

I don't think I've ever made bread, that's my dad's area. I agree that cookies are simpler than cake, but I don't think cake is really hard, it just has a lot of parts.

But as for an activity, I'd say dancing and baking.
    they/he
  • Options
    LyouflnLyoufln Posts: 10,861 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

As for bread vs. cake difficulty...it depends. I’ve made some complicated cakes that took up a long time. The breads I’ve made are pretty basic, though I’d like to try more complicated recipes. The only difficult thing about bread that I’ve experienced so far is yeast proofing. It’s honestly not a big deal and I’m pretty good at getting the water/liquid at a good temperature, but if you’re not comfortable with doing that, cakes are easier.

Oh my God, yeah, yeast proofing is hard. Sometimes the yeast doesn't bloom and just dies and you have to throw away the whole thing.

Cakes are just more tedious to me, especially when you have to make the cream or frosting part. Cakes without layers or cream will be more boring to eat. 😂

Right after responding here, I made bread actually. I seem to have gotten a perfect yeast proof!
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,936 Member
    I feel quite psychically incapable of a normal night sleep anymore. I should probably try and fix that, and soon
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    bellagorillabellagorilla Posts: 6,891 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

I found pottery/ceramics very grounding. Wheel thrown especially, because while working with your hands, your foot moves the pedal and it really requires the whole body to shift and move. And you can see the piece as you create it. It's really calming. I miss it 😢

As for bread, uhh I haven't made bread in a while and I haven't baked a cake from scratch in a while either (we've been doing box mixes lately) but I've always though bread was easier then people make it out to seem like.
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Today's Q Q is:

Right after responding here, I made bread actually. I seem to have gotten a perfect yeast proof!

Oh my God, gimme the pro tips. XD
    Today's Q Q is:

I found pottery/ceramics very grounding. Wheel thrown especially, because while working with your hands, your foot moves the pedal and it really requires the whole body to shift and move. And you can see the piece as you create it. It's really calming. I miss it 😢

As for bread, uhh I haven't made bread in a while and I haven't baked a cake from scratch in a while either (we've been doing box mixes lately) but I've always though bread was easier then people make it out to seem like.

Yeah, bread is much easier. It could be the kneading part that makes it seem hard. Like if you don't knead enough, it might be hard, or if the weather isn't right enough, the dough won't grow a lot, etc etc. It's a bit hard to control.

Cookies are the easiest but I always tend to easily burn my cookies more often than cakes and bread. XD
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options

You probably already know this, but yeast is alive. To grow/reproduce, they need food. If I’m proofing with water, I always add a pinch of sugar to the water before adding the yeast, even if the recipe doesn’t call for it. If I’m using milk for proofing, I don’t bother to add anything (unless the recipe calls for it) because milk has sugar.

You’re apparently supposed to use a thermometer to get water temperature right. Too hot, yeast dies, too cool, yeast is bratty and won’t get to work. I’m lazy though, so I just try to get the right temperature by ~feels~. I heat up the proofing liquid in a tiny pot (saucepan?) on the stove, lid off. As it warms up, I test the temperature by dabbling a droplet or two on the back of my forearm. Get it nice and warm, almost hot, but not burning. Then I pour it into my glass measuring pitcher and add the yeast. If the liquid seems just a tad too hot, just let it sit for a couple minutes!

To ensure a good dough rise, I cover the bowl/pans in a big towel and place them somewhere warm. I’ve heated up the oven for like 3 minutes, turned it off, and stuck the bowl/pans in there too if my kitchen was cold. Just make sure you’re using a non-plastic bowl if you put it near a heat source, and make sure the towel doesn’t touch oven coils!

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Today's Q Q is:
    What is something you’ve created this year that you’re proud of (a playlist, a piece of art, some writing, a craft hobby, a social media account, etc)?

Probably the drawing in my avi. ^^

You probably already know this, but yeast is alive. To grow/reproduce, they need food. If I’m proofing with water, I always add a pinch of sugar to the water before adding the yeast, even if the recipe doesn’t call for it. If I’m using milk for proofing, I don’t bother to add anything (unless the recipe calls for it) because milk has sugar.

You’re apparently supposed to use a thermometer to get water temperature right. Too hot, yeast dies, too cool, yeast is bratty and won’t get to work. I’m lazy though, so I just try to get the right temperature by ~feels~. I heat up the proofing liquid in a tiny pot (saucepan?) on the stove, lid off. As it warms up, I test the temperature by dabbling a droplet or two on the back of my forearm. Get it nice and warm, almost hot, but not burning. Then I pour it into my glass measuring pitcher and add the yeast. If the liquid seems just a tad too hot, just let it sit for a couple minutes!

To ensure a good dough rise, I cover the bowl/pans in a big towel and place them somewhere warm. I’ve heated up the oven for like 3 minutes, turned it off, and stuck the bowl/pans in there too if my kitchen was cold. Just make sure you’re using a non-plastic bowl if you put it near a heat source, and make sure the towel doesn’t touch oven coils!

Hope this helps!

Wow! That is commitment with putting it in a warm oven! :D That's cool about the milk thing too. It didn't occur to me that milk has sugar; I usually add sugar too when I am mixing with milk. 🤣 And I keep the milk to about 40 Deg C. There are some recipes where they add the yeast to the flour with sugar straightaway and that always scares me cuz the flour I use is quite expensive and I don't wanna waste it in case the yeast doesn't wanna do its thang. :D
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Today's Q Q is:
    What do you want for Christmas?

World peace. XD Seriously, nothing. But money would be nice and welcome. Probably gonna get none tho.

I'd love to travel (wish is a constant wish of mine), but that's not happening...honestly, I can't say I want anything :sweat_smile: I know I'm most likely not getting anything for Christmas (or my birthday, for that matter either) so it's not like it matters much.

Where would you want to travel first if you could?

Just about anywhere, really. I've never been out of the US, so I'd love to travel internationally, maybe even to visit friends I've made over the years.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    Today's Q Q is:

World peace. XD Seriously, nothing. But money would be nice and welcome. Probably gonna get none tho.

I'd love to travel (wish is a constant wish of mine), but that's not happening...honestly, I can't say I want anything :sweat_smile: I know I'm most likely not getting anything for Christmas (or my birthday, for that matter either) so it's not like it matters much.
    I can say one thing about traveling. Once you have traveled as much as I have and I have travelled a lot over the year. You get sick of travelling after awhile. But the funny thing about travelling is after you have stopped travelling for awhile, you get the urge to go travelling again.
    Onto today's question: What do I want for Christmas? The new PS5 or the new Xbox series X would be nice. Which I probably won't get considering how hard they would be to get at this time of the year. Walmart has already sold out both consoles and probably the same for the other stores that sell them too.

One summer in highschool, mom, my siblings and I, we traveled around to 12 states in one month before being called home for a family situation...I loved it and honestly I'd love to be able to spend more time traveling, if I could.

I suppose part of what's making me antsy for traveling is (aside from the fact that I've been locked inside since March...) that with finals upon me, if I had gone on-campus in August, I would be packing up my room now and getting ready to travel home...so I'm really feeling how much my year has been upset, by lack of travel for school, if nothing else.
    I can understand where you are coming from with this. Being stuck in one place for a long while will make someone antsy to travel. I haven't been traveling since the fall of 2008, and that was suppose to have been a 3 day trip to south Florida. I was down there visiting my Aunt at her house. I drove down there, and it took me 2 days to get there from my house. I had planned to leave on a Monday to come home, but had to leave early Sunday morning because hurricane Michael was predicted to slam into the Florida panhandle that Monday. Hurricane Michael was predicted to move right across my path home. So I had left on Sunday rather than Monday. This past summer, I had planned to visit with my brother in North Carolina and I had planned this trip before the Covid-19 pandemic had hit. And then this pandemic hit, and basically took care of that. So now I'm like you, antsy to travel somewhere.
  • Options
    I finally made eggnog and it tastes like Christmas. <3

I made eggnog brownies too. Don't mind the ugly pic. I forgot to shoot in raw and the lighting stinks. I think I need to find a better spot next time. :D

UeHKgzb.jpg
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    Today's Q Q is:
    What is something you’ve created this year that you’re proud of (a playlist, a piece of art, some writing, a craft hobby, a social media account, etc)?

Hope this helps!

Wow! That is commitment with putting it in a warm oven! :D That's cool about the milk thing too. It didn't occur to me that milk has sugar; I usually add sugar too when I am mixing with milk. 🤣 And I keep the milk to about 40 Deg C. There are some recipes where they add the yeast to the flour with sugar straightaway and that always scares me cuz the flour I use is quite expensive and I don't wanna waste it in case the yeast doesn't wanna do its thang. :D

A short story I wrote this year. Edited it by myself also. It was like 65 pages or something like that and only on 11 point Times New Roman font. Thinking back I can remember a few parts I would change, but I’d only every written one story before that and it was when I was like 10 and it’s very bad so I feel very accomplished about it.
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

I honestly don't know. I feel like I'd be fine just getting nothing honestly.
    Today's Q Q is:

If it doesn't involve escapism that's a hard one for me.
    Probably editing pictures, especially of my sims.
    Today's Q Q is:

Honestly a few things. A lot of writing (i started a new story a few months ago and I also worked on a short story that took me about a month), and my new Instagrams (even if it came at the cost of my old one 😣)
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options
    sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    Mouselline wrote: »
    Today's Q Q is:

Hope this helps!

A short story I wrote this year. Edited it by myself also. It was like 65 pages or something like that and only on 11 point Times New Roman font. Thinking back I can remember a few parts I would change, but I’d only every written one story before that and it was when I was like 10 and it’s very bad so I feel very accomplished about it.
    Someone once told me an author should only write for them self, and it was a well established author who had said it. Bottom line is, only change those parts of your story that you feel needs to be changed. :)
  • Options
    Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Honestly a few things. A lot of writing (i started a new story a few months ago and I also worked on a short story that took me about a month), and my new Instagrams (even if it came at the cost of my old one 😣)

What's your new instagram?
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Today's Q Q is:

I've crocheted some hats (well, snoods really) for myself and family members lately that I really like and enjoy. There's also been some sims houses that I'm built that have made me happy :3
    7dW3gu7.gif
    Most likely caught as scum and best theme-Google Translate, 4th annual Scummies win!
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,936 Member
    edited December 2020
    Hi. The Sorak cannot sleep
    How's everyone doing?

To answer your question DeKay since I'm unsure how to quote on mobile I made a mod I liked for a game mid 2020
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    Sorak4 wrote: »
    How's everyone doing?

To answer your question DeKay since I'm unsure how to quote on mobile I made a mod I liked for a game mid 2020

I just finished watching Freaky Friday. :3 And now I'm just taking random photos and stuff and editing them t practice my photo taking skills. XD Why can't I just be like most people who just take pics on their phones and just posts them? I'm the kinda person who would take a photo and then upload it to my comp and then spend like 30 mins editing it. LOL.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Today's Q Q is:

The cross stitch sampler I finished last spring.
  • Options
    MousellineMouselline Posts: 4,845 Member
    Sorak4 wrote: »
    How's everyone doing?

I’m doing ok. Just woke up. Our cabinets are being painted so it’s loud
  • Options
    I slept like a log last night. 😂
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Lyricist.trait (there's also empyreantz where i have my art, but i never get the chance to draw anymore so it's usually dead)
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options
    Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Today's Q Q is:

Lyricist.trait (there's also empyreantz where i have my art, but i never get the chance to draw anymore so it's usually dead)

Cool, I'll give you a follow.
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    I think my notifications are broken again :sweat_smile:
    7dW3gu7.gif
  • Options
    Ugh, today is film shooting day so I'm gonna be out the whole day. 😭
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    cheesetruckcheesetruck Posts: 2,518 Member
    Chicken nuggets are amazing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights