Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stairs need fixed!

There has been problems with sims not being able to walk up stairs ever since the patch. This is unacceptable bug to keep. Should of had a hotfix by now!!!

Comments

• Options
    TantalusTantalus Posts: 200 Member
    My sims can use stairs. But they will do it sometimes in really weird ways. Or taking an "off-road" path making em clipping with walls or whatever is the stair placed into lol. As right now, there are so many things they need to fix.. they keep piling up, but well, its the sims 4, i guess we will need to get used to it.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I just build things differently until it gets fixed because opens stairs and lofts with invisible fences don't work any more. James Turner showed one fix in his video yesterday. It's hard to explain. Stairs aren't broken. Invisible fences and stairs just don't work together any more.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited December 2020
    alan650111 wrote: »
    There has been problems with sims not being able to walk up stairs ever since the patch. This is unacceptable bug to keep. Should of had a hotfix by now!!!

Until there’s a fix check for fencing. I found that where the stairs connect to the floor above if fencing is placed around the opening it will exist at the top step of the stairs but be invisible. So the way to fix it is to move the staircase, this will make the fencing appear across the top. Then sledgehammer out the section where you want the stairs to connect to the next floor and replace your staircase. Until they fix this I recommend not auto placing fencing at the top of stairs but to use the drawing tool to put it only exactly where you want it.

The other issue I have noticed too is that the railing is yet again clipping through walls when stairs are placed against them. I wish we could place left and right side railing separately.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 437 Member
    The workarounds are such a pain. Until they fix the invisible fence method--and I'll be crushed if they don't--I've just placed temporary ladders and external fire escapes into my builds.
  • Options
    lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    I don't know if it's a bug or if they intentionally made it so you just don't need the fence at the top of the stairs to make a balcony anymore. It's a trick I use in a lot of my builds so I was frustrated at first but figured out how to fix it pretty quickly. All you need to do is remove the invisible fencing at the top of the stairs, then sledgehammer the flooring that appears over the open balcony. After that it should work normally I haven't had any problems with the stairs after using this method in any of the builds I've made...
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited December 2020
    It's a known bug, hopefully it'll be fixed soon. Here's the answers hq page so if you haven't already click the me too button on it

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/WORKAROUND-Open-staircase-cause-routing-failures/m-p/9717351#M160498
  • Options
    EnnaelEnnael Posts: 86 Member
    edited December 2020
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    I just build things differently until it gets fixed because opens stairs and lofts with invisible fences don't work any more. James Turner showed one fix in his video yesterday. It's hard to explain. Stairs aren't broken. Invisible fences and stairs just don't work together any more.

That is not true, it's not the invisible fence, that actually has nothing to do with it. The stairs work just fine with fence crossing the top (which is needed to make the area around the stairs a selectable room) as long as the floor is still there. Deleting the floor is what makes it not work.

Pets and children can still use the stairs while adults can't. That alone should tell you it has nothing to do with fencing, but actually with rooms, and adult Sims falsely thinking they're too tall for the space the stairs are in when the room has had the floor removed.

To work around it, just delete any part of the fencing (it doesn't have to be the invisible part), and then stretch it back to close the gap (or if you can't select the fence wall to stretch it, use the "Replace fences" option to fill in the gap). Doing it that way keeps the area as not an actual room (each wall is selected separately, rather than as a room). Or just don't have the area open, keep the floor intact.
    Post edited by Ennael on
    50617862938_30d24ee877_o.gif
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    In one of the houses in Mt Komorebi I've noticed that my sims constantly get caught on the "edge" of the stairs (it turns at an L shape as you go up and down them) I'm not sure if it's because it's a specific rebuild/redesign of the house (no CC or MOO was used in the making of the lot from what was said in the description). I'm at a loss at what to do, as it doesn't seem to effect them too much, only that they get stuck on a corner.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults