Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

In CAS, do you randomize to get the look you want?

Do you roll the dice until you find something close to what you're looking for? Or if not, what is your method of creating your Sims? There's no "wrong" way, I'm just curious as to how others do it.

I literally click on the first one that pops up because I know I'll be changing everything about them, from head to toe. But I also realize that might not be practical for someone who may not have much experience in CAS--for them it might be easier to find something close and then tweak it to their liking (I've done that too)

Comments

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I’m lazy so I usually take the first sim and set their body to what I want, then make them bald and naked. After that I randomize the face by unchecking most of the options until I get a face I like enough to edit.
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    I randomize until I find a sim that I think I can make good. There are some that are just too ugly for fixing. I have also randomized, tweaked, made a spouse for them in CAS, and make children with genetics in CAS, to see if I can get another good sim to play. If I find a good sim that looks really good in CAS I make different sims to do the genetics thing with the good looking sim so I can make sims to pair with other sims.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2020
    Randomize only cycles through presets, so it doesn’t actually give you the variety you expect. You end up with cookie cutter features. I either manipulate and fine tune their features by hand or use Zerbu’s preset mod to give me 100x as many options.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    other than the randomizer, i either choose a decent sim on the gallery to start editing it, or i pick a premade and change it the way i want, some premades tend to have unusual features and i use them as a template to make my own sims, if i get to make them myself from scratch they develop the same face syndrome
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited November 2020
    bella_goth wrote: »
    other than the randomizer, i either choose a decent sim on the gallery to start editing it, or i pick a premade and change it the way i want, some premades tend to have unusual features and i use them as a template to make my own sims, if i get to make them myself from scratch they develop the same face syndrome

That’s a good method. Sometimes I grab two sims at random from the Gallery, age them up to adults, and create a young adult child by combining their genetics. Then I go to work on the resulting sim.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2021
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    I do use randomizer but only as a basis. From that point I tent to change everything.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited November 2020
    Rarely, especially when I'm redoing an EA premade that ships with a world. But, when I'm doing my own Sims, I'll typically start with a Gallery SIm that has a similar facial structure/shape, as that's one of the hardest things for me to get right, and then change the facial features to match whoever I used as the basis.

Back when I didn't know one could set MCCC to make townies be drawn from my tray--I did it constantly.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited November 2020
    Randomization never helps me. Click on the area you want and choose a preset closest to what you want. Then go to edit mode to fine-tune the preset being used.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2020
    Only in the beginning to randomize a sim, after I have found a sim that I want to work on I tend to pick between presets from Zerbu's CAS preset mod and then edit them in detail until I get the look that I want.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    usually i roll until i get some face features that i like (or could work for sim im trying to create)

and then exclude looks from randomizer and roll for the hair and clothing and that stuff couple times in case it would give me easier starting point

then i just keep dragging and changing everything basically so it looks like nothing i started with

or i try to do the genetics mixing thing with sims i like from gallery or library or premades or whatever and have that as starting point

also i have unhealthy addiction to that making whole head smaller tool that instantly makes sims look nicer to me but then they look off next to premades cause its like barbie vs bratz difference :sweat_smile: need to stop doing that
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I use randomize for clothing but not for anything else.
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    Never. I'm way too picky when it comes to creating multiple outfits for my Sim.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I always randomise until I get a face I can work with. And eventually I always end up using the same handful of presets anyway.
    I never randomise clothing or body shape, and rarely use it for hair either. I generally have an idea of where I want to go with that.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Yes and no. If a Sim already looks kind of right and I know what I want, I start solidifying what I want. I dare say I randomize to get inspired, since it is more something I do when the current Sim does not look quite right but I am not sure how best to change it. I do not always have to randomize and sometimes I have to randomize a lot. Either way, I then nitpick everything to ground and back. At least on the ones I actually care about.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    If I have no idea what direction I want to go when making a sim I'll randomize them until I get a face that appeals to me and then I start playing with it and as I'm building the face it helps me figure out who they are as a sim.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    edited November 2020
    Most of my characters I've made are already based off existing ones (though they're not realistic humans, most of them are highly cartoonish, and they're my characters rather than pop ones). I basically take whatever face I have and tweak it until the features of that Sim match what my general appearance of my characters are supposed to look like. In the Sims 3, all of my characters in that game are based off those in the Sims 4. I think I enjoy making Sims based of other characters than I do making like "normal people" made for the Sims lol.

If there wasn't a character that was based off an existing one, 9 times out of 10, I exaggerated stuff I hate about some decorations in humans (such as fashion) to make the most grotesque person imaginable. I spam tattoos, piercings, high heels, and whatever other stuff I don't like onto a Sim and then give them entirely negative traits. I did this for...like two or three Sims I believe? idk why I like fine-tuning Sims to be composed of only everything I hate, I like trolling myself :p
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I randomise everything until I like what I see, except for skin details, accessories and makeup (because we can't).
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I never use random anything except maybe traits if I'm trying (lol) to play a challenge of some sort. I always just edit what I'm presented with until I find it pleasing. If I'm making a sim from scratch I usually have something in mind and just take whatever it presents me first and sculpt it until it resembles what I had in mind enough to pass. Sometimes I edit premades into totally different sims. For instance I got tired of Vlad so I transformed him into an elegant, pretty, vampire lady. The first time I did it, it was pretty time consuming, why is Vlad a young adult that looks like he is 100 years old and has some sort of genetic related facial issue going on. The only character I recall with a face shaped like Vlad is the old cartoon moon man Mcdonalds used to have:
    8e6d194da3bdc43b6da2d1dfaf72469d.jpg

But yeah, more on topic, I never use randomize because I either am trying to keep sim close to what they are or change them into something specific.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    Sometimes. But I change everything too, so randomizing doesn't really makes sense for me, I do it more out of habit.
    Simmingal wrote: »
    also i have unhealthy addiction to that making whole head smaller tool that instantly makes sims look nicer to me but then they look off next to premades cause its like barbie vs bratz difference :sweat_smile: need to stop doing that
    Haha same. I sometimes give my sim a slightly bigger head, when they are supposed to be of shorter proportions. But in general my sims' heads are tend to be small, yes.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I'll start by randomizing through to get a basic face structure. Then I'll go to each feature and pick through the presets to see which one flexes enough for the look I want and I adjust everything from there.

Sometimes I'll take my starting point from a preset head because those tend to have unique appearances, then I'll change a few of the features and use the push/pull to reshape it to what I want.

I always use the closeup face detail adjustments too to fine tune the features.
    #Team Occult