Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you sometimes just feel...rushed

So recently I had a big break from sims and I now I have a family of 5 (3 kids)

I just feel like maybe sometimes the day is just so rushed trying to maintain all of my sims needs and homework etc that I haven’t really got time for the ‘free time’ stuff if you get what I mean.

Does anyone else kind of get me or do I just suck at looking after my sims hahah

Comments

• Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Last time my household that I normally play had a dog, I ended up moving the dog into my Sim's girlfriend's household. Last time my Sim was married, he "accidentally" ended up with a kid. Toddlers are pretty intensive in dealing with. Children and teens aren't so bad, however.

Pretty much, I think that's why I play solo, with a single Sim in a household.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I prefer playing a one-sim household for that reason. I also greatly appreciate the feature of leaving sims at home while traveling, slightly suspended in time.

The few times I have bigger households (4 sims), I have at least one rabbithole career to make one sim go away for a large part of the time.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited November 2020
    I do think the more sims you have, the more hard it gets, I find with a family of 3 my sims have more free time too do other stuff, have you thought of creating an household with only 3 sims or less, when you want a break ? 😊, I play with multiple households
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    The max I have in my household is 2. I used to have more, but it was a real drag to take care of all of them
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I find days rushed with one sim already. I would love to be able to slow down the time but it doesn't work together with a simulation lag fix as far as I gathered so 😕
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I make good use of the pause button.

And I micromanage, but also try to set up my households in my rotational save the way I want them to be and act accordingly to; so I never choose the mean traits, since I have full autonomy on.
    The erratic trait I really like, but cannot use it to the extent I want, because of the autonomous mean social the sims use, even on their family members and friends.

My plan is to, with lot traits, sim traits, reward traits and my builds have a set up that will make sims not completely ruin my vision, the few times I let them go on with their lives without me directing them to Go Here and There.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I only play small families 1-2 is usually it anything above that I feel is challenge play for me.. so yeah I understand feeling rushed if you have to keep all your sims needs/aspirations/work/homework and skills going then also find time for play. Sometimes it's nice for a change though.
    My small households usually supplement by having friends over or even having roommates I can feel like there are more there but I'm not micromanaging them too.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    It helps a little if you do not play all your sims as overachievers or even responsible characters. A "D" is good enough to not get taken away by social services, after all.
    But, yes, I did feel rushed in the past and for this reason switched to aging off for my main save. Now I don't feel bad anymore for "wasting" precious time for things like a restaurant visit or a family bbq at the park.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    I can manage a lot of sims fine at the same time and have proper friends, jobs, hobbies and stories for them, BUT..
    I do kind of feel overwhelmed sometimes and not so much due to shortness of time, but I feel that there are things I want to discover or play with in the game, but I never seem to have time or courage for that and I keep playing it safe and steady instead of exploring new features or new ways to play with certain systems and such. I tend to want to much all at once though.

Like, I have this family of 5 + a cat. Two parents, one baby, one toddler and gramps. I want gramps to be able to do all the game has to offer to live his life as a grandparent to the fullest which means taking the kid to the park, walking around in the fresh air, maybe do some gardening in the public garden. Play card with other elders or even chess in the park.
    Meanwhile, I want the father of the family to give Archeology classes to his students which I made a club for, but that alone is a job on itself and pretty hard to put together and maintain... Besides that he already has a 9-5 job and wants to go to Selvadorada every now and then to explore the jungle further and take home artifacts he then wins money with. He also gets them by mail btw. He has a very busy life with two jobs that expand in different directions as well.
    THEN.. the mom is kind of lazy, so no job for her, however I want her to befriend other moms in their neighborhood, so she visits them a few times a week with some fresh baked goods and meets new neighbors (this is one of the the things I came up with for more expanded gameplay). I also want her to take her kids to the park, have meetings at the daycare with other mommies from her club and catch up or knit together. This is all beside the household/cleaning she has to run and yes I use the laundry pack as well :p
    The children all have a certain personality, so I need to make sure their behavior, lessons and skills are on point as well. The toddler is a goofy one with blonde curls and I want him to become an environmentalist and spend most of his years in Sulani at the shores.

I just don't want to play only general. I want to host parties, have calendar events, club meetings and social activities all blend in with their regular lives like jobs, friends, needs and house chores.

Sorry, didn't meant to write that much, got carried away :p
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    I play a 5 sim household with aging off so I have plenty of time to get stuff done. Some of the time I'll move some family members in with relatives in order to focus on a particular sim because managing 2 adults, a teen, a child, and a toddler, and a dog can get overwhelming at times.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It can be overwhelming. If only the game clock ticked a little slower without mods.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I don’t really have trouble finding free time to enjoy. One of the most time-consuming things in this game is using the cheapest shower or only having a bath tub for them. The cheapest shower is the slowest thing in the world. You don’t have to get the most expensive one; there’s a subway tile one that’s priced ok and it’s like twice as fast to shower in.

Sometimes when I’m managing a household of 5 or more, I get a few of them occupied with skill building so I can focus on the rest of them. But that can feel like a grind if that’s all they do, and I think it’s nicer when they can waste a bit of time together as a family just watching endless movies or sitting down to a dinner together even if they’re not all hungry at the same time.

I don’t know, I used to feel rushed when I played on normal lifespan but ever since I switched to long lifespan, I never feel rushed. Not every day needs to be productive.
  • Options
    ShachaaiShachaai Posts: 55 Member
    Things can feel a little rushed at ties, yeah. I had to install mods to stagger out school projects when I got Parenthood, because one of my households had 1 adult and 4 kids, and all the kids would arrive home from school on the same day with homework and a school project, and getting all the projects and homework completed as well as attending to everyone's needs before school the NEXT day was a nightmare.

There's a major flaw in Sims 4 where you can only micromanage whatever sims you have on the active lot, so if you want a large household to have an active social life, they'd best have staggered schedules or the whole family needs to be able to do everything on whatever lot you're playing on. I've taken kids along to the Starlight Accolades before just to make sure that they've done their homework...
  • Options
    @Shachaai - You don’t have to complete the school projects. I don’t bother with them unless I want to, and especially not if my student already has an A. I have some students that get to Uni with like 15 unfinished school projects in their inventories (they sell them for the extra cash, lol).
  • Options
    ShachaaiShachaai Posts: 55 Member
    @babajayne I got that after a while, but using a mod to stagger out the project days stopped me from getting hit with four notifications that the children had a project all at once! Plus, it was interesting to see all the different skill levels of the projects - the excellent quality ones make great room decorations for kids and teens, and selling the finished projects was super helpful when you've only got one adult sim bringing in the money and they're still low in their career. (Don't ask me who was buying a cardboard castle for 80 simoleons on the regular, because I don't know.)
  • Options
    @Shachaai Oh I see. It certainly would be overwhelming to try to do them all, so I was just making sure you knew that! I’m lucky if I have enough space indoors to even do them. I agree the different qualities are fun to see.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    All the time lol. I am a legacy/generational player so I tend to have decent size families. I have one now that’s just a single mom and her child and that’s the easy life for sure.
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    I turn aging on, because if I dont, no one one would get aged up(I like some sims too much :lol:). However, I do feel rushed sometimes. I feel like the moment they are a YA, I rush them into marriage, having a kid, and then repeating the whole cycle again (generation player). If feeling rushed, you could temporarily turn aging off... just remember to turn it back on 😅
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2020
    I can't stand feeling rushed because I love big families. I rarely have less than 8 sims. Aging off.
    I use mccomand mod to slow down the clock and slow sims needs. I balance it out so it's still a bit challenging but I have a good amount of fun/leisure time I'm satisfied with. Makes it way more fun. Otherwise it just turns into a choir of survival
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Anything over 2 sims = rushed. Once rug rats show up it's a horror show, so those saves tend to get shelved.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I use a couple of mods to help, like the one to make them eat faster, because taking an hour to eat eggs on toast isn't realistic even at my slow pace of eating. Small things like that really help a lot. Upgrade showers so they are completed quicker etc. Sometimes with pets I will use MCCC to freeze their needs because I just find the dog whining for a walk every hour to be unreasonable.
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I use MCCC to make the day longer (my setting is 60) and needs decay 50% slower with no relationship decay and aging off. After an update and I'm waiting for the mod to update I play a save I setup for no mods or cc and usually just build. I can't stand playing the game without MCCC. The needs go down too fast!
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Sim days are so short. To make the most of them, I'll sometimes have one sim travel so I can focus on that sim while the others fend for themselves at home. I've also used rabbit hole odd jobs from IL to have less Sims to deal with at a time.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    That's why I usually have one or two kids at most for the first generation (or two) in a save.
    Once you're deeper in the family tree - and especially if you have grandparents to help still in your household - then three kids aren't that hard to manage if you micromanage the game and cycle vacation days so that you have at least two adults at home.

In my main save, the household is at 7 sims - G9 pair (maxed careers working 3 days/week), G10 pair (heir working M-F, his wife unemployed stay-at-home mom), and their three kids (all toddlers now - twin girls and a younger boy). The G9 pairs has only one day when they both work and quite a surplus of vacation days, so I can make any of them stay home and help anytime (and I could pretty much just grab all their vacation days to stay until aging up to elders and then just have them retire). Though this may be affected by me playing on modded lifespan (roughly normal x2,5).
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I play a 5 sim household with aging off so I have plenty of time to get stuff done. Some of the time I'll move some family members in with relatives in order to focus on a particular sim because managing 2 adults, a teen, a child, and a toddler, and a dog can get overwhelming at times.

I agree ageing off is a players best friend :)