Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone addressed whether new winter activities will be usable outside of Mt. Komorebi?

SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
One of my burning questions since the announcement of Snowy Escape has been whether or not we will be able to ski/snowboard/sled outside of Mt. Komorebi if we have Seasons installed. Will there be debug objects that may allow for this? Can we sled down a hill if we use terrain tools on our home lot? I find this all unlikely, given the nature of the Sims 4, and no one seems to have made any comment on it up to this point. Nonetheless, I'm still looking for a solid answer. The same question also stands for the new hiking feature. Minus the interactive landmarks, will I be able to take a hike in Windenburg? While I am stoked for this pack, I am NOT stoked for more features that are locked entirely to a single world.

Any official info on these topics is much appreciated.
Post edited by SappySifaka on

Comments

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Good question. I honestly doubt it. Everything seems to be pretty restricted to one world. The animations for Skiing, sledding and snowboarding appear to only work on very specific locations in that world. It’s not just snow, but probably the routing of the terrain has to be made to work with those animations. It’s probably similar to swimming in other worlds. And I doubt the flat snow in other worlds will be formatted for any of the activities in this pack.
    I’d be happy to be proven wrong though!
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    It would be nice if sims could get the rock climbing skill from the rock climbing wall from the fitness sp.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    It would be nice if sims could get the rock climbing skill from the rock climbing wall from the fitness sp.

I think they will but I will definitely rage if they don't. Other than that I don't think the sports can be done outside the mountain. It seems like there are specific routing options design on those slopes.
  • Options
    SappySifakaSappySifaka Posts: 132 Member
    edited October 2020
    musteni wrote: »

I think they will but I will definitely rage if they don't. Other than that I don't think the sports can be done outside the mountain. It seems like there are specific routing options design on those slopes.

I actually saw that just within the last hour Sim Guru George confirmed on Twitter that the rock climbing wall from Fitness stuff will in fact increase the rock climbing skill.
  • Options
    Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member

I actually saw that just within the last hour Sim Guru George confirmed on Twitter that the rock climbing wall from Fitness stuff will in fact increase the rock climbing skill.

That's good to know. I have a sim that is really into fitness but lives in sunny Del Sol Valley. I was really hoping that practicing on the rock climbing machine at the gym would help him when he decides to climb to the summit in the new world.

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Doubt it, I’m pretty sure it’s tied to the mountain itself because it seemed like Graham clicked the ground while on the mountain and it had the special interactions in specific areas
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Of course you can do winter activities in all worlds! When Island Living came out, they didn't lock ocean swimming to just that one world, did they?

Oh wait...
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I have to say I was wondering if I could do a buy debug and put the slopes on a lot in another world.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

That's good to know. I have a sim that is really into fitness but lives in sunny Del Sol Valley. I was really hoping that practicing on the rock climbing machine at the gym would help him when he decides to climb to the summit in the new world.

I'd already retrofitted a few of my gyms with the climbing treadmill just because it's a good change of pace from the usual treadmill/weight machines/boxing (also have the Strangerville sparring dummies). Nice that they'll be even more useful now. (Maybe I should upload my version of the Harbor Quarter Gym in Windenburg to the Gallery...)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Of course they won't. It's the Sims 4!
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    verfensverfens Posts: 9 New Member
    I expect it to work exactly how swimming did in Island living. Most existing worlds just don't have the areas for it with it in mind (base game worlds don't have oceans esp, therefore it couldn't be considered a base game update- it'd actually be updating GT,C&D because the other worlds don't have a beach area to access the deep water without adding the new ladder to the fish area,) and to get it, they'd have to spend time messing about with it. Newer worlds are being built with this in mind, though, Brietchester has a swimmable lake, and Mt. Komorebi has a swimmable river. They might add hiking trails to new worlds, maybe they could give OR some polish by making the hiking paths functional in the Deep Woods area of Granite Falls? Skiing, Snowboarding, and rock climbing though? Locked to the map.

I do think its a bit unfair, though, this isn't exactly something that the sims team can win with. If they add it to other, new packs, they'd be accused of recycling content. I doubt that the slopes exists necessarily as a debug option that could be functional.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    It’s not as if you have to take a vacation to access these things, but you can. So it’s much like bowling in the sense that it would be unrealistic to do at home, but it’s easy to travel to the bowling alley when I want to. Yes, we can buy them at home but they’re massive and I only have one in the basement of my wealthiest family. Now they want to do some real skiing on a real mountain.

I didn’t use the half-pipe in Sims 3 because it just didn’t excite me like these trails do. I’d so much rather have this!
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    verfens wrote: »
    I expect it to work exactly how swimming did in Island living. Most existing worlds just don't have the areas for it with it in mind (base game worlds don't have oceans esp, therefore it couldn't be considered a base game update- it'd actually be updating GT,C&D because the other worlds don't have a beach area to access the deep water without adding the new ladder to the fish area,) and to get it, they'd have to spend time messing about with it. Newer worlds are being built with this in mind, though, Brietchester has a swimmable lake, and Mt. Komorebi has a swimmable river. They might add hiking trails to new worlds, maybe they could give OR some polish by making the hiking paths functional in the Deep Woods area of Granite Falls? Skiing, Snowboarding, and rock climbing though? Locked to the map.

I do think its a bit unfair, though, this isn't exactly something that the sims team can win with. If they add it to other, new packs, they'd be accused of recycling content. I doubt that the slopes exists necessarily as a debug option that could be functional.

There is swimmable ocean in the new world. So I have a question. Are there any sharks?

The reason I ask that is that Britechester has swimmable oceans where sims can encounter sharks in UBrite and Foxbury (they can be also pulled underwater and drowned in Foxbury). It seems like there is ocean danger levels in Britechester like in Sulani. There are safe waters (no shark encounters at all) in Ohan'ali Town and Gibbs Hill, middle waters (shark encounters happen, but no sims will be pulled underwater) in Lani St. Taz and University of Britechester, and dangerous waters (shark encounters happen and sims may get pulled underwater if they stick around too long) in Mua Pel'am and Foxbury Institute.
    Part of me hopes, that these water danger levels in Britechester are unintentional...
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

There is swimmable ocean in the new world. So I have a question. Are there any sharks?

The reason I ask that is that Britechester has swimmable oceans where sims can encounter sharks in UBrite and Foxbury (they can be also pulled underwater and drowned in Foxbury). It seems like there is ocean danger levels in Britechester like in Sulani. There are safe waters (no shark encounters at all) in Ohan'ali Town and Gibbs Hill, middle waters (shark encounters happen, but no sims will be pulled underwater) in Lani St. Taz and University of Britechester, and dangerous waters (shark encounters happen and sims may get pulled underwater if they stick around too long) in Mua Pel'am and Foxbury Institute.
    Part of me hopes, that these water danger levels in Britechester are unintentional...

It's not an ocean but a lake. I assume there are no sharks there.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »

It's not an ocean but a lake. I assume there are no sharks there.

Actually, in Mt. Komorebi it's a river, and certain breeds of shark can tolerate freshwater for a while...
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member

Yeah, I put one in the two story room in the Oasis Springs gym because I like to watch unplayed sims struggle with it.