Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If there is going to be an update for the Sims 3, could you also put CAW on Origin?

Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,993 Member
I just noticed this live stream from MaryMew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-knRNNUoHs

Since Internet Explorer no longer exists and I pretty much can't download Create A World from the official website without it, when you do update the Sims 3, could you put create a world on Origin so people can download it there. This is bound to lead to people having to update Create A World, but they won't be able to do that, if they are unable to download the new version. Please EA do this for us simmers!

Comments

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Well...Mary did say that "they wouldn't hear the end of her..." :D:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    Before all the partying and dancing in the streets begin, sorry to have to say this but there haven't been any official announcements of an update to TS3 for Windows. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong if anyone has a link to something I may have missed, but a YouTuber wishing it were so and confused EA people on Twitter probably not understanding the question they were responding to doesn't give us much to go on. It would be really odd for a team to have been working on this as they are with the Mac version without anyone knowing about it, and in the case of the Mac update most of us believe that they are working on changing out the game's wrapper to entice it run in a 64-bit only environment. Not on the game itself. But that still remains to be seen.

Internet Explorer is still a thing. It's still in every version of Windows and the game wouldn't work without it or at least no one would ever be able to log in. Microsoft just hid it a bit on Win 10, but it's there and its resources are still used by the Launcher and the game. I wouldn't exactly recommend using it as a browser for everyday purposes anymore, but MS has no plans to remove IE 11 entirely from Win 10.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    @igazor,
    I actually won't be partying in the streets if there is another update to the Sims 3 at this point, because I'm worried that CAW will require a new update and I won't be able to get it. That's the point of this thread. That's why I was suggesting to EA allow us to down Create A World via Origin, so we don't have to worry about things like Internet Explorer.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    I've definitely downloaded CAW without Internet Explorer, what happens on other browsers?
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I'm on Windows10. Will I be able to update whenever it happens?
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    I've definitely downloaded CAW without Internet Explorer, what happens on other browsers?

I just get a blank box. Nothing happens after that, unless you count me closing it.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Damienf519 wrote: »
    InfraGreen wrote: »

I just get a blank box. Nothing happens after that, unless you count me closing it.

I just tried it in Firefox and successfully downloaded. Clear the cache from your browser (https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-clear-your-cache-on-any-browser) or try in Incognito/Private mode (shift+ctrl+n for Chrome, shift+ctrl+p for Firefox) because it erases bad login sessions and some add-ons.

Sorry for the derailing, they're not gonna update TS3 but if they did, the bug of every NPC spawning with the same face would be an easy fix, it's a botched if/else statement that an intern could have fixed. Still so salty about it.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Thanks @InfraGreen I will try that!
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Damienf519 Pretty sure that blank box is supposed to be telling you you need to log into your account. I recently downloaded the 1.69 CAW and on first attempt encountered the blank box. When I went to close the browser, planning to go to a different one for another try, I noticed I wasn't showing up as logged into the old Sims 3 site on the top of the CAW download page. It's been my experience for quite a while that I show up signed in on some pages on that site but then not on others. So, I hit the login while on the CAW page, and it downloaded fine w/no boxes on the second try.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I didn't watch that clip, I don't bother with that kind of thing, but from reading the description it seems like they are just pushing / wishing for a 64bit update, not that there is actually going to BE one.
    I do wish people would stop doing things like that; I'm sure they do it just for views and such, and then people just buy into it.

Personally, I am quite happy for EA to keep their grubby fingers off TS3, even at the expense of a 64bit update. They would only ruin it, like everything else they touch.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    suzses wrote: »
    @Damienf519 Pretty sure that blank box is supposed to be telling you you need to log into your account. I recently downloaded the 1.69 CAW and on first attempt encountered the blank box. When I went to close the browser, planning to go to a different one for another try, I noticed I wasn't showing up as logged into the old Sims 3 site on the top of the CAW download page. It's been my experience for quite a while that I show up signed in on some pages on that site but then not on others. So, I hit the login while on the CAW page, and it downloaded fine w/no boxes on the second try.

YES! :) Anyone who tries to download CAW without being logged in will just be greeted with that empty little window.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Why do you need Internet Explorer to download create a world?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    @LoveMcQueen5683
    Because I was under the impression that that is why it wasn't letting me download it, because it only seemed to work when I used Internet Explorer
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Before all the partying and dancing in the streets begin, sorry to have to say this but there haven't been any official announcements of an update to TS3 for Windows. I wouldn't mind being proven wrong if anyone has a link to something I may have missed, but a YouTuber wishing it were so and confused EA people on Twitter probably not understanding the question they were responding to doesn't give us much to go on. It would be really odd for a team to have been working on this as they are with the Mac version without anyone knowing about it, and in the case of the Mac update most of us believe that they are working on changing out the game's wrapper to entice it run in a 64-bit only environment. Not on the game itself. But that still remains to be seen.

Internet Explorer is still a thing. It's still in every version of Windows and the game wouldn't work without it or at least no one would ever be able to log in. Microsoft just hid it a bit on Win 10, but it's there and its resources are still used by the Launcher and the game. I wouldn't exactly recommend using it as a browser for everyday purposes anymore, but MS has no plans to remove IE 11 entirely from Win 10.

Looks like they are getting a bit fed up!
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/the-sims-3-64-bit-amp-metal-release/m-p/9438228#M8154
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    Simburian wrote: »

The players (a few, certainly not all of them) have been fed up since the original announcement almost a year ago because they want it NOW! The EA/Maxis staff just ignore that and keep kindly and professionally providing updates.

But that's for the Mac version of the game. Again, there is no 64-bit update for TS3 for Windows (in my/our world) until someone from EA who is in a position to understand what that even means and is not from the Customer Service helpdesk potentially reading and messaging from the wrong script says so. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    I didn't watch that clip, I don't bother with that kind of thing, but from reading the description it seems like they are just pushing / wishing for a 64bit update, not that there is actually going to BE one.
    I do wish people would stop doing things like that; I'm sure they do it just for views and such, and then people just buy into it.

Personally, I am quite happy for EA to keep their grubby fingers off TS3, even at the expense of a 64bit update. They would only ruin it, like everything else they touch.

I agree completely with the bold part!
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.