Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Lifespan do you Play on?

I'm currently playing with a custom lifespan that's somewhere between long and epic. I want each sim to experience at least one season, and teens and up to experience a full year.

It feels a little long, but I'm unsure I want to shorten it up.

What's the consenus? How does everyone play?

Comments

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    I get attached to my sims...so I tend to drag things out as long as feasibly possible. So yeah. Modified Epic.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    I am currently playing a generational save. I gave the kids a few more days because the 7 on normal is not quite enough and I also gave elders a few extra days so all up my sims live a little over 100 days. I have played longer life spans and shorter life spans but I like this one best.
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    It depends on the save for me. For instance, I've got a legacy challenge save going, so I have kept the normal default age settings for that save. For all my other saves, it's a custom long setting with short baby and toddler times. Longer child through elder stages.
  • Options
    AprylaApryla Posts: 23 Member
    I definitely think normal is just too short, I do like that I can have days where my sims can go do whatever, and aren't as worried about progressing in career, etc.

I agree on the shorter baby and toddler times. Those are my least favorite life stages. :wink:
  • Options
    MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Apryla My sims spend a lot of time doing whatever they want and all complete their LTWs in a shorter lifespan. Do you use the Nraas Relativity Mod? I couldn't play without it because it gives my sims the time to do what they need and still have time for themselves. I don't set it as slow as some - around 68% of normal speed - but that works beautifully for me. It would drive me insane playing sim days on end waiting to get to the next generation!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Baby 2 • Toddler 5 • Child 7 • Teen 12 • Young Adult 22 • Adult 24 • Elder 14 (basically Normal) but with NRaas: Relativity speed set to 24.

Currently focusing on a challenge that's already taken me a few years :sweat_smile: ... Otherwise, I'd probably play w/ a custom long lifespan.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    AprylaApryla Posts: 23 Member
    Just installed the Relativity mod. I've only been running with the story progression, and overwatch and stuff. The bare minimum. XD

When I can tinker with it tomorrow I may do a little fine-tuning.
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Normal lifespan unmodified (I'm used to it!) or modified long-ish, the ratios are 3 days baby/7 days toddler/14 days child/14 days teen/45 days YA/45 days adult/35 days elder. I accept death in all her forms and won't stave it off forever. Just for a little while longer...
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    When I am on Sims 3 I use Epic, I hate when Sims die
  • Options
    CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Epic, but with babies and toddlers set to 2 days. And the slider for elders set to somewhere in the middle. In game I often use the Master Controller mod to set the days of my sims back to the beginning of their life stages and age them up manually when I think it's time.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited September 2020
    Apryla wrote: »
    Just installed the Relativity mod. I've only been running with the story progression, and overwatch and stuff. The bare minimum. XD

When I can tinker with it tomorrow I may do a little fine-tuning.

@Apryla, I set Relativity>Set Speed at 8 - that gives them plenty of time to get things done during the course of one day. Of course for some people, that may be wayyyy to much time. But I like to deliberate as far as making sure what tasks are necessary for my sims to complete during the course of the day and what other fun things they can do.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    I have maximum possible set for all ages except baby. Baby is set to 10 days. Then I age them up with a cake when I'm ready for them to age up. It gives me the best option of not having static townies, but stops my own sims in non played households to not age up before I get a chance to play them. And if they do age up then they are probably ready for it anyway.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I play on epic and adjust each stage to my liking. I don't let myself get too worried about time either, if a sim needs more time to complete what I have them doing I stop the aging process on them. Most of mine are immortals as I play supernaturals so they won't die either. :grin: My humans live very long lives as well. I've got one story that has been going on since 2017 and the main characters did age from teens to YA and started having their own kids. :smiley:
  • Options
    SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 816 Member
    I mostly play Epic, but individual life stages depends on whether I am playing a Story-based Save or a Legacy-based Save
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited September 2020
    I play different lifespan settings, depending on how I plan to play, and I have a different game folder for each of the different lifespan settings I use, because it's a huge pain in the neck to change the settings for each stage, especially in the epic lifespan. For those, I almost always end up setting them as close as I can get them, then edit the options.ini file. But all them are modified long or epic lifespans. I'm currently playing a modified epic lifespan, with the seasonal cycle set to 18 days, and using 18 sim days as the equivalent of 1 human year.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I set mine on long but I'm not very familiar with the game at the moment.
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    I changed mine yesterday, though I might change it again. I can't remember them all, but young adults-elders are all 28 days.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    charmed4life4charmed4life4 Posts: 178 Member
    I tend to play on the max life span for toddlers through adults. Babies and elders are left on long. I get too attached and struggle to let my sims go lol.
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    I play on the ... "Live as a Young Adult Forever, Bury All Your Children,
    and Do What You Can to Enjoy All Your Great-Great-Great Grandbabies"
    ... Lifespan!

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    Aging off! My sims don’t age up until I want them too. And they never die, they just move on to a retirement home eventually.
  • Options
    liizzys1302liizzys1302 Posts: 53 Member
    I play on normal with a few adjustments, baby on 2 days because you can't do anything with them, toddler on 5 just enough time to teach them their skills, children on 10, teens on 14, young adults and adults on about 28 and elders on about 25. This is probably because I like to play legacy's and I like to keep the generations moving.
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    Normal! I like my gameplay to go at a normal speed. I get bored if I make it longer/shorter :)