Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you guys do your base game builds?

I know in origin you can disable certain packs. How do you do it? Because having to do so every time seems tedious. Im not going to do base game only builds very often. But im just wondering.
Keeping it COOL, calm & collected <3

Anticipating Sims 5.... : P

Comments

• Options
    TaoronTaoron Posts: 2,031 Member
    Filter Items -> Base Game. Check that box and you're good. Remember that if you search for an item, it will clear that check mark, if any items in the search are not base game, so you have to go back and check it again.
  • Options
    username3645937username3645937 Posts: 130 Member
    Love the filter! The only issue ive had is sometimes the game will say you used 1 item from a random pack youre almost certain you didnt use. Then when you go to see what item was supposedly used it doesnt show the item..its blank! But i definitely think that is the best least annoying way to do it @Taoron :)

• Options
    If you save the lot to your library and then view it there and click on the pack that supposedly has an item on the lot, there should be a button to show you what item you used.
  • Options
    Taoron wrote: »
    If you save the lot to your library and then view it there and click on the pack that supposedly has an item on the lot, there should be a button to show you what item you used.

I know thats the feature i was talking about. It messes up sometimes :/@Taoron In my game , when i have tried to do BG , it will at times say i used something from get together for example but the item will be invisible or blank

• Options
    Ah. Well, that's a bummer. Do you use hidden and live edit objects? Maybe it's something in there, from a specific pack. I wish I had a solid answer for you.
  • Options
    Are you using any Mods?
  • Options
    Taoron wrote: »
    Ah. Well, that's a bummer. Do you use hidden and live edit objects? Maybe it's something in there, from a specific pack. I wish I had a solid answer for you.

It works sometimes! :) I mean, im sure most times. But i think it sometimes glitches

• Options
    chips46chips46 Posts: 3,666 Member
    This has happen to one of my builds when I change my mind to do a base game only, you'll find it will be the wall paper inside of the wall of the rooms and sometimes its the staircase, to find out is to go on a large lot and take apart the rooms place on the lot you may see there is the wall paper on the outside room wall that connects with other rooms in the build if you use shift to paint a room this is why it is hidden it wont show what you used but some do if you can find it
  • Options
    chips46 wrote: »
    This has happen to one of my builds when I change my mind to do a base game only, you'll find it will be the wall paper inside of the wall of the rooms and sometimes its the staircase, to find out is to go on a large lot and take apart the rooms place on the lot you may see there is the wall paper on the outside room wall that connects with other rooms in the build if you use shift to paint a room this is why it is hidden it wont show what you used but some do if you can find it

that makes sense. thanks :)

• Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    Here are simple instructions of how to disable packs in Origin:
    https://jamesturner.yt/disablepacks

I would not recommend saving save files with fewer packs than they previously was saved with.
    I believe the disabled packs are disabled until the command line is removed, so if you change between save files/save games/user folders, check there first.
  • Options
    chips46chips46 Posts: 3,666 Member
    I forgot to mention check your foundation on your rooms
  • Options
    Queen_ZelyndaQueen_Zelynda Posts: 16 Member
    I hope this isn't a necropost? Because it's exactly what I've been trying to figure out too. See, I also keep thinking I've built a house or made a Sim with only basegame content (for a challenge, so people on the gallery who don't have all the packs can use it, etc.) and when I go to save, it tells me I used such-and-such pack(s). And when I click to see which items, it shows: Nothing! I'm obviously not the only person having this problem, because I've seen it on other forums, reddits, etc. So hopefully the necro-ness of this will be balanced by the potential usefulness?

I recently learned that apparently, some packs add new _swatches_ to basegame items and, get this--they're not marked. In any way. Also in Create-a-Sim not only do the swatches-from-packs show up, but so do the traits and aspirations! There's no way to sort _those_ by only basegame. (Same with house traits.)

Unfortunately all the advice I've run into on how to temporarily disable packs goes back to the same Origin instructions from James Turner. Here's the thing: That works perfectly--_for packs from Origin_. But some of mine are from Steam!

Well, guess I better just enjoy the ACTUALLY basegame things I made in the past. 'Cos until they start marking individual swatches and disabling pack traits and aspirations, I'm probably _never_ making another basegame thing again. :(
  • Options
    @Queen_Zelynda I have TS4 on Origin not Steam; but for TS3 on Steam I just uncheck the DLC I do not want, in Properties>DLC when right clicking on the game in my Library. Perhaps that will work for you? I think Steam might uninstall the pack, but for me that has never been an issue. I always use a separate folder and save.
  • Options
    DeanXeLDeanXeL Posts: 289 Member
    I don't have any packs, just basegame, I am willing to help you figure out of there's an item not-basegame and possibly which :p
    If I download an item with packs, it removes or replaces the item. However, I do also know of an old gallery bug that adds packs to a build when they are not used... Not sure if that one is fixed by now.
  • Options
    lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    What I have trouble most with basegame builds is during playtesting. Sometimes my sims will cook something that isn't from the basegame or a toddler will set a toy down or a pet will poop and then it won't be basegame anymore. I just put a disclaimer in my description that any downloader is not to worry.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • Options
    @Auroraskies I haven't yet seen anything like that for TS4, but I have indeed seen it for 3. Sometimes on 3 I do want to cut out some of the packs I don't use much, but then I'm like, "I don't know what all I've used on my already-existing Sims and their houses..." I mean, if they suddenly lose a furniture or are walking down the road in basegame hair it's not the end of the world, but, y'know.

@DeanXeL Thanks! That's the thing, it could be that I accidentally used a non-basegame color on a basegame item, or the bug...or a mix of both! One of my characters lost her winter beanie after I found out that the white color I was using was from Get to Work (and none of the three ACTUAL basegame colors looked right with the outfit) but even after that it's still telling me I'm using Seasons, Pets, and City Living. So. Annoying.
    It's called the "Mode" family if you want to look them up, under my name here--Queen_Zelynda. There's a VERY not-basegame version of them that I keep thinking I've deleted, and then it pops back up in my "Featured" anyway. If you see one with a whole line of pack icons, that's the wrong one. : P (I first made them TRULY the way I wanted them to look with whatever I happened to have...then decided I wanted them useable on the gallery, hence the "basegame" version.)
    Oh, and the house is called "1237 Smolhouse Road". Again, supposed to be basegame, but the file keeps saying I've used Seasons and Pets. Oof. (Game. It's a 32-tile tiny home. Exactly what could I have missed?)

@lzbthnndgls Last but not least...I just don't playtest. : P I should, but then yeah, when you allow actual time to pass in a basegame house that's in a very non-basegame world, stuff from packs can show up in it. Most of my houses are pretty basic, though, and in formats that I already know work, so I figure it's okay not to playtest. (Famous last words.)
  • Options
    @Queen_Zelynda alright, I didn't get any message while placing it, which was superweird.... Anyway, the floor on the first floor disappeared (just concrete for me, I saw it was supposed to be a wood floor?) Also, can't be sure about this, but the light next to the door for me is blue, for you it looks green? And all windows on the ground floor are red on the inside, right?

If you want I can take some pictures or -if we really end up not finding whatever it is- I can just reupload it basegame (it will keep your tag anyway), you can download it (I will then remove it) and use it :) You will need to replace that floor either way though xD
  • Options
    @Queen_Zelynda I'm too afraid of wrecking my saves to load them with different packs, so I always keep track of which saves has which packs installed.

Too bad that DLC cannot be uninstalled for TS4 on Steam. When you have enough points, you could make a post in the Feedback section to tell the game production about it. Posting at AHQ, in the General Discussion and Feedback section would also be a suggestion; and of course on Steam forums.
  • Options
    @DeanXeL Oh. That floor. Is driving me CRAZY! I'm using the basegame wood floor that came in only three colors, in one of the colors it came in. White. "Limber Lumber Hardwoods" I think it's called. I've used that exact floor in many other houses without issue, before now. Yeah, the light near the door is green in my version and the windows are supposed to be red on the inside. Again, I thought those were basegame colors (especially on the windows). Did the _second_ floor mess up for you as well, or not? Because...I used the SAME FLOOR!

@Auroraskies It's not that I want to actually _uninstall_ my packs every time I want to make a basegame build. That would be the absolute, desperate, last-ditch resort. What I want, is one of the following:

--A way to TRULY show ONLY basegame content, _including swatches_, when you click an option somewhere. For both CAS and Build/Buy mode. For this option, non-basegame traits (both person and lot) and aspirations would be just not shown, or maybe greyed out, or something.

--Maybe we can't narrow it down that much, so how about marking? Little symbols on swatches, traits and aspirations that aren't basegame, so we don't constantly try (and fail) to hunt down what pack content we used but didn't mean to.

--Or, for the game to show you what it is you used when you click on an expansion pack symbol, instead of, if it was just a swatch of a normally-basegame item, showing nothing!

Basically I would like some way to truly know what I'm building or creating with _without_ ripping my game apart and having to put it back together, every. single. time. I can temporarily disable my _Origin_ packs, using that method James Turner shows us in his video. But the Steam ones? Notsomuch.

Sorry I seem so angry and ranty about this; it's just so frustrating when I have done LOTS of stuff that has the now-vaunted "This Gallery item does not use any pack specific content" message in the past, and now suddenly I can't, and...I have no idea why.
    (Of course, the fact that you were able to connect to the gallery at ALL and download _anything_ in the last few days seems like a miracle to me as well, but that's a whole other problem that I'm about to go see if other people are having.)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @Queen_Zelynda it's the upstairs that disappeared, it was in the other direction from down on the pic, so did you rotate the floor or use a different one? (i use first floor for upstairs, ground floor for down, sorry :)). I think it's mainly floor and lamp then? Windows were fine, some just looked green in the pic, i wanted to make sure ;)

Whenever I use filters to sort out colors of items, it always shows me all swatches I can use in a separate icon. However, once I click it, I can pick any of the swatches available to me (and hence, mess up the single color thing I was going for). Is it the same for packs? Like you can select packs, it shows you all swatches of every item, but when you run through them, you can end up picking one that's only available in a different pack?
  • Options
    That's exactly it. There's an old post (Reddit, maybe?) that I can't find now, where they demonstrate this. It shows the basegame beanie.
    "With 'Get to Work' installed": Whole bunch of colors
    "Without 'Get to Work' installed": Three colors.

But that's the thing, the game won't TELL you that those swatches aren't basegame! The only way to see that is to _actually uninstall a pack_, and I don't know about other people but I don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall a whole lot of stuff every single time I want to make a basegame gallery item, which is pretty often. I shouldn't have to actually _remove_ it for "show me only basegame stuff" to, like..._actually show me only basegame stuff_. Silly me, I thought a plain white hat would be, y'know, basic...
    So yeah, what you said is literally what's happening, at least part of the time: "when you run through them, you can end up picking one that's only available in a (different) pack?" Yep.

Just put a mark on the non-basegame swatches. Or gray them out. Or make them not show up at all when you click a "Basegame only" option. I don't care, whatever option's easiest. As long as we can _tell_.

I don't know how to rotate the floor? and I used the same floor on both...floors. I used the same floor _covering_ on both stories, let's put it that way to avoid confusion. : P I'm pretty dang sure the plain white Limber Lumber floor is basegame. I've used it many times before, since it's so simple and goes with so much stuff, and didn't have any "You used an expansion pack" problems. I mean, it's only showing THREE colors. And I'm pretty sure I've built with that exact floor before I even HAD any packs (since I like wood and I like easy-to-see-things-against neutrals), so...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @Queen_Zelynda Oh, I understand what you want, and I still think you need to alert the game production to it. I think the argument of making houses for the players that only want base game is a good one, and one that might take, hence why I recommended to post in different places, making a fuss about it.
    The moderators of the forums (this one and AHQ) have a horn in their side towards surfacing old threads, so that is why I suggested making a new thread, properly named, once you are a 'member', and can do so. I gave you an 'awesome', to help you in that direction.

In any case, I think more information on the game, and why it behaves in certain ways, is something we all would like to have.
  • Options
    @Queen_Zelynda you can rotate a floor like you rotate furniture, using the same buttons. If you didn't, I'm sorry to say, your ground floor covering and first floor covering are not the same :o and since the first floor disappeared on me, I'm guessing it wasn't basegame ;)

What I meant with the swatches was that for me they all appear separate when I use a filter, like, i would have 4 icons of a couch, each one in a different color. (If I click them, i still get ALL of the available swatches like you would normally) but as long as you just click and place (don't edit swatches) from the filter menu, it works with colors, not sure if for pack filters it also shows different icons for all swatches from that pack
  • Options
    @Auroraskies Yeah...in fact, that's kinda what I first wanted to post here about. But can't make new threads as a newbie, so...! I saw that this one was about basegame builds, which is why I came here. I know it was kinda a necropost, but it was the closest I could get.
    Thanks for the "awesome", though. :)

@DeanXel Okay...I went in and checked another build of mine that DOES say it's basegame, and you know what? It uses. The exact. Same. Floor. Limber Lumber Traditional Hardwoods, in white. (It's called (some number I can't remember now) Tinyhouse Road or something like that. I have in fact used this floor in regular-sized houses as well, it's just that that's the first one using it that I happened to see in my library. : P)
    So I'm starting to come to the conclusion that Smolhouse is just...cursed (aka glitched), somehow, and I should rebuild it from scratch. Not that that'll take long...(Deleting the old one off the gallery and putting up a new version that IS working as intended, THAT might be the problem, however, since I haven't been able to connect to the gallery even ONCE since a few days ago.)

As for the swatches...I've heard that in some cases a symbol will appear above a swatch that is from a pack, and other times it doesn't? Like, I haven't had that happen yet, but I've seen screenshots where a certain color of a basegame toilet had the "Island Living" symbol on it. For me...I've never seen that. Same for basegame items in non basegame colors in Create-A-Sim.
  • Options
    @Queen_zelynda I don't think you are hearing what i am saying :D
    02.jpg
    Here, you used the Limber Lumber Traditional Hardwoods, I can see these. The boards are running up through the room.

03.jpg
    The next floor however, the floor is in a different direction, hence (since you don't turn it yourself), a different flooring. Like Kwality Wide Plank Flooring would do this (basegame). This is the floor that disappears.