Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More realism for careers, interviews and unforeseen circumstances

AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
edited August 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Instead of Sims just choosing what career to join; I’d like to have ‘entry requirements’ for some jobs as well as tasks which need completing for work with a strict deadline, rabbit hole interviews, sudden job demotions & losses due to company cuts etc. Maybe pay & hours changes more realism such as a boss asking you to stay later, asking you to work a random day off cause to catch up with work etc
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited August 2020
    Yessss! Amen! I’d love more job prerequisites or requirements; it’s silly how a Sim can be a part-time baby-sitter or a doctor just with a button click.

One of my typical complaints is how every opportunity is open to every Sim. For me, it would be cool if there were some jobs that were harder to even get based on traits, etc. Some jobs shouldn’t even be open unless you have a Uni degree.

I like the feature in Uni how an alumnus family member can call the school to try and pull strings for another Sim. It’d be cool if they added this to jobs, too—more barriers to entry yet also more opportunities based on a variety of traits, circumstances, etc. Off the top of my head example, like growing up in the San Myshuno Fashion District can give you a leg up in the Stylist career.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I agree. I wish that it could come in a patch. I think it's possible cause a modder did part of it. I use a mod that makes jobs require a degree from a certain level. Doctor carrer, for example, asks for a degree right in the second level.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    I agree. I wish that it could come in a patch. I think it's possible cause a modder did part of it. I use a mod that makes jobs require a degree from a certain level. Doctor carrer, for example, asks for a degree right in the second level.

The mod from Zero? I have it too. I am a backer on Patreon because of how much things like that matter to me.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I agree. I also think there should be some sort of pop up or option where if a Sim is about to get a promotion they can either accept or decline it.
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Not against it, but this must be enable/disable. Some would find the system daunting.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    Other than the select few jobs introduced in GTW, I've always had the impression that jobs are considered a means to an end. Simoleons. Necessary to provide a realistic simulation of life, but not supposed to be involved gameplay. The most in depth has been the option to select how hard your Sim is working that day and as for unforeseen circumstances - those amusing chance cards of TS2 that I haven't seen in TS4...

Regarding your suggestion however, I would be supportive of some careers requiring entry level criteria, if wages were increased to reflect the extra effort. I'd also support unforeseen circumstances in a similar fashion to the TS2 chance cards - skill gain / lose, promotion / demotion etc.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes please to all of this. Give me a reason to send my sims to university!
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Yes this is needed! Why should our Sims get an easy time when it comes to jobs and the rest of us have to struggle! lol
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I still would have loved that with university, your sim couldnt progress in certain careers unless they had a degree in that field. For example, you want your sim to be a doctor. Did they get a degree in medicine? No? Well then they are stuck at the 5th career stage until they get a degree. No high amounts of logic will change a thing. Get that degree.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    That sounds insanely daunting and stressful. I wouldn't want that in my game that I play to get away from that stuff.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    no i clearly do not went to see such a feature in the sims4 unless they include toggles to turn said feature off in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    As someone who likes realism, yes. But, as someone who sometimes finds certain features buggy or just plain annoying, there needs to be a toggle.

I think at the very least, there should be a system to where that to apply for a job, your Sim should have certain skill levels before, and even then, it's not guaranteed they'd get the job. And, with University, there should be the fact some careers require degrees. Even with University's own careers, no degree is required.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    I agree with everything said in favour of making the job requirements more fitting the sim's traits and degree. Very good idea.

There should be toggles for a lot of features in TS4, I think that too. The system of selling packs with different appeal to different parts of the large and heterogenic group of customers, I think results in many simmers buying all DLC, despite not wanting all the features in every pack, or just a couple of them.

I for instance would like a toggle for vampires; but I won't buy that pack until it is added, if it ever is.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I agree. I also think there should be some sort of pop up or option where if a Sim is about to get a promotion they can either accept or decline it.

Yes!

This would solve so many problems for me. I used to demote my sims a lot because I do not want all of them to keep on lvl:ing up. Maybe I just want a sim to stay as a reporter, because that is who she is, and then you get a promotion and you change your job. Sure you can demote them but then they become sad and walk about sad all the time.

I have a great mod that lets me stop a sim from skilling up. I can have a sim that is a bad singer who enjoys singing and goes to the karaoke bar every weekend. You cannot do that without mods, you will just keep on getting better. Same with jobs, you cannot stay where you are for story-reasons. You have to keep on getting better.

I would personally have so much more fun if I could “stop” my sims at times.

Just a simple: “No, you will not get promoted. You are a low-lvl grunt in the military and that is how it is bud.“
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

Yes!

This would solve so many problems for me. I used to demote my sims a lot because I do not want all of them to keep on lvl:ing up. Maybe I just want a sim to stay as a reporter, because that is who she is, and then you get a promotion and you change your job. Sure you can demote them but then they become sad and walk about sad all the time.

I have a great mod that lets me stop a sim from skilling up. I can have a sim that is a bad singer who enjoys singing and goes to the karaoke bar every weekend. You cannot do that without mods, you will just keep on getting better. Same with jobs, you cannot stay where you are for story-reasons. You have to keep on getting better.

I would personally have so much more fun if I could “stop” my sims at times.

Just a simple: “No, you will not get promoted. You are a low-lvl grunt in the military and that is how it is bud.“

Yes exactly! There are SO many careers in the game if you can appreciate that the end game of each thematic career is not the most important thing.
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited September 2020
    Instead of Sims just choosing what career to join; I’d like to have ‘entry requirements’ for some jobs as well as tasks which need completing for work with a strict deadline, rabbit hole interviews, sudden job demotions & losses due to company cuts etc. Maybe pay & hours changes more realism such as a boss asking you to stay later, asking you to work a random day off cause to catch up with work etc

That's a cool idea as long as it's not too tedious. Some of the careers already make your sim's wait too long as it is.

Also, if they do that, then don't forget to add the option of a Sim getting their job via boss connections, associations, or influence, too. Because let's face it, in real life most people with jobs (especially good ones along with promotions) got them based on who they knew, not what they knew. or at least not ENTIRELY based on job requirements :) .
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I have a mod like this for Sims 3 that's brilliant. I get quite nerdy for this kind of thing, so I'm all for that! I do think making it optional would have to be a must though. This level of detail definitely wouldn't suit everyone! <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png