Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims be aimed at an older audience?

Comments

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,400 Member
    edited August 2020
    Rouensims wrote: »
    I like TS4 just the way it is. I’m tired of all the sex and violence in books, movies, and TV shows. If I ever decide I want all that in my game, there are plenty of mods out there,

No one seems to be asking for sex and violence, just a more grown-up gameplay that is not quite as mature as the one offered by the CC mods. Like this interaction should be available not just with the woohoo bush.

• Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,469 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I like TS4 just the way it is. I’m tired of all the sex and violence in books, movies, and TV shows. If I ever decide I want all that in my game, there are plenty of mods out there,

No one seems to be asking for sex and violence, just a more grown-up gameplay that is not quite as mature as the one offered by the CC mods. Like this interaction should be available not just with the woohoo bush.
    That butt slap pre-woohoo interaction is also available for the walk-in closet.

I use it a lot.
    That's where mods come into play--with the right ones, you can transform the game to a whole new level
    I use them a lot.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,400 Member

That butt slap pre-woohoo interaction is also available for the walk-in closet.

I use it a lot.

Yes, but it should be available in the romance interactions like the goose interaction used to be.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,984 Member
    edited August 2020
    For me, it seems as though The Sims 4 is very watered down and childish compared to previous iterations. A lot of the humour and quirks from previous games has been removed and it seems EA are primarily targeting children with TS4. Ive seen countless polls and even data from EA themselves suggesting the ‘real’ average age of the Sims audience is around 30 years old. So why does TS4 seem so childish? I’m not expecting an 18+ rated version, but I think as a ‘Teen’ game, There should be subtle hints and gameplay such as bachelor / bachelorette parties, hiring entertainment and some detailed storylines such as affairs, trauma, rivalry etc.

Given how long Sims generations now last; EA should aim Sims 5 at those with mid-high level machines as well as the ‘true’ audience of the game: Adults, or at least teenagers. NOT Kids! Then people can buy it when they’re ready/ can afford to upgrade.

I know they might worry about the Sims being too risqué for parents of children which may put them off buying, but since a generation lasts around 8+ years, surely at some point, the child will be able to buy it themselves or their parents will at some point feel comfortable buying it. However, because of the nature of the Sims franchise, I think most parents wouldn’t mind buying their child the game even if it was rated teen or 15+ anyway.

My hope would be that the next iteration reflects the true audience of the franchise and appeals to the adults and teenagers who have been loyal to the Sims for all these years instead of just the new, young players.

I would like to see it aimed to older people too, I’m ancient for a player.... lol. But I very much doubt they will. They want to capture as large an audience as they can. And if they start it requiring mid machines and above they will lose a big audience too. Aiming toward younger sims, may capture them for life. EA wants to make money, and to do that the larger The audience the better.
  • Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    For me, The Sims 4 is great - it's not childish or watered down. It's just different, and some people like it and others don't. It has its own humor and quirks, and it's fine.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited August 2020
    They are not even appealing to many young gamers. My young kids have more fun with Story of Seasons, Animal Crossing, or Minecraft. Mods are about the only thing that keep my young kids playing Sims 4(not adult type).
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I have always thought The Sims 4 feels like it's rated for Everyone and I wish they'd push the Teen rating more.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2020
    Probably. From what I gather the core Sims player base is aging. The game’s content should be adapted accordingly.
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    The Sims can be more mature and stay within the Teen rating. Stop watering down the content, add in real consequences for cheating, skipping work, etc. Humor should be a little more suggestive, put back in some previous games' romantic interactions (goose, steamy makeout from S3, let the pre-woohoo butt slap be used without romantic interactions.) Give us back the ability to hire cake dancers, bachelor/bachelorette parties, romantic neck bites for vampires/offer to drink without mods, and please a decent sexy stuff pack like Master Suite Stuff for S3. That's all within the game's rating.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    My kids were 11, 10 and 8 when The Sims 1 came out and that game had strippers. My kids did not seek that "adult stuff" out in the game. They mostly tried to have successful parties so Drew Carey would show up and stuff like that. Then again I was there watching what they did. I was the kind of parent that sat with my children when they used the computer. It was not only an expensive "appliance" but I did not trust a machine to keep the kids out of trouble. I remember the Net Nanny thing was kind of passive and I did not trust her with my kids. lol They played games then that now would be considered inappropriate for today's kids. (crazy taxi and carmageddon come to mind) It was up to my husband and I to say no and keep track to what they were doing online.

I do not know how parents do this today. My oldest grand kid is 7 and already wants a phone for their 8th birthday. They are not going to get a phone but they know that some 8 yo do have phones. Oh, well! Go live with them! lol

However, the Sims 4 is a lot tamer (IMO because of government controlled ratings) then The Sims games of the past. Not sure if this is good or bad. I am an adult and I do have mods in my game but the kids have access to the same mods. For me it's all about how active parents are in what their kids are doing. Maxis made a "safe" game for today's teens with access to mods that are very violent and x x x. Maxis did their job well! IMO Kids/teens still need parental guidance with any screen.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    So, what exactly is more mature content then? If not the typical things already mentioned. It's difficult to form an opinion unless presented with something more specific. And people could be thinking different things despite advocating for the same :o

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    So, what exactly is more mature content then? If not the typical things already mentioned. It's difficult to form an opinion unless presented with something more specific. And people could be thinking different things despite advocating for the same :o

For my family, the "more mature" content would be things like sim children having realistic reactions to sim parent divorce or options for homeschooling/private school without the assistance of mods. Having the sims actually interact with more than just conversation like kids playing tag or people slow dancing. Heck the sims has become a tech-addict Simulator instead of a life Simulator.
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    No. I have two children under the age of 12 who play the game and I want it to appeal them them as well as me.

That's not fair to older players. It's like having a class of 12 year old being taught on a 5 year old's level because because someone thought it would be fair to put a 5 year old in a class of 12 year olds.

You're not being fair to younger players, natch.

I played sims 1 when I was 11 or 12 & still thought it was fun. Kids nowadays are not as innocent as parents claim they are. There’s nothing wrong with adult content for the sims game as long as it’s not sexually explicated. There’s worse things your kids will see then what the sims has to offer.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited August 2020
    I play a lot of teen rated games and yes Sims 4 is very E 10 if even that high. I don't want an adult rated game either. I just want some of the dark humor back and less childish romantic interactions. It is odd how Sims are kind of stuck in the 1950s with a lot of things including how they sleep in the bed together. A lot of the social interactions make it seem like the Sims all have covid so makes gameplay feel disconnected.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Common subjects which are considered Mature Content are nudity, excessive violence, excessive blood and gore, sexual themes, strong language, or ideologically sensitive themes.

The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) is an American self-regulatory organization that assigns age and content ratings to consumer video games. ... The ratings are designed towards parents so they can make informed decisions about purchasing games for their children.

Mature 17+ Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language. Adults Only 18+ Content suitable only for adults ages 18 and up.

Titles rated T (Teen) have content that is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language. ... May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language

https://www.esrb.org/ratings-guide/
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    In Germany the game is rated G right now so there you have it. Germans think it's pretty childish too :lol:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@Rouensims this is not the only characteristics of a non childish game though
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    OP, I totally agree! I'm not seeing you asking for sex and violence as some people are implying you are. It's rated teen but I agree TS4 seem very childish. The more subtle humour in the previous iterations is by far more funny than TS4 slapstick humour imo.

I read somewhere you can't have a party without goals? Why does the game "want to hold your hand" in every situation. What age is it really aimed for? Remember the selling campaign for TS4: You create. You control. You rule. Not so much...

Scobre wrote: »
    I play a lot of teen rated games and yes Sims 4 is very E 10 if even that high. I don't want an adult rated game either. I just want some of the dark humor back and less childish romantic interactions. It is odd how Sims are kind of stuck in the 1950s with a lot of things including how they sleep in the bed together like. A lot of the social interactions make it seem like the Sims all have covid so makes gameplay feel disconnected.

LOL! No "risky" romantic interactions but they allow seeing death, violence and psykopatic behaviour because of the flawed emotion system. Not sure this is suitable for a 5 year old child to see :shttps://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/785845/kids-on-fire.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Nindigo wrote: »
    As it stands, the game can be played and enjoyed by many ages. Ultimately, the player is in charge of how age-appropriate the game plays. We have to remember that some adults still want to play an "innocent" game, while some teens will cry out of more mature-themed content. The Sims 4 is fairly easily modded and with good reason, I believe, so that people can create a more personalized game.

So, to answer the questioning topic title - no, I think the current game is playable by so many age groups that a slight tip in one direction would immediately show as a negative in EA's wallet.

I disagree about this. Previous games were made for people of all ages. The Sims 4 is considerably more tamed and aimed mostly at children and young teens. In The Sims 1 you'd get dancing cages and cakes that spawned an "entertainer." The Sims 2 had super racy makeout and woohoo animations. The Sims 3 had "entertainers" again for bachelor/ette parties and your Sims could get juiced an start dancing on counters.

Don't get me wrong. I do NOT want EXPLICIT stuff at all. That's why I don't like WW or Extreme Violence. But I believe they could have more adult-oriented themes and content and still be rated T for teens. The Sims Medieval had traits like "Licentious," "Compulsive Gambler" and "Drunkard" and was rated T.

I agree with this.

I also think the focus of the game has changed. There’s a huge push with the sims 4 with it described in marketing and by the community manager as a “safe space where we can all learn and explore” While the Sims franchise has always been a safe space, this was never a focus. Now it is.

A previous community manager once said the sims 4 is aimed at teenage girls with what is basically rich parents (Moschino stuff) The Sims 4 feels very woke. The previous games don’t but the previous games are still inclusive.

I don’t think mods should be the answer. Many people can’t use them or won’t use them. Mods shouldn’t be the replacement for game play or features that we had previously that for whatever reason EA won’t bring back.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I don't think the game is childish per se, just trying too hard not to include stuff that could offend or trigger people, and comes off as childish as a result.

Personally, I'm glad that there is no explicit alcohol or drugs in the game (although I try to avoid anything "juice"-related because I get the feeling that that's their euphemism for alcohol), but on the other hand I wish sims could die of illness and sadness, and that pets could die of things other than old age. Regarding the latter, I seem to remember a guru saying that allowing pets to die of anything else would be too much for people, and I wondered: "What people? Toddlers?" (Not saying that only toddlers can be upset when their pet dies, but then what difference does it make if it dies of old age or an illness you refused to treat?)

I had that same reaction to other reasons for not including certain stuff, but when I think about it, it really comes down to things being triggering for some people, not necessarily for small children. And if it's triggering for some people, it can't be included in a game that is meant to be played by everyone. That's how I see it - not how I like it, but how I think the developers make those decisions. (Still doesn't explain the living nightmare fuel that is the cowplant, but... no theory is perfect.)
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I would like a more mature version of sims, that doesnt mean it has to be outrageously explicit. but the game feels incrediable kiddish and almost childish. Theres no consequences, no expectations, no unexpected crazy moments that shake the game up like a robbery gone wrong or a storm that wipes everything out to the point your sim has to find a way to survive again. Theres not that, the game is too easy and sims interact with each other like kids having a playground fight but to scared to do anything. The peewalking, toilet humor, nothing bad ever happening its just..doesn't say this is meant to be a teen game to me and it's not really a teen game. In all honestly, it's the sims at this point feels like e10 game. I just need some grit to the game and gameplay.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2020
    Like others are saying, I wouldn’t want the game to be “explicit”. There’s a middle ground here.

Present us with more challenging decisions, moral and ethical dilemmas, make wages and bills realistic, give us back burglars and other criminals, change the tone of the romantic socials to be a little less cartoonish and more intimate, give our sims more destructive emotional states, include a mild degree of injury and illness (nothing too serious), etc.
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    If sims 5 is going to be another childish game I don’t think I’ll be interested in it. I really do hope they go back to their roots