Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims be aimed at an older audience?

AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
For me, it seems as though The Sims 4 is very watered down and childish compared to previous iterations. A lot of the humour and quirks from previous games has been removed and it seems EA are primarily targeting children with TS4. Ive seen countless polls and even data from EA themselves suggesting the ‘real’ average age of the Sims audience is around 30 years old. So why does TS4 seem so childish? I’m not expecting an 18+ rated version, but I think as a ‘Teen’ game, There should be subtle hints and gameplay such as bachelor / bachelorette parties, hiring entertainment and some detailed storylines such as affairs, trauma, rivalry etc.

Given how long Sims generations now last; EA should aim Sims 5 at those with mid-high level machines as well as the ‘true’ audience of the game: Adults, or at least teenagers. NOT Kids! Then people can buy it when they’re ready/ can afford to upgrade.

I know they might worry about the Sims being too risqué for parents of children which may put them off buying, but since a generation lasts around 8+ years, surely at some point, the child will be able to buy it themselves or their parents will at some point feel comfortable buying it. However, because of the nature of the Sims franchise, I think most parents wouldn’t mind buying their child the game even if it was rated teen or 15+ anyway.

My hope would be that the next iteration reflects the true audience of the franchise and appeals to the adults and teenagers who have been loyal to the Sims for all these years instead of just the new, young players.

Comments

• Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    That's where mods come into play--with the right ones, you can transform the game to a whole new level
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    As it stands, the game can be played and enjoyed by many ages. Ultimately, the player is in charge of how age-appropriate the game plays. We have to remember that some adults still want to play an "innocent" game, while some teens will cry out of more mature-themed content. The Sims 4 is fairly easily modded and with good reason, I believe, so that people can create a more personalized game.

So, to answer the questioning topic title - no, I think the current game is playable by so many age groups that a slight tip in one direction would immediately show as a negative in EA's wallet.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I know they might worry about the Sims being too risqué for parents of children which may put them off buying, but since a generation lasts around 8+ years, surely at some point, the child will be able to buy it themselves or their parents will at some point feel comfortable buying it. However, because of the nature of the Sims franchise, I think most parents wouldn’t mind buying their child the game even if it was rated teen or 15+ anyway.

The game is currently rated Teen. (Just because there is a tiny amount of content included in it to make it teen rated.) If people strictly followed recommendations they wouldn't buy a Teen rated game for younger children. I think they could keep the basegame as child friendly as possible and include teen rated stuff in EP, GP, etc. Whoever has small children in the house can install it on a separate account and let them play basegame and wahtever EP, GPs they consider appropriate for their children.

• Options
    IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

The game is currently rated Teen. (Just because there is a tiny amount of content included in it to make it teen rated.) If people strictly followed recommendations they wouldn't buy a Teen rated game for younger children. I think they could keep the basegame as child friendly as possible and include teen rated stuff in EP, GP, etc. Whoever has small children in the house can install it on a separate account and let them play basegame and wahtever EP, GPs they consider appropriate for their children.

This has always struck me as being the ideal solution. An ages 10+ rated base game, with DLC that adds the stuff that takes more full advantage of the Teen rating.

(I don’t necessarily want them officially adding M content, as I think it might change the tone too much, and this isn’t something I really feel my gameplay needs, but that being said, can you imagine how much $$$$ EA would make if they made an official sexy grown up pack? They would NEVER, but it would definitely sell 😂)
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

This has always struck me as being the ideal solution. An ages 10+ rated base game, with DLC that adds the stuff that takes more full advantage of the Teen rating.

(I don’t necessarily want them officially adding M content, as I think it might change the tone too much, and this isn’t something I really feel my gameplay needs, but that being said, can you imagine how much $$$$ EA would make if they made an official sexy grown up pack? They would NEVER, but it would definitely sell 😂)

Don't think they would ever add true M content, but content suitable for older teens would definitely be welcomed by many players.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    That's where mods come into play--with the right ones, you can transform the game to a whole new level

That's an understatement!
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    No. I have two children under the age of 12 who play the game and I want it to appeal them them as well as me.
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member

Some of the mods out there would make Rockstar blush.. :D
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think they should, the game is lacking a lot in complexity and consequences.

Funny thing is, if you were a teen when you bought the game at release, then you are almost no longer a teen anymore.

At this rate they will lose their own audience if they don't add anything for older simmers.
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    The game has become too childish for me. I don't want adult content but I would like to see less childish behaviour replaced with 'normal' behaviour that isn't over the top childish.
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited August 2020
    I would like adult content but the quarky kind like in the sims 1. This game has became way too childish now & even our sims personality’s show it. They don’t even dance like adults. I really enjoyed the humor on sims 1 & sims bustin out.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I think EA/Maxis can take a lot of lessons from Sims 4, this being one of them. I hope Sims 5 lives up to the expectations set by its predecessors, otherwise I simply won’t buy it. Sims 4 will still be here for the people who want a childish game, and they may be less discerning.
  • Options
    No. I have two children under the age of 12 who play the game and I want it to appeal them them as well as me.

That's not fair to older players. It's like having a class of 12 year old being taught on a 5 year old's level because because someone thought it would be fair to put a 5 year old in a class of 12 year olds.

You're not being fair to younger players, natch.

• Options
    SimKeats wrote: »

Is that teen? I respect you want that, but that doesn't seem fair to expect a game rated T for Teen to cater to children. It's like saying PG13 films should be appropriate for rated G(eneral) audience. When the actual rating of T, or PG13 indicates non child audience, even a movie rated PG obviously means they think a parent should be with a child that is watching it, as it may be too much for a child to watch alone.

Parental guidance recommended, but I don't want the game to be aimed at 17-25 year olds who want their more adult themes crowding out everything else.

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Naus wrote: »
    Nindigo wrote: »
    As it stands, the game can be played and enjoyed by many ages. Ultimately, the player is in charge of how age-appropriate the game plays. We have to remember that some adults still want to play an "innocent" game, while some teens will cry out of more mature-themed content. The Sims 4 is fairly easily modded and with good reason, I believe, so that people can create a more personalized game.

So, to answer the questioning topic title - no, I think the current game is playable by so many age groups that a slight tip in one direction would immediately show as a negative in EA's wallet.

I disagree about this. Previous games were made for people of all ages. The Sims 4 is considerably more tamed and aimed mostly at children and young teens. In The Sims 1 you'd get dancing cages and cakes that spawned an "entertainer." The Sims 2 had super racy makeout and woohoo animations. The Sims 3 had "entertainers" again for bachelor/ette parties and your Sims could get juiced an start dancing on counters.

Don't get me wrong. I do NOT want EXPLICIT stuff at all. That's why I don't like WW or Extreme Violence. But I believe they could have more adult-oriented themes and content and still be rated T for teens. The Sims Medieval had traits like "Licentious," "Compulsive Gambler" and "Drunkard" and was rated T.

That's more the fault of the ESRB's standards than EA itself. If they upped the game rating to M (for mature) then they might be able to get by with a bit more risque behavior (remember the Goose interaction from Sims 2?) but then as @Naus suggested, it could have a negative impact on their bottom line. Also, The Sims 4 is more international than ever; what might be okay in the US or Canada or many European nations might not fly in places like Russia or some of the Middle Eastern or African nations. They're already pushing the envelope in many cases with the fluid gender options (same-sex relationships/marriage, the ability to create transgender Sims, etc.).

I don't think a game that has multiple options for Woohoo beyond the bedroom can really be considered "geared to children". I think that the current game is fine, with plenty of mod options available to spice up the game as much as a player wants.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    My 7 year old thinks the game is too easy and childish. But then, I introduced her to the original first iteration of The Sims, so that may be why. My kids even seem to need mods to make it interesting for them. At least they ask if there are mods for certain aspects of the game.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think there's some things that could be more mature, but the sims has always had quirky twists on some things like bubble blowing, juice and woohooing rather than using the actual more mature terms. I don't want anything too 18+ in the game though, there's mods for that if people want it.

Would like to see some more violence and mature themes, atleast allow sims to get "juiced" if they drink too much. The mean interactions especially need improvement, they're way too babyish. You can tell someone to "go away" oo that'll show em! Atleast give us the option to punch/slap sims

Also it still bothers me how little sims react to being cheated on. They just stomp around a bit and that's it, and I miss how sims woke up mad when you turned the stereo on in their room while they were sleeping. Now they just don't react at all even when I get the entire gang around their bed for a simlish rendition of sweet caroline
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I like TS4 just the way it is. I’m tired of all the sex and violence in books, movies, and TV shows. If I ever decide I want all that in my game, there are plenty of mods out there,
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: