Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is anyone else thinking of skipping the new pack IF it's Sci-FI based?

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    It's funny some of you refuse to skip DLC for DLC packs but when it comes to sci fi passing on a pack suddenly becomes a possibility.

Because some people like the content and do not mind the business model. Not everything is everyone's cup of tea and that is fine. The game is supposed to have bits for a variety of players to pick and choose to fit their styles.

It is like expecting you to buy MFP because I liked it and then getting offended if you do not because you clearly do not like it.

It's just we all know that if something sell well, it will be repeated because as customers we only speak with our money. EA understands only money-language. So I think it is unfair to say I don't care if EA starts making DLC for DLC because there are people out there who don't have enough money to be buying 2 packs for a full Pets pack.
    What you buy affects the whole community not just your game and I think everyone should be aware of that.

Agreed and 100% think Sims 4 Pets was the absolute worst pet pack of them all (including Sims 1) for reasons I have listed in a number of places (look great, but soulless and inconvenient decorations), but while that is all true I feel comfortable paying for expanded content on topics already covered if I like it. (I would still think it was the worst if you included the MFP content, so I do not blame it.) Can this allow for shady practices? Yes, but the Sims is already sold piece by piece with you choosing which you want and which you can afford. It is the same concept to charge you.

The number looks huge on Steam for all the DLC, but this game has been running for six years. A $5 cup of coffee every week adds up to $1440 after six years. At a movie theater I would spend $20 for two hours, while according to my current play time I have paid cents on the hour for entertainment. At the end of the day, buying all the DLC at once certainly feels expensive, but deferred costs make a difference. Especially when they are not obligatory payments (I do not like subscription games). Everyone has to decide what their money is worth to them, regardless of the financial situation.

@Calico45 I don't want to go to off-topic here but the cinema, a restaurant etc. has a different market value than video games. You can't compare them like they are the same thing because they are not. Also when you buy anything out there the price is never regulated by hours of entertainment but by what the product actually costs. So thinking that way about a product can become very problematic in consumerism. I'll just leave it at that. Please don't compare two so different things.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    Yes, I'd skip it. My game-play is based in reality and that just won't work for me. I do enjoy sci-fi and space like that, but not for my play style.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    If it's space but not Star Wars, I'll have to see what the features are. Even for packs I didn't expect to care for (Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Moschino, Laundry Day) I've found stuff I can use and even like in either the gameplay or the content, or both.

If it is Star Wars - Disney already owns my soul, so ... :wink:
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It's funny some of you refuse to skip DLC for DLC packs but when it comes to sci fi passing on a pack suddenly becomes a possibility.

Because some people like the content and do not mind the business model. Not everything is everyone's cup of tea and that is fine. The game is supposed to have bits for a variety of players to pick and choose to fit their styles.

It is like expecting you to buy MFP because I liked it and then getting offended if you do not because you clearly do not like it.

It's just we all know that if something sell well, it will be repeated because as customers we only speak with our money. EA understands only money-language. So I think it is unfair to say I don't care if EA starts making DLC for DLC because there are people out there who don't have enough money to be buying 2 packs for a full Pets pack.
    What you buy affects the whole community not just your game and I think everyone should be aware of that.

Agreed and 100% think Sims 4 Pets was the absolute worst pet pack of them all (including Sims 1) for reasons I have listed in a number of places (look great, but soulless and inconvenient decorations), but while that is all true I feel comfortable paying for expanded content on topics already covered if I like it. (I would still think it was the worst if you included the MFP content, so I do not blame it.) Can this allow for shady practices? Yes, but the Sims is already sold piece by piece with you choosing which you want and which you can afford. It is the same concept to charge you.

The number looks huge on Steam for all the DLC, but this game has been running for six years. A $5 cup of coffee every week adds up to $1440 after six years. At a movie theater I would spend $20 for two hours, while according to my current play time I have paid cents on the hour for entertainment. At the end of the day, buying all the DLC at once certainly feels expensive, but deferred costs make a difference. Especially when they are not obligatory payments (I do not like subscription games). Everyone has to decide what their money is worth to them, regardless of the financial situation.

@Calico45 I don't want to go to off-topic here but the cinema, a restaurant etc. has a different market value than video games. You can't compare them like they are the same thing because they are not. Also when you buy anything out there the price is never regulated by hours of entertainment but by what the product actually costs. So thinking that way about a product can become very problematic in consumerism. I'll just leave it at that. Please don't compare two so different things.

It is true they are different, but if we cannot compare different things you cannot compare anything. Apples to oranges is the metaphor given when things are too different to compare, but if you truly could never compare them then you would never be able to group them together as fruit. If you elaborated specifically why my comparison was a weak one, I would understand more why my logic is flawed and would be able to reevaluate.

(I have gathered from your words that it is because external entities set the prices due market pressures, which honestly is the same for games if you think of employment, marketing, etc. costs. My assumption would be you want to contrast a digital product to a physical one, but that does not make sense to me because it is still a created product sold so that you may consume it. In this case for entertainment and not food.)

I compare restaurant and movie theaters because they are entertainment, which I consume like all other forms of entertainment. Luxuries that I budget for and some of the first things I would cut out should I need to. While I admit solely looking at time you miss out on the general experience factor, but if I am not enjoying it then it is not particularly entertainment, now is it? Personally, I get a lot more enjoyment out of games than movies usually, even when accounting for free movies.

But like you said, not to get off topic. A SciFi pack theoretically would not be DLC for DLC so this was all a tangent.
  • Options
    TomasGrizzlyTomasGrizzly Posts: 736 Member
    My approach to the next pack will be the same as with any pack.
    Like it a lot = buy (at full price).
    Like it a bit = wait for discount.
    Not liking it (or outright hating some features) = not buying it.
    Simple as that.
    I like fantasy and a bit of Sci-Fi. Want to know what I'm reading?
    I also like wandering the hills.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Oh, definitely. A space pack would be one of the least exciting themes they could ever do for me. Star Wars would be even worse. No way I'd ever even consider buying a Star Wars pack.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited August 2020
    depends on what comes with it. if its all tacky star wars garbage then nah.
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    It depends on how good the content will be,and if there are any good gameplay objects.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

It is true they are different, but if we cannot compare different things you cannot compare anything. Apples to oranges is the metaphor given when things are too different to compare, but if you truly could never compare them then you would never be able to group them together as fruit. If you elaborated specifically why my comparison was a weak one, I would understand more why my logic is flawed and would be able to reevaluate.

(I have gathered from your words that it is because external entities set the prices due market pressures, which honestly is the same for games if you think of employment, marketing, etc. costs. My assumption would be you want to contrast a digital product to a physical one, but that does not make sense to me because it is still a created product sold so that you may consume it. In this case for entertainment and not food.)

I compare restaurant and movie theaters because they are entertainment, which I consume like all other forms of entertainment. Luxuries that I budget for and some of the first things I would cut out should I need to. While I admit solely looking at time you miss out on the general experience factor, but if I am not enjoying it then it is not particularly entertainment, now is it? Personally, I get a lot more enjoyment out of games than movies usually, even when accounting for free movies.

But like you said, not to get off topic. A SciFi pack theoretically would not be DLC for DLC so this was all a tangent.

@Calico45 Just to clarify I was talking about how a video game is basically just a copy of a product that was created once and is being sold in masses while a meal at a restaurant cannot be copied, it is one meal specifically prepared for you and nobody else. So there is different market value. Video games are more similar to music albums for example.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I'm not really interested in a Star Wars pack but I will wait and see. There are too many bugs right now in every pack at release so I don't want to buy their new packs immediately anyway, and that often makes me lose interest in the pack after a couple of weeks...
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I wouldn’t skip a sci-fi pack, but I have skipped packs I’m not interested in. As the number of packs grows larger, it gets more and more likely that not everyone is going to like every single theme. And that’s okay. Because “I don’t personally like this theme” does not equal “bad pack”.
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited August 2020
    Definitely skipping any star wars garbage we already have their ridiculous outfits in game and I can't rid of them, happy for people who like it, and skipping it means saving money for me as it'll be the first time I won't buy a sims 4 gamepack..
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Depends what they do with it. Space isn't particularly my thing and a star wars collab doesn't really interest me. I was hoping for a winter pack instead but I'm all for them trying different things and I'm open to whatever they're gonna bring.
  • Options
    IrishSimmer21IrishSimmer21 Posts: 464 Member
    I have no interest in Star Wars so I won't buy it.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i will be buying the pack mostly for the buy build content as for the game play will explore the pack first before saying anything on the pack itself so will wait and see
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    It depends, some sifi elements i like for exmple modern tech, some of them i dont care for like aliens so i would skip too if that was the case. As for a space pack that is around sending sims to space or something like that, i would skip that one as well.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Every pack released I consider skipping. It’s up to the team to release promotional material that convinces me I should NOT skip the pack. The pressure is on them.
  • Options
    Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Every pack released I consider skipping. It’s up to the team to release promotional material that convinces me I should NOT skip the pack. The pressure is on them.

Yeah...I’m the opposite. I love having a lot of content and even if a packs gameplay is not for me usually there’s a world or furniture or some CAS or Buy mode stuff I could use.
  • Options
    Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    No, I play main realistic but I think the cas/build could be really cool. Unless it's something I really do not want in my game I'd get it for that. Right now vampires is the only one I'd never get, but there are more themes I also can imagine not wanting. If it's werewolves I'd pass, but sci-fi/space I'd want to get.

I will however wait until I get create a bundle with the next expansion and knitting stuff to save money.

Yeah, see Vampires has really nice , normal , cas items, windows included. Doors...Space stuff? Nah. I dont build futuristic homes. Nor would i have a use to download any.

Vampires does have some nice CAS but I don't want vampires in my game and don't enjoy using mods often so it's not worth it. For me, I buy my packs based on completely creating the perfect game for myself, not just owning it ALL, so if I pack would make me like the game less, rather than improving it, I don't mind skipping at all haha.

I wouldn't be interested in futuristic homes either. More the small stuff. I'm looking forward to wall posters and collectible figurines for my geeky dad Sim, light sabre toys for kids to play with, sci-fi themed t-shirts again for my geeky dad sim haha, a normal sized telescope, maybe even an astronomy hobby where you can name stars and discover constellations etc etc. I'm not a builder at all, and my Sims all live in Sulani, so doors/windows stuff don't really interest me much, more the decor.

With the latest update , players can disallow vampires from entering their homes entirely by just clicking on the door . No more vampire break ins.

Also, because there’s no story progression, once you manually delete the premade vampires, you won’t even see any around town 🤷‍♀️

I personally like all the sims packs , that’s partly why I buy them all. But also yes I do like to collect and support sims 4 , because I like this game 🙃 I will buy every pack , unless I’m absolutely sure I can’t use anything in it. Won’t know until the reveal of the pack though.

Maybe, just maybe there will be “something” worthwhile I can get from a potential scifi pack, so I can keep my Completed collection .

I don't care about them breaking in so much as I don't want them in my game at all though. I don't want them breaking in, or at the park, or in a restaurant, or walking down the street etc. You can delete them but you'd have to keep doing it over and over which is a pain, as the game spawns more sims. Like ghosts, no matter how many times I go into manage worlds, more ghost sims respawn. (Not sims dying, they just respawn, aliens too and mermaids, but fortunately you cna't tell with them unless you know who they are).

I have all the other packs except vampires, but there are a couple I regret buying. Fortunately not a regret because of something they added like vampires would, but more just cuz I don't get use out of them. Mostly I don't like spa day, bowling stuff and discover university just cuz they had nothing I use in them really. I think vintage glamour and romantic garden I dont really use either.

I love the game too, it's my fav game haha, but yeah, just don't wamt vampires in the game. If they add in away to toggle them off COMPLETELY I'd consider it on sale. And most packs are great :)

Yeah I’m NOT a realism player. I actually don’t play sims for mimicking real life. I have realm of Magic and Vampires and Strangerville and if more cool occult’s come, I’ll buy those too if they are fun.

Space doesn’t interest me as a theme. But I guess there is a chance this pack might have something usable.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2020
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Yeah...I’m the opposite. I love having a lot of content and even if a packs gameplay is not for me usually there’s a world or furniture or some CAS or Buy mode stuff I could use.

This is often the case for me as well. I bought StrangerVille for the laptops and military career. I bought Moschino for the Photography career. I bought Vampires and RoM for the new worlds. Vampires has some cool BB pieces too. I have zero interest in supernatural Sims. I haven’t played in the RoM world yet but I use the Vampires world all the time.

So I guess if they add a new world or career, I’m sold lol
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I will get it at some point. When? It depends what's in it and if it has stuff I can use but I will buy it. That's what I do! If a pack comes out I wait for inspiration. Sometimes it's instant and I buy it right away. Sometimes I wait. I have not seen what the pack has yet. Looking for at least one item, interaction or world that I like. Watch some reviews and see what bugs there are. I do this for every pack!

Getting kind of leery of prerelease updates though. EL's kind of messed up things. Auto update is off for me.
  • Options
    peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    I would skip it if it’s Star Wars but I’m down if it’s sci-fi. I’m a science fantasy writer and I love certain themes but Star Wars would be really restrictive.
  • Options
    asa144asa144 Posts: 606 Member
    I most certainly will be. To be honest, I haven't liked any of the packs that came out after University. Eco Lifestyle especially was a giant blob of nothing. Since the Sims has come out, no Sims series has come even close to be as disappointing as TS4. Glad an alternative game is in development.
  • Options
    AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    If it is indeed a Star Wars themed pack, it will probably be one of the first that I ever preorder I love Star Wars and I love the Sims.
  • Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I think the pack would be fun and just adds another element to my game play.