Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to make money at Uni (suggestions?)

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
Hey guys,
So I recently moved two really broke sims to university and they had to take a student loan to be able to afford it. Now I kind of have to pay it off but I don't know how to make any money at uni.
I am playing with a spellcaster and a vampire and I would love some kind off hands on job like a barista or bartender but I think the Sims 4 doesn't have that right?
How do your students earn money? Got any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Comments

• Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Paint, write, play an instrument for tips.

Can take all the stuff the other sims bring to the dorm and sell it in inventory too!

One of my sims made a ton of money getting others to paint, but I had set the dorm up ahead of time with an area with some easels and those lamps that can force the inspired mood - everything they painted - my sim could sell!

May be able to do one of the part time jobs - not sure if the hours would interfere with classes though.

There are also the freelance jobs - can do when want or need to.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2020
    @SimmerGeorge Do you have Island Living? You could take some odd jobs or one of the part time jobs the pack offers. These part time jobs often come with different shifts you can choose from (early or late shift). The part time job as a handyman (base game) is only on the weekend if I remember correctly. So the working hours should not interfere with your classes.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited August 2020
    Find something portable that you can use the CopyPasto spell on. Sell the duplicates. You can easily make 10K in about half an hour with a Virtuoso spellcaster duplicating a Tome of Herbio ($420) for instance.

Get a job as an actor/actress. Schedule your auditions for Friday evening and your gigs for Saturday or Sunday.

Play guitar, violin, or keyboard at a community lot and hope for tips.

Mix drinks and sell them through your personal inventory. Most drinks are worth more than they cost to make.

Make statues at a woodworking bench. Statues go into personal inventory, so you can easily sell them. You can find a woodworking bench at the Art Center in San Myshuno if you have City Living.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Painting and creating things at the woodworking table are two very good solutions! Mixing drinks and selling them is a must as well.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Most skills offer some kind of money making abilities, I’d suggest just sticking to the hobbies your sims have established. If you want more challenge with selling crafted objects I like to use the sales table that can be found in City Living, Jungle Adventures or Eco Lifestyle. Plopsy could also be a fun option for even more challenge.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    One's a spellcaster? Learn Bugliarate, go to museum, steal something expensive. Take it home, copypasta it a few times.
  • Options
    NushkaNushka Posts: 380 Member
    Scholarships, my sims only ever pay for the first simester third and fourth simesters give them extra money. Just remember to apply for scholarships befpre every simester ends.
    Happy simming!
  • Options
    EVANGELlNEEVANGELlNE Posts: 51 Member
    Just base game, the easiest way to make money is definitely painting (I think large abstract sells the most, you may need to google that) and also Gardening/planting. If you choose to paint, I would suggest getting your sim inspired before you start, so there is a chance you increase the quality of the painting. You could probably also try publishing written works. My sims usually get about $200-400 simoleons in recurring royalty fees, I'm not sure if it's daily but it's definitely frequent. If you publish a lot, this actually adds up. One of my sims earned 7,800 simoleons from royalty fees in 1 day, but this was with the Get Famous upload videos feature.

If you have Jungle Adventure, one of the fastest ways to make money is through authenticating artifacts (3000 to 4000 simoleons per mailed-back artifact). Every time you find a rare treasure, these items are worth 10,000 simoleons when sold. You could tie this into your university gameplay by saying your student-sim is an archaeology intern. You should have higher skill levels to attempt this (at least level 5-10), otherwise buy the items in town. If you have low skills, your Sim may get cursed. To cure the curse, just view the Statue in town.
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    My sim did photography - takes no extra time and sells for a profit.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    I had a Rock Star attend uni with his three siblings. He would continue to give concerts (some on campus, others away) and would cut albums on his free time. Beyond that, he was already wealthy, making a bulk of his money while still a teen. Became a teen Global Superstar, he did. Also, he's much wanted on the cover of magazines so at §10,000 a pop, same pay as for an epic concert, he was rolling in the dough. The others spent their time on their studies. Since Erik helped them out financially, they needn't work.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    I had a Rock Star attend uni with his three siblings. He would continue to give concerts (some on campus, others away) and would cut albums on his free time. Beyond that, he was already wealthy, making a bulk of his money while still a teen. Became a teen Global Superstar, he did. Also, he's much wanted on the cover of magazines so at §10,000 a pop, same pay as for an epic concert, he was rolling in the dough. The others spent their time on their studies. Since Erik helped them out financially, they needn't work.

@GalacticGal Okay this is really interesting to me. How did you do this in the game? I would love to make a famous singer but my first attempt failed miserably and I couldn't get enough fame by using the microphone.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

@GalacticGal Okay this is really interesting to me. How did you do this in the game? I would love to make a famous singer but my first attempt failed miserably and I couldn't get enough fame by using the microphone.

Mods. I use both Road to Fame and Showtime. They both work well with GF. In fact, once I added Showtime, my Sim started gaining fame more quickly. At one time (since I've had to restart that game save too many times to count) he made it to Global Superstar in 21 Sim days. The next new save he made it in 16 Sim days.

WY3SbkV.jpg
    gOd6iP4.jpg

Erik Cantrell just did it again.
    itRgZtG.jpg

ETA: If you use Road to Fame, which I recommend, in order to have your Sim put on a concert (and the mod requires your Sim earn Simpoints 100/100, which is simply by turning out songs, and/or music from the mix machine) you'll have to find or build venues for said concerts. You can find some really nice ones under #RTF in the Gallery.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options

Mods. I use both Road to Fame and Showtime. They both work well with GF. In fact, once I added Showtime, my Sim started gaining fame more quickly. At one time (since I've had to restart that game save too many times to count) he made it to Global Superstar in 21 Sim days. The next new save he made it in 16 Sim days.

WY3SbkV.jpg
    gOd6iP4.jpg

@GalacticGal I always thought they would conflict with GF but I guess I was wrong. I'll go check the mods out again (I used to have them before GF) and maybe I'll try this out. Awesome.
  • Options

WY3SbkV.jpg
    gOd6iP4.jpg

@GalacticGal I always thought they would conflict with GF but I guess I was wrong. I'll go check the mods out again (I used to have them before GF) and maybe I'll try this out. Awesome.

I was using Road to Fame before EA announced Get Famous was coming. Silly me, I removed that mod thinking I would no longer need it. Another player informed me that Sacrificial had upgraded Road to Fame to allow for the Professional Singer Career and it is designed to work with GF. KS Showtime also works well with the other two. Just make sure on RTF you go into the options menu on the mod and enable both RTF and GF so those systems will be working.

Also, if you have your Sim practice modeling and they reach 200 Simrenheits invitations to come to photoshoots will come along and your Sim's image will grace magazine covers.

Erik became a superstar with RTF
    05d1ubS.jpg

Erik's Obsessed Fan:
    5g2Zft6.jpg

I'm loving how RTF plays out. Wildly fun. Best of luck.
  • Options
    TTNsimmerTTNsimmer Posts: 669 Member
    Research and debate. Once you reach a certain level( 8 i think) you can contribute knowledge to the research archive machine and gain a lot of money. Also you can became professional commentator.