Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your legacy rules (2 questions about it)

texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
Just curious if:
1) you make your sim's kids 'inherit' one or more traits from their parents?
2) you make your sim's kids 'inherit' a hobbie or career from their parents?
Post edited by texxx78 on

Comments

• Options
    Bumping
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited August 2020
    Neither.
    I randomize the traits. But! I don't know how this is possible, perhaps it is a thing, a feature, 90% of time they inherit one trait from both of the parents. Usually it is insane and creative. So majority of my sims are artists. Because I pick their jobs based on their traits.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited August 2020
    No to both questions. Kids gets random traits and a career they either want because of their aspiration or what I think fits them best, same with hobbies.
  • Options
    Thank you for answering @DoloresGrey and @Duvelina . I have been playing like you do, randomizing traits and choosing goals in each sim's life according to theur traits.

Latelly i find that my families member's goals are so diverse that they end up not spending enough time together... i'm thinking on trying to tie their goals together somehow... like generational goals or something. It's hard to explain cause i don't know exactly what i want/mean too πŸ˜…
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    I get that! Everyone is living their own life and there's not much tying them together. Generation goals are a good idea. I know there's a sim random legacy roller out there with generational goals. You could look through those and see if there's anything interesting.

You could also think up storylines that involve multiple family members. They don't have to have the same jobs or the same traits. An example would be where one family member ie a cop and another a criminal and how they would behave towards each other when they found out or make them run into each other regularly while your criminal is out doing illegal activities (like stealing for example).
  • Options
    Duvelina wrote: Β»
    I get that! Everyone is living their own life and there's not much tying them together. Generation goals are a good idea. I know there's a sim random legacy roller out there with generational goals. You could look through those and see if there's anything interesting.

You could also think up storylines that involve multiple family members. They don't have to have the same jobs or the same traits. An example would be where one family member ie a cop and another a criminal and how they would behave towards each other when they found out or make them run into each other regularly while your criminal is out doing illegal activities (like stealing for example).

Great idea! Maybe think of a 'theme' and have each family member embrace it according to their traits and then see how they interact... in my next play session i'll try this approach. Thank you :)
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    Just curious if:
    1) you make your sim's kids 'inherit' one or more traits from their parents?
    2) you make your sim's kids 'inherit' a hobbie or career from their parents?

I halfway do it. I'm not consistent, but normally I randomize the toddler traits and as they age up afterwards, give my sims a 20% to 25% chance of inheriting a parent's trait. I use random.org, set it to randomize a number 1-4 or 1-5. If it's 1 I give them a parent's trait and if not, I randomize the other traits or pick one that I think fits.

It's similar with careers and hobbies. Sometimes, I'll pick a child to do the other branch of the parent's career if they were particularly close.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I do try to pick one random trait from the parents. But I think all of this generation's 4 kids rolled the same trait, so I ended up choosing the inherited traits for the younger kids instead of randomising them.
    I didn't get very far in my legacy yet, but I do try to diversify the hobbies and careers. I don't want to be playing the same stuff over and over again.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    notasmokealarm09notasmokealarm09 Posts: 240 Member
    No to both. I randomize all traits for Sims born into my saves. And career is based off of whatever best fits their traits.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I do connect the kids to the parents sometimes, or to the family story. With careers and hobbies, each of the branches of my family lives in a different world and is slightly themed to that world, so the Sulani family has two generations in the two branches of the conservation career, and they're all into swimming and fishing to a degree. Multiple members of the San Myshuno family are trying to get the spice hound and chopstick traits. Stuff like that. But not in every branch of the family.

I don't do randomized traits, and I started making every sim have one of the more negative traits so I wouldn't make everyone perfect. Wolfgang Munch had three negative traits and three children, so I did have each of them inherit one of his faults. That's the family where I worked the hardest on the character values from Parenthood also, so it made sense to have that parenting connection.
    Recently I had a family where the parents divorced due to infidelity while their twins were children, and I'm having one grow up with the jealous trait and the other with noncommittal, in response to their childhood.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Daephene wrote: Β»
    I do connect the kids to the parents sometimes, or to the family story. With careers and hobbies, each of the branches of my family lives in a different world and is slightly themed to that world, so the Sulani family has two generations in the two branches of the conservation career, and they're all into swimming and fishing to a degree. Multiple members of the San Myshuno family are trying to get the spice hound and chopstick traits. Stuff like that. But not in every branch of the family.

I don't do randomized traits, and I started making every sim have one of the more negative traits so I wouldn't make everyone perfect. Wolfgang Munch had three negative traits and three children, so I did have each of them inherit one of his faults. That's the family where I worked the hardest on the character values from Parenthood also, so it made sense to have that parenting connection.
    Recently I had a family where the parents divorced due to infidelity while their twins were children, and I'm having one grow up with the jealous trait and the other with noncommittal, in response to their childhood.

This is so interesting... i like the last story. It makes sense. I think this kind of connections is what i'm looking for...
  • Options
    Nightwolf225Nightwolf225 Posts: 44 Member
    I'm a bit of a mix and matcher when it comes to my legacy sims I always roll for random when they are a toddler and then depending on what trait they roll will depend on how I develop them down the line for example if my toddler rolls clingy then I will make them pick up a trait and hobby from which ever parent I see them autonomously going to for help most often and I'll often set them down a similar career path for example if their parent is a writer I'll maybe make them become a painter under the idea that they do illustration for their parents books

whereas an independent toddler will roll randomly a traits and I use an rng to decide a hobby for them to pick and then based on that hobby I pick a career path.

I have different rules for each toddler trait which I use to keep each gen interesting, I also have a rule that around about as they are about to age up into and adult I'll roll on another rng to decide if they're going to have a mid-life crisis which depending on where they end up rolling they will randomly re‐re roll 1 or 2 traits and also change careers based on what they get
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,968 Member
    edited August 2020
    nah my legacy got no rules so neither
    itd be awfully boring repeating same things over and over so i guess my only rule is that they are something no one in their family has been yet when it comes to these things

like if family already had athlete level 10 its not gonna have another etc.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    1. Sometimes, but not in any systematic way. This is more a matter of liking certain traits for gameplay. I let genetics play out in appearance, but personality is mostly nurture, and what they are like as children.

2. No, but... Because Fresh Chef is so darn handy, someone in a household nearly always goes into the Culinary career. Even before they may the aspiration, the demands to cook X number of meals helps keep a growing family fed.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Nope I randomize their traits. I also usually do random number generators for other things like hobbies/jobs and for sure aspirations. The only aspirations I say no to are the location based ones. I’d even add a supernatural if it came up just might not use them for an heir lol.

I’ll give a current example. My current heir is a teen and when I randomized her aspirations she got the Jungle adventure one. That gave her a good hobby right off the bat. I also will focus on fitness and logic with her which are also important in this case. So sometimes I just go with what makes the most sense from a storytelling point of view. I also randomized whether she should have a normal job, work from home, active or self employed and Self employed won. Makes it more unique to make it random as then I can try things I may not usually.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    No to both. I just randomize their traits and they get a job based on their aspiration.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @telmarina - I use Pinstar's Legacy Challenge Random Trait Generator and you put in both parents traits and roll. Sometimes the kids inherit their parents traits, sometimes they don't. I use this randomizer for other challenges too. I like the idea of kids inheriting from their parents versus a bunch of super random traits.
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I don't choose either. I let fate play a hand.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D