Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why you dislike Nifty Knitting?

I want to understand why a bunch of people is hating on this pack, when I feel like its one of the best stuff packs we EVER had. Please, give me your reasons.

Comments

• Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    The reason i saw was that it seemed boring. I guess it is just a matter of people not being interested in knitting and wanting other features instead. I personally agree with you that it is better than most if not all the previous stuff packs.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2020
    It's definitely one of the best stuff packs. I agree with the poster above. 9 out of 10 anyone who doesn't like it complain about how "boring" it is even on twitter. Not gonna lie, I personally think there are much more interesting themes out there. But I enjoy the pack for what it is.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I don't hate it, in fact I enjoyed it more than expected, but I have no interest in the theme. I lost every vote.

That is part of it, the votes. People were disappointed they did not win. The other thing is some people seemed to get it in their head that this would be more than a stuff pack if you will. Those disappointed over not having an elder pack or a full on arts and crafts pack expected more out of this pack than the narrow focus of knitting, and I would argue of a stuff pack.

That is what sort of annoys me about some of the criticism. A fair number of times I see people dismiss Happy Haunts that other people wanted saying it should be a GP, but isn't arts and crafts/hobbies the same? It has to contain a bunch of stuff unless it would be just knitting stuff, sculpting stuff, ceramic stuff, etc. It was never going to be all happy haunts or all arts and crafts, but one.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Knitting alone is not interesting enough to merit its own pack
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I don't hate it, in fact I enjoyed it more than expected, but I have no interest in the theme. I lost every vote.

That is part of it, the votes. People were disappointed they did not win. The other thing is some people seemed to get it in their head that this would be more than a stuff pack if you will. Those disappointed over not having an elder pack or a full on arts and crafts pack expected more out of this pack than the narrow focus of knitting, and I would argue of a stuff pack.

That is what sort of annoys me about some of the criticism. A fair number of times I see people dismiss Happy Haunts that other people wanted saying it should be a GP, but isn't arts and crafts/hobbies the same? It has to contain a bunch of stuff unless it would be just knitting stuff, sculpting stuff, ceramic stuff, etc. It was never going to be all happy haunts or all arts and crafts, but one.

I would have to agree on this as being a reason for folks casting shade at nifty knitting....and who doesn't understand? It is too bad though because the knitting skill is really fun and the pack did come with some lovely decor and furniture that blends very nicely with the tiny house stuff pack...an added bonus when one pack compliments another. I think of it this way ..what if we could have slow dancing in the game and then suddenly we get salsa dancing instead ...i want to slow dance at weddings ..so many wanted happy haunts ...it just stings when something is so close and then is taken away.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I didn't buy the knitting pack yet because the skill doesn't interest me at all. That said though, looking at the stuff you do get with the pack, how fleshed out just a simple skill seems to be, the metal station, plopsy... it does seem to contain a lot of "stuff" even for a stuff pack. I'd argue it's probably one of the better value stuff packs. It's actually why I have almost considered it because as much as I think knitting is boring... there's a lot of other stuff here.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Not very interesting concept and swatches of items are too "cutesy" with weird pastel colours rather than neutral tones which makes them hard to use in regular builds. Also the voting process and dragged out release has left a lot of people feeling disappointed, majority either wanted happy haunts or an elders pack and we got neither. When you give people an option on these things people usually get one option they really love and get excited for, and then when that option doesn't win that leads to disappointment. I feel like people would possibly be more positive if it was a surprise release like Tiny Living
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    I wouldn't say that I hate it, but I don't love it either. The concept is just not something that I find interesting, and a lot of the items that I voted for didn't win. I understand that it's just how it is with these community voted packs, but it still feels disappointing.

Playing around with the knitting skill just felt dull. It's the usual formula - you start off being able to knit one thing and you unlock more things to knit as your skill increases. Pair that with a theme that I wasn't thrilled about and things got boring really quickly.

I try to be the 'don't knock it until you try it' kind of person, so I hoped I might be pleasantly surprised but I wasn't.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    cherrysim_cherrysim_ Posts: 25 Member
    I don't hate it but I'm just not interested in knitting. I bought it thinking it would have some more stuff I could use but I had it for a week or so and I barely used any of the things in the pack.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I haven't bought it yet and my main reason is that I'm disappointed with the pastel room that won the style vote. I know there are neutral swatches, but I can still complain if 70% of the swatches are not what I want. Also I voted for arts and crafts with a new hobby in mind, but knitting wasn't my first choice. So for me it's pretty close but not quite there. I will buy the pack once there's a sale and likely enjoy.
  • Options
    AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    I don't dislike it per say but I am annoyed with it. I love knitting as a craft, but I crochet so I'd have preferred that overall. They need to adjust it though because if the knitting bag is in one's inventory they will stop doing everything to knit. One of my sim's left her wedding vows to go knit.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I haven't bought it yet, but I will later on. I like the idea of my sims knitting, I've been knitting for over 10 years now. However, I do wish it had been a hobby/craft game pack with a few different crafts (like knitting, glass blowing & pottery for example) rather than a stuff pack focused on one craft. But that seems to be the way that EA likes to do things now so there's unlikely anything I can do to get them to change it. I can see us eventually having separate stuff packs for other crafts or hobbies, because they like the revenue it generates.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    My biggest peeve with 'Nifty Knitting' is the fact that we were always gonna get that theme, regardless of what the community voted for in that survey they gave us... my bitterness has definitely lessened since then, but it's still there. I bought the pack, regardless, as I said I would anyway... but yeah, the fact that they basically fooled many of us into thinking we were actually gonna have a say in what the pack would be, despite the fact that they had already chosen, still leaves a terrible taste.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    There are a lot of reviews, comments, threads etc about why some people didn't like the pack and it's been explained pretty thoroughly since it has been released. Maybe you want to check that stuff out
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    edited August 2020
    Knitting alone is not interesting enough to merit its own pack
    Yup my thoughts exactly. I don't hate it I just don't think it warrants its own pack when they could have had a GP and more to do.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    I didn't buy the knitting pack yet because the skill doesn't interest me at all. That said though, looking at the stuff you do get with the pack, how fleshed out just a simple skill seems to be, the metal station, plopsy... it does seem to contain a lot of "stuff" even for a stuff pack. I'd argue it's probably one of the better value stuff packs. It's actually why I have almost considered it because as much as I think knitting is boring... there's a lot of other stuff here.

That Plopsy applies to more than just the knitting is a big deal for me -- it gives my artists a new option for selling their paintings, plus more incentive to work at the woodworking bench since the sculptures can be sold as well. I've set up a crafting room in a house (it's my remodel of Brook Bungalow) and it's a good place for Sims to create.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I bought it, but haven't used anything in it other than decorate a knitting area in a home I built, decorated and shared. I wanted to try out Plopsy more than knitting, but bc that skill isn't really anything fun for me, I'm glad others seem to enjoy it tho.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    So can you use Plopsy to sell more then just knitting things?
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    So can you use Plopsy to sell more then just knitting things?

You can sell paintings you made, candles, I think woodworking items too. I'm not sure what else
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I'm not saying that I hate this pack, but for me of all the different types of crafts knitting in real life just does not appeal to me. I did try it when I was younger and just could never figure out how the whole thing works.
  • Options
    MagicaCatMagicaCat Posts: 124 Member
    Honestly, I only bought it for the rocking chairs and the Metal music so I'm happy with it!
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I'm kinda neutral on the pack. I like Plopsy....as my Sim is making tons of money on floral arrangements and other craftables. Knitting, I like that kids can knit, but kids can't use Plopsy so this stuff just sits in their inventory, which I dont' like. I usually have them gift things to their friends.
    My main grievance & biggest annoyance with the pack is that my Sim will stop doing any action I have queued up for them to knit. It's absolutely ridiculous - my Sim could be in the middle of cooking, & leave food on the stove to go knit.
  • Options
    I'm kinda neutral on the pack. I like Plopsy....as my Sim is making tons of money on floral arrangements and other craftables. Knitting, I like that kids can knit, but kids can't use Plopsy so this stuff just sits in their inventory, which I dont' like. I usually have them gift things to their friends.
    My main grievance & biggest annoyance with the pack is that my Sim will stop doing any action I have queued up for them to knit. It's absolutely ridiculous - my Sim could be in the middle of cooking, & leave food on the stove to go knit.

I always turn off selected sims autonomy, maybe that would help them not to be constantly ignoring what you want them to do, tho since I haven't had mine start knitting I'm not sure if it helps lol
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2020
    It's a boring theme for one. An arts and crafts pack with various art activities would of been so much better. Knitting has the same boring animation every single time. It doesn't even have colour variations in the animation and also no ball of yarn? Like are they conjuring the wool from their bottoms or what? Also it bothers me that the knitting skill is leveled so fast and easy. My sim leveled in her skill before she even finished knitting her first item. The items for children and toddlers are lacking as usual which is another disappointment when they are the ages that are most in need of new things and knitting things for kids is actually more likely than for adults.

It's not completely negative from me though as I do enjoy Plopsy and I'm happy for the baby onsies.

Post edited by Sharonia on
  • Options
    RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    I do like the pack and really like Plopsy because as others have stated you can sell your other made items. I like adding a little bit of whimsy to certain sims and the knitting is helping my sim in college to chill out. Plus she makes money to pay for tuition.