Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just me or Supernatural Gameplay seems lacking?

Even with Vampires and Realm as Gamepacks is it me or just there not much to do? I mean JA is a game pack and it has a ton of things to do and I never get bored but the two fantasy packs seem to get boring quickly... Also Halloween much to my annoyance is not a built-in holiday and is mostly only for kids which is irritating... Aliens and Mermaids are by the worst Occults in game as they have hardly anything to do. Even though I like JA a lot I feel the main mechanic exploring temples could be a bit more interesting as there only offering, legends of hidden temple tiki face and spear pulleys as puzzle objects... And even more you sadly can't befriend skeletons and they just there and they don't even attack you.
Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I agree, namely. I love the vampires in Sims 4, but when you have to rely on one life state for all of your supernatural needs it can only do so much.

I expected more from ROM. They are sound enough at the base, but there are not enough ways to make original casters beyond aesthetics (I tried to use curses like vampire weaknesses, but it does not work well). Also there is no overlying magic for all life states or supernatural elements. The BB and CAS assets are good, but the gameplay is just lacking and witches have been my favorite life state in the past iterations.

I like mermaids, but they do need more. Like underwater gameplay and a skill tree. Aliens at least have a world and connections with rockets, but there is nothing special about them beyond a few funny social interactions and "brain power." If they had more to do in their world or have "Earth missions" or something to make them more unique it would be better.

Not to mention plant Sims need some substance themselves.
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Let's not even get started how HQ was spectacularly decorated in trailers and everyone thought the 'original' Practical Sage was hot...
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited July 2020
    I feel like they have forgotten about the supernatural stuff & cater more to the realisms players.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    The Odd thing with ROM is that it made my other packs (Discover University and Jungle Adventures) more fun than the ROM pack itself when I had my spell casters play through them. My spell casters made short work of all the things I did not like about those packs. :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The Only True Life State we have are

Aliens, Vampires, Spellcasters, Mermaids and Servo. One of which are fully fleshed out (Vampires) while the other one feels like should have been an Expansion Pack because there are so many things that the devs would like and can do in the lifestate but they can't because it is a gamepack (Realm of Magic) {I still wish Island Living was a gamepack and RoM as Expansion Pack :(( } Meanwhile The other Two (Aliens, mermaids and Servo) are nothing but a side feature of an Expansion Pack that did not receive enough Depth.

We also have the "Abandoned Occults". These are for me Life State that should have been an occult but the devs do not classify them as one. We have Ghost which are just sims with different colors with one or two abilities, Plantsims which are sims that have a different skin color and has one or two abilities with little minor changes and Skeletons, which are sims that have a different body looks and has only one or two abilities with little minor changes. I am sensing a pattern here....

So definelty the Occult Gameplay is severly lacking in The Sims 4.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I disagree.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    The Odd thing with ROM is that it made my other packs (Discover University and Jungle Adventures) more fun than the ROM pack itself when I had my spell casters play through them. My spell casters made short work of all the things I did not like about those packs. :D

Oh when I send my students off to university I make sure they have plenty of Plentiful Need potions on hand, and get them to the Magic Realm to make more when need be.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    Skeletons need to be more fleshed out... oh wait a sec...
    LOL, good joke. But yes always would love more fleshed out supernaturals. I can't stand the temp state ones which annoyed me in the Sims 3 too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    edited July 2020
    I agree for the most part - I do think the Vampires in TS4 are very well done though. For me Spellcasters are a different story. I still love ROM and I play with it a lot, but I think there's so much unused potential. They could have applied the weaknesses from Vampires to Spellcasters as well, and yesterday I realized there are so few gameplay objects in ROM. Especially when comparing it to earlier Magic Packs like TS1 Makin' Magic. They could have really rounded out the pack by adding objects like a dragon egg hatchery, a wand crafting station (or wand charger) , a grinding wheel for magical stones, etc. More fleshed out gameplay could also have done a lot for the overal feeling of the pack. Like a magical recruiter NPC that stops by your house when moving into Glimmerbrook (or other neighborhoods), having to make your first wand in stead of just buying one, magic with wands as an exclusive thing for higher ranks, casting curses becoming available at higher ranks, kids being able to practice magic, etc... Oh and more imaginative spells with new animations.

And the same story with Mermaids. Although I didn't really expect them to be fleshed out because they weren't the focus of the pack.. But an update to those two occults would be very welcome imo.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    It's just typical Sims 4, too much focus on making things look pretty, not enough on making solid gameplay. Unless you're a passionate storyteller with a whole occult storyline there's very little to actually do in these packs.
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited July 2020
    This isn’t an issue exclusive to occults. It’s an issue with TS4’s development as a whole. Nothing they add to the game has much substance, occult content included.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    It's just typical Sims 4, too much focus on making things look pretty, not enough on making solid gameplay. Unless you're a passionate storyteller with a whole occult storyline there's very little to actually do in these packs.

The whole team does not focus on making things look pretty. They have cohesive Art Style, and an art team responsible for it. It all comes down to the Designers designing the pack and producers managing a pack's priority.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I think the lack in supernatural is that we're missing some occult. Like Plant Sims are temporary state, and we've yet to get werewolves. There is also some missed opportunities with both spell casters and mermaids. Overall however, I think what we have so far is fine, just depends on how you play. I still hold out hope that they will bring more into the game as it continues to progress.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited July 2020
    No no, many of us share your sentiment. It doesnt help when occults are always subject to the nerf hammer at a moment's notice and those of us who enjoy AND PAID for occult shenanigans have to shut up and deal with it.

I for one would love it if...

-vampires broke in more often
    -child occults had basic powers of their own (why even designate them as occults if they cant do anything occult)
    -autonomous magic could be performed in ALL worlds (is it so wrong to want a random magic battle to occur in Del Sol Valley?)
    -Plantsims getting a much needed update (I dont even know how to turn a sim into a plantsim without cheats)
    -occult type jobs
    -mermaids having their own area
    -mermaids fulfilling their hunger need just by diving for food
    -ghosts not having needs anymore (they're DEAD! Why do they need to eat?!)
    -human sims have stronger reactions to occult sims (I'd personally like a trait where a human sim is OBSESSED with occults and wants to learn all about them/prove their existence)
    -Magical creatures to care for as pets (I just really want a unicorn ok?)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I think, (and I've said this a gazillion times on these forums,) that another major missing factor is Fear. There is no Fear emotion or Sim fears at all. How ridiculous is that? A Vampire bites a Sim in public and instead of running in terror, Sims get annoyed and lose relationship points with the Vampire. Oh gosh devs, don't be so harsh. How will they ever recover? :|
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    What nerf....
  • Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    What nerf....

Vampire invasions were more common and so were alien abductions. Unfortunately they dramatically cut down on both of those things because realism players complained. Another example is that you won’t see any obvious mermaids in Sulani unless your household knows about them somehow.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    What nerf....

Vampire invasions were more common and so were alien abductions. Unfortunately they dramatically cut down on both of those things because realism players complained. Another example is that you won’t see any obvious mermaids in Sulani unless your household knows about them somehow.

I make a point to have all my main sims know about mermaids. It is great to go to the beach and seeing all the mermaids swim about tails out.

Spellcasters hide themselves outside the realm. No magic out and about unless I make a specific club for it.

Mermaids swimming around freely and openly feels so liberating because they do so on their own.

If I want to see any kind of occult gameplay while playing an ordinary sim I have to set it up myself via a club. I wish there was a corresponding way to get spellcasters to just use their magic and have friendly duels outside of HQ.

I really appreciate the realm and spend quite some time there but in a way it just makes me itch for more.

Imagine if we had two livable lots there in the realm. I love having my occult sims. Aliens have the face-problem but I still love having them.
  • Options
    VodkaVodka Posts: 25 Member
    I know it’s sad :/ idk why they cater to only some of the demographic. This is supposed to be a virtual made up world there should be even distribution between ppl who wanna be realistic with people who want some occult fun.
  • Options
    AlpineCuriosityAlpineCuriosity Posts: 2,521 Member

😍 I’d LOVE to have more mystery and supernatural stuff going on in my game - You know, more intriguing gameplay that unfolds slowly as you go along ^^ And I do miss pumpkin spiced recipes a lot too...

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I wish we had more darkness.
  • Options
    Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    I guess my main problem with the occult sims is that there's nothing to really do. They're basically just regulars sims once you look past their "quirks".
    Vampires suck blood and dislike garlic, Spellcasters cast spells and fly on brooms, and mermaids swim and splash around... that's about it.
    It would have been nice if their worlds were more fleshed out and had specific occult activities to do.
    eg: being able to go to places under the ocean if your sim is a mermaid.

Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    > @InuMiroLover said:
    > No no, many of us share your sentiment. It doesnt help when occults are always subject to the nerf hammer at a moment's notice and those of us who enjoy AND PAID for occult shenanigans have to shut up and deal with it.
    >
    > I for one would love it if...
    >
    > -vampires broke in more often
    > -child occults had basic powers of their own (why even designate them as occults if they cant do anything occult)
    > -autonomous magic could be performed in ALL worlds (is it so wrong to want a random magic battle to occur in Del Sol Valley?)
    > -Plantsims getting a much needed update (I dont even know how to turn a sim into a plantsim without cheats)
    > -occult type jobs
    > -mermaids having their own area
    > -mermaids fulfilling their hunger need just by diving for food
    > -ghosts not having needs anymore (they're DEAD! Why do they need to eat?!)
    > -human sims have stronger reactions to occult sims (I'd personally like a trait where a human sim is OBSESSED with occults and wants to learn all about them/prove their existence)
    > -Magical creatures to care for as pets (I just really want a unicorn ok?)

Oh My Stars! Now I sooo want a Unicorn! And a mini-dragon, naturally. They could even make them small, like dog size, and use some of the dog/cat animations. The rest of your list is really good, too.

I also miss FEAR. Why don't sims get scared to death anymore?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    There needs to be Fairies & Werewolves.
    It's too weird to make a Vampire sim into a fake Werewolf or a Spellcaster with tattoo wings into a fake Fairy.