Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Next time i play i'm gonna play with aging off! Why do you always play with aging off?

Comments

• Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    I always play with aging off. As long as i've storys to tell they'll live, and i always have something to happen for them. - that is if i could play my save(s) that the pre EL patch broke. seriously i wish they'd get their manure together and finally fix this issue.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    S3bSterS3bSter Posts: 32 Member
    [quote="Twicelikey;c-17554554"]Because the thought of seeing my Sim die hurts way more than I'm willing to admit...so I have aging turned off for her, but everyone around her ages. [/quote]

Its all that time and investment.

But imagine that legacy they leave when they come back as a ghost!
    😁

Alternatively, plead with the Grim Reaper and Play fight with them! 😂
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Here's my strategy:

1) Start initial sim(s).
    2) Turn aging off.
    3) Enjoy current sims as they gain skills and promotions etc.
    4) Once they are where I want them, and have no further goals, turn aging back on.
    5) Maybe have another kid. Let existing sims age up.
    6) Repeat from item 2.

Aging is mostly off so I have time to enjoy my sims lives. Even on the longest setting, they age up well before I'd like.

Maybe, in the future, they add a "Realistic" option. The time an in-game year takes is perfect, but I'd like to actually see ages. 3 years old, 15, 23, 65, etc, and have them age up in the right year. Now that would be fantastic.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited June 2020
    I always play with aging off.

I don't have a set goal for my household. I don't do challenges or play by any rules. I simply have this little family that I go and spend some time with when I want to.

Maybe I have an idea of some things that want them to try out or achieve when I load up a save. But nothing is set in stone, and I have no need to exercise a whole lot of control over my Sims. At most, I like to help them do their things in a more sensible manner, than they often try to on their own.

I also don't have a story going on. It's more like, I open the game and ask my little family - what shall we do today, my friends?

Also, the more time, I spend with the same Sims, the more their personality "develop" in my head. The more unique and their own character they become. I love that. It's just like the more you read about or watch someone real or a fictive character, the more familiar they become. That's exactly what I want from playing this game. Besides having all the fun of trying out sometimes crazy things.

Playing with aging off and the same household(s) is a way for me to sit down and catch up interactively with a favorite TV show. The episodes are sometimes connected and sometimes not.

:)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2020
    I have never once played with aging on because I play like I'm writing a novel. I love my sims, invest so much time and care into them. And some are characters I made for an actual novel I'm writing so I feel attached to them.
    I don't want to do generations so I want to keep the same sims forever.

Basically time never moves forward in my game. Every play session is like one sim day in my imagination. And they have an endless amount of life to explore and do everything life offers them until I decide one needs to age or die. Which will probably never happen lol

I actually never understand how people move on generation to generation 😅😅😅😅 it would pain me to see them go.

I've been playing the same sims (added more though) since day one for years in the same save. I rotate main families so no sim has ever done everything there is to do. I play very very slooooowly lol. And even if he did I would probably just cheat his stats down and start all over just to keep him lol.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Honestly, because I don't like dealing with death. The whole point and challenge of the game, in my opinion, is to try to be as successful as possible before you croak all the while leaving a successful lineage, but I have implemented a more or less sandbox style of play. I keep trying to do a save with aging on, but keep switching it off within a couple of Sim days of play.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Never play with aging off. I play legacy families so they need to age, especially my decades challenge. I do modify the age length via mods, but I only make each each age stage to last only 2 times normal setting. The long setting is about 4 times the normal setting which is too long. Some people are attached to certain sims and don't want them to die, I am not type.
  • Options
    @NorthDakotaGamer Well, good for you. But this thread is not really about one thing versus another :)

• Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited June 2020
    I always play with ageing off, I'm not a family player so I guess I just like my sims to stay young forever. Recently I've been focusing my gameplay around packs so I just go between packs, play in their worlds and try to achieve all the ambitions that came with them and then i move onto the next pack
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    @NorthDakotaGamer Well, good for you. But this thread is not really about one thing versus another :)

Some people did answer that played with aging on. To my theory, unless you are the type to make a super sim or are extremely attached as some are to one sim, that is the only real reason to play with aging off. Tried it and got bored.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Nindigo wrote: »

Some people did answer that played with aging on. To my theory, unless you are the type to make a super sim or are extremely attached as some are to one sim, that is the only real reason to play with aging off. Tried it and got bored.

If that's your theory, then that's your theory. I only hope you don't mean to come off as condescending towards those who play differently or break your theory. I kind of feel it's important to read what OP intends with their thread instead of just copying other people's behavior - as that may be inappropriate and you risk copying it :)

Well, back on topic! *poof*

• Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I play with aging off because I don't want elders to die. No death in game unless I choose. Also, I want control over when a Sim ages up. I can choose which NPC kids grow up with my Sims. I have MCCC so all the babies stay babies until I go and age them up. It's a good way to keep kids and teens in my game.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    First of all, many thanks everybody! Thank you for your imput. It was very helpful!

So, here's how it is going for me: today i've spent all afternoon playing with aging off. I'm enjoying it a lot!

I play legacies. I love too see generations coming and going, watching how they develop over time. Although i do get attached sometimes to an infividual sim, the legacy is what i get more attached to.

I've found that none of the lifespans in game are good for me. I've also tried mods that allowed me to costumize lifespans. Even so, i wasn't satisfied. I have some children that i have a lot of plans and stories in my mind to do with, and there are others that i just want to age quickly. This happens with children and all others. Elders, ya, adults... and very often. I just have different stories for each sim and one lifespan for all doesn't work.

So aging off is working perfectly for me. I played normally. All my sims aged at least once during the hours i've played, but only when i was satisfied. I loved it! Stories on my mind got done.

The only issue i've found was when my elder did everything that i've planned for him (and some unpredictable stuff that happened) and then i wanted her to die. I couldn't find a way. The birthday cake doesnt age/kill elders. So i used ui cheats. I've sent her to her bedroom, pushed all her motives to red and locked the door. Then she died almost immediatly.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited June 2020
    @telmarina I think you can also kill your sim with testingcheats and then shift-clicking on your sim. There should be a 'kill...' option somewhere and you can choose the death type.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Duvelina wrote: »
    @telmarina I think you can also kill your sim with testingcheats and then shift-clicking on your sim. There should be a 'kill...' option somewhere and you can choose the death type.

@Duvelina i thought about that too. I did all that but the option doesn't show. There are two options when i shift click a sim that doesn't have any words on it... and the others show and work, like reset sim...
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    @telmarina Huh. Weird. I've seen it a couple days ago still, but I don't have the recent patches either so it might be that something changed?
  • Options
    Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    @telmarina
    Elders can die of overexertion, if you have them exercise (or woohoo) more than once right in a row.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,574 Member
    The only time(s) I have ever played with aging off was back in my Sims2 days, when you only had one length of gameplay. In Sims4, the only time I play with aging off is when I have kids in uni, so that they don't lose half of their lifetime getting their degrees. Mostly, I play on LONG and I age up my Sims when I choose. I played on Normal when I did the Pinstar Legacy Challenge, but that's just too dern short to fully appreciate all that a Sim can do in their meager short lives. I don't worry about their dying. If things go horribly wrong, I just restart the family. Yeah, I know I get caught in a tape-loop, of sorts doing that, but when you love your Sims and you want them to experience the new packs, et al, then you save a copy of them in My Library and begin a brand new game save … Yeah, I AM the Queen of ReStarts.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2020
    Days for me go by too quickly and I usually play a lot of sims at the same time and can't take care of each of their goals all the time.
    If I don't turn aging off sometimes they age up before I've done everything I wanted in a certain lifestage.

So I usually just turn aging off do most of the things I want for that life stage and turn it back on again after I'm ready to see them age up! :)
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    @Duvelina i think that something is wrong in my game. Tomorrow i'll repair to see if it helps. I have 2 options that don't show and even if i click on them they don't work...

If someone knows how to help pls do it :)
  • Options
    BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    If you have the wishing well from Romantic Gardens you can get your elders to die by using that and wishing to progress to the next life state. Or woohoo them to death, most of mine leave the game with a smile on their face. I also play with aging off because I like control, I pick out my favourite families, play them in rotation and turn the time on for the world on the very last family, so the whole world ages up a week. My real favourites I flag with MCCC as immortal because if Baby Ariel gets to live forever, well so should my favourites...or I make them vampires. Losing Sims can depress me for days which is daft because they are just little pixels but what can I say I get attatched and when the pets die, oh that's even worse. I blubbed like a fish when I lost the first dog so that was the end of that, immortal pets or no pets! Lifes cycle may include death but no dead dogs in my game thanks :D
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited June 2020
    @Bloosmoo wrote: »
    Or woohoo them to death, most of mine leave the game with a smile on their face.

...is this a thing?

If so, this old fool has yet a lot to learn...
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    edited June 2020
    I've read that the death flower bouquet with the death flower fragrance as a gift can kill your elders too, but I've never tried it. Maybe I should do this one day?!
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I play on long life span, but I think I’m going to use MCCC to make toddlers, children and teens live one calendar year, young adults and adults live two calendar years, and elders to live one calendar year. I take my time with each life stage, I hate feeling rushed when I play my Sims game, especially when I play with larger household I need as much time as possible to progress in each sims lives with their careers, relationships, ambitions, skills, etc.
  • Options
    stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    I usually play with aging off when my Sims have 6 kids in the house. I turn it off and enjoy the challenge of playing with 6 kids for awhile. I also turn it off for the same reason when they are teens. It’s the challenge that I like. It allows me to build up their skill, too. And, I’ve turned aging off so my adult sims can make more money before they get too old, so I can buy a bigger house for them. I used to play until my YA dime had a fully fledged writing career and was making a lot of money every day.