Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims scooting over in bed?

My sims have never been able to scoot over in bed if the bed was against the wall. With the June 2020 update, they sometimes do it. Does anybody know if there is a way to consistently get my sims to scoot over? Also, a little while ago, I stopped being able to assign the sides of beds to my sims - they can only claim beds now.
I thought about putting this on the help section, but I thought it was more of a discussion. Feel free to move it if necessary, though.

Comments

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    I've seen people say they do it now, but mine have yet to. I'd love to know how!
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Mine have always done it... but only if you tell them to AFTER they are already lying down in the bed... you have to get them in the first side first and in that split second you have between them getting into bed and actually falling asleep, that's when you click the far side of the bed and tell them to sleep again. Not sure if that helps at all.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I've never seen my sims do this. For a long time I didn't even know this was possible in the Sims 4. Does this only work when sims are napping?
  • Options
    bixters wrote: »
    I've never seen my sims do this. For a long time I didn't even know this was possible in the Sims 4. Does this only work when sims are napping?
    See my post above for instructions, works for sleeping for sure, never tried for naps
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I just claimed the side of the bed today, so that is still working. I’ve never seen a Sim scoot over, though.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Had some pictures I took some time back with sims scooting on the bed when against the wall.
    MoE0Lyf.png
    Hu3J1C5.png
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    I just claimed the side of the bed today, so that is still working. I’ve never seen a Sim scoot over, though.

The scooting over has been in the game since the very start. I tried it very recently, still works, but they don't do it without you telling them to :)

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

The scooting over has been in the game since the very start. I tried it very recently, still works, but they don't do it without you telling them to :)

I remember seeing a thread on twitter with Englishsimmer not so long ago and some sim gurus and it seems like it was in the game. It was removed for a good little while and now it seems like it's back I guess.

I have never been able to get a sim to scoot but I haven't tried since all these latest updates either.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    _000key_000key Posts: 168 Member
    I had so many issues that I never put the bed to the wall again. They don't do it.
  • Options
    Camkat wrote: »

I remember seeing a thread on twitter with Englishsimmer not so long ago and some sim gurus and it seems like it was in the game. It was removed for a good little while and now it seems like it's back I guess.

I have never been able to get a sim to scoot but I haven't tried since all these latest updates either.

I don't believe it ever was removed, it's always worked for me, but HOW you scoot was changed or something if I recall right. So people thought it was removed because what they originally did didn't work, until someone discovered it still worked a diff way.. I could be wrong on that though, if it was broken for awhile with a patch or something it was very brief.
  • Options

I don't believe it ever was removed, it's always worked for me, but HOW you scoot was changed or something if I recall right. So people thought it was removed because what they originally did didn't work, until someone discovered it still worked a diff way.. I could be wrong on that though, if it was broken for awhile with a patch or something it was very brief.

I can't find her post now. :/ I did find one from April though and James Turner asking if it would be fixed and it'd been broken since 2015. :D I did find that bug report too... So maybe I remembered her post wrong. I've never seen it in my game ever work, any which way, and sometimes the option wasn't even there so... guess I've had that bug... I didn't play before 2015 so I never did see it work. :'(
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I can't find her post now. :/ I did find one from April though and James Turner asking if it would be fixed and it'd been broken since 2015. :D I did find that bug report too... So maybe I remembered her post wrong. I've never seen it in my game ever work, any which way, and sometimes the option wasn't even there so... guess I've had that bug... I didn't play before 2015 so I never did see it work. :'(

Yep haha but it was working LONG before April, I've been doing it since I played (I started Jan 2017 right after toddlers came out) regularly, without mods. There is NEVER an "option" to scoot though. You just use the normal "sleep" option clicking on the bed to do it.
  • Options

Yep haha but it was working LONG before April, I've been doing it since I played (I started Jan 2017 right after toddlers came out) regularly, without mods. There is NEVER an "option" to scoot though. You just use the normal "sleep" option clicking on the bed to do it.

That's what I meant, however, now I'm wondering if I've never been fast enough at clicking that! Honestly, I haven't tried in ages and gave up since it never worked before. I should give it a go again and just see next time I play.

• Options

That's what I meant, however, now I'm wondering if I've never been fast enough at clicking that! Honestly, I haven't tried in ages and gave up since it never worked before. I should give it a go again and just see next time I play.

Hope it works for you! If not, the only thing I can think of is that it affects some people and not others. You do have to click really fast though (I'm guessing you didn't before it broke but I didn't play back then) so maybe computers speed or lag affects it too.
  • Options

Hope it works for you! If not, the only thing I can think of is that it affects some people and not others. You do have to click really fast though (I'm guessing you didn't before it broke but I didn't play back then) so maybe computers speed or lag affects it too.

I'm going to try pausing it! It can't be too fast then! haha but yeah, thinking on it, if they're already asleep it's not going to work and I often do have it on speed 3... I feel like I had tried that before, I'm sure I was one of the glitched ones. A lot of people are reporting that it is indeed working again though so maybe I'm one of them. I'm just curious now is all. I really don't care if they can't, I've gone this long without the feature. ;)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    With double beds you should be able to assign a side to a Sim. I've never seen it possible with a twin bed. But then again, two in a twin bed is pretty uncomfortable. :open_mouth: As for them scooting to the other side, I haven't seen this in a long time. I was wondering when the code for it got changed and/or removed.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    HyalophoraHyalophora Posts: 29 Member
    It only works for me (currently) if I have them relax on one side of bed, then instruct them to relax on the other side of the bed, then they scoot over and can sleep on that side.
  • Options
    Just_PeachyJust_Peachy Posts: 50 Member
    How do your sims relax on a side of the bed? Sometimes whenever my sims first wake up, they'll relax over the covers for a second, but then they just get up...
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Hyalophora wrote: »
    It only works for me (currently) if I have them relax on one side of bed, then instruct them to relax on the other side of the bed, then they scoot over and can sleep on that side.

There’s a relax interaction on beds?
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

There’s a relax interaction on beds?

They just misspoke in meaning nap. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Did anyone try it yet? I should note that, while it's always worked for me, I have NOT tried it since the last patch or the one before. Since Covid started I've been off work (where I usually play Sims) so I haven't had much playtime yet, maybe only 30min total since mid-March, so havne't done it since then.
  • Options
    Just_PeachyJust_Peachy Posts: 50 Member
    I tested it, and it worked for me! :D
  • Options
    HyalophoraHyalophora Posts: 29 Member
    Haha, now I'm questioning everything. I swore I'd see my Sims "relaxing" in bed all the time, but now I can't make it happen intentionally. Anyway, I did some extensive testing between the sit, nap, and sleep commands, as well as testing whether sitting on the bed already or standing would have an impact, and... it just isn't consistent. I got them (from originally standing) to get on the bed and scoot over to the wall side for a nap twice in a row, then not again for the next 30 tries. They scooted over once for a full sleep (not sure if standing or sitting) and then never again for about 30 tries. It did work the most for me in the first few attempts, but when I tested for consistency, they never did it again. Being less tired is the only variable that changed. While unlikely, maybe they wouldn't scoot over when they knew they'd sleep less time? It's a relevant mechanic to the current couple I'm playing, so I'll do some passive testing whenever they're together.
  • Options
    I got it to work! I haven't tried it more than three times yet, but so far all three tries works. Seems like I'm fixed? I don't want to say too much in case I break it again. :p

It's not a deal breaker for me though if this works or not, but it is a nice feature to have working in smaller homes.
  • Options
    EnnaelEnnael Posts: 86 Member
    edited June 2020
    I just witnessed my Sim autonomously go to bed and scoot over to his side when there was no need to, both sides are open. He went to his wife's side and scooted to his side and got in. I have never seen that before, it must be new.
    Edit- Well shoot, I guess his side actually was blocked. There's a bassinet there that never blocked his way before but now it does, so now he always goes to the other side and scoots over.

As for my Sims who have a double bed against a wall and assigned to the wall side, I never see them scoot over anymore, and haven't been able to make them do it, when they used to do it every time since being able to assign sides. Whenever I click their assigned side of the bed (the wall side) and tell them to sleep, they just keep sleeping in the wrong side now. I haven't watched to see if they still do it autonomously though.
    Edit- After testing, I can confirm that with beds against a wall and the wall side is assigned, clicking that side and telling them to sleep makes them sleep on the open side anyway. But when they go autonomously, or when you click the Zz's in the needs panel, they go to the open side and scoot over like they should.
    Post edited by Ennael on
    50617862938_30d24ee877_o.gif