Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you not get bored of a family?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    lakirelakire Posts: 75 Member
    @vancanuckfan86 I'll try this! Thank you for the tips!
  • Options
    hellokitty1496hellokitty1496 Posts: 243 Member
    I usually put tons of effort into making my sims look good, whether or not they're imperfect, I try to give them some sort of personality from their sense of fashion to their way of living. If I want to spoil them, I'll treat them to alpha wear or I'll redecorate some things or have them interact with someone who shares their opposite interests. I'll rebuild their home(s) or the neighborhoods around them. Anything creative-wise I will try. Adding some fun mods ain't never hurt nobody either ;)
  • Options
    Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    I usually have them join a club (I have Get Together) and turn up or I have them make a lot of friends and have them over a bunch.
    Unless I'm wanting to be chaotic and then I have some sort of scandal lol
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~
  • Options
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I like generational play so for me that keeps it fun. I love seeing how my families evolve over different generations. I also play rotational as well so for me I'm often switching families.

I like playing like that too. The farthest I've made is 11 generations before I lost my save.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    This could be what's at the heard of my countless restarts! I do miss some of the upward struggle, but not with finances as my Cantrell family are quite rich. I follow the second son's music career as he strives to become famous. I restarted again recently, to see if I can't put into practice what others have done that reaped a Starlight Accolade for one in the music career. Erik has, indeed, won one, when he chose to explore the acting career, but it's just not the same. His first love is music. I want him to win the coveted Simmy (think Grammy) for his outstanding music. It's this struggle that keeps me glued to this family. LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I find I get bored with larger families if I don't have a focal character and am just taking care of their needs without a "story" taking place. It happened recently with one of the households in my rotation, but one of the sims has just moved out, and I know another one will die soon as she's an elder, so it will be easier to focus on the rest next time round. I'll have to choose which of the remaining sims is my favourite and work on their story.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    GracelishGracelish Posts: 114 Member
    edited June 2020
    A happy sim family that is happy all the time can get mundane quick. Add drama, even if it hurts. It becomes entertaining and can lead you into wanting to invest more in the story.

Here are my personal tips:

1. Ensure that all sims in the household have different traits. Make them stand out from each other and give some chances to the traits you don't normally use. In my personal experience, I used to give idealistic traits and always the good, outgoing, family-oriented, romantic traits (and so on...) Using similar traits for everyone can make it boring. So make someone hot-headed, jealous, hates children (bonus if they have children or will have children). This is sure to stir some trouble automatically because it inspires conflict.

2. Have rivalry from the very beginning. Neighbors that hate each other for whatever reason you want. If you have Get Together pack, rival clubs. With Get To Work/Dine Out, have people with opposing businesses/shops/restaurants. I like to have rival club leaders become besties or form romantic relationships. Same thing with the kids of opposing families.

3. Have exciting lots around town, and go out! Being motivated to go out with your sims gives opportunity to have unplayed sims enter your story.

4. In a crowd of interacting sims, pause and observe. Especially when my sims are out having a party or tearing up the dance floor at the nightclub. You might notice some drama unfolding all by itself, you just need to look closely at different sim expressions and behaviours.

5. Force yourself to give attention to the sim(s) you're neglecting. Because maybe, a family becomes boring when you've spent all your focus getting the couple together. And once they popped out three kids, you feel stagnant and unsure of what to do. Did you spend too much time with the father's career? Is it time for the prodigal son to step away from his father's footsteps and do everything he can to leave the household for good, make a name for himself? Or shall the middle-child finally pick up that paintbrush? Did the mom have a troubled past and needs to make amends? Atonement for sins, or is she going to go back to her old ways of whatever it was she used to do prior to the marriage?

But then what? Which sim do I pay attention to? There's too many possibilities!

6. ...Cycle through. Pay attention to one sim for a while, then go to the next. You might find one sim's story more challenging or interesting, and that's perfectly OK. It's all about finding what gives you the most interest to continue on with the family, and perhaps let the sim venture forth and gasp...start a new family.

I feel like what works best when you're in a slump and don't know what to do, is to let the game do its thing. Take inspiration from there. Sometimes the autonomous actions your sims do can give you ideas. Maybe you have to give your sims a nudge, but usually, they end up doing something that can spark more drama.

Enjoy playing!
    here's hoping we collide
  • Options
    KaylaxCapersKaylaxCapers Posts: 69 Member
    @shanls96 That's a very good question, I always find that once I've maxed their skills/career, I don't know what else to do with them and simply move on, which is so sad!

You could always try creating a spinner wheel or number generator with some different options on it to see what you're gonna do next with your sims family...the trouble is thinking of exciting things to go on it!
  • Options
    Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Create unnecessary drama just for my entertainment and play out a story. I also have mods which help because it opens up my storytelling to more things.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    All of my Sims are nice to each other, although a few might pull pranks on other Sims. I don’t have any fights or rivalries or affairs. But I use cc, keep aging off, and play rotationally I was feeling restless today, so I played about four different households within just a couple of hours. I try not to read too much about packs so the game always feels fresh and exciting to me. I love watching my Sims, their families, and their houses evolve. One of my Sims rushed into marriage, and I had him move all his stuff into her perfect little house. I thought it might cause a little tension, but her house just ended up looking more alive and welcoming. Stuff like that keeps the game fun for me. When I’m particularly bored, I’ll just tour my main family’s house. It’s wonderful exploring all the memories, like, “There’s the painting one daughter did of another daughter when they were living there.” “There’s the gifts the parents got at their wedding.”
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    LibertyTheFreeLibertyTheFree Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2020
    Little details that matter. I like to spend a plenty of my time doing little tweaks, boot a small quirk on my sims' appearance, give a new color to their clothes, do a better defined style on them etc.

It does bring me closer to my sim, a feeling, they are my creation, and that I worked to make things better :) keeps me going many of the times.

Also consider traveling and vacationing, these are all good opportunities to explore with our sims!

PS. Now that I come to think of it, writing or doing artworks on them is a great way to form some bonds with sims too. It's what I did, right? :wink:
    AxxYIX4.png
  • Options
    ValeahValeah Posts: 98 Member
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    Don’t play as much. I only play an hour a day, occasionally two.

Don’t take it too seriously. Have a plan for your sims, but be flexible. Life, even a simulated one, can throw a curveball. Adjust your plans. Allow for the unseeable.

Once, back in sims 3, my kid’s babysitter stole my main sims motorcycle. I had him see her on the side, then stole it back.

Ah... Motorcycles; I miss them. I loved 'The Beast'.
    I have the same problem, I get bored with household's so easily. I usually give up and start a new household.
    Interestingly, I didn't have the same problem in The Sims 3. But I won't get into that now.
  • Options
    PS. Now that I come to think of it, writing or doing artworks on them is a great way to form some bonds with sims too. It's what I did, right? :wink:

Do you write stories about your Sims? (Also love your profile pic)
  • Options
    Just_PeachyJust_Peachy Posts: 50 Member
    Usually, when I'm getting bored of normal gameplay, I start a new game and just make it complete chaos - drama, death, etc. - and then I find myself wanting to go back to my normal family :D
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Well, if you're like me, you download the Slice of Life mod, leave a sim alone for five minutes and she ends up risky woohooing with the neighbor while her boyfriend's downstairs... and ends up pregnant.
  • Options
    shanls96shanls96 Posts: 321 Member
    One thing I’ve really found to be useful for more advanced realistic gameplay is the srslysim cooking overhaul mod.

I love the chore of having to send my sims shopping for food and not allowing them to cook meals unless they have bought said ingredients.
  • Options
    LibertyTheFreeLibertyTheFree Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2020
    Do you write stories about your Sims? (Also love your profile pic)

Actually, no. I'd rather not because whatever stories that I express through writing seems just so bleak, so lacking in any cohesive theme, they drag on and on, I always tried to cover everything and ended up covering nothing! Better off sketching. At least then I'll know what I would focus on :blush: (besides, English isn't really my native... though I mostly had forgotten that one, too) Still, I certainly would like to see that change, so if anyone have resources on better writing I'd love to hear them.

Regardless, I will say it again that, if it seems like you can't engage in the game, try starting a project of sorts, writing, artwork or a new building(renovating too) in and around the Sims. If that doesn't work, it's not a bad thing to go back IRL. Gotta take care of real yourself too :lol:
    AxxYIX4.png
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    shanls96 wrote: »
    I’ve recently started a new save with a singular sim but I’m having that trouble where I’m becoming easily bored of the family. My sim just got married and had their first child and all that exciting jazz but I’m having trouble with what to do next or how to twist the story to become more attached

My question is... what do you do to spice your game up when you’re beginning to feel a little bored of the current family.

I play in short lifespan. It works for me.
  • Options
    SimmerOfAgesSimmerOfAges Posts: 97 Member
    Try wrecking their lives. (I'm not sadistic in real life, promise.) Try a wheel spin, and add horrible and maybe, MAYBE some good things. That'll 'spice' things up. XD
    My gallery ID is BrynnasaurousRex, as is my YouTube channel