Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What does it take for Sims 4 to be finished?

StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
edited June 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Some comments I see say we arent ready for Sims 5 since Sims 4 "isn't finished" despite the 6 year time span (much longer than previous iterations).

I personally am ready to move on to Sims 5. In my opinion, what I see wrong with Sims 4 cannot be 'fixed' with more expansions or packs.

What do you think needs to happen before Sims 5 is introduced?
Do you think Sims 4 can be fixed? How long do you think is necessary?

This discussion is for people who believe Sims 4 needs some added content or changes for it to satisfy them, not people who already satisfied with the game.
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on

Comments

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I'm ready for TS5, but I think it needs to be done VERY VERY correctly. TS1-4 has had enough of the same EPs to the point now where Maxis should know what needs to be in the base game. Stuff like pets, universities, downtown areas, apartments, laundry, fame, witches/vampires/occults, live jobs - it's been done enough now and is constantly requested to the point where this kind of content needs to be base game, and not EP material. That's the only way the Sims can really evolve. A lot of the repeat packs that we see pop up each generation of the game needs to be consolidated into the base game so that some truly new and unique EPs can be produced that add whole different experiences to the game. There are SO MANY avenues that they could have been exploring in TS4 that they really couldn't because core elements of gameplay that players loved from previous iterations of The Sims hadn't been added yet. So yeah, I have some really HIGH expectations for TS5, and I'd rather they take a lot of time getting the base game perfect than rush into it. If that means buying time by extending the lifespan of TS4, I'm 100% ok with that. But I REALLY REALLY want to avoid the shortcomings of TS4 base game, like a launch with no toddlers, no pools or basements, none of the common NPCs (firefighters, burglars, repomen), and really underdeveloped life stages like Teen. They've stepped in that pile of poop already, so they should already know how to avoid it for TS5's base game.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    It feels mostly complete to me now tbh, but there's a lot of bonus stuff I'd like to have.

1. Nonmutual relationships
    2. Free babies
    3. Preschoolers/Preteens
    4. More family relationships recognized
    5. Hotels
    6. Just more fun themed packs (alpine world, generations etc)
    7. Tweaking of mourning system

If the game was to end tomorrow, I'd be content with how it is and play it for many more years, def. would not get Sims 5, Sims 4 is fantastic and no need to pay over again...

However, the more the better, and I'd be even happier if it continued for another 5 years just getting more packs.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The only thing that it needs to be finished in my opinion is having sims with actual personality, memories, turn on and turn offs, interests, and everything else that would separate them from each other.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Unless they are gonna overhaul the personalities, memories, and stuff...
    I say other than that....it's quite done and complete...time to move on to TS5.
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    There is still a lot they can do to continue the game. First, improvements like the ones they've asked about in the last surveys, enhancing emotions and character so that they actually impact the sims for more than moodlets alone, family-, age- and general gameplay.

Second there are so much themes they could dive into and i think Eco Lifestyle was a big step in this direction, giving Sims (and players) more things to do and experience ingame. Also, more Occult Sims that go for more than looks, using skilltree development like the Vampires or Get Famous, that actually make sense (ability/weaknesses, motives).

Imho the most important point is to continuously improve the general gameplay mechanics, get rid of the weaknesses the game is still showing from the early release of the base game. What would Sims 5 improve? Optics? Engine? Content? Cars because of open World?

What is the worth of that, if it - again - would deal with the gameplay mechanics weaknesses we had at the start of Sims 4. And again years of waiting for specific content, we now already have (at least to some extent). A new roadmap for Sims 5 stretching over years and with which priorities? Saying "Sims 5 will surely have this and that and then some of the things i always wanted right with the base game" is shooting for luck in a big way.

If it doesn't? Years of complaints, same as it has been with Sims 4 now. No thanks, i really prefer them working on and improving this iteration of the game at least for the next couple of years. There is no "done" until new things won't fit in or work with the present engine anymore.

For my part i can do without open world or cars, if i want to drive around i go and play GTA or similar games, where buildings are more cosmetics than anything else, except for story critical locations. And i surely don't need an online feature as Sims 5 might also have. I enjoy spending time in my "own little world"

That's my 2 cent on the topic.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    1. Werewolves, proper plantsims, genies, and fairies.

2. More gameplay for Children, Teens, and Elders (either as patches or GP's).

3. Unnatural hair colors for Children and Toddlers.

4. Burglars and Cop NPC's.

5. Paintable ceilings and spiral staircases.

6. Bikes that Children can actually ride.

7. Cars.

And that's the bare minimum of features added that would allow me to feel satisfied that TS4 is actually finished. It's not a huge list, folks. I'm not talking about a freaking farm, or even fixing the balance on the emotion system. It's just a handful of missing features that the game feels really incomplete without. Finish out this basic content, and I'll have no problem with them moving on to TS5. I'll be watching Paralives' development instead, thanks to all the talk about TS5 being a massively multiplayer online affair. Anyone yearning for TS5 should be watching that game instead too, since EA clearly has no appreciation for longtime simmers and is more concerned with chasing 12-year-old Suzie's birthday money...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited June 2020
    I still feel TS4 has a lot of potential and I hope it continues to improve for a while yet. Some of the features I would like to see added/developed include:

- Werewolves! I would also like fairies, hybrids, updated ghosts, and underwater gameplay for mermaids, but werewolves are a must. My game will always feel incomplete without them as a worthy rival for my vampires.
    - Improved personalities, relationships, and interactions.
    - Improved romance (I really miss my couples cuddling in bed and slow dancing) and weddings.
    - Free babies and more gameplay for toddlers, children, teens, and elders.
    - Horses with a horse riding skill and racing events.
    - More musical instruments e.g. upright pianos, lutes, harps etc. and bands.
    - More hobbies e.g. origami, embroidery etc.
    - Random objects like exercise bikes, dumbbells, tea sets etc.
    - Hotels and rented holiday homes.
    - More worlds based on different parts of our world. I would especially like something that feels a little more like my home in the UK and something Mediterranean inspired.
    - More 'every day' careers and playable NPC careers e.g. librarian, repairman etc.
    - Cars and carpools.
    - Burglar and police NPCs.

...and a lot more that I'm probably forgetting, but these are the first things that come to mind.
    Post edited by annaliese39 on
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    FEAR.

The Sims need a fracking Fear emotion and personal fears and phobias. I'm just constantly astounded that more people haven't noticed this huge gap in the emotion system. It's killin' me.

And yeah, personalities of course. Traits that actually dictate behaviors. A trait overhaul.

How about Aspirations that actually make sense, not just a replacement for the abandoned whims? Aspirations that are actually life goals like they're supposed to be, not game tutorials.

Speaking of Whims...what happened there? Past games always had them and there's a reward system connected to them so why have they been kicked aside and hidden? Why haven't they been overhauled to reflect a Sim's personal traits?

Flaws. Sims need flaws. Something that works like Rewards but earns points when you buy them because they hinder your Sim in some way. Sims need to be interesting and as diverse in personality as they are in looks.

Personal preferences. How is it that Sims have absolutely no specifics that attract them to another Sim? I want to see Sims who like specific hair or eye colors, specific talents, specific age groups or colors or behaviors. Turn-ons and Turn-offs. My God, the romance system is practically null and void in this game.

Start with any one of these and the game will finally start to feel like it has substance. And once three or four of these features have been actually implemented, we can revisit whether the game feels complete or not.

Seriously though. Fear. For real.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    For me Sims 4 won't be completed until there's:
    Archaeology Career
    Bands
    Fairies
    Generations
    Genies
    Heartshape beds
    Horses
    Honeymoon Resorts
    Living in the Future
    Living in the Past
    Medieval
    Moonlight Falls World
    Other Planets
    Plantsim full lifestate
    Playable Babies
    Romance better interactions
    Singing Career
    Spiral Stairs
    Time Traveling
    Werewolves

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't have a wish list of packs or things I want. I want the Sim to be more than a bunch of buffs on a screen. If they don't know what that means after six years of telling them then they never will. Some forget this game was $80 and $60 at release. I would assume those who got it for free think it's pretty fantastic, but at $80 for base and or $60 for base, at the time of release (still) it's limitations of Sim personality is glaring.

There is nothing they can do after six years to make it 'better' after fifty packs, loads of money thrown at it, and dozens of patches that only serve to break more. It wasn't free, some didn't even buy it on sale, but gave them $80 or the $60 (without the deluxe party pack) and we are still not happy with base. It's time to let it go and stop throwing money into a money pit which seems to be the abyss. There's nothing down there.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    It will never be finished.
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited June 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't have a wish list of packs or things I want. I want the Sim to be more than a bunch of buffs on a screen. If they don't know what that means after six years of telling them then they never will. Some forget this game was $80 and $60 at release. I would assume those who got it for free think it's pretty fantastic, but at $80 for base and or $60 for base, at the time of release (still) it's limitations of Sim personality is glaring.

There is nothing they can do after six years to make it 'better' after fifty packs, loads of money thrown at it, and dozens of patches that only serve to break more. It wasn't free, some didn't even buy it on sale, but gave them $80 or the $60 (without the deluxe party pack) and we are still not happy with base. It's time to let it go and stop throwing money into a money pit which seems to be the abyss. There's nothing down there.

THIS! Despite all the changes, I feel like the 60 euros I paid in 2014 for the base game still not worth it! And its not 30 dlcs that will fix that!
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited June 2020
    ManakoHime wrote: »
    It will never be finished.

I also have this feeling. The Sims 4 is so disappointing that will always feel like something is missing. Somehow It will never feel complete! Speaking for people who know The Sims for a long time. There will always be that gap between The Sims 3 and 4 that we know it will never be fulfilled! The regression is real.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020
    Renato10 wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

THIS! Despite all the changes, I feel like the 60 euros I paid in 2014 for the base game still not worth it! And its not 30 dlcs that will fix that!

lol, six years later they get a repo man? How many years ( I don't remember) did it take to get a nanny and a butler? It was a few years. While they took player's money and released packs no one actually wanted like that party pack and or something just to have a dinner party. Folks forget that didn't used to be free. But then because sales were slipping they turned around and gave it away. ( I still don't have it, missed the deadline). People were so desperate for content and normal stuff like sitting at the dinner table, they paid $15+ for that. While the things Sim can do was jog/workout, paint and write...and guess what, that is still what Sims do in each pack released up to a point. Those three things are used over and over in most packs $100s later.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.