Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So This Is It? After All We've Been Through...

RiverBlossomRiverBlossom Posts: 255 Member
I've always had problems in The Sims 3, and I've always dealt with them. After it started crashing at the family loading screen, I uninstalled and reinstalled. To quote Mike Rostenkowski, "It did not get better." So I uninstalled. Then I remembered I own two copies of the base game, so I tried to install using the other disk. And still, it crashed.
I cannot afford to keep fixing my computer. So, I'm hoping someone can tell me whether my games can still work properly on someone else's PC.
Here is a list of all the glitches I've had:

1.) Sims can occasionally walk through walls and phase through objects; i.e. a headboard.
2.) The game has twice left off at a different saving point than I chose.
3.) Sims sometimes get stuck inside rabbit holes; not even working overtime.
4.) Certain objects have no functional interactions.
5.) The ground is full of gaps.
6.) Cars get stuck on the road.
7.) Sims sometimes walk in the air, or through entire mountains. Sometimes over water.
8.) The Galaxa space car once had headlights floating in front of it.
9.) Objects glitch, too; i.e. air pockets under the blanket, or thought bubbles over an empty igloo.
10.) Sims and pets sometimes stretch way out, with zero CC in the game.
11.) Squares of color appearing beneath the windows on certain angles.
12.) Sims' arms going through their chests, legs bending backwards, etc.
13.) Sims sometimes walk through the floors on invisible steps.
14.) Not all dead Sims get a gravestone. Their ghosts cannot be bound with the Philosopher's Stone.
15.) Snow will sometimes fall for days, but never build up without cheating.
16.) The moon cycle sometimes time travels.
17.) Sims and pets will sometimes merge inside walls and fences, and cannot move.
18.) Entire lots will bulldoze by themselves.
19.) Sims occasionally moonwalk at the top of staircases.
20.) Moodlets that should go forward sometimes go backward, and vice versa; or they are frozen.
21.) Sims are sometimes invisible after work, with their diamond on the floor.
22.) Items have been getting frozen in the inventory; including books and trash piles.
23.) Sims are sometimes unable to use their transportation. They will pace until the action closes.

Among others. If these problems are specific to me, I've been considering getting rid of my games anyway. I know other people can fix the issues. I cannot, and it just hasn't been worth it. The people who have tried helping me, don't seem to realize that I don't know what I'm doing!
Be safe.

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Not sure how many times this needs to be said, but reinstalling the game is rarely the solution (if one is still looking for a solution). Unless we are talking about damaged hardware and recovering from hard drive failures, the game program files do not change over time. The user game files in Documents do and reinstalling does not fix those, if anything it can break them further if the game folder and its saves are left in place during the process. That's why we keep recommending pulling the user game folder out and starting with a fresh one to solve issues that can creep in over time. That doesn't mean abandoning one's saves and content collections on a regular basis, the clean game folder can be kept and the content moved into it a little at a time, then the ongoing game saves, as part of troubleshooting when working on a smaller number of issues at a time.

Very long-running saves will corrupt or just stop functioning after much time has passed. Mods can help prevent that as can game file maintenance and in many cases reacting to odd things as they just begin to happen.

Have we seen a dxdiag report on this system recently? More to the point, can we get a fresh one now? If you could, please run one, post it to Pastebin.com (the free version is fine, no account needed), and provide a link so we can read it.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

The game runs hard on many systems, but it should most certainly not be breaking computers if one takes appropriate steps with one's hardware and recognizes the game's limitations. In order to advise where in the spectrum your gameplay should be falling, we need to know more about what your system currently has and how it is being utilized, which the dxdiag should help tell us.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Yeah, never heard of that. Like I said, I don't know what I'm doing. And as much as I appreciate those who try to help me, I can never follow what they're saying....
    Be safe.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I didn't mean that other helpers and I have said the don't reinstall thing to you specifically, I meant that we have said it so many thousands of times on this forum over the years that we should have it on a typing shortcut key by now.

I can take a stab in the dark if you like. Maybe your hard drive is again too full to be maneuvering properly and servicing the game like it was recenlty.

But without a dxdiag, we can't really say what is going on there and can only make guesses. The game doesn't run that badly for most of us on sufficient hardware. And if you cannot follow the instructions to provide one, perhaps you can get assistance with someone on your end to do so. It's the same with things like frame rate (fps) capping, not bothering with that if one has a strong enough graphics card is known to destroy computers after a while by making them work far too hard for no reason. And when it comes to protecting one's hardware investment, there should be no shame in requiring someone in person or through a screen sharing scenario to help with that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    @RiverBlossom I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with your game, I think I must be on the other side of the spectrum, I've only had one really seriously corrupted save file so far. It was the one that gives this error message:

"A serious error has occurred while loading <name of the savegame>.sims3. It is strongly recommended that you restart the application."

It was beyond repair and had to be abandoned. I've also had half a dozen Error 12's, with very big and old saves, but other than that things are running pretty well for the most part.

Could you possibly provide a DxDiag report on your current computer? It really isn't difficult, just follow the steps in this Help thread, and then copy it all, go to Pastebin.com and paste it in there. Then copy the link and paste it into your reply here.
  • Options
    kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Why are you constantly fixing your computer, that's what I wanna know.
    The Sims 3 is just a badly-coded game. It's not your PC, it's just that the engine is a Rube Goldberg Machine.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @RiverBlossom Just a question, are you experiencing those glitches on a regular basis that makes the game unplayable or is this just a list of glitches you have experienced in general? If the latter is the answer to my question then that's pretty normal, I have experienced about half of the glitches you have on several systems while playing Sims 3.

Some of those are more rare and I have not experienced but maybe that has to do something with you probably playing Sims 3 a lot more than I have (I mostly play TS2 and TS4). Also if you are playing the game on a more modern PC then you could be having additional problems with it 'cause the game is 11 years old by now and not optimised. Sims games are also very glitchy in nature 'cause of the way they are built in order to simulate real life.

Finally, it would be really helpful if you could tell us what your PC specs are. Could you send us a dxdiag? If you don't understand the instructions sent by @igazor then just give us any kind of information you have of your PC (like graphics card name, processor name etc.)
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    @RiverBlossom Just a question, are you experiencing those glitches on a regular basis that makes the game unplayable or is this just a list of glitches you have experienced in general?

I'd say about half of them were experienced on a regular basis.
    If you don't understand the instructions sent by @igazor then just give us any kind of information you have of your PC (like graphics card name, processor name etc.)

I don't know how to do this, either. Every single time I run into a problem, it's always been repaired for me and I've never learned.
    Be safe.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    These are again the instructions to run a dxdiag report and I described above how to get the results to us by way of Pastebin.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

Again if running that report and getting to us is beyond your capacity to do, then by all means try to find some assistance -- meaning someone who will work with you on your end or through remote sessions, not someone who will try to fix everything for you and not explain what is going on. While TS3 is unique in many regards, you may at some point in the future fall in love with a different game and run into hardware related issues if any exist or are providing unexpected limitations. So this experience is not entirely unique to TS3.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    igazor wrote: »
    Again if running that report and getting to us is beyond your capacity to do, then by all means try to find some assistance -- meaning someone who will work with you on your end or through remote sessions, not someone who will try to fix everything for you and not explain what is going on.

Hmm...I don't know anyone like that in real life. They're all very take-charge. I'll probably end up just talking to a computer store employee.
    Be safe.
  • Options
    Liltab1121Liltab1121 Posts: 3,131 Member
    I'd be willing to say that there's no way to know if your game would work on another PC without isolating first the problem with your current PC. Sorry you're having so much trouble trying to play :[
    259g3le.gif
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Again if running that report and getting to us is beyond your capacity to do, then by all means try to find some assistance -- meaning someone who will work with you on your end or through remote sessions, not someone who will try to fix everything for you and not explain what is going on.

Hmm...I don't know anyone like that in real life. They're all very take-charge. I'll probably end up just talking to a computer store employee.

It looks to me that TS3 is NOT the problem here....