Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hey Any Ideas About Off The Grid, How To Power Up Your House!

Used then power generators and still wont power up my house even with the solor panels any ideas on how to power up the house?

Comments

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

Your power usage needs to be less than your power generation. I'll my current household bill as an example:-

2hHRRVq.png

The house is off the grid. It has several wind turbines, solar panels and uses insect houses to fuel the generators. There's only a couple of items in the house that use power - a laptop and a small tv. So the power rate of change is green, showing that the house is generating more than it uses, with 28 units of power in storage.

If you have power producing items but they don't produce enough to completely power your house full time, the Power Rate of Change will be in the red. This will have the effect of your power flickering on and off. Solar panels and wind turbines are weather reliant, (if you have Seasons), so for example, at night your solar panels are not producing and you are reliant on your house surplus to get you through power use til daylight.

Generators need to be switched on and they need to have fuel in them. Fuel can be added either by using bits and pieces or from gathering biofuel from an insect house. They can be upgraded to produce more power.

Many items in your house can now be upgraded to use less power or use an off the grid source, such as the option to use internally stored fuel on some kitchen appliances. Level your handiness and find out what you can do!
  • Options
    joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Thank you for that info!
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    This is one part of the pack that I am really looking forward to trying out. Still cleaning out my CC but when I am done I am looking forward to playing a Off The Grid-Challenge.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    This is one part of the pack that I am really looking forward to trying out.
    Me too, but I'm still editing Lots at the mo. I have made one of my Sulani houses off-the-grid.
  • Options
    chattychat24chattychat24 Posts: 7 New Member
    > @CelSims said:
    > Your power usage needs to be less than your power generation. I'll my current household bill as an example:-
    >
    > (Image)
    >
    >
    > The house is off the grid. It has several wind turbines, solar panels and uses insect houses to fuel the generators. There's only a couple of items in the house that use power - a laptop and a small tv. So the power rate of change is green, showing that the house is generating more than it uses, with 28 units of power in storage.
    >
    > If you have power producing items but they don't produce enough to completely power your house full time, the Power Rate of Change will be in the red. This will have the effect of your power flickering on and off. Solar panels and wind turbines are weather reliant, (if you have Seasons), so for example, at night your solar panels are not producing and you are reliant on your house surplus to get you through power use til daylight.
    >
    > Generators need to be switched on and they need to have fuel in them. Fuel can be added either by using bits and pieces or from gathering biofuel from an insect house. They can be upgraded to produce more power.
    >
    > Many items in your house can now be upgraded to use less power or use an off the grid source, such as the option to use internally stored fuel on some kitchen appliances. Level your handiness and find out what you can do!

Thanks for all of this! I was able to understand a lot of, but I need some clarification if you are up to it. Here is my bill example.
    (image)
    https://gyazo.com/0e1a0af61b804ae64e752fd371155ba0

I do NOT live on an off to grid lot, however my lights do turn off for a few reasons. For example, not paying my bill or if the power consumption was voted for by the community my lights would go off. When my lights were off I tried to use my generator. I don't recall what my rate change was; however, I knew that my bottom numbers were both negative. Now I followed your advice, and I added some solar panels to my home. The Rate change for power is positive at the top, but negative at the bottom. Does this mean that my generator will work when the lights go off again?
  • Options
    Power is at the top that so that means you are generating power as well as getting it off the grid. Choose to store it and not use the sell option. That should make it available when your lot is without mains.
    Underneath power is the water usage. Is that what you mean when you say negative at the bottom? If so, it shouldn't effect your lights.
  • Options
    > @CelSims said:
    > Power is at the top that so that means you are generating power as well as getting it off the grid. Choose to store it and not use the sell option. That should make it available when your lot is without mains.
    > Underneath power is the water usage. Is that what you mean when you say negative at the bottom? If so, it shouldn't effect your lights.

Is there a way to post images so I can show you what I mean?
  • Options
    I usually use imgur but I'm not sure if you can post pictures yet as you are new. Have a look at the bill I posted above. On the right, power is at the top - in green on mine,with a surplus stored of 28. Then water is below, also green on mine.
  • Options
  • Options
    > @CelSims said:
    > I usually use imgur but I'm not sure if you can post pictures yet as you are new. Have a look at the bill I posted above. On the right, power is at the top - in green on mine,with a surplus stored of 28. Then water is below, also green on mine.

Here is a gyazo shot.

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    vekSKgI.png
  • Options
    Ok. I'm a bit confused because your bill is showing -47 stored and I'm not sure how that is possible. You are now gaining +20 power a day so I'm assuming that once that -47 is caught up and starting to be +, that you will be able to use power when the mains is off. That might take 3 sim days.
    That is assuming that your house will draw power off the mains first and not straight from your own generation. Can you check in one or two sim days and see how it differs?
  • Options
    > @simgirl1010 said:
    > (Image)

Thank you!
  • Options
    > @CelSims said:
    > Ok. I'm a bit confused because your bill is showing -47 stored and I'm not sure how that is possible. You are now gaining +20 power a day so I'm assuming that once that -47 is caught up and starting to be +, that you will be able to use power when the mains is off. That might take 3 sim days.
    > That is assuming that your house will draw power off the mains first and not straight from your own generation. Can you check in one or two sim days and see how it differs?

Yes I will! Thanks :)
  • Options
    I'll check in tomorrow morning and np!
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    how do i get into the power menu???
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    how do i get into the power menu???

Click on the mailbox.
  • Options
    Click on your sims mailbox to see the bills.
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    for some reason i cant open my bills menu maybe a mod ??
  • Options
    FireFly2510FireFly2510 Posts: 13 New Member
    Ok, I am super perplexed by all this, and I am glad to see I am not the only one.

I have been playing around with the bills system, and can't quite figure out the math on all this. If I have a solar panel that has a power production rate of 2, but a light has a power consumption rate of 10, do I need 5 solar panels to produce light?

Right now I have a lot with the off-the-grid trait. I put a water spring trait on it as well, with 4 solar panels, and zero electronic devices (only a fridge which was off-the-grid compatible with ice in it. Let it run for a few sim days, and didn't build up much of anything for store electricity.

Does anyone understand how the bills/power consumption/generation works? because I am honestly super confused right now.