Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the Grid

What’s being upgraded for the off the grid lot trait in this coming patch? Also why isn’t there a off the grid fridge? 😬😬
ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

Comments

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I don’t know all the details but I’ve heard that there will be improvements to the search function for off the grid items (so I’m also assume all things that function off the grid will be labeled as such). And new methods for water retrieval.

Would love to hear the other confirmed stuff also.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    We get a catalog category for off the grid items and some of the fridges will have a new interaction to add ice to them. Not sure where we'll get the ice from but whatever.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    We get a catalog category for off the grid items and some of the fridges will have a new interaction to add ice to them. Not sure where we'll get the ice from but whatever.

I can’t finish a lot of my new builds without the patch and it’s so frustrating lol. But it’ll be nice to be able to “add ice” to some of the fridges.

• Options
    I don’t know all the details but I’ve heard that there will be improvements to the search function for off the grid items (so I’m also assume all things that function off the grid will be labeled as such). And new methods for water retrieval.

Would love to hear the other confirmed stuff also.

Yes I’m super excited for the “off the grid” section in build/buy.

• Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    With off the grid you can still use the fridge to make salad and grilled cheese. You can also get quick meals. I watched a youtuber do an off the grid series. I did not know this or if she used a mod or not. It is unclear to me what is free with the patch and what comes with Eco Lifestyle. I do hope at least the cheaper dew collector and a generator would be in the free patch.
  • Options
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    With off the grid you can still use the fridge to make salad and grilled cheese. You can also get quick meals. I watched a youtuber do an off the grid series. I did not know this or if she used a mod or not. It is unclear to me what is free with the patch and what comes with Eco Lifestyle. I do hope at least the cheaper dew collector and a generator would be in the free patch.

Those are only coming with the pack. And how did the fridge work if there isn’t any electricity 🤔😍

• Options
    KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member

Those are only coming with the pack. And how did the fridge work if there isn’t any electricity 🤔😍

There's a vintage style fridge that comes with ROM, and an "ice box" that comes with another pack (I think either ROM or GTW).
  • Options
    Krueger wrote: »

There's a vintage style fridge that comes with ROM, and an "ice box" that comes with another pack (I think either ROM or GTW).

Hmm, do they just not say ‘functional off the grid”? Because as I was scrolling I didn’t see any of them say that. But also some of the candle items didn’t say it as well even tho they’re candles which means they should work off grid.

• Options

I've found that with OTG, if you have a refrigerator, a stove, and an outdoor grill, you can get a larger variety of dishes.
  • Options

Hmm, do they just not say ‘functional off the grid”? Because as I was scrolling I didn’t see any of them say that. But also some of the candle items didn’t say it as well even tho they’re candles which means they should work off grid.

Hmm. They had the "functional off the grid" message for me. If you give me like ten minutes I'll see if I can take a picture and post it on here (probably more like fifteen because my computer is slow).
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I have never played off the grid. I do not know how she did it but her Sim made grilled cheese and a salad. No one knows what the free patch will contain for sure until it comes out. I did read on twitter that some cheaper items will be free. I do not know what they meant by cheaper. In the livestream I thought they said the new bike was in the free update but I could be wrong. The sound on Twitch was not very good.
  • Options

Hmm. They had the "functional off the grid" message for me. If you give me like ten minutes I'll see if I can take a picture and post it on here (probably more like fifteen because my computer is slow).

I appreciate it. I think my game might be glitches 🤔🤔 My island living ladders are being marked as cc when they shouldnt.

• Options
    I have never played off the grid. I do not know how she did it but her Sim made grilled cheese and a salad. No one knows what the free patch will contain for sure until it comes out. I did read on twitter that some cheaper items will be free. I do not know what they meant by cheaper. In the livestream I thought they said the new bike was in the free update but I could be wrong. The sound on Twitch was not very good.

The new bike is with the new pack. And yeah I know the major stuff we’re getting, I’d need to rewatch the stream to see what he said about the new off the grid stuff.

• Options

I appreciate it. I think my game might be glitches 🤔🤔 My island living ladders are being marked as cc when they shouldnt.

I think??? all refrigerators work OTG whether they're marked that way right now or not. I haven't tried all of them because there's a certain aesthetic I've been going for in my game, but I could have sworn they all worked.

• Options

I think??? all refrigerators work OTG whether they're marked that way right now or not. I haven't tried all of them because there's a certain aesthetic I've been going for in my game, but I could have sworn they all worked.

Hmm okay sounds good. I have to wait for the patch to finish everything anyway to I’ll definitely take another look through then.

• Options

I could have sworn that they had the off the grid message when I placed them, but I'm not seeing it anymore. So sorry! I'm doing a historical save right now and I must have assumed that "vintage looking" automatically meant "no electricity". Again, very sorry for causing any confusion!
  • Options

I could have sworn that they had the off the grid message when I placed them, but I'm not seeing it anymore. So sorry! I'm doing a historical save right now and I must have assumed that "vintage looking" automatically meant "no electricity". Again, very sorry for causing any confusion!

No you’re fine! Thank you for checking for me. Also watching James Turner’s video and they had the antique fridge in the off the grid lot so I’m assuming it does work off the grid along with the wood stove.

• Options

No you’re fine! Thank you for checking for me. Also watching James Turner’s video and they had the antique fridge in the off the grid lot so I’m assuming it does work off the grid along with the wood stove.

They work, they just limit the amount of dishes you can make which is why it's better to have more ways to get food than less because they'll all give you different recipes available. You can get salad and quick meals from the fridges, but you can make mac and cheese, eggs and bacon with the stove, and you can make grilled foods on the grill. Also sorry to keep jumping in randomly lol.
  • Options

They work, they just limit the amount of dishes you can make which is why it's better to have more ways to get food than less because they'll all give you different recipes available. You can get salad and quick meals from the fridges, but you can make mac and cheese, eggs and bacon with the stove, and you can make grilled foods on the grill. Also sorry to keep jumping in randomly lol.

No you’re great! I haven’t used the lot trait a bunch so I’m still learning. And yeah I put that barrel grill in the kitchen instead of a fridge lol. Their (my Sims) house is a little (a lot) run down so I wanted it to look as rags as possible lol

• Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited May 2020
    Just an FYI, every fridge works off the grid, even the DU mini fridge. You will have limited options on what your sim can make but all the food gets the usual benefit of staying fresh in them for up to seven days. None of them are listed as working off the grid.
    In a weeks time they will have the option to 'add ice', which I assume means that if you don't keep them cool they might start to not work. Water for ice will be collectable from rivers and ponds iirc.
    If you simply want to store food to keep it fresh, the selling tables from CL or JI also work for that.
  • Options
    CelSims wrote: »
    Just an FYI, every fridge works off the grid, even the DU mini fridge. You will have limited options on what your sim can make but all the food gets the usual benefit of staying fresh in them for up to seven days. None of them are listed as working off the grid.
    In a weeks time they will have the option to 'add ice', which I assume means that if you don't keep them cool they might start to not work. Water for ice will be collectable from rivers and ponds iirc.
    If you simply want to store food to keep it fresh, the selling tables from CL or JI also work for that.

You’re the best! Thank you so much! The mini fridge will be perfect for my storyline! 🖤 And good to know about the tables I had no idea!

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    So far as I can tell Off The Grid will be a viable playstyle rather than a painful challenge thanks to edits being made to items and the ability to provide your own power, because Ec-Lifestyle will be bringing a lot of items, more items will be altered to Off The Grid, and the Off The Grid tag will be searchable.

All candles will be converted to Off The Grid, including Base-Games.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    Loanet wrote: »
    So far as I can tell Off The Grid will be a viable playstyle rather than a painful challenge thanks to edits being made to items and the ability to provide your own power, because Ec-Lifestyle will be bringing a lot of items, more items will be altered to Off The Grid, and the Off The Grid tag will be searchable.

Yes! I’m not really doing a full rags to riches but more of a grunge/dirty to modern/industrial type of gameplay. And I’m happy about that because there was a candle chandelier I wanted to use but it didn’t specify it was off the grid so I’m glad they’ll be upgrading them all.

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member

Yes! I’m not really doing a full rags to riches but more of a grunge/dirty to modern/industrial type of gameplay. And I’m happy about that because there was a candle chandelier I wanted to use but it didn’t specify it was off the grid so I’m glad they’ll be upgrading them all.

This is a very 'rags to riches' pack but it's also good for those big on crafting since you can make most of your own stuff. People are still suspicious it'll be too easy to make money though, and I don't blame them. Writing is still OPed as heck as a career.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options

This is a very 'rags to riches' pack but it's also good for those big on crafting since you can make most of your own stuff. People are still suspicious it'll be too easy to make money though, and I don't blame them. Writing is still OPed as heck as a career.

My Sim is saving up for college and I have the “bigger college bills mod” so it’ll take a while to save up.