Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your main sim's relationships like with family members?

QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
What is your main sim's relationship like with family? Do they see relatives that live outside of the house very often? Do they have a love/hate or even a hate/hate relationship with any of their relatives? What kind of activities do they do together with extended family? Leave a comment and let us know.

I'll start. The following are from my Vintage Newcrest game (1930s-1960s) that I double post on Tumblr and on the Stories and Legacies board here on the forums.

871e3ee332dfd0ce66ee5804ee6e8e5252e3634e.png
I have 2 main sims, Manny and Vivian, who are newlyweds and live in their own house. They have a very loving and physically intimate relationship.

606544cb35919a5ae70ff48d6bd3c6eaa5e7b03f.png
Vivian has a close relationship with her mom. Sometimes she goes over and watches her mom's soap opera, Remembered Hollow, with her.

8808cbaa154fd4feb48a88ab9fd33cf43c61493a.png
Her dad is kind of grumpy (I didn't make him like that, he's just always grumpy for no apparent reason), but they still have a good and loving relationship.

88d167fcf9c7950201da6fd0356574f0e1d69bc7.png
Vivian's and Manny's parents were good friends before Vivian and Manny even started dating, so Vivian knew her mother-in-law from an early age, and they get along very well.

b2e9653e6e01713a0aba9d7c0d7757aa06740c0d.png
Sometimes Vivian's older sister, Comfort, gets on her nerves, but they are like peas in a pod and often hang out together, go ice skating, and things like that.

7ddfd9aac46ef75631db9ba718c8d031897c5729.png
Manny has a teenage brother, Kyle, who he feels protective of and helps with advice. He also does activities with his brother, like going to the boxing gym together.

7547ac7aa689d1e4e83a43d41778fa8e6c8fea1e.png
Manny has a good relationship with his parents and with his in-laws. At family gatherings, Manny, his dad, his brother, and his father-in-law will play songs on their guitars while the family gathers around. Manny also works for his father-in-law at a retail store.

(They do have conflict with other sims in their lives, just not with their family members.)

Manny has some more extended family in Sulani, but I haven't brought them into the picture yet. How do your sims get along with their relatives and what activities do they do with them?

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yea my Sim’s parents and siblings are always coming by her house. Her cousin, uncle, and grandparents stop by randomly too.

But it could just be they stop by because they have the highest relationships of people she knows.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I don't really have "main sims" because I start new saves too often. I play mostly families and tend to forget about maintaining friendships so my sims mostly have good relationships with family members. I plan to branch out with other gameplay styles as the worlds develop but I love creating dynasties so apart from the "princess" who is also an archaelogist, I haven't strayed beyond family play yet. Fun fact, the princess is also an married to an archaelogist. They may have to send their kid to stay with the grandmother and uncle so they can focus on their careers. I'm playing 3 sets of families, 2 of which now feature grown up children and grandkids. The adult kids of the 2 extended families have keys to their childhood homes and frequently visit, and the parents often visit them in their own homes too.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    Either love or hatred, nothing in between.

Let's see... My main sim is Daniel Reed. Both Daniel and his husband, Gavin, have ex-girlfriends they are still good friends with. Gavin also has a son with his ex. I swap the boy back and forth between the two families, since he gets raised equally by his dad, mom, mom's new boyfriend and dad's new husband.

Gavin's parents are very welcoming and often visit. I hardly ever play them in their house in Willow Creek, they do not even have a job. But I regularly move them in for major holidays or vacations (keeping a placeholder sim in their house in the meantime).

So much for the love part, now for the hatred:

Daniel hates Gavin's half-brother with all the passion of a hot-headed sim. I cannot hold this against him, seeing that this half-brother is allied with the aliens and faciliates the abductions - among the victims so far were both Daniel and his ex. The half-brother, however, doesn't exist as a sim in my save. I want him to stay a phantom in the background, not walk by the house or play violin at the town square.

Daniel also has a god-daughter, Emma, with whom he has a surprisingly good relationship, despite her mother hating Daniel. He has shot her husband... after that husband betrayed and nearly killed him... Uh, yes, nice family. Anyway, Daniel is forbidden from coming close to Emma, her mother and step-father, but when the game spawns Emma nearby, I often have them interact in secret.

@QueenofMyshuno the Daniel Phillips I currently blog about is an alternate version of the real Daniel. In this universe he never shot John, so the family dynmaics are different from those in my main save.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @Mariefoxprice83 A princess archeologist sounds fun to play!

@EnkiSchmidt Your game sounds really involved with intricate relationships between the characters. So cool!

Edit: EnkiSchmidt: Wait...Is this the same Daniel that's an android? I've read your tumblr, and I'm getting confused now.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    My Sims tend to be somewhat distant from their families, except the matriarch who started my line.
    I only play with one Sim at a time. They eventually marry and have kids, and the kids tend to be close at first because that just happens. But as soon as I decide which of the children is my next main Sim, they move out into the matriarch's house and I focus on them and ignore (or occasionally kill) any other family members.
    I've always played this way.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    My sims are close with the ones that move out eventually. I've been playing with all of them, all the family tree. The only family members that i, and my sims, forget completelly are family members of my sim's spouses. I don't even remember to check who their parents are or if they already have kids.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    What is your main sim's relationship like with family? Do they see relatives that live outside of the house very often? Do they have a love/hate or even a hate/hate relationship with any of their relatives? What kind of activities do they do together with extended family? Leave a comment and let us know.

I'll start. The following are from my Vintage Newcrest game (1930s-1960s) that I double post on Tumblr and on the Stories and Legacies board here on the forums.

871e3ee332dfd0ce66ee5804ee6e8e5252e3634e.png
    I have 2 main sims, Manny and Vivian, who are newlyweds and live in their own house. They have a very loving and physically intimate relationship.

606544cb35919a5ae70ff48d6bd3c6eaa5e7b03f.png
    Vivian has a close relationship with her mom. Sometimes she goes over and watches her mom's soap opera, Remembered Hollow, with her.

8808cbaa154fd4feb48a88ab9fd33cf43c61493a.png
    Her dad is kind of grumpy (I didn't make him like that, he's just always grumpy for no apparent reason), but they still have a good and loving relationship.

88d167fcf9c7950201da6fd0356574f0e1d69bc7.png
    Vivian's and Manny's parents were good friends before Vivian and Manny even started dating, so Vivian knew her mother-in-law from an early age, and they get along very well.

b2e9653e6e01713a0aba9d7c0d7757aa06740c0d.png
    Sometimes Vivian's older sister, Comfort, gets on her nerves, but they are like peas in a pod and often hang out together, go ice skating, and things like that.

7ddfd9aac46ef75631db9ba718c8d031897c5729.png
    Manny has a teenage brother, Kyle, who he feels protective of and helps with advice. He also does activities with his brother, like going to the boxing gym together.

7547ac7aa689d1e4e83a43d41778fa8e6c8fea1e.png
    Manny has a good relationship with his parents and with his in-laws. At family gatherings, Manny, his dad, his brother, and his father-in-law will play songs on their guitars while the family gathers around. Manny also works for his father-in-law at a retail store.

(They do have conflict with other sims in their lives, just not with their family members.)

Manny has some more extended family in Sulani, but I haven't brought them into the picture yet. How do your sims get along with their relatives and what activities do they do with them?

Just stopping by to say I love this all so much, @QueenofMyshuno! I 😍 making up fun relationships for my Sims and their extended families. Everyone always has their own fun things they like to do together. The two sisters like to bike around Sulani to the wine bar on weekends. All of the boys in the extended family go for a camping trip every summer. It’s fun to make up little relationships, I wish they had more of a lasting impact on Sims’ lives and memories!
  • Options
    @EnkiSchmidt Your game sounds really involved with intricate relationships between the characters. So cool!
    Thank you! I in turn admire simmers who devote the same depth to individual sims. Like the christmas picture taking scene you posted, that was so warm and full of life. Your sims are defined by themselves, mine by their connections and role in the overall story.
    Edit: EnkiSchmidt: Wait...Is this the same Daniel that's an android? I've read your tumblr, and I'm getting confused now.
    Yes, the very same. The save I'm blogging from on tumblr is a What-if version of my rotational save, condensed to just the two families, Phillips and Reed (of the latter we have met only Gavin so far). In the rotational save Daniel shot John, but in the tumblr version he held back, so John is still alive here.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    @Mariefoxprice83 A princess archeologist sounds fun to play!

Yeah, she's the late king's oldest daughter and my favourite sim in that save. :) Most of the time I randomise my sims' aspirations and the JA aspirations are among my favourite. Happily her husband has the same aspiration so I can work on their goals together, rather than having to ignore his aspiration or change it to something that actually works in conjunction with her goals. When my sims marry NPCs I always put "my" sims first, of course. I just remembered that last time I played their household they hired a live in housekeeper/maid/nanny to look after their kid so they could go off adventuring together. :)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Most of them have very close relationships with their family members, but everyone hates Max Villareal, the (half)brother and stepson. He's moved out and living on his own, no contact with family. He always got angry when they were around anyway.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited May 2020
    My main Sim is completely in love and best friends with his wife. He adores his children, including the three who moved out, and sees them all the time. He spends lots of time with extended family, including his parents, grandparents, cousins, and second cousins. They have lots of get-togethers where they talk, eat, swim, dance, and play music together. They enjoy telling jokes and hugging. His grandparents enjoy bicycling together. His wife loves jogging with their dog. The triplets run a veterinary clinic together, although it is mostly run by one of them.

By the way, I love the picture of Manny and his family playing guitar! :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    My main family is pretty close naturally. It's my simself and my simfamily (pictured at a Sunday dinner in my bio pic). The eldest sim went through a phase of being distant as a teen and that coupled with his natural mean spiritedness caused some tension in the household but he's mellowed now that he's a young adult. Funny enough, though everyone has literally always had high relationship with the twins even when the eldest was going through his phase he still had a significant soft spot for his youngest siblings.

The family is pretty close with the mothers extended family and they often visit and spend time with her mother & grandmother (the kids great-grandmother) who is the de facto matriarch of the family. However, she has a husband (the only great-grandfather the kids know despite him not being related biologically) that hates children and always gripes whenever they come over. So the kids don't really hang around him much but the mother has a decent relationship with him and he's otherwise harmless so long as he can fish and garden in peace. The mother also has a younger brother that is newlywed to Nina Caliente. The two live in San Myshuno so they are a ways a way but they often visit my sims and they and their two young kids are frequent guests during the holidays.

The father is also close to his in-laws. His mother died when the eldest and my simself was really young so he's grown very attached to the great-grandmother and is always sure to check in on her when he's not working. He has a pretty large family but they've grown distant since their mothers passing and barely make time to see each other (really I just haven't made them yet😅). As a result, the kids don't have any ties to that side of their family whatsoever.
  • Options
    @popstarissa Thank you for your nice comment! A bike ride and a wine bar sounds really nice right now! I wish I could leave my house, LOL. Your game sounds fun.

@EnkiSchmidt Thank you so much for your comment on the Christmas picture. Also, thanks for the explanation about the alternative timelines. That will help me understand what's going on. I really love your whole deviant android concept so much!

@Rouenpucelle Thank you for your compliment on the guitar-playing pic. :) Your game sounds really nice with all the family connections and activities. I especially like the part about the grandparents bicycling together because I love it when people include their elders in gameplay and don't just move them out and forget about them.

@Bobisbae I love the great grandfather sim you described -- what with the griping, the dislike of kids, the fishing, and the gardening, plus having a good relationship with his spouse despite his crankiness, he seems like he has a lot of personality. Maybe not the most pleasant personality, LOL, but personality nonetheless. He seems like a guy you could run into in real life.

• Options
    Ah, those laurels aren't earned. I stole adapted the deviant concept from a Playstation game. Just added more family members and backstories to those characters that had none or very little. Daniel actually got deactivated before the revolution, but it was fun to write him into it.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I try to maintain good relationships in all my families. Some families have bad eggs though. Any sims with the evil or mean traits are impossible to keep good relationships with. I've actually resorted to switching out both of those traits.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My families tend to be incredibly close, even across generations. I am not sure who I'd consider my "main" Sim - the one I most recently aged to YA to explore the San Myshuno arts scene sees his step-brother (still a teen) nearly every day, as well as the parent who didn't raise him (apparently making up for lost time).

1CmFOHQ.png

gZzkkBv.png

He has great Parenthood pack traits relating to family and upbringing, but even where I don't hit all those notes, my family members visit each other frequently, if not regularly. I do need to work a bit to introduce cousins who were raised separately.
  • Options
    rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    My sims usually are very busy sims, so my sims only really hang out with their family when they get phone calls of them, when they visit or when I feel like visiting them.

Maybe it's because I don't really have a good relation with my own family that I don't really care about it in my game. I see most of my family only a few times a year. Now it's been longer due to the pandemic and me not having been to the last few get togethers because college life is really busy.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    I started with a two-person household. They've just started dating. We're going to expand soon though.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    My playstyle is kinda boring. All family members like each other a lot :lol: i wanna add more drama to their relationships, but then i end up feeling bad :sweat_smile:
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    rubytinkerrubytinker Posts: 48 Member
    I actually find it difficult to play families. The best I can manage is a pet or two. I tend to unintentionally favor one sim and neglect the rest. sigh... Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    rubytinkerrubytinker Posts: 48 Member
    You all are inspiring me to really try harder with a family group
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Aww I love how your family is, with me it depends on the family, one family I didn't think I'd like as I prefer long and wanted to try short on everything really grew on me. Even though it was short and they had limited time they dated, made friends, got together for every holiday, birthday and special occasion. When one member passed they got together to go to the cemetery and lay them to rest then they would all go to the main house for dinner. They got one short year
    dvEsLbb.jpg
    aAvxcuR.png Thanksgiving to Thanksgiving I kind of miss them now.

Though more currently ehhh most of them could work on it depending on where their stories are lol.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    rubytinker wrote: »
    I actually find it difficult to play families. The best I can manage is a pet or two. I tend to unintentionally favor one sim and neglect the rest. sigh... Anyone else have this problem?

I do too, it starts to feel chaotic. But, I don't unintentionally favor one Sim, I do it on purpose. Lol.
    Even if my Sim has 10 kids, I'll pick just one to focus on and ignore everyone else.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    xSongxxSongx Posts: 1,562 Member
    I never really focus on the family relationships. Once a kid has moved out, I don't really go out of my way to see them, unless they were a favorite. Obviously if I'm having a party I'll invite them, but my sims don't normally have great relationships. :)
    they/he
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I'm doing the Not So Berry right now as my main gameplay and on grey generation. He doesn't have a great relationship with his parents despite living in the same house yet. They are always working or traveling and he's busy with his daughter and his huge social circle.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png