Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University Help Needed! Solved and Updated

NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
I have only just bought Discover University. I have attempted to enroll a Sim into Foxbury for the first time.
I also chose the option to move her into the Tidal Tower dorm.

As you can imagine, I quickly came across problems. It seems eating is fairly difficult. I understand that there is no build mode and no stoves in the dorms. There is a cafeteria in the commons but although there is a Sim behind it, the option to "Order Food" is greyed out. It tells me that "Dinner opens at 5pm". It's six am in the morning! My Sim is starving for breakfast. She has classes scheduled all morning.

Then there are the classes. I can't seem to find them. :s I can see I have one scheduled, just not how to get there.

Please help. Alternatively I will have to return to an earlier stage in order to study from off campus (or something).
Post edited by NRowe on

Comments

• Options
    DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    There should be refrigerators in the dorm, if not, you can buy one from one of the kiosks around university. At least, that's the case in Britechester. Don't know exactly about Foxbury. Your sim can take some simple meals from those. Other students should be bringing around food sometimes in the dorm as well. It was mostly non-stop for me, but maybe that's different for you.

When it's time to go to class, your sims will try to go early an hour before or as soon as the time hits, you can click 'go to class' in the career panel.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited May 2020
    Breakfasts start at 7am if I remember correctly. Sometimes it is kind of bugged and the option is greyed out and I need to wait till the full hour. Like if I come there to eat at, idk, 2:23pm then I need to wait till 3:00pm. Then the option to order a meal is available.

As for classes, I don't know what is the problem. This has never happened to me. One hour before a class starts my sims go there autonomously. The action appears in their queue.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    In theory, the cafeteria item should also spawn breakfast unless I'm mistaken. You can also get your sim a fridge at the kiosk thingy outside, and a microwave. Alternatively, you could cheat, enable free build and add a cafeteria item to your dorm. I'm confident that one will spawn 3 times a day.

Your sim should go to their classes automatically. Make sure you don't cancel the "go early" action. It takes them a while to walk over campus. It's one of the two rabbit hole buildings on campus though, if you click on them I think there is an option to attend your class (not the skill class, that's something else).
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    if you click on them I think there is an option to attend your class

Such an option has never been available for me. What a bummer, really.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    if you click on them I think there is an option to attend your class

Such an option has never been available for me. What a bummer, really.

I might be mistaken I really am not sure. Can check it out in a bit when I've motivated myself to get up 😅
  • Options
    I definitely couldn’t find any option to Go to Class on the class/career panel, or my Sim or any of the buildings.
    If breakfast starts at 7 that would explain about the cafeteria, I guess. Unless it was a little bugged..
    I think (in the morning) I will go back a save and try again. I’m heading for bed now.
    I will have to look at buying a mini fridge and see whether the dorm mates do leave any food around.. thanks.
  • Options
    StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,449 Member
    @NRowe there's a classroom building near the commons. Just have your sim travel to the commons, pause your game & click on the buildings until you find one that has options for attending skills classes, etc. Should be a building to the left & slightly ahead of the commons I think.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited May 2020
    If your sim doesn't go to class autonomously, once class starts, there will be a button in the career panel on the class under the time of when the class is that will appear and allow you to send them to class. It usually takes them forever to walk though and I find if I've canceled their auto "go to class" early option that pops on it's own, then sending them this way usually takes the entire class to get there and they end up basically missing most of it, if not all of it. The button isn't always there and it's only available once class starts and for the duration of the class, just like the careers and going to work.

You will have to use this button on holidays because they won't auto go early or any other time, classes are not canceled for holidays the same way work would be. Usually I get my sims close to a class building manually before hand on a holiday, or somewhere closer in between if I'm unsure which building it is, and then I use that "go to class" when it becomes available at class time.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    There are two class rabbitholes in Foxbury Institute: one is next to the commons, the other one is next to the stadium (which is next to the dorms). One way to find out which class rabbitholes your sim goes to is to click on them and see if they can attend office hours or not. If they can't, all of the classes take place in the other one. If they can, click on the option if possible to see what classes happen there.
    Of course sims get to the class rabbithole one hour before a class starts.
  • Options
    UPDATE: Thanks for the above guys. I have found the two class buildings now.
    I also found what my problem was. :* Despite being on campus since mid-day Sunday, my Sims term didn’t start until Tuesday morning. The class I had been certain she had on Monday morning was not happening at all. Ops!
    I did buy a fridge from the kiosk in the end, because that is a necessary convenience. After a little more play I’m probably going to chalk this Sim up as a test run and start a new project...