Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to buy a gaming computer

PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
... to play games! I've never bought a computer specifically for games, but now in this era of lockdown I think it's time. Right now I have a Lenovo laptop with the following specs:

Graphics card: GeForce 840M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz
8 Gigs RAM

Obviously I want the new computer to run Sims 4. My current laptop runs Sims 4 pretty well, but lot loading times are slowing down and it lags especially with larger households. I want to be able to run Ultra graphics smoothly and have fast lot loading times.

I also want to be able to use it for VR (Virtual Reality) that I can connect up with my Oculus Quest. Also there are some other games I've been interested in that I can't run on my current laptop, such as Planet Coaster - I'd like to be able to play this type of game.

Any recommendations- either desktop or laptop? Haven't figured out budget yet but I'd start with under $2,000. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    For the same amount of money, you'll get higher performance with a desktop than a laptop. Plus desktops are more modular (you can swap parts out individually) and can be customized, as opposed to laptops that come in a single configuration, where you can only change the storage drive and RAM. If portability matters to you, you can invest in a gaming laptop.

That said, I think around $2000 can get you a top-of-the-line desktop, although this only includes the unit and not peripherals like monitors and keyboards. I've tried gaming on both Intel + GeForce and AMD APU + AMD GPU configurations, and they both do the job just fine, although the latter was before AMD got super competitive with its Ryzen series. So I think the choice of brand is a matter of personal preference.

Also, SSDs are pretty cheap nowadays last I checked, so now would definitely be a good time to buy those.

You can use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to help you choose parts along with their estimated prices.

Here's an example configuration that could work, although this one doesn't have a DVD drive or peripherals.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Thanks @icmnfrsh ! I've never "built" my own PC before. Is this difficult?
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I'd say the process of choosing parts is a bit tricky because you have to make sure they're all compatible, but the PC Part Picker simplifies that by informing you of any possible conflicts. I think you still have to make sure the physical dimensions work though, but I chose an ATX motherboard and a mid-sized ATX case, so I think not having enough physical space shouldn't be too much of a problem.

As for the actual assembly, you'll definitely some knowledge on how to put it all together. Some stores offer assembly for a fee, but that means you also have to buy everything from the same place. You'll just have to look around for one that offers that service and has reasonable prices for its parts.

Oh, and if you have a few hundred dollars to spare, you can upgrade your graphics card from 2070 to 2080 or 2080 Ti. Depending on your needs, you might not need the extra power, but it might last you longer if it takes longer to become obsolete. Maybe.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?