Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm back after 3 years without simming

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Silverofdreams30Silverofdreams30 Posts: 7,201 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hello to you from another Swede,
    I have been playing all the sims games and I love 3 the most.
    Welcome back to the sims 3.
  • Options
    simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    Hello to you from another Swede,
    I have been playing all the sims games and I love 3 the most.
    Welcome back to the sims 3.

Hej där! Tack! I never played Sims 4, I don't think I would like that one, seems so broken.. I also loves 3 the most.
  • Options
    @simIrrevirre
    Oh that’s the Nvidia Control Panel! You can access it without GeForce Experience too! I do know that option but V-Sync on caps the game at 75 or so for me (due to my monitor). I much prefer Fast as Fast is an improved version of V-Sync from what I know! So my game caps at around 150 and is much smoother!

Ok, I might look into that later, I'm just happy I can play right now :D Don't feel like fiddle to much right now, all I been doing for awhile after install windows 10. But thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    sofa23sofa23 Posts: 37 Member
    Hi welcome to Sims 4 :)
  • Options
    Thank you @sofa23 for the welcome, though this is Sims 3, but I know it's easy to get lost in this community :)
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    @simIrrevirre
    Oh that’s the Nvidia Control Panel! You can access it without GeForce Experience too! I do know that option but V-Sync on caps the game at 75 or so for me (due to my monitor). I much prefer Fast as Fast is an improved version of V-Sync from what I know! So my game caps at around 150 and is much smoother!

Yeah, it's your monitor refresh rate that you should use - just happens to be 60 fps for a lot of monitors. It really is an important thing with this game to cap those frame rates, though. I understand from reading that you get no benefit with frame rates over your refresh rate.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    @suzses using Fast on Nvidia means my frame rate is steady at 150FPS without jumping and stuttering. 150 is still better than 75 for me as it means the input lag is less :) it just works for me due to my computer! But I understand why many choose to cap it differently everyone has different computers after all!
    Happy Simming!
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    @suzses using Fast on Nvidia means my frame rate is steady at 150FPS without jumping and stuttering. 150 is still better than 75 for me as it means the input lag is less :) it just works for me due to my computer! But I understand why many choose to cap it differently everyone has different computers after all!
    Happy Simming!

I think the reason most people choose 60 as their frame rate is that's what their monitor uses. And the human eye can't distinguish between 60 and higher frame rates so it serves no purpose if the aim is to get a better picture to go higher than the monitor's required frame rate.

The reason it is kept as low as possible, particularly with laptops, is the faster frame rates cause the video card to get hotter than slower frame rates and there have been cases, when the frame rate wasn't controlled and got very high, where the video card has actually melted. I think new games have built in frame rate limiters but Sims 3 doesn't so that's why we have to set the frame rates manually for this game.
  • Options
    GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    [quote="Karritz;c-17417513"][quote="GardeningSimmer;c-17417178"]@suzses using Fast on Nvidia means my frame rate is steady at 150FPS without jumping and stuttering. 150 is still better than 75 for me as it means the input lag is less :) it just works for me due to my computer! But I understand why many choose to cap it differently everyone has different computers after all!
    Happy Simming![/quote]

I think the reason most people choose 60 as their frame rate is that's what their monitor uses. And the human eye can't distinguish between 60 and higher frame rates so it serves no purpose if the aim is to get a better picture to go higher than the monitor's required frame rate.

The reason it is kept as low as possible, particularly with laptops, is the faster frame rates cause the video card to get hotter than slower frame rates and there have been cases, when the frame rate wasn't controlled and got very high, where the video card has actually melted. I think new games have built in frame rate limiters but Sims 3 doesn't so that's why we have to set the frame rates manually for this game. [/quote]
    There is actually a lot of debate around how much the human eye can see! My monitor is 75 however 150 helps with input lag. I don’t own a laptop and my computer has very strong fans so I never had a problem with heat, but I agree that it is important to cap it more with laptops that aren’t made for gaming!
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Karritz wrote: »

I can tell the difference between 60 and 144 Hz, although it's subtle. I did wonder at first if it was just my imagination, but then I noticed that a 144 Hz monitor had been set to a 60 Hz refresh rate without being told, so there is a qualitative difference for me. I'm sure I can't distinguish between 120 and 144, and I might not even be able to distinguish between 75 and 144, although I've never tested. But some people do feel a slight difference, and using a lower refresh rate can feel like the game is very slightly choppy, or that there's something a little bit off with the monitor.

Of course it's useful to keep GPU load lower for temperature control, and extremely high framerates aren't good for any card. But an fps hovering around 150 and never spiking should be totally fine. Any modern card should be able to handle as long as it doesn't overheat.
  • Options
    CIariteaCIaritea Posts: 48 Member
    Hi and wow 1997! I think I first started playing in 2001. Welcome back :) I'm back after 10 years. Perhaps you will be playing even more due to the current events? That's where I'm at. I used to plays the first Sims and Sims 2 until it killed my video card. I had Sims 3 like 10 years ago briefly but was more interested in another game. Now I'm ready to give it another shot since I'll be in home more these days.
  • Options
    CIaritea wrote: »
    Hi and wow 1997! I think I first started playing in 2001. Welcome back :) I'm back after 10 years. Perhaps you will be playing even more due to the current events? That's where I'm at. I used to plays the first Sims and Sims 2 until it killed my video card. I had Sims 3 like 10 years ago briefly but was more interested in another game. Now I'm ready to give it another shot since I'll be in home more these days.

Hi Claritea and thanks! Did I write 1997? I did... :confounded: what did I get that from, probably my dyscalculia. It should be 2017.

I also started with Sims, Sims 2 but fell in love with Sims 3 (the open world). I'm also staying at home in this horrid corona time. Hope you are well and safe :)
  • Options
    BobbiliciousBobbilicious Posts: 25 Member
    Hii welcome back! I just went back to the sims too about two weeks ago (after 1.5year break I think..)!
    Won't lie and say I already get frustrated by the amount of lag my game has. But I'm not giving up though :p
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    @simIrrevirre Welcome back, I know you are going to love it. The Sims are so armazing, Have been playing from the beginning, loving every minute of it. Open world is the best. Have fun with you sims, no matter how you play.
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Hii welcome back! I just went back to the sims too about two weeks ago (after 1.5year break I think..)!
    Won't lie and say I already get frustrated by the amount of lag my game has. But I'm not giving up though :p

There are things to be careful about to stop the lag, unless it's due to your computer not being up to the task. If you'd like to get some ideas on how to reduce the lag let us know. I currently have a bit of lag in my current saves. 1. is probably because I have mods that allow me to have more than 8 sims and I currently have about 18 sims in the save. 2. the second problem save has a HUGE garden and lots of harvested harvestables. But before the garden grew so HUGE there was no lag.

In any case, enjoy your game.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Welcome back @simIrrevirre. As you can probably tell a lot of new faces and names have joined (including me). Good to see you back playing the Sims.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    ChristinaluvsChristinaluvs Posts: 20 Member
    > @Babykittyjade said:
    > I'm just here to welcome you back. I don't know much myself because I just brought sims 3 and all the packs. So I'm still looking around and learning information as I go. And looking for good mods also. I just googled the nsraa mods and it took me to a sight with all of them and that's where I downloaded mine.There is so much it's overwhelming at times.
    >
    > Sad but funny story.I had the base game and pets many years ago but I was much younger with a bad laptop and didn't know anything about mods. So I've always loved the game but everytime I tried to play it would crash after a while. And now I have this memory that won't go away of me building for hours a beautiful mansion by the beach. Then afterwards running towards the beach with my dog for the first time and I felt like I was in some utopia heaven as I desperately watched them running towards the ocean. Then boom, it crashed and I was scarred for life 🤣🤣 gave it up until just a little while ago since I got myself a nice gaming pc.

Honestly, It's the same for me right now. Except I don't have a literal laptop, I'm using a windows surface and its screen is actually slowly coming off for some reason. I have to wait till I finish an important school/regional exam project before I can try getting it fixed/replaced so I've just kept playing sims on it.
    The last time I played sims 3 was on a very old/slow PC when I was younger and it always crashed during gaming sessions (sobs). I hope I can get a USB and save all my custom content before I move computers or get this one fixed...
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    @simlrrevirre -Hi there welcome back!I've also been on a long forced simming break and will be returining to TS3 once my hard drive is cleaned up though that won't happen until I go to the store to buy the storage device.I've been playing TS2 UC and would also play an insanely Modded out TS3 game with all packs and over 800 Mod package files.I've never had lag from that except for the time my computer fan died and had to get replaced.I've been playing on an over 7year old laptop which is still running almost like new.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, this thread is still alive. Thanks @Evalen, @Nikkei_Simmer, @Bobbilicious and @TadOlson for the welcome back!

It was really good timing to start play again. It keeps me occupied in this Covid 19 situation. The first month I edited a world to my liking in CAW, then made a lot of buildings, and now I started move sims in to the world. I really like the diversity of gameplay in Sims 3 :)

@Bobbilicious have you checked your fps? And @TadOlson wow 800 mods!!